The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Yep. I'm up against that. Most of my pants are 38s and at this point 36s are getting kind of loose.

I have a rule. If they don't fit, you had better make em! :p

This is of course in reference to me gaining weight and being in denial.

Edited by ubkev

Failed at almost everything in terms of aerial stuff this week, I think the stress and humidity is getting to me. Did a run tonight, have to retrain myself to not baby my bad leg or my other hip starts hurting. Yayyy. Sweat so much I had gnats drowning on my forehead! So glamorous.

Anyways, I did get one thing right today on trapeze. Sorry, no bike in this picture haha :

XXIsfs7.jpg

Now it's time to take a long bath and watch some friggin' hockey! 

Edited by Josie914

I'll go out into the mine field of women's bodies and their self image. THIS is not the body of a woman who should have one ounce of insecurity, doubt or low self-esteem. Are you putting us on, Jo? Maybe you should wear that outfit to the interview! Seriously, something doesn't add up here. I guess I'm glad I'm a man.

I'll go out into the mine field of women's bodies and their self image. THIS is not the body of a woman who should have one ounce of insecurity, doubt or low self-esteem. Are you putting us on, Jo? Maybe you should wear that outfit to the interview! Seriously, something doesn't add up here. I guess I'm glad I'm a man.

This is something her and I have been working on. For me it was drinking, for her it's body image. She can explain it in greater detail if she wants, but we've kinda concluded there's a lot of stuff from her childhood that screwed her perception of women's bodies up pretty bad. It's why I've tried to build sports into our relationship. Getting into hockey and fitness in college really helped my self-esteem, and I think through this kinda stuff she can work through her body image issues too. I want it to be a team effort. 

I'm just kind of a mess. I've struggled with body image issues since I was about 12. I'd been an underweight kid because of my heart problem, then one day, I woke up a lot bigger than everyone else around me. I became the butt of jokes, bullying, stalking. Notes in my locker, websites made about me. "Oh honey, it must be tough to be the big one" from people's mothers. So self deprecation seemed to be the best option and I usually padded it with humor. 

Throw in some stuff at home, a couple abusive relationships/cheating, and whenever I lose control, as I have lately with my job situation, I fall back into going nuts about this ol' husk that carries me around.  

"If I can't even maintain a slim body/be polished like seemingly everyone else I know, then how the hell am I going to pull off getting a job/holding it down?" It makes NO sense. It's irrational as hell. I know, I know.

I could blame the media, but it's really just me, my experiences, my upbringing. Every person has their crazy, and this shallow one is mine. 

I've tried to focus on getting stronger/ tougher. I can hang with the guys in hockey, I can hold a full grown woman upside down with my bare hands. Trying to look at my body as a machine rather than a piece of art. I'll never be the ideal, willowy, effortless beauty that inspires art, but I can be a bada$$ and have a lot of fun doing so. 

I greatly fear ever having children because I am afraid I'll pass it on, as my mother did to me. I realize confidence is what makes a person beautiful, but for some reason I've never been able to find it. I don't mean to fish for compliments. I just get so angry with myself that it bubbles over and makes EVERYONE miserable. I'm sorry.

Buy d4rk a beer if you see him, he somehow puts up with my rage inducing whining. 

Thanks for going for it PA; I saw the picture, thought of the conversation, and immediately tried to think of ways to non-creepily complement a young woman over the internet as middle-aged, married, parent. I didn't think it could be done, but then you go and do it with great aplomb.

Thanks for going for it PA; I saw the picture, thought of the conversation, and immediately tried to think of ways to non-creepily complement a young woman over the internet as middle-aged, married, parent. I didn't think it could be done, but then you go and do it with great aplomb.

Thanks. Not sure my comment helped though. As I understand it, it doesn't matter how many times and in how many different ways some women hear it. They just don't believe deep down they're worthy. Jo called her body a husk! And said it would never inspire art. In that photo, it was art. I think she'll eventually work it out, with the help of her awesome guy.

Thanks. Not sure my comment helped though. As I understand it, it doesn't matter how many times and in how many different ways some women hear it. They just don't believe deep down they're worthy. Jo called her body a husk! And said it would never inspire art. In that photo, it was art. I think she'll eventually work it out, with the help of her awesome guy.

haha you're all very sweet. Sorry to put you in an awkward situation. I guess it's worth the realization that a lot of people out there (not just girls) feel that way all the time, and we suck at taking compliments. 

Believe it or not, I've come a LooOOooOoong way. Figuring out why I became this way has helped. d4rk listening to me instead of just going "Oh shut up, you're fine, I'm sick of it" was what I needed. Though that's necessary from time to time as well! I used to starve myself and all kinds of stupid counterproductive stuff. Landed in the hospital a couple times, helped contribute to a heart attack at 15. Now i just whine and vent and complain at strangers and acquaintances on the internet. :P 

Back to your regularly scheduled athletic thread: People, be sure you're drinking enough water. It is effing humid out there. No, beer doesn't count! Sincerely, someone who doesn't drink enough h2o while exercising and is learning the effects.... 

This is something her and I have been working on. For me it was drinking, for her it's body image. She can explain it in greater detail if she wants, but we've kinda concluded there's a lot of stuff from her childhood that screwed her perception of women's bodies up pretty bad. It's why I've tried to build sports into our relationship. Getting into hockey and fitness in college really helped my self-esteem, and I think through this kinda stuff she can work through her body image issues too. I want it to be a team effort.

You both seem to have your issues/demons under control. Congratulations. Very impressive. And very admirable.

Almost forgot about the hike last week with my friend who came to visit -- this was in the foothills near Golden.  About 6 miles and ~1000 ft elevation gain.

Josie, anybody that can do what you do should be proud. That takes some dedication.

Bio, I'm assuming the 13er means it's a 13k? Or does it mean you hiked a 13,000 mountain? Awesome, pics by the way!

Thanks!  Your second guess was correct; it's short for 13,000+ ft (13,300 in this case).  There are over 50 peaks out here that are over 14,000 ft (14ers), and people in CO seem to be moderately obsessed with hiking them all, haha.

Edit: post merge fail... the pics here go with the new post, not the reply to JJ.  D'oh.

post-1683-0-87340800-1464572223_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-13748100-1464572266_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-64311200-1464572380_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-21130300-1464572428_thumb.jpg

Edited by biodork

Almost forgot about the hike last week with my friend who came to visit -- this was in the foothills near Golden.  About 6 miles and ~1000 ft elevation gain.

Thanks!  Your second guess was correct; it's short for 13,000+ ft (13,300 in this case).  There are over 50 peaks out here that are over 14,000 ft (14ers), and people in CO seem to be moderately obsessed with hiking them all, haha.

Edit: post merge fail... the pics here go with the new post, not the reply to JJ.  D'oh.

Well, I guess you did both. A 13K up a 13er. That's gotta be tough. I live at 14' above sea level, when I go hiking at 5500-6500' it's very noticeable, the thin air. I can't imagine @13,000'. I remember doing Snowbird, UT when I was a kid, I think that was 12,000' but that wasn't a hike, just a tram ride to the top. Great pics, I pictured that area to be a little more brown.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Well, I guess you did both. A 13K up a 13er. That's gotta be tough. I live at 14' above sea level, when I go hiking at 5500-6500' it's very noticeable, the thin air. I can't imagine @13,000'. I remember doing Snowbird, UT when I was a kid, I think that was 12,000' but that wasn't a hike, just a tram ride to the top. Great pics, I pictured that area to be a little more brown.

Oh, we didn't do 13k up, haha... the trailhead started around 10,400 ft, so we hiked about 3000 ft up to the summit. But yeah, we were all huffing and puffing pretty early and took lots of breaks with the thin air at that elevation. One of the guys in the group had only moved to Denver two months prior from Texas, so he was hurting for sure. But we all did it! :)

Did 12 miles today with the boy. It was a nice 92 degrees out.

There was so much pollen in the air, it looked like it was snowing. you can almost make it out in this picture.

20160530_140607_zps6kfurihm.jpg

20160530_140559_HDR_zps7utyozef.jpg

And Mexico's gonna pay for it!

20160530_150413_zpsbdkzmy1w.jpg

A good weekend and I'm in reach for a month of 800 bicycle miles with a decent ride Tuesday night.  I got in 150 miles over the long weekend, with 31 miles Friday night,

13301248_996162090432681_787036148775698

41 miles on the Saturday morning breakfast ride,

13315363_994898380559052_637674129735342

27 miles on the Sunday night pub crawl,

13346152_996139227101634_395614405729567

and 51 miles today with a couple of friends, doing a waterfall-to-waterfall ride to the northwest and southwest corners of the county.

13305259_996165133765710_352824989667579

13350468_996165230432367_696589070967165

If I can get 33 miles in Tuesday night that will give me 800 for the month of May.

Edited by Robin Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.