Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

How do you come to that conclusion on Ruhwedel? IMO he was our best defensemen since the day he joined the team. Hard to imagine he doesn't push for a spot in camp, looked much better than Pysyk to me.

Wouldn't speak for Weave, but I'd expect that to be the case because a lot of times a D-man (or even a forward - see Foligno) comes up late in the season after having been in a groove at a lower level and manages to keep it going through the end of that season. Doesn't mean he'll be able to do it in a full role for a full season. MAGs would be the most recent example of this.

(Looks like once again TB beat me to the punch.)

I've more or less been a "Darcy supporter" as of late -- loved the Hodgson/Kassian swap and I'm not really too concerned with he and Pegula throwing money at Ehrhoff and Leino. Goose for a first was a no brainer. But today was a buzzkill. I'm sure both of the guys we drafted will be good NHL defensemen, but I'm just not sure how it fills our needs-- yeah we added two big strong defensemen, but who's gonna score goals? Behind Armia is there a single "goal scoring forward" prospect in the entire system?

No, but there's top-4 D prospects to flip for that.....in theory.

Wasn't Ruhwedel signed with the condition that he stays in the NHL?

Yes. For the remainder of the season. It is the only reason we saw him at all.

Seriously, are we counting on Rudy? Really? And he is why drafting a skilled, nasty D man is a bad idea? FFS the kid wouldn't have seen the ice in the NHL for a short timne if he didn't have some bargaining leverage.

Wouldn't speak for Weave, but I'd expect that to be the case because a lot of times a D-man (or even a forward - see Foligno) comes up late in the season after having been in a groove at a lower level and manages to keep it going through the end of that season. Doesn't mean he'll be able to do it in a full role for a full season. MAGs would be the most recent example of this.

Yea sorry, I'm waiting for my pizza to finish and basically doing nothing but refresh right now....feel free to throw jokes my way, it's warranted :lol:

I've more or less been a "Darcy supporter" as of late -- loved the Hodgson/Kassian swap and I'm not really too concerned with he and Pegula throwing money at Ehrhoff and Leino. Goose for a first was a no brainer. But today was a buzzkill. I'm sure both of the guys we drafted will be good NHL defensemen, but I'm just not sure how it fills our needs-- yeah we added two big strong defensemen, but who's gonna score goals? Behind Armia is there a single "goal scoring forward" prospect in the entire system?

I think he can grab 3 players that can find the back of the net with the next 3 picks. But if he picks Fucale I will absolutely lose it. I feel the same way that this team has any goal scoring forwards. I guess this is what they meant by suffering.

See: Gragnani, Marc-Andre. With the amount of games Ruhwedel played, we have absolutely zero clue what kind of NHL player he is. Same with Pysyk.

Valid point on MAG, I suppose. I have no rebuttal other than that Ruhwedel impressed me. I think he competes for a starting role.

no

Thank you for your input, "drunken idiot." :doh:

This too. Right now Rudy is MAG/Sulzer/heck, Gerbe for that brief stint back when Boston was kicking our ass in the playoffs.

Grigoenko and Laarrssoonn

No, but there's top-4 D prospects to flip for that.....in theory.

Theoretically, it should be easier to improve the F's via trade than the D, but ottomh I can't think of a loaded D team that dropped some of that depth to significantly improve their attack.

Valid point on MAG, I suppose. I have no rebuttal other than that Ruhwedel impressed me. I think he competes for a starting role.

Thank you for your input, "drunken idiot." :doh:

Ruhwedel is a 7th dman maybe or 2 way contract at best next year. He doesn't unseat Weber, Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Mcbain, McNabb or Sulzer/Pardy if one or both of them are resigned. Or either one of the new guys, I forgot about them.

Edited by drunken idiot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.