Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

The coach actually has a role for that someone has to fill for those last three games. On the other hand, if a team goes without a GM over that same period, no one will notice.

The have assistant coaches who can fill in to ride out the remaining 3 games

People are expecting Trevor Linden to be announced this morning as the Canucks Pat Lafontaine.

Not word yet as to who will be their Battista.

Yup, Linden is going to come in to help serve the koolaid and appease the fans to keep rioting to a minimum while they hire a new GM and keep Torts around

So I'm trying to look at a couple basic numbers to figure out if Ovechkin is helping the team or not. Of his 50 goals, 23 are PPG, so that means 27 ESG. He's -34, which means he has been on the ice for 61 ES GA (not counting any PK time or SHG against), right? That's a quarter of the teams 237 total GA, where his TOI is around 20:00, or a third of the game. He's accounted for 50 of 226 GF, roughly 22%.

I don't really have a feel for the numbers, but it *almost* feels like he's doing more harm than good, as absurd as that sounds.

So I'm trying to look at a couple basic numbers to figure out if Ovechkin is helping the team or not. Of his 50 goals, 23 are PPG, so that means 27 ESG. He's -34, which means he has been on the ice for 61 ES GA (not counting any PK time or SHG against), right? That's a quarter of the teams 237 total GA, where his TOI is around 20:00, or a third of the game. He's accounted for 50 of 226 GF, roughly 22%.

I don't really have a feel for the numbers, but it *almost* feels like he's doing more harm than good, as absurd as that sounds.

It's more complicated. 7 of his "minuses" are Shorties against.

Here's a good break down (even if it's from bleacher):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2020675-how-can-alex-ovechkin-have-49-goals-and-a-minus-35-rating

that compher kid better pan out.

Carolina defenseman Andrej Sekera has been named the Hurricanes Most Valuable Player for 2013-14.

https://twitter.com/...280186372964352

Is that really all that different than being named the MVP of a team like the Sabres though? But yes, a lot does hinge on what kind of player Compher becomes.

Thats actually pretty big, that he beat out the Staals, and some other big name players on the Canes and named their MVP

It might be if those guys weren't complete flops this year. It's as much of a statement about how bad they were as it was about the good season Sekera had. Eric Staal currently has only 5 more points than he had in the entire 48 game season last year. That is one hell of a drop off.

Is that really all that different than being named the MVP of a team like the Sabres though? But yes, a lot does hinge on what kind of player Compher becomes.

maybe not too much different. but still.

part of this is that i just really liked the guy's game--those wheels, man.

among players we still have, who's our MVP? giergensons [sic?]? just imagine if someone had traded him away to us for a shlub and a 2nd rounder? (i know, very different situations, career stages).

Am I the only one that thinks that number is a little high for losing a TV show?

No you're not the only one. Classic fat trimming/some vp sitting in his office cutting pennies in half, trying to figure out how to do more work with less staff.

Am I the only one that thinks that number is a little high for losing a TV show?

Radio broadcast on the way home indicated that CBC is more or less getting out of the sports programming business. They said the only sports programming that CBC intends to bid on is the Olympics, and only because of its national interest. Sounds like CBC isn't just letting go HNiC staff, they are gutting their sports programming altogether.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.