Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Brendan Shanahan being named president of the leafs

Rob Ray was talking about all of the former high profile players being "selected" as Team Presidents lately. It was his opinion that these are all basically PR/spokesperson type jobs. No real running of the team being done by these former players. If his opinion is accurate at all this change for Shanny makes me wonder if he was just a face for the NHL and maybe he wasn't making any player discipline decisions.

Rob Ray was talking about all of the former high profile players being "selected" as Team Presidents lately. It was his opinion that these are all basically PR/spokesperson type jobs. No real running of the team being done by these former players. If his opinion is accurate at all this change for Shanny makes me wonder if he was just a face for the NHL and maybe he wasn't making any player discipline decisions.

I'm not sure you can equate the two really. He is almost certainly being offered more money to be with the Leafs, to do a job which might have no direct power but he will always be involved in player discussion and the war room etc. and this is a good job should he ever want to be a GM. Plus the upside of 'turning the franchise around' (even if he had very little to do with it) is probably a nice appeal compared to giving out punishments and having everyone whine. Although I'm sure the Leaf fans will do their fair share of whining regardless

@NHLonTSN

OFFICIAL: MLSE announce Brendan Shanahan has been appointed to the position of President and Alternate Governor of the Toronto Maple Leafs

@NHLexpertpicks

Stephane Quintal to replace Shanahan as #NHL head disciplinarian.

Oh boy. Another ex player. Proof positive that the league isn't serious about player discipline. When this league gets its head out of its ass and puts an ex official with 25 years experience at ' discipline ' in charge of discipline we'll see stuff like headshots eliminated. Until then the league is setting itself up for future class actions from a who's who of former players.

Does Quintal have any experience what so ever in this sort of thing ?

Edited by bunomatic

Oh boy. Another ex player. Proof positive that the league isn't serious about player discipline. When this league gets its head out of its ass and puts an ex official with 25 years experience at ' discipline ' in charge of discipline we'll see stuff like headshots eliminated. Until then the league is setting itself up for future class actions from a who's who of former players.

Guessing he was already a part of the DoPS and he's getting a promotion due to Shanny's departure.

And an associate trailer park supervisor has the authority to do an eviction. It's a promotion, Shanny.

I'd also guess that it's a job where he thinks he will face a much more tolerable form of scrutiny. I don't think anyone will ever last very long as the disciplinarian because people will always complain no matter what decisions you make. Now he head off to Toronto where every decision will still be over analyzed, but he'll get a ton more money. It's also a position where you expect everyone to put the microscope to your every decision.

Quintal was one of those play-on-the-edge guys. He'll fit right in. :rolleyes:

Well there's a name I haven't heard in ages.

I think I read that name five times incorrectly until the light bulb went on and I realized who it was :lol:

Quintal was one of those play-on-the-edge guys. He'll fit right in. :rolleyes:

Pretty much, although I'd expect the results to be the same regardless of who is put in that position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.