Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

No short term answer at QB could have stepped into that position and made any significant difference. The entire offense flowed through Manning.

Manning on any of those 6-10 Bills teams and they would be a playoff team.

And Curtis Painter on any of those 6-10 Bills teams would have been 2-14 teams. The Colts knew what they were doing, as do the Sabres now and the Penguins for Lemux and Crosby.

No tin foil hat necessary. Conspiracies are hidden. These are right out in the open.

And Curtis Painter on any of those 6-10 Bills teams would have been 2-14 teams. The Colts knew what they were doing, as do the Sabres now and the Penguins for Lemux and Crosby.

No tin foil hat necessary. Conspiracies are hidden. These are right out in the open.

It must be hell driving around all day trying to elude the men in the black vans. My sympathies. :wacko:

It must be hell driving around all day trying to elude the men in the black vans. My sympathies. :wacko:

Oh, I get it. Sabres bad, everyone else good. It's only the Sabres that screw up by planning and talking about tanking. Everyone else did everything right and they just happened to tank.

And there really are black vans (helicopters, too). I've seen them.

Oh, I get it. Sabres bad, everyone else good. It's only the Sabres that screw up by planning and talking about tanking. Everyone else did everything right and they just happened to tank.

And there really are black vans (helicopters, too). I've seen them.

There is a difference between "tanking" and just being bad. The Penguins drafted in the top 5 three years prior to drafting Crosby. The Oilers are drafting in the top 2 again this year, did they tank? If the end up picking #1 next is it because they "tanked."

Did the Blackhawks tank to get Cam Barker in 2004 or where they just a bad team that was bad long enough to finally draft some good players with their top picks.

As far as the Sabres, I am one of the few that don't believe the Sabres "tank" was intentional. They went into the 2012-13 with Lindy Ruff as coach and with a team they felt could make the playoffs.

Any team that hires Ron rolston from here on out is actively saying, yes, we are trying to suck

I think there is a good argument to be made that this year's sabres were attempting to play good but knew that they just wouldn't, and so they went along with the plan and now are in a good drafting position..... They were able to evaluate some young talent and finally dismantle....

Now I have no freakin idea what the plan next year is, must be nice to own a hockey team that can still fill arenas when the team is this bad tho

There is a difference between "tanking" and just being bad. The Penguins drafted in the top 5 three years prior to drafting Crosby. The Oilers are drafting in the top 2 again this year, did they tank? If the end up picking #1 next is it because they "tanked."

Did the Blackhawks tank to get Cam Barker in 2004 or where they just a bad team that was bad long enough to finally draft some good players with their top picks.

As far as the Sabres, I am one of the few that don't believe the Sabres "tank" was intentional. They went into the 2012-13 with Lindy Ruff as coach and with a team they felt could make the playoffs.

I think we're just arguing semantics, here. Like the Colts, I think the Sabres tanking wasn't intentional, until it was.

DeLuca, everyone but you sees the same thing. Look, instead of insulting me, maybe it's time you take a break from my posts for a while. I will not be offended. Just put me on ignore already.

Edited by Eleven

For the Millionth time, THE PENGUINS NEVER TANKED A SEASON IN ORDER TO GET CROSBY.

It was impossible for any team to "Tank" in order to get Crosby that year because there was no season and the entire draft order was determined by a lottery that was decided very close to that draft.

It can be disputed that there may have been a fix in that draft in order for Crosby to go to Lemieuxs Penguins to help save them from bankruptcy, but there was no one tanking a season for him.

I also wouldn't be so sure that the Colts (or even the Sabres) "Know what they are doing" right now. The Colts got lucky that manning got hurt the same year that Luck would be coming up in the draft. If they were lucky enough to get the #1 pick, they would have the choice again of getting a potential franchise QB in Luck or RGIII, and if they didn't they still could get Manning back for a year or 2.

DeLuca, everyone but you sees the same thing. Look, instead of insulting me, maybe it's time you take a break from my posts for a while. I will not be offended. Just put me on ignore already.

It's far from "everyone".

For the Millionth time, THE PENGUINS NEVER TANKED A SEASON IN ORDER TO GET CROSBY.

It was impossible for any team to "Tank" in order to get Crosby that year because there was no season and the entire draft order was determined by a lottery that was decided very close to that draft.

It can be disputed that there may have been a fix in that draft in order for Crosby to go to Lemieuxs Penguins to help save them from bankruptcy, but there was no one tanking a season for him.

I also wouldn't be so sure that the Colts (or even the Sabres) "Know what they are doing" right now. The Colts got lucky that manning got hurt the same year that Luck would be coming up in the draft. If they were lucky enough to get the #1 pick, they would have the choice again of getting a potential franchise QB in Luck or RGIII, and if they didn't they still could get Manning back for a year or 2.

Sadly, due to the Sabres situation, every time a team finished/finishes last it will be deemed an intentional "tank" by some on the board.

Edited by deluca67

This is correct. I don't know why I always lump them together. I blame beer.

It's far from "everyone".

Sadly, due to the Sabres situation, every time a team finished/finishes last it will be deemed an intentional "tank" by some on the board.

It's funny how the Penguins and the Colts has turned into every team that finishes last..

I don't think there was any doubt that the Colts embraced 'suck for Luck'.

Dickie Dunn wrote this. It's gotta be true. Fantastic :doh:

The writer linked to numerous other writers who said the same thing. Now you're just being disingenuous, frankly.

The Colts went from 10-6 with Manning to to 2-14 without. The Broncos went from 8-8 prior to Manning to 13-3 with Manning. It should be a surprise to no one that the Colts fell to the bottom of the league when Manning was out just like it should be no surprise that the Broncos rocketed to the top of the AFC with Manning. He is that much of an impact player.

That, he is. But as wjag said, it's pretty much common knowledge that once Manning was hurt, the Colts planned to finish last. That 2012 draft was like the 2015 NHL draft (look at what Washington paid to move up to #2).

What's the argument here? Are you really saying that the Colts didn't tank on purpose, when their starting QB was Curtis Painter? Really? C'mon.

I'm saying there was nothing they could do to prevent it. You're not replacing Manning with a free agent or a trade for some backup. Manning was the QB, OC and HC. When the decision was made that Manning would be out the entire season finishing last was inevitable no matter what moves the team made or could have made.

If it was inevitable why the need to include the Colts situation in the growing list of grand conspiracies that seem to be taking over your posts?

Any of the Bills' revolving door of QBs (I can't be bothered to see which would have been recently cut in the summer of 2012) could have led them to 6-10. Unless you're saying the 10-6 2011 Colts were worse than the Bills in most postions other than QB.

No short term answer at QB could have stepped into that position and made any significant difference. The entire offense flowed through Manning.

Manning on any of those 6-10 Bills teams and they would be a playoff team.

I'm sorry I thought this was the AROUND THE NHL thread not the The Colts tanked for luck thread. Take it elsewhere.

Really nobody cares how the penguins or other teams got top picks. The fact is that teams aren't winning without those top picks. If you have an idea as to how Buffalo can get those top picks other than tanking then let me know...

The thing is I think we all forgot how we really got here. DR and company finally recognized that the core of skilled players did not have the grit and battle needed to win a playoff series so they started moving veterans trying to get grittier. The influx of less talented grit made us drop further and so the team decided it needed to rebuild via the draft. To get more picks in the draft more talent was traded. Darcy gets fired because his team really does now suck and PLF and TM refuse to pull the plug on a year in the garbage. This was not per say I designed "lets suck this year for player X" type scenario.

Plaintiffs shareholder class action lawyer, Andrew Barroway (in his early 40s), is said to be interested in buying a majority stake in the Islanders. Maybe he's part of a group.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/30/brooklyn-boost-in-islanders-sale-talks/

This is the same guy who almost bought the Devils, and who, I believe, sniffed around the 76ers.

People can say (and speculate) all they want about Terry Pegula. I see a guy like Barroway looking to buy a franchise and conclude that we did very, very well to have Pegula buy the Sabres.

Plaintiffs shareholder class action lawyer, Andrew Barroway (in his early 40s), is said to be interested in buying a majority stake in the Islanders. Maybe he's part of a group.

http://nypost.com/20...ers-sale-talks/

This is the same guy who almost bought the Devils, and who, I believe, sniffed around the 76ers.

People can say (and speculate) all they want about Terry Pegula. I see a guy like Barroway looking to buy a franchise and conclude that we did very, very well to have Pegula buy the Sabres.

It hasn't been discussed much on here, but moving the Isles to a basketball stadium in Brooklyn creates a pending PR nightmare. The arena was never designed for hockey. So to fit a rink in, it has to be off-center and many of the seats have restricted sight lines. The number of seats that can actually see the entire rink is at maximum 14,000. The scoreboard hangs over the blue line. Just a very odd decision for Wang to move the team to his buddy's basketball arena. The Isles are basically a catastrophe from top to bottom.

Check out these sight lines at Barclay's Center: http://nymag.com/dai...t-barclays.html

One of the zambonis stalled on the ice when they were clearing the surface for the Preds - Caps shootout in Nashville. Bizarre. I've never seen that happen before.

At the NHL level, I can't recall seeing it happen.

At SIR in Ra-cha-cha, it's a bi-weekly occurance! :lol:

Who's the regular around here with the big man-crush on Tortorella?

Mooney at PD says Torts' time as an NHL HC is at an end, for the foreseeable future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/are-we-living-in-the-end-of-times-of-john-tortorella-s-nhl-coaching-career-145425274.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://nypost.com/20...ers-sale-talks/

Well, I give Wang credit, he he had no other options (aside from funding a new one 100% that almost no owner would do) except for staying in the current dump they play in. Now they go play in a brand new facility until a new place is agreed upon and finalized, or they can reno Barklays to suit hockey too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.