Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What's the story on that one? I kind of wish it didn't have the D, but otherwise it's some good work.

It's an alternate that they unveiled as part of the new set but didn't use anywhere on the actual uniforms. If they're smart, they'll sneak this one in and lose the plain D at some point. (Basically what the Ducks did a couple years ago with their primary and alternate logos.)

Red wings and sharks tonight. My west coast team is looking good, always good to have some respectable hockey.

That was a close game to watch. I fully expected the wings to get trounced since Kronwall and Ericsson are out. But Sharks are missing Boyle, too. Was hoping for an overtime decision rather than shootout, but was a good battle. Now.. LA and Calgary. heh

"@KKurzCSN: The #SJSharks have acquired Mike Brown from Edmonton for a 4th round pick in 2014"

If they can get a 4th round pick for Mike freaking Brown I think any piece is trade able

Imagine what we could get for Ott? He brings the toughness of Brown and at least 400,000,000 times the skill. Ott has to be worth a first and a solid prospect.

We could easily end up with 4-5 first round picks this year, but that's pointless. We should be acquiring some more prospects that are closer to being ready to play at an NHL-level. Maybe some guys that are already here. Ott, Vanek and Miller could easily bring in first rounders in their deals. That would give us 4, then we have 3 seconds that could be used to trade up. Basically, we should end up with the first overall pick no matter what because we should have an excess of picks that we could use to move up.

Edited by DStebb

We could easily end up with 4-5 first round picks this year, but that's pointless. We should be acquiring some more prospects that are closer to being ready to play at an NHL-level. Maybe some guys that are already here. Ott, Vanek and Miller could easily bring in first rounders in their deals. That would give us 4, then we have 3 seconds that could be used to trade up. Basically, we should end up with the first overall pick no matter what because we should have an excess of picks that we could use to move up.

You had me up to here. There are almost *no* examples of trading the first overall (any?), and especially in a draft that is reportedly rather weak. The Sabres should be trading for 2015 picks, even though that puts them a year further down the road for the rebuild.

You know, I was going to put in the "except in really odd circumstances", like having a twin brother and having said that they're a package deal. :) Every year people talk about the first overall getting traded, and yet we only have one example of it happening. Even this year, with Colorado loaded up with high picks from previous year they still went first.

Edited by MattPie

You had me up to here. There are almost *no* examples of trading the first overall (any?), and especially in a draft that is reportedly rather weak. The Sabres should be trading for 2015 picks, even though that puts them a year further down the road for the rebuild.

Agreed. There's no need to go all Jeremy White with "trading up can happen, just nobody offers what I would" nonsense.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...night-rivalry/

NHL RIVALS AND NHL TOP 10 TUESDAY STARTING AT 11 P.M. ET ON NBCSN

NBCSN’s will debut two new episodes of NHL Rivals and NHL Top 10 this week, as NBC Sports Group continues to expand its NHL coverage with programming focused on hockey’s historic rivalries and some of the game’s most-debated topics.

NHL Rivals, which debuts this week on Tuesday at 11 p.m. ET on NBCSN, dovetails off of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry, which Forbes dubbed “the hottest new brand in sports.” This week’s episode will feature the Boston Bruins and the Buffalo Sabres. The two teams are forever linked by memorable moments, including Buffalo forward Brad May’s “May Day” overtime game-winner in the 1993 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and Bruins forward Milan Lucic’s open-ice collision with Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller in 2011.

I think they should be getting picks in both drafts. They've had so many picks in the first two rounds, why not continue to load up? That way in, say, six years when the team is successful you'll still have an excess of young talent that you can deal at the deadline. This team will win a Stanley Cup within eight years if they play this right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.