Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I know. I'm just saying, it was 23 years until Hull and Mikita put the Hawks 'back on the map' in 1961.

The Hawks were my team when I started following the NHL in 1964 while in college. Nesterenko, Pappin, Pilote, Stapleton, Esposito...those guys were my heroes with Hull & Mikita, of course.

In fact I just picked up Mikita's book "I Play To Win". It is going for almost $200 on ebay. I got it for $30. Might be a good investment.

Vancouver?

Nashville.

Dallas?

Los Angeles?

Or Minnestoga.

How about Phoenix? I get the message - Darcy is damned good in making trades!

The Hawks were my team when I started following the NHL in 1964 while in college. Nesterenko, Pappin, Pilote, Stapleton, Esposito...those guys were my heroes with Hull & Mikita, of course.

In fact I just picked up Mikita's book "I Play To Win". It is going for almost $200 on ebay. I got it for $30. Might be a good investment.

How about Phoenix? I get the message - Darcy is damned good in making trades!

Its the trades that never materialized because the other team asked Darcy to throw in a bucket of pucks and it was just too rich for him. One or two of those non trades could have been the one that put us over the top. Who knows but I agree with what you're saying. Darcy is a pretty shrewd trader.

Edited by bunomatic

I think it's pretty clear that they've always been on the map.

No. They weren't selling out games (in a city of that size!), and basically, the city really didn't care about them at all for at least most of the 2000s. I have family there, and every one of them--to a person--admits that they (and most of the city) really had stopped caring about the Hawks until 09-10, even though they're all sports nuts. In fact, I was visiting them the day Kane was drafted. None of them knew (a) that the draft was that day, (b) who Kane was, or even © that the Hawks had the #1 pick. Season tix to Cubs and Bears, package tix to Bulls, but didn't even know that the hockey team had the first overall pick? Telling.

Edited by Eleven

Flyers need to get under the cap?

Might have to wait to get Chris Pronger's roster spot and cap hit to LTIR?

Report: Cleary to sign three-year deal with Flyers: http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Update: @NHLFlyers

NEWS ALERT: #Flyers have agreed to a pro try-out contract with LW Daniel Cleary. Get the details here: http://nhlflye.rs/17O6UN4

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

full marks to the senators, first for bringing in ryan and then for having some fun with it before the season starts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/watch-bobby-ryan-awkwardly-interview-ottawans-don-t-133959196--nhl.html

the sabres have done stuff like this, obviously -- fu man drew was a strong effort. with training camp set to open, i wonder whether we'll see anything along these lines, or if the team's low-profile and off-season forecast of "suffering" weighs against this sort of levity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.