Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Florida hasn't gone for quite the three-year everything-must-go plan the Sabres have adopted.

But they did try to do it in two years. They sold off a bunch of players to bottom out in 2010 and 2011.

This was their haul:

2011) 3. Huberdeau, 33. Grimaldi, 59 Bengtsson

2010) 3. Gudbranson, 19. Bjugstad, 25. Howden, 33. McFarland, 36. Petrovic, 50. Brickley

Suffering comes with no guarantees.

Florida went through quite a bit bigger overhaul than the Sabres. You're missing a few draft picks.

Florida went through quite a bit bigger overhaul than the Sabres. You're missing a few draft picks.

Here are the 1st and 2nd round picks for Florida since 2010

2010: 3 Erik Gudbranson, 19 Nick Bjugstad, 25 Quinton Howden, 33 John McFarland, 36 Alex Petrovic, 50 Connor Brickley

2011: 3 Jonathan Huberdeau, 33 Rocco Grimaldi, 59 Rasmus Bengtsson

2012: 23 Mike Matheson

2013: 2 Aleksander Barkov, 31 Ian McCoshen

GR's bulldog tweeted an article from a Flyers' beat reporter and, based on that, raised the idea that we could use some of our picks (including next year's #1, i infer) in an offer for giroux.

Not sure it's even possible, but, if it is: Yes, please.

https://twitter.com/Bulldogwgr/status/398787043415035904

If we can agree Giroux is more valuable than Pominville & Vanek, what kind of insane package would you have to put together to get him? If next years number one is on the table (we hope Reinhart becomes Giroux, right?) the Sabres would have to include at least two of Girgensons, Pysyk, Compher, and Hurley (just guessing).

If we can agree Giroux is more valuable than Pominville & Vanek, what kind of insane package would you have to put together to get him? If next years number one is on the table (we hope Reinhart becomes Giroux, right?) the Sabres would have to include at least two of Girgensons, Pysyk, Compher, and Hurley (just guessing).

You know why in the last draft I really liked Sean Monahan? He was on a downright terrible team, it lacked talent, and despite all that he produced points at a steady pace and lead his team. He made those around him better than they were and has carried that to the NHL. Giroux has watched his production slide in part because Van Riemsdyk left and I think Giroux is not as good as that 1 93pt season makes us think he is. Not saying I wouldn't love the guy on my team but I am not sure if there is a price that I would find reasonable for him.

Please no. I want whole new blood. Everywhere. No more bringing back some old guys (unless it's former players from a while back like Housley/LaFontaine).

And Ramsay.

At least Ramsay could teach these guys how to dress.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Please no. I want whole new blood. Everywhere. No more bringing back some old guys (unless it's former players from a while back like Housley/LaFontaine).

You do know that Ramsay played for the Sabres for 10+ years, right?

EDIT:

Damn you, JJ ...

:P

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Hmmm, the Oil trade a D Man:

@FAN590

According to reports, Ladislav Smid has been traded to Calgary for prospects. #Oilers #Flames #NHL

@aaronward_nhl

Bryzgalov to Edmonton #tsn

@cbcsports

BREAKING: #Oilers agree to 1-year deal with goalie Ilya Bryzgalov #hockeynight #NHL #CBCSports

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You do know that Ramsay played for the Sabres for 10+ years, right?

EDIT:

Damn you, JJ ...

:P

Yeap. Was talking more about Dineen. I know a few people complained when he was having success in Florida saying how we missed an opportunity by not giving him the HC job.

Hmmm, the Oil trade a D Man:

@FAN590

According to reports, Ladislav Smid has been traded to Calgary for prospects. #Oilers #Flames #NHL

@aaronward_nhl

Bryzgalov to Edmonton #tsn

@cbcsports

BREAKING: #Oilers agree to 1-year deal with goalie Ilya Bryzgalov #hockeynight #NHL #CBCSports

I hope Bryz finds success in Edmonton. I genuinely like the guy.

I hope Bryz finds success in Edmonton. I genuinely like the guy.

We'll see how it works out, but moving Smid is not the greatest move IMO:

@GenePrincipe

Edm has verbal agreement with Bryz. However they don't have cap space to sign him til Smid passes physical with Cgy to complete that trade.

THN:Panthers problems go much, much deeper than coaching staff

Ask any coach in professional sports and he’ll tell you that fairness is not part of the equation when it comes to his chosen employment. He’ll also tell you if you want job security, go work at the post office. Just don’t expect the paycheck to have the same number of digits before the decimal point.

And that, in a nutshell, explains the Kevin Dineen firing in Florida today. For some reason, GM Dale Tallon figured over the summer it would be a good idea to extend a contract offer to every NHL senior citizen who was looking for work. The Panthers are 29th in payroll because they don’t have near the revenues to justify spending much over the lower limit of the salary cap and their key players are underachieving.

Ask any coach in professional sports and he’ll tell you that fairness is not part of the equation when it comes to his chosen employment. He’ll also tell you if you want job security, go work at the post office. Just don’t expect the paycheck to have the same number of digits before the decimal point.

And that, in a nutshell, explains the Kevin Dineen firing in Florida today. For some reason, GM Dale Tallon figured over the summer it would be a good idea to extend a contract offer to every NHL senior citizen who was looking for work. The Panthers are 29th in payroll because they don’t have near the revenues to justify spending much over the lower limit of the salary cap and their key players are underachieving.

fixed

or

"Ask any coach in professional sports and he’ll tell you that fairness is not part of the equation when it comes to his chosen employment. He’ll also tell you if you want job security, go work at the post office. Just don’t expect the paycheck to have the same number of digits before the decimal point.

And that, in a nutshell, explains the Kevin Dineen firing in Florida today. For some reason, GM Dale Tallon figured over the summer it would be a good idea to extend a contract offer to every NHL senior citizen who was looking for work. The Panthers are 29th in payroll because they don’t have near the revenues to justify spending much over the lower limit of the salary cap and their key players are underachieving."

also fixed.

It's hard to tell what's you and what is from the Oracle. Sorry, last night made me cranky.

Lots of scuttlebutt that Eberle is the young star the Oilers have decided to jettison to fix their team and it's going to happen soon.

We need to be all over that.

Darren Dreger says otherwise :P

Darren Dreger: In the eyes of Oilers management, Jordan Eberle will be an Oiler forever. He’s not a trade target

GM of team A can inquirer or look into any player they'd like, that doesn't mean team B, who has aforementioned player, is going to trade them however.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.