2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Not the faintest idea? What does common sense tell you? Elite players skip the AHL entirely. Notable Sabres players developed through the AHL that played really well in their first years include Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Ennis, Gerbe, Adam, Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, MacArthur, Butler, and Adam. So playing well in the AHL in your first year there doesn't guarantee anything in the NHL but a lot of our draftees that made it to the NHL did well in the AHL very quickly.

The one example I could find of a guy taking a while is Pominville, who only had 34 points in 73 games in his first AHL season. He definitely became a good NHL player.

In any event, I think being concerned about a rough first AHL season is reasonable.

As far as his Finland numbers over the last three years, it was tough to feel strongly about those since I never got to see him play in those games and, more importantly, I've never seen a single SM-liiga game in my life. I honestly wouldn't know what to ask for from a guy developing in Finland's top league.

I'd personally be interested to see a list of players who struggled their first year in the AHL (at least ones that were expected to be good). In addition to Pominville, off the top of my head I can name Campbell and Hodgson as others who were underwhelming and became NHL players. I do think Armia had mitigating circumstances (North America adjustment and injury) which make me not put too much stock into his numbers. One noticeable thing from your list is it doesn't include Europeans playing in NA for the first time.

What concerns me more with Armia is from what I've read he has the same issues he had three years ago: play without the puck, defensive awareness, offensive hockey sense (in particular, knowing when to use teammates and when to go to alone) and consistency of effort. At least the first three of those issues are going to be exacerbated on the smaller ice.

@SabresProspects

Minnesota (Fasching, Isackson) and Wisconsin (McCabe, Navin) get No. 1 seeds for the NCAA Tournament. Opponents to come. #Sabres

Kris Baker@SabresProspects

Minn. vs Robert Morris (Sat., 5:30 ET, ESPN2); Wisc vs North Dakota (Fri., 8:00, ESPNU), Prov vs Quinnipiac (Fri., 5:30, ESPNU) #Sabres

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What concerns me more with Armia is from what I've read he has the same issues he had three years ago: play without the puck, defensive awareness, offensive hockey sense (in particular, knowing when to use teammates and when to go to alone) and consistency of effort. At least the first three of those issues are going to be exacerbated on the smaller ice.

What concerns me is that Darcy was terrible at drafting forwards.

Why are they giving out awards like that right now? It really seems like a thing to be done once they're done playing. I don't know what all teams do, but at least the Boston ones wait until after the NCAA tourney, most of Hockey East too if I remember correctly.

Why are they giving out awards like that right now? It really seems like a thing to be done once they're done playing. I don't know what all teams do, but at least the Boston ones wait until after the NCAA tourney, most of Hockey East too if I remember correctly.

Their season is over.

Their season is over.

Minnesota? They're the number one overall seed.

Not that I get the gripe about them giving out regular season awards when it's postseason time.

Edited by Tankalicious

Minnesota? They're the number one overall seed.

Not that I get the gripe about them giving out regular season awards when it's postseason time.

It is the time of the year where I would think they'd not want their players paying attention to individual accomplishments. As I said, a lot of the eastern schools wait. It also makes your closing awards ceremony that much more interesting should you win the whole thing.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 3/25/14

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Playoff action kicked into gear last week for the Buffalo Sabres’ junior prospects, while a group of collegians played a role in getting their team’s ticket stamped for a date in the 2014 NCAA Tournament that gets underway on several fronts later this week.

@SabresProspects

Tuesday playoff slate sees Grigorenko, Carrier, Baptiste, Zadorov/Austin all playing in Game 3s.

Nick Baptiste gets the puck high between the circles and buries a shot to give Sudbury an early 1-0 lead on Barrie.

Update: Baptiste has 1+1 as SBY trails 4-3 in 3rd, Zadorov has a SHG as LDN rolling past Spits, Carrier not dressed for Drummondville

Nick Baptiste finishes with a goal and two assists as SBY loses to BAR 6-4. Wolves down 3-0 in series, will look to avoid sweep Thurs.

Nikita Zadorov gets a short-handed goal as London blows past Windsor 10-2. Zadorov 3-2-5 in three playoff games. LDN takes 3-0 series lead

@SabresProspects

MODO's Linus Ullmark wins the Honken Trophy - awarded to top SHL G http://www.expressen...onken-trophy/ …

#Sabres

About last night: You should check out Zadorov's goal if you haven't already >> http://www.sabrespro...-zadorov.html …

#Sabres

Mikhail Grigorenko had two assists as Quebec lost to R-N 5-2. Grigo: 0-6-6 in 3 playoff games. QUE trails series 2-1.

Apologies if this has already been addressed but, I am wondering if our prospect is in the last year of his junior eligibility and his team gets knocked out will that player join Rochester this year. I am thinking about Grigs of course, but are there other players that are in their last year of junior eligibility (is Justin Bailey at that stage?) that would be slated for Roch if their team gets knocked out? Thanks in advance. Gotta change the avatar again with Patty gone...

Apologies if this has already been addressed but, I am wondering if our prospect is in the last year of his junior eligibility and his team gets knocked out will that player join Rochester this year. I am thinking about Grigs of course, but are there other players that are in their last year of junior eligibility (is Justin Bailey at that stage?) that would be slated for Roch if their team gets knocked out? Thanks in advance. Gotta change the avatar again with Patty gone...

Yup they can join Rochester when their chl season is over!