2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Was it it me or did Grigorenko look good in the last couple games he played for Buffalo? I mean we are talking like this guy came in and pulled a Bernier or a Boyes. He has gotten better and he continues to get better. As a 19yr old to be able to play in the NHL is an accomplishment. I think with Zadorov here and Grigs getting better that this conversation is very premature. I have liked what I saw from Grigorenko thus far because I have seen improvement and that is the key thing we should be looking for out of 19yr old kid.

I haven't really seen improvement myself. I realize he's young and that's why it's too premature to call him a bust yet. Look what he did in the Q and more importantly to me, what he's done in the World Juniors. The kid has talent and I think he will eventually get there but I've thought he's looked pretty lost all season. Maybe this tourney is just what Grigs needs to get his confidence.

Strome has 40 points in 33 games in the A, Grigorenko looked like he wanted to go find his mommy in his 2 games in Rochester.

My point is the misperception that Grigorenko is already a bust, which has been created by the Sabres terrible mishandling of Grigorenko

They are both offensive centres, so I am going to judge them by their numbers.

The year after being drafted Strome went 30/38/68 in 46 junior games

The year after being drafted Girgorenko went 30/24/54 in 33 junior games.

Pretty similar stats.

Two years after being drafted Strome had 6 points in six games in the World Juniors.

Two years after being drafted Grigorenko has 7 points in five games so far in the World Juniors.

Pretty similar stats

Despite being a year-older than Girgorenko, and a much higher pick, Strome has only played eight NHL games and just 2 points, while Grigorenko has played 43 NHL games and has eight points. Again, pretty similar.

But the perception of each player is much different because Strome has been properly left to develop in junior and the minors while the Sabres stupidly had Girgorenko on the fourth line in the NHL.

Edited by dudacek

My point is the misperception that Grigorenko is already a bust, which has been created by the Sabres terrible mishandling of Grigorenko

They are both offensive centres, so I am going to judge them by their numbers.

The year after being drafted Strome went 30/38/68 in 46 junior games

The year after being drafted Girgorenko went 30/24/54 in 33 junior games.

Pretty similar stats.

Two years after being drafted Strome had 6 points in six games in the World Juniors.

Two years after being drafted Grigorenko has 7 points in five games so far in the World Juniors.

Pretty similar stats

Despite being a year-older than Girgorenko, and a much higher pick, Strome has only played eight NHL games and just 2 points, while Grigorenko has played 43 NHL games and has eight points. Again, pretty similar.

But the perception of each player is much different because Strome has been properly left to develop in junior and the minors while the Sabres stupidly had Girgorenko on the fourth line in the NHL.

I agree with your main point (in bold) but I don't think Strome is the right guy to make it with. You can't compare their stats from Juniors. The OHL and QMJHL are completely different. The Q is the defense-free league; there is long list of prospects from the Q who put up insane numbers there but were never able to anything at any higher level. Recent Sabres prospects like this include Zagrapan (former 1st round pick whose Q numbers look a lot like Grigorenko's) and Gauthier-Leduc.

The reason I'm not super excited about Grigorenko right now is because I only ever hear two things about his effort/compete. It's either (a) not good or (b) "improved, but still not where it needs to be." Now maybe this is all a massive struggle because he's not used to playing at levels where he isn't significantly more talented than his competition. Maybe a light will come on and he'll "get it" one day. But in the meantime, I'm not ready to pencil him in as a guy I want to count on for the future. He's a "maybe."

I agree with your main point (in bold) but I don't think Strome is the right guy to make it with. You can't compare their stats from Juniors. The OHL and QMJHL are completely different. The Q is the defense-free league; there is long list of prospects from the Q who put up insane numbers there but were never able to anything at any higher level. Recent Sabres prospects like this include Zagrapan (former 1st round pick whose Q numbers look a lot like Grigorenko's) and Gauthier-Leduc.

The reason I'm not super excited about Grigorenko right now is because I only ever hear two things about his effort/compete. It's either (a) not good or (b) "improved, but still not where it needs to be." Now maybe this is all a massive struggle because he's not used to playing at levels where he isn't significantly more talented than his competition. Maybe a light will come on and he'll "get it" one day. But in the meantime, I'm not ready to pencil him in as a guy I want to count on for the future. He's a "maybe."

The OHL is a better league than the Q, but it's not as big a gap as you are making it out to be. It's more of an NHL eastern/western conference thing.

And that discounts the production at the World Junior, which is a step above any other junior league. And the fact that their NHL games thus far have been equally ineffective.

I agree with the bolded part completely

For all of you saying Girgorenko is bad or a bust or how however you want to phrase it, this year who were his wingers? I say this year because last years dumpster fire handling of him was DR shanking himself in the face. Who were his wingers? What are their numbers? It seems to me the Sabres seriously lack winger talent/center talent and all around scoring talent. The fact a 18/19yr old kid didn't light up the world on a team that lacks talents isn't all that surprising.

I am not saying Grigs won't fail or will not make it in the NHL, I am saying that given how god awful this team played under Rolston and how young he is, we may want to wait for awhile.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/01/zadorov-grigorenko-combine-to-knock-usa.html?ref=brp

MINNEAPOLIS -- There will be no gold-medal repeat for Team USA at the World Junior Championships. And they can thank two Sabres prospects for causing their ultimate set of problems.

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov had two power-play goals and Mikhail Grigorenko also scored as Russia posted a 5-3 quarterfinal win today in Malmo, Sweden. Zadorov scored both of his goals from the point on a 5-on-3 situation in the second period to put Russia into the semifinals against the Sweden-Slovakia winner.

Jake McCabe with two goals and an assist tonight for Wisconsin.

If I recall correctly he is a Junior this season. Does he return to college next year or become a Sabre/Amerk? Do the sabres have to offer him a contract before next year and if they don't when do they lose his rights?

He's probably ready for some AHL, and there will probably be some room for him there.

You worried he's going to go all Justin Schultz on us?

YES! When can he ignore us and become a UFA? I know it is something like year 3 or 4 of his college career.

Given the Pegula bucks and our cap situation, I doubt there will be a financial incentive to do that.

I also don't think McCabe is quite as highly-rated a prospect as Schultz, so there may not be the same potential market for him either.

I'm not familiar with all the whys behind Schultz not signing with the Ducks, but I can't recall anyone else doing what he did.

It seems to have been a bit of an outlier.

We have until the end of next season to sign McCabe, I believe.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about the prospects (apologies if it was), considering how much longer it takes D to develop relative to forwards it is a better thing that the Sabres appear to have blue chip D prospects and a lack of forward blue chippers rather than the other way round. (Though obviously, they'd prefer to have both.)

Theoretically, getting some blue chip forward prospects (via trades or picks) this year and next should have the whole bunch coming into their own at the same time.

If I recall correctly he is a Junior this season. Does he return to college next year or become a Sabre/Amerk? Do the sabres have to offer him a contract before next year and if they don't when do they lose his rights?

They can wait until he graduates. One of the benefits of drafting college guys.

News: SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT (1/6/14)

McCabe posts first career multi-point game; Malone bags a pair of shorties against BU

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

With the flip of the calendar and the season’s second half ahead, the current group of Buffalo Sabres prospects looks poised to show developmental growth in hopes of impressing NHL talent evaluators.

Buffalo Sabres remain in state of transition at NHL and minor league levels

By Jason Chen January 6th, 2014

phil_varone_rochester_120112.jpg

The Rochester Americans, the AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres, made their return to the Spengler Cup this winter after placing third in 1996. However, the Amerks were outmatched in the prestigious tournament this time around, allowing 15 goals and losing all three of their games. Participating in the tournament meant taking a 12-day break from AHL play, but three extra games' worth of experience can be beneficial to a young team.

The Sabres have a number of prospects who will start appearing in the NHL in a few seasons' time. Playoff memories from 2011 seem like eons ago, and Sabres fans have showered the team with sarcastic cheers a few times this season. But, when it comes to player development, patience can go a long way. Zemgus Girgensons spent the previous season in the AHL before becoming a regular for the Sabres, even though some felt he was ready for the NHL as an 18-year-old. There is a good chance Girgensons will be the only rookie who will play the full season between the four teenagers who started with the team in October.

With so many prospects, it has been tough to find playing time and roster spots. The Sabres are shuttling players to and from Rochester, seemingly on a weekly basis, and loaning several players to the ECHL. It has been a long season for the lottery-bound Sabres, but the team will continue to swallow the losses if it means making the right moves for the future.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@SabresProspects

WATCH: Nick Baptiste collects 1+2 in Sudbury's Sat. win. Love the quick curl and dish for second assist >>

http://youtu.be/10YYiTgaAaE

I really want Baptiste to make it. I love Concept of Baptiste.

Meanwhile, Connor Hurley (2nd round, #38 overall) has 5 points (3+2) in 6 games since being traded to Green Bay in the USHL.

And there's this:

Kris Baker@SabresProspects16h

Cal Petersen stops 20/21 to win his eighth-straight start as Waterloo beats Des Moines 3-1. Petersen: 19-2-1, 2.43 GAA, .918 sv%.

Robviously@Robviously15h

@SabresProspects Is he considered the top goalie in the USHL by now?

Kris Baker@SabresProspects15h

@Robviously Yes, just talked to his goalie coach minutes ago about this topic. Agreed that he's best in league right now.

Both Hurley and Peterson are headed to Notre Dame next year so they're still a long ways off (figure 2017).

They could, but it is his choice and a lot of college players skip their senior season. Should be interesting to see what he does.

I am almost positive he said somewhere along the line that he was going to stay at Wisconsin until he graduated but I cant seem to find it right now. Even if he did say that, kids change their minds like women change their outfits.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 01/13/14

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Baptiste and Bailey hit benchmarks; can anyone beat Cal Petersen?

OHL

Nick Baptiste (2013, third round) posted five points in three games last week, including a one-goal and two-assist effort Saturday to earn the number one star as Sudbury skated to a 4-2 victory over Belleville. The night before, the speedy winger notched a short-handed marker plus and a helper in a 4-2 doubling of Mississauga. The productive efforts boost Baptiste’s point total to 51 (23+28) through 40 games, surpassing the 48 points he collected in 66 games last season.

Justin Bailey (2013, second round) scored with 3:17 left in regulation to force overtime on Friday, but Kitchener was defeated 6-5 by Niagara. The Williamsville, NY-native, who has 13 points (8+5) in his last 12 games, has lit the lamp 17 times in 42 games this year, equaling the 17 goals posted in 57 games last season. Bailey enters the week as the Rangers’ second-leading scorer with 32 points.

USHL

Cal Petersen (2013, fifth round) stopped 20 of 21 shots to earn his eighth-straight victory as Waterloo defeated Des Moines 3-1. The Notre Dame commit, who made 27 saves Friday in an 8-3 throttling of Sioux Falls, improves to 19-2-1 this season with a 2.43 GAA (5th in league) and .918 save% (5th).