Darcy webstream June 20

spndnchz

One last bit on this, for Swamp and T-Web, do you read that Gleason proposal in substance as follows?

The eighth and 16th picks could be used in a package with a rostered player to move into the top three positions of the draft or one of those picks they could be packaged used with Vanek and/or Miller for a good, young prospect with experience.

That sounds right, and I agree it is a little wonky as written.

I also will just never understand all the ire over pieces written about the Sabres in the BN. Bucky's views are just as valid as anyone's. Plus, he got almost two pages here about him. He must be doing something right.

Sorry for my previous post. Didn't mean for it to come across so snarky. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

What is "nonsense" is the idea that a GM that continually comes out every trade deadline and July 1st with wide eyed bewilderment admitting he was surprised and couldn't get a handle on the current market will suddenly have his finger on the pulse of other teams and know what the market is for the top three picks.

I'm not sure that's what he does. But I will grant you, the "FA market hasn't quite set itself yet" is a tired trope of his. That one is like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it. I don't know that he trots that one out now that he can spend whatever he likes, though.

From what he's said publicly, he has talked to the teams in the top 4 and has a clear idea of what it would take to move into one of those slots.

I'm too tired and frustrated by where this franchise is to be polite and pretend otherwise as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

Whose feelings do you think you're hurting?

Gleason has the ballz to go on the record on that. Hats off to Gleason, Sullivan and the guys are WGR for refusing play "lets pretend Regier is a good GM", now if we can get some fans to quit playing that game we would all be better off.

Gleason is a talent-starved troll whose job it is to feed on the team's failure and dysfunction. The fact that frustrated fans will look to him as some sort of prophet in the wilderness is, I guess, testament to how badly fans want the team to win and how far they appear to be from doing so.

Hats off to Gleason, Sullivan and the guys are WGR for refusing play "lets pretend Regier is a good GM", now if we can get some fans to quit playing that game we would all be better off.

These fans who believe that Darcy is a good GM--I believe that they're largely imagined.

We won't be better off until Pegula decides he's had enough of Darcy. And, from what we've seen, Pegula is far, far more patient and forgiving (perhaps with a healthy dose of arrogance) than anyone in the local media or among the posters on Sabre message boards.

That sounds right, and I agree it is a little wonky as written.

I also will just never understand all the ire over pieces written about the Sabres in the BN. Bucky's views are just as valid as anyone's. Plus, he got almost two pages here about him. He must be doing something right.

Sorry for my previous post. Didn't mean for it to come across so snarky. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

No apologies necessary. You're right to wonder over the anger that Bucky can generate -- I do a good job of ignoring him most of the time -- and then every now and then I just give in to a visceral level of hate I have for his writing.

[/size]

We won't be better off until Pegula decides he's had enough of Darcy. And, from what we've seen, Pegula is far, far more patient and forgiving (perhaps with a healthy dose of arrogance) than anyone in the local media or among the posters on Sabre message boards.

Which is only natural, I guess.

Despite Pegula's "history" as a die-hard fan, he seems like he hasn't been paying very close attention the past 16 years, cause if he had, he'd have lost patience too.

Fan or not, I think it's safe to assume he hasn't been following the team all that much prior to buying them, so from that perspective I can live at lot easier with his decision of extending Darcy - For Pegula it hasn't been 16 years, it's been 3-4 years.

At least it's a lot easier to stomach than option B, which is he's a flaming moron :flirt:

Which is only natural, I guess.

Despite Pegula's "history" as a die-hard fan, he seems like he hasn't been paying very close attention the past 16 years, cause if he had, he'd have lost patience too.

Fan or not, I think it's safe to assume he hasn't been following the team all that much prior to buying them, so from that perspective I can live at lot easier with his decision of extending Darcy - For Pegula it hasn't been 16 years, it's been 3-4 years.

At least it's a lot easier to stomach than option B, which is he's a flaming moron :flirt:

Terry seems like the guy who showed up in October 2006 with his slug jersey and hat, telling us about how he's loved the Sabres "forever." The Perreault bit was great, but then they let him talk too much and he revealed things like giving up his company's season tickets in 1998, not knowing the team was for sale in 2002 and his daughters getting him interested in hockey again around the lockout. Selling him as superfan was a mistake. On this board, he'd be a lightweight with 239 posts. But he's rich, so clearly Tpegs75 is going to lead us to a Cup.

Let’s get something straight. No GM should be allowed to rebuild his own team. Their job is to build. If a rebuild is required, which happens to be the case in Buffalo, it means a team was poorly built the first time. If you invest time and money in a core group of players, you need to be right. If you’re not, you need to be replaced.[/snip]

Kinda hard to argue with that.

Some people just need to shoot the messenger.

Well, lacking in that analysis is that most GM's don't have to operate under 3 different ownership regimes while trying to do their job. Regardless of his talent level, that is the case. It's a fairly unusual circumstance. In his parlance then if he is wrong about his predictions should we then fire him and keep from writing again?

Ok, it is time to raise the bull$#!+ flag. It is interesting, when your team is golfing to speculate and "play" GM. However, for Bucky, or any of the other miscreants in the media to call for someone's job, is idiotic. I hope they are doing it to generate ratings and do not truly think they are capable of making hockey ops decisions. It is also idiotic to say a coach or GM cannot rebuild a failed team in the same city. Most are rehired almost immediately. Do they get smarter? No, some learn from their mistakes. I am not happy with the results of th Darcy-Ruff tenure, but enough already. The owner has made his choice move on. Would they be OK, assuming the rebuild is successful, if they had to start over in a new city. Bucky to Dallas for Skip Bayless and a bag of pucks...

This also. What I find most ridiculous is the sheer number of people who proclaim to know more about how to run an NHL franchise than someone who is actually doing it. After the fact there is a lot of what could have been, should have been, might have been. Even then how can you believe it without corroboration? Sports teams have to play a constant game of manage the media and the general public while at the same time engaging in massive game theory against the other GMs of the world. To pretend that any statement that comes out now is true is taking a huge risk.

We sit here and look at 16 years of history with very little knowledge of what really happens in the day to day operations. We hear speculations and other items but don't know for certain. Let's assume for a minute that there are good reasons that Darcy made certain moves that we all don't like. If he calls out the ownership he'll get fired. If he calls them out then the word starts going around about how he's rocking the boat. What are the odds of him getting another job in hockey? Ask Ted Nolan about that... Then again, Darcy Regier might be a terrible GM.

I'm done listening to people who KNOW what another team is willing or not willing to do based on nothing more than purely speculative crap. The GM of the Sabres has been involved in some bad moves. He's also been involved in some good moves. There are some moves that are on the fence and depending on your views he's either Villefied for it or not.

Just watch the draft and see what happens. And don't listen to anything Bucky Gleason claims to know... anyone do an analysis of anything he predicts?

Terry seems like the guy who showed up in October 2006 with his slug jersey and hat, telling us about how he's loved the Sabres "forever." The Perreault bit was great, but then they let him talk too much and he revealed things like giving up his company's season tickets in 1998, not knowing the team was for sale in 2002 and his daughters getting him interested in hockey again around the lockout. Selling him as superfan was a mistake. On this board, he'd be a lightweight with 239 posts. But he's rich, so clearly Tpegs75 is going to lead us to a Cup.

Yeah, crazy talk. I mean what, other than two young daughters, a stressful job, and not living anywhere near Buffalo, would keep him from from hanging on every thing the Sabres were up to.

Here's my confession: I barely watched or paid attention to the Sabres from 2002-2004 when I lived in Maryland. And I didn't have an all-consuming job or kids to worry about.

Yeah, crazy talk. I mean what, other than two young daughters, a stressful job, and not living anywhere near Buffalo, would keep him from from hanging on every thing the Sabres were up to.

Here's my confession: I barely watched or paid attention to the Sabres from 2002-2004 when I lived in Maryland. And I didn't have an all-consuming job or kids to worry about.

Well done, sir.

My confession: When I was away at college in Boston, I paid very little attention to the Sabres or to the NHL. Of course, there was no internet to help a brother out. Anyway, I did see large portions of the May Day game at a Comm Ave. Bennigans, but not because I went there to watch the game, but because I was desperately trying (and failing) to woo an artsy chick from some local liberal arts college (maybe Emerson?). I have no idea why said artsy chick was at that Bennigans (maybe she wasn't so artsy after all), but that's my memory of May Day.

This topic could/should be its own thread: Times During Which I Was Not Really a Fan (or something to like effect).

This is so stupid. Everyone knows that billionaires are lazy people who lounge about all day on yachts and could easily know every single thing that's happening day to day with a sports team they like. <_<

A person who works just 40 hours a week with a family to take care of would have trouble following the team religiously. How is that supposed to work with a guy literally working his way up to billionaire status?

We sometimes (OK, often) forget that this message board does not represent all Sabres fans or even the average fans of any team. We're probably the top 0.01% in terms of screwed-up, overly-dedicated sports fans. We have a draft thread with over 50 pages and the draft is a week away. We have people doing mock drafts that go into the middle rounds.

This is so stupid. Everyone knows that billionaires are lazy people who lounge about all day on yachts and could easily know every single thing that's happening day to day with a sports team they like. <_<

A person who works just 40 hours a week with a family to take care of would have trouble following the team religiously. How is that supposed to work with a guy literally working his way up to billionaire status?

We sometimes (OK, often) forget that this message board does not represent all Sabres fans or even the average fans of any team. We're probably the top 0.01% in terms of screwed-up, overly-dedicated sports fans. We have a draft thread with over 50 pages and the draft is a week away. We have people doing mock drafts that go into the middle rounds.

Really? You too? The standard I'm applying is low: knowing the team's owner was led off in cuffs, the team went bankrupt and was run by the NHL, and was sold, ending the most serious crisis in franchise history. A fan of a team not knowing that is akin to an American not knowing 9/11 happened. I understand the desire on the part of the new ownership team to have the fan base believe one of their one was buying the team. They almost pulled it off. Then Terry spoke. His handlers have learned their lesson.

Really? You too? The standard I'm applying is low: knowing the team's owner was led off in cuffs, the team went bankrupt and was run by the NHL, and was sold, ending the most serious crisis in franchise history. A fan of a team not knowing that is akin to an American not knowing 9/11 happened. I understand the desire on the part of the new ownership team to have the fan base believe one of their one was buying the team. They almost pulled it off. Then Terry spoke. His handlers have learned their lesson.

C'mon, man. See my post and MattPie's above. Even the most currently ardent fan can have fallow periods in his/her past, for any number of reasons. You noted that his daughters got him back into the game post-lockout. Any ideas on when and by whom their seeds of fandom may have been planted?

These kinds of things are seldom black and white.

Wow... just wow... seriously? Next time you have a thought, just let it go.

There are people who live in Buffalo who couldn't tell you all that stuff though. MOST of the callers to WGR get their facts wrong when they try to lay out the team's history and those are people who care enough to call a radio station to talk about it.

I haven't read this entire thread so I'm not sure what the argument is here. I definitely DON'T think Pegula is a super fan who followed the team religiously and really paid a ton of attention every year. I think he grew up a Sabres fan and I think his reaction to meeting the French Connection before the game a few years back was pretty genuine. I think he drifted off when the rest of his life became more important (which is normal adult behavior, IMO).

He's not a super fan. He's a casual fan, which means he's just as likely to say goofy things about the team as the people on WGR or the people who sit in the stands (the ones that hated Pominville and think Gerbe should be captain).

This would be fine if he put some smart people in charge of the hockey to lead the way. But somehow Darcy Regier cast a spell on him and all he seems to know for sure is that Regier knows what he's doing.

There are people who live in Buffalo who couldn't tell you all that stuff though. MOST of the callers to WGR get their facts wrong when they try to lay out the team's history and those are people who care enough to call a radio station to talk about it.

I haven't read this entire thread so I'm not sure what the argument is here. I definitely DON'T think Pegula is a super fan who followed the team religiously and really paid a ton of attention every year. I think he grew up a Sabres fan and I think his reaction to meeting the French Connection before the game a few years back was pretty genuine. I think he drifted off when the rest of his life became more important (which is normal adult behavior, IMO).

He's not a super fan. He's a casual fan, which means he's just as likely to say goofy things about the team as the people on WGR or the people who sit in the stands (the ones that hated Pominville and think Gerbe should be captain).

This would be fine if he put some smart people in charge of the hockey to lead the way. But somehow Darcy Regier cast a spell on him and all he seems to know for sure is that Regier knows what he's doing.

He didn't grow up a Sabres fan. Sorry, it just bugs me that so many people are so gullible and refuse to question this owner. All because he got emotional upon seeing Perreault, a clearly scripted moment. But no it's… did you hear about the new owner? He's a realllllly big fan, grew up a fan, never missed a game, I heard! A real die hard. And he wants to win multiple Cups!

Wow... just wow... seriously? Next time you have a thought, just let it go.

Hitler's first move in Germany was forcing people to let their thoughts go.

He didn't grow up a Sabres fan. Sorry, it just bugs me that so many people are so gullible and refuse to question this owner. All because he got emotional upon seeing Perreault, a clearly scripted moment. But no it's… did you hear about the new owner? He's a realllllly big fan, grew up a fan, never missed a game, I heard! A real die hard. And he wants to win multiple Cups!

If he doesn't really care, why would he waste his time with the Sabres? With the kind of money he has, surely he could target a team with a much better return on his investment.

Either way, all he's responsible for is writing the paychecks. Money is no object to him so who cares if he is a real fan or not? I know, I know..... Darcy sucks, if Pegula cared he would have fired Darc, right?

C'mon, man. See my post and MattPie's above. Even the most currently ardent fan can have fallow periods in his/her past, for any number of reasons. You noted that his daughters got him back into the game post-lockout. Any ideas on when and by whom their seeds of fandom may have been planted?

These kinds of things are seldom black and white.

Sorry, not buying it. If in the midst of Pegula's speech on February 22, 2011 someone told you, hey buddy, this guy didn't know about Rigas, would that have seemed a bit off?

I relate it to my relatively brief tenure as a Mets fan, circa the mid 70s to early 80s. If I bought the Mets, tearfully asked where's Tom Seaver and went through that whole spiel, then later admitted I didn't know they tore down Shea Stadium, wouldn't I be roasted by those fans? Sabres fans tend not to own a set, kind of like their team.

If he doesn't really care, why would he waste his time with the Sabres? With the kind of money he has, surely he could target a team with a much better return on his investment.

Either way, all he's responsible for is writing the paychecks. Money is no object to him so who cares if he is a real fan or not? I know, I know..... Darcy sucks, if Pegula cared he would have fired Darc, right?

I'm still not sure why he bought the team. I've speculated before about his buying the team for his kids to have one day. Maybe the kids, especially the oldest ones, from his first marriage, are the future owners Ted Black is worried about when he talks about financial viability. Mike played hockey and the daughter was described by her dad as the biggest Sabres fan in town, or something. Terry may have honestly answered Scott Brown's question on day one about how long he was going to own the team, but since when do we pay attention to words'n'stuff?

LOL It's not often a SabreSpace thread gets Godwinned.

:doh:

I'm still not sure why he bought the team. I've speculated before about his buying the team for his kids to have one day. Maybe the kids, especially the oldest ones, from his first marriage, are the future owners Ted Black is worried about when he talks about financial viability. Mike played hockey and the daughter was described by her dad as the biggest Sabres fan in town, or something. Terry may have honestly answered Scott Brown's question on day one about how long he was going to own the team, but since when do we pay attention to words'n'stuff?

All I'm saying is, Golisano didn't care about hockey, never made himself available to the public, retained Darcy and had a very short leash in terms of spending. Pegula supposedly cares about hockey (at the very worst, he doesn't), he occassionally makes himself available to the public, retained Darcy and writes blank checks.

Besides keeping Darcy, I really don't see why Pegula is even in any discussions. Does it matter how often he addresses the public? Does it matter how much, or how little he cares about hockey? Who he grew up following, how much he cares about hockey, how big a fan he is, how many games he attends............. it's all irrelevant. Nobody ever talked about Golisano, but Pegula comes in and tries to right this ship and for the last few months has been chastised by the fans and the media. If it were me, I would flip BFLO the bird and say I'm taking my team and money to Hamilton. :angel:

...and there it is.

Please keep it over here

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21880-the-trial-of-terry-pegula/

Archived