Wanted: Assistant Coaches: Joe Sacco

IKnowPhysics

So it's a coin toss?

A little better but got it, not statisticallly significant for making the playoffs. Would be interested in what the statistics will be for how far teams with former head coaches go in the playoffs and what if any stats there on team advances from previous years.

No....75% of teams that have an assistant with head coaching experience are in the playoffs

38% of teams without such experience made it to the playoffs.

Ah differing stats... hmmm, so what are the actual numbers, really.

A little better but got it, not statisticallly significant for making the playoffs. Would be interested in what the statistics will be for how far teams with former head coaches go in the playoffs and what if any stats there on team advances from previous years.

If those 12 teams SeaBass listed are the ones with said coaches.....9 of 12 made it to the playoffs...for 75% success rate

That leaves 18 teams without a former head coach.....7 of those 18 made it for a 38% success rate.

Both top seeds as well as 4 of 6 division winners had a former head coach on their staff.

The numbers were similar last time we played this game........

0.75x + 0.38(30-x) = 16

0.75x - 0.38x + 11.4 = 16

0.37x = 4.6

x = 12

12 teams have NHL HC assistants

9 of those teams made it (75%)

18 teams do not have NHL HC assistants

7 of those teams made it (38%)

FTLOF, this ain't hard. You want experienced guys on your staff, not newbies.

You want to be Hockey Heaven, a championship machine? Look at the franchises you want to emulate — Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, I dunno who else. It's not teeny talent time in any of those towns.

This thread has just about pushed me over the edge.

For those who like some light reading

http://forums.sabres...200#entry407871

Do you know Ruff's system thread starts about here.

Thank You!

FTLOF, this ain't hard. You want experienced guys on your staff, not newbies.

You want to be Hockey Heaven, a championship machine? Look at the franchises you want to emulate — Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, I dunno who else. It's not teeny talent time in any of those towns.

This thread has just about pushed me over the edge.

I lost it last year rereading that thread. I always love going back year after year to see the insults hurled, only for the Sabres to sink deeper and deeper into doo-doo.

I just don't have the passion to research that deeply anymore.....

Thank You!

I lost it last year rereading that thread. I always love going back year after year to see the insults hurled, only for the Sabres to sink deeper and deeper into doo-doo.

I just don't have the passion to research that deeply anymore.....

Go deep or go home!

Teppo still on board, though. Bucky's tweet:

Source: James Patrick and Kevyn Adams have been fired. Teppo is staying. Darcy loves Teppo. Darcy and Patrick not best buds.

Is he calling RR Darcy as a joke? Or does he think DR is pulling the strings?

I don't know enough about what Adams and Patrick do to give them a fair assessment.

But I like this for two reasons:

It shows Rolston is not afraid to make tough decisions and be his own man.

And it gives hope for a power play that never should have been that bad.

Teppo still on board, though. Bucky's tweet:

Source: James Patrick and Kevyn Adams have been fired. Teppo is staying. Darcy loves Teppo. Darcy and Patrick not best buds.

Interesting. To me, this is a similar situation to when the Indiana Pacers moved Frank Vogel from interim to head coach (im a Pacers fan). After season ended, they waited to hire Vogel for weeks, and it turned out the reason was, he was only going to be hired if he was able to bring in a respected assistant. If he wasn't able, he wouldn't have gotten the job because Pacers felt he was too inexperienced to take the job full-time and wanted him to have help. I wonder if this is similar? Rolston was given a few days/weeks to present to Darcy Regier what kind of assistants he can bring in to help him?

Im guessing Craig Ramsey will be an assistant.

Archived