Wanted: Assistant Coaches: Joe Sacco

IKnowPhysics

Rolston's hired and Train Kept a Rollin'.

He's going to make decisions about assistant coaches in the next week or so: whether to keep some or all of the current staff, and who else to add or serve as replacements.

Likely the bolded positions would be most likely to be shifted, but technically everyone's up for grabs:

Head Coach---Ron Rolston

Assistant Coach---James Patrick

Assistant Coach---Kevyn Adams

Assistant Coach---Teppo Numminen

Strength & Conditioning Coach---Doug McKenney

Asst. Strength & Conditioning Coach---J.T. Allaire

Goaltender Coach---Jim Corsi

Administrative Assistant Coach---Corey Smith

Athletic Trainer---Tim Macre

Asst. Athletic Trainer---Bob Mowry

Equipment Manager---Dave Williams

Equipment Manager---Rip Simonick

Assistant Equipment Manager---George Babcock

Massage Therapist---Chuck Garlow

Let's hear your thoughts.

My first thought is to spare no $Pegulas and rehire Scotty Arniel as the powerplay coach if he'd be up for that, but he's currently HC of the Chicago Wolves, so he may not be.

It would be awesome to see some former Sabre greats (who also have some real coaching experience) brought in. Craig Ramsay, Pat LaFontaine, Jim Schoenfeld... But of course, that won't happen 'cause you can't have assistant coaches whose personas outshine both the head coach AND the GM (put together). Be prepared for guys whose hockey resumes would fit on a dinner napkin. :yawn:

It would be awesome to see some former Sabre greats (who also have some real coaching experience) brought in. Craig Ramsay, Pat LaFontaine, Jim Schoenfeld... But of course, that won't happen 'cause you can't have assistant coaches whose personas outshine both the head coach AND the GM (put together). Be prepared for guys whose hockey resumes would fit on a dinner napkin. :yawn:

I was just thinking about Schoney. When they had the big alumni thing last year, was he there? I can't say the last time I remember hearing about him being in Buffalo as part of any alumni event?

Where have Sabre "greats" gotten us?

I'd like to see new strength and conditioning coaches. This team consistently looks a step behind and the only time we see guys with jump it's because they're call ups.

We could also use an assistant with an eye for the power play which has suffered tremendously for years.

The man in charge of our pp should be fired. Personally I think all the assistants should go and let Roloston pick his own group.

I should add I bet all the coaches stay because we live on the island of sunshine and kittens where no one gets their feelings hurt.

I think we should have rotating coaches...

Interesting. I sometimes envisioned Lindy on a spit.

I'd keep all of them if i can. I highly doubt we'd be able to get anyone better to agree to join such an unproven head coach and loser organization as this one.

Good post. Who's out there who's better than Teppo Numminen?

I highly doubt we'd be able to get anyone better to agree to join such an unproven head coach and loser organization as this one.

That's the spirit. Self defeat!

Who's out there who's better than Teppo Numminen?

Nobody seems to know, but everyone seems to claim that they MUST be better than who we have now.

A friend brought this up question up yesterday....hockey coaches vs football coaches....how important are they to their respective teams? I'm not a huge NFL fan, but I'd guess NFL head coach has a pretty big impact on win/loss. Schemes, strategy, etc. Belichick. NHL coach much less. To me, the NHL coach is much more culture/leader guy than X/O/strategy. Hockey has a smaller field of play and fewer players involved, less variables.

That said, as mentioned in the other thread, Teppo and Patrick need to be held accountable for Myers to some degree. Even if Lindy was bullying him, coach him through it. "yeah Lindy's old school, now pull your head out of your ass".

Yep, that's crazy talk on their part. Teppo's coaching resume speaks for itself.

I never claimed that there aren't better assistant coaches available, but who are they and what makes them better? Or at least potentially better? Why should they be hired? If that can't be answered, then yes, it's crazy talk. Lots of posters might pretend that the grass is greener on the other side, but they can't even see the other lawn.

WIth respect to Tyler Myers, does anyone else think that Myers came out of the lockout with subpar conditioning?

Tyler Myers thinks that.

“I’ll be the first to admit I definitely need to turn things around, get back on that path to improving and working on the things that have made me successful. It’s just a matter of working that much harder this offseason.”...

Conditioning and keeping his weight have been regular issues for Myers, who said he will shuttle between Buffalo and British Columbia this summer in an effort to be in better shape for training camp in September.

“I don’t want to lose any quickness. Skating is a big part of my game and I don’t want gaining weight to affect that,” he said. “It’s just a matter that I think diet is going to be a really big thing for me.”

Maybe there's a case to hire Gary Roberts as a conditioning coach. Or maybe Myers needs to be held accountable for his conditioning. Nobody blamed Doug McKenney for Raffi Torres' fat ass.

I never claimed that there aren't better assistant coaches available, but who are they and what makes them better? Or at least potentially better? Why should they be hired? If that can't be answered, then yes, it's crazy talk. Lots of posters might pretend that the grass is greener on the other side, but they can't even see the other lawn.

Perhaps they should purchase Scotts 4 step program..............................And fire our defensive coaches. Whoever has been working with Myers should be embarassed. As, I've stated before, the longer he has been away from his junior coaches, the more he has regressed. Plain as day, even with a brown lawn.

I like Adams, Teppo is probably better educator, but motivator not sure. I like adding Gary Roberts idea, Jim Corsi I think is good and should be kept. Would love Schoeny as a motivator. The Rangers seem to like him as an Assistant GM, could he be a viable replacement for Darcy?

I can't buy that logic. If someone wants to tell me Jim Kelly is to be preferred as offensive coordinator of the Bills over other candidates, the burden is on them to explain why. I don't have to prove why other candidates are better. It goes without saying. There are a million guys better than Kelly for that job, for obvious reasons.

I can't buy that logic. If someone wants to tell me Jim Kelly is to be preferred as offensive coordinator of the Bills over other candidates, the burden is on them to explain why. I don't have to prove why other candidates are better. It goes without saying. There are a million guys better than Kelly for that job, for obvious reasons.

But that's why this thread exists: Of those millions of guys, name one. Or a couple. Or justify Teppo's continued employment. Or frame the important requirements of an assistant coach, and then pontificate about why the current staff does or does not meet those requirements. Express some thoughts beyond "incumbent candidate sucks" or "a million unnamable persons would be better"- that's the easy way out.

I like Adams, Teppo is probably better educator, but motivator not sure. I like adding Gary Roberts idea, Jim Corsi I think is good and should be kept. Would love Schoeny as a motivator. The Rangers seem to like him as an Assistant GM, could he be a viable replacement for Darcy?

A couple people have said Adams is good. Any reasons why? Decent local kid with a decent NHL career, Cup included.

I agree about Teppo. I'm sure he sees the game really well, undoubetedly a product of his long defensive playing career, which is why he was up in the box for games on the headset. Don't know what his other strong points are.

Not sure what Patricks strong points are beyond his long career. I get the impression he's a clear communicator and a student of defensive tactics (but maybe not systems).

I've never read a bad word about Jim Corsi, I've even read some of his work. I know that goalie coaching is more of a psychologist position than others on the coaching staff. I don't know if you change goalie coaches if you want to maintain a good relationship with your goalies.

i don't really care who they keep or get rid of. Except Patrick. I want him gone. I hold him responsible for the horrible, lost, clueless play of the defense for the majority of the year. Maybe he is a good communicator or a great teacher but he was the defense coach of a team that looked like they didn't belong on the ice with a bantam team.

I would rather jam my grandma's knitting needle up a random entry point than have a conversation with James Patrick. That guy is like the 2nd oboe player in the Des Moines Philharmonic who would look down upon Charlie Parker.....

Teppo is a nice fella.

I agree with Chz surprisingly....Adams would be the only one I'd think about seriously.

But that's why this thread exists: Of those millions of guys, name one. Or a couple. Or justify Teppo's continued employment. Or frame the important requirements of an assistant coach, and then pontificate about why the current staff does or does not meet those requirements. Express some thoughts beyond "incumbent candidate sucks" or "a million unnamable persons would be better"- that's the easy way out.

It's really not that complicated, man. You just want a debate for the sake of a debate. Want to make a bet? Assuming Ron cleans house with the staff (a huge assumption), not one of Adams-Patrick-Numminen is coaching in the NHL next season.

Archived