Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

From what my buddies are predicting they are positive the Bills will try to trade down into mid teens. They will draft Nassib in the 1st round it will be a reach but better get a decent qb prospect than continue as they have... with jokers.

Shefter is reporting the same thing

Shefter is reporting the same thing

I don't doubt that's what they want to do. Question is whether they'll be able to win the proverbial poker game that's involved.

The Jets pick soon (right?) after us, but, as QB needy as they are, I think they're going to wait until 2014 to get their new franchise QB.

I don't doubt that's what they want to do. Question is whether they'll be able to win the proverbial poker game that's involved.

The Jets pick soon (right?) after us, but, as QB needy as they are, I think they're going to wait until 2014 to get their new franchise QB.

That's just it, I don't think trading down is worth the risk. Despite this being perceived as a bad QB class, so many teams need them that they will get desperate. If Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder can go in the top-12, so can this year's crop. Stay at 8 and make sure you get your guy...we've been without a QB for too long to give a rat's ass about "reaching".

Despite this being perceived as a bad QB class, so many teams need them that they will get desperate. If Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder can go in the top-12, so can this year's crop.

Ugh. Are we saying that the Bills need to use their current draft position (8th) in order to take a chance on a potentially (likely?) crappy QB? I heard this class compared to the class of 2000, which is when Chad Pennington went mid-first-round and then no other QB came off the board until early round 3 (and that guy was from Hofstra and, as far as I can recall, never had an NFL career).

Ugh. Are we saying that the Bills need to use their current draft position (8th) in order to take a chance on a potentially (likely?) crappy QB? I heard this class compared to the class of 2000, which is when Chad Pennington went mid-first-round and then no other QB came off the board until early round 3 (and that guy was from Hofstra and, as far as I can recall, never had an NFL career).

Well, QBs were also less important in 2000 than in today's NFL, so it makes sense a weak class would result in only a single first rounder. The draft is a crapshoot anyway, so might as well take a shot at the most important position when the alternative is two guys you know are terrible.

and some guy from Michigan, he's been pretty good. :)

If they feel like there is a guy who has an opportunity to be a solid NFL QB they can't afford to get cute and worry about moving back and getting him later, they are in such a terrible position that they need to make certain that they get him.

Well, QBs were also less important in 2000 than in today's NFL, so it makes sense a weak class would result in only a single first rounder. The draft is a crapshoot anyway, so might as well take a shot at the most important position when the alternative is two guys you know are terrible.

Fair enough.

and some guy from Michigan, he's been pretty good. :)

If ever there were an anomaly, an exception to a rule, Touchdown Tommy would be it.

I haven't had a chance to do much draft prep this year.....but going through the combine video now. My opinions are based soley on these videos, but to me they are the single most helpfull thing to seeing what type of athlete you are getting in a snapshot in time versus all the other available athletes. I had a pretty good beat on things last year as far as where guys got picked. Many of the guys I had in rounds 2-3 turned out to be quality starters. So I will probably blow this year!

QB

Tyler Wilson - ARK ..........This is the ONLY guy I see that I would want to hitch my wagon to. He's not the biggest, and certainly not a scrambler, but he is built like a brick. He looks decisive in his footwork and throws, and has great zip and trajectory. And the thing that stands out is he looks like a passionate competitor who always goes hard, but stays under control. So many of the QBs in the drills look like it is a drill. Wilson looks like it is a mission. The guy reminds me of a more articulate Jim Kelly in all honesty....the build, the arm, the pocket hold........I'm not in love, but I think this guy is a 10 year NFL starter. It looks like no way he goes top 10, but he looks like too much of a winner to chance waiting in the 2nd round. If we got him in the 2nd I would be jumping for joy, and he's the kind of guy that could come in and push Kolb to work hard and make him better.

CB

Robert Alford - SE Lou..........Has a big smooth gait for straight line speed and a good hip flip and footwork which makes it hard to get beat on long routes because he can close. He also is fast in changing direction from backpeddle to forward, which is key in run support and identifying screen/short game. He's not stout down low and just a tad slight in build. Overall he looks to have the smoothness and change of direction skills to be worth a shot with our 2nd rounder for sure. Not a shutdown guy, but one who can close fast and make up for mistakes. Could go late 1st but don't see him dropping out of the 2nd. Best of the bunch of 4 or 5 mentioned in his general area.

TE

Mychal Rivera - TEN.......From what I can see, the tight ends are just dogs. Nobody in the top grouping has the whole package. The kid from Stanford is smooth but long. So instead of wasting a pick up top, this Rivera kid from Tennessee looks like a nice depth guy in the 6th or 7th round. He's very smooth in his running and catching but not fast. He has long arms and puts tons of effort into things, but he is about 20 lbs too light. He looks like he wants it, and his smoothness alone is worth a stab. In all honesty, I wish the guy played hockey because he looks like a franchise defenseman!

WR

Tavon Austin - WVU......Wow! I see why his name has been flying up the boards. This is NOT Roscoe Parrish. Easily the #1 receiver off the board. He is short, but built like a sparkplug. He is the most balanced of any athlete I have seen going through drills to this point. He is smooth in his straight line speed because of his balance. He bursts into his routes, and when you combine that with his balance, he should be able to kill guys on double moves. He is also intense but under control and powerful in all his movements. I love this kid and can't see how he drops below the 10-15 range. I haven't made it to OL/DL/LB/S yet, but so far, I would not be ashamed one bit to take him at #8. In fact, we probably have a perfect spot to trade down with someone who wants him...there have to be multiple GM's drooling for this kid.

Rodney Smith - FSU......Intersting WR in the 5th round or so. He is tall, but not built throughout, yet hardly a scrawny guy. He looks to run too upright at times, but he is very smooth for a big guy and his routes look smoother than many of the guys projected to go in the first few rounds. Hands on the run as well. If you can add just a little bit of bulk and get him not as upright so CB's can't jam him, he has pretty much the exact same skillset as Stevie Johnson. I like him.

S

Johnathan Cyprien - FIU.....there looks to be some safety depth...this kid is built strong, he has fluidity and can change direction, and looks like he has the range to make plays. Looks aware and another who took these drills like a competitor. Who goes first between him and Vaccaro is a tossup in my opinion as this kid has more upside but Vaccaro is safer.

Kenny Vaccaro - TEX......looks like a calm and confident type who is very smooth and has a good enough build and size to take on the better receiving TE's without needing a corner. Doesn't look like a punisher, but someone who can use skill and savy. Probably a no-brainer as a starter in the league, but not in my opinion something you target in the top 15.

There are 4 or 5 guys who look servicable as 3rd-5th round guys, but nobody that really stands out in that range

LB......the top guys didn't work out and I couldn't find anything good......

OL

Lane Johnson - OKLA.......after watching the projected top 2 tackles, then this guy....the athleticism is night and day. The only thing holding this kid back from being the #1 pick of the tackles is his shallow frame. It doesn't look like he will be able to add tons of bulk in my opinion, but he has amazing footwork, can move in space, and has great reach. Joeckel looks like a stud, but his finesse game is nowhere near what this guy would bring. Fischer is a mix between the two. It looks like there is no chance Johnson falls to #8, but next to Austin, he would be 2nd favorite in that range. I wouldn't blame a team for making him 1st lineman off board.

Larry Warford - Kentucky......For a big guard, he has amazing footwork and quickness. He is sloppy in build, but stout. He isn't fast but his recognition in changing directions is top notch. If he was built like more of a rock, I could see his name being mentioned from 10-20. As is, he is a end of the first round to mid 2nd round guy. He would replace Levitre's skill set if not better it in my opinion.

I'm seeing a lot of depth in the OL here.....you can get a roster player from round 3-5....not guys that will blow you away, but it looks like a good year.

More later....

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

If they Bills can trade back they need to. I don't foresee the run on quarterbacks prior to the end of the 1st or beginning of the second. Maybe Minn would be a good trade partner. See if you can drop to 22nd and get their late 2nd rounder as well.

If they Bills can trade back they need to. I don't foresee the run on quarterbacks prior to the end of the 1st or beginning of the second. Maybe Minn would be a good trade partner. See if you can drop to 22nd and get their late 2nd rounder as well.

It really is a risky gambit to trade back and hope one of your guys is still there. I'm more than a little fascinated by all the "information" that gets out there about how such-and-such team is really interested in so-and-so--it's all a high-stakes game. I just don't think that the Bills can afford to get too cute here--if they have a guy identified as someone who can be a franchise-caliber QB, then take him at 8 and be done with it.

I think it's obvious the Bills want to move down. NFL Network just reported Tavon Austin is #1 on the Bills board.....shocking that news would come out on draft day :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm still against trading back. Target your QB and take him.

I think it's obvious the Bills want to move down. NFL Network just reported Tavon Austin is #1 on the Bills board.....shocking that news would come out on draft day :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm still against trading back. Target your QB and take him.

I'm telling you now....I think someone moves up between #3-#6 to take him. If I were the Bills, I would move down before the draft starts if that's what you want to do. I have Austin as the most dynamic player in the whole draft, so I wouldn't be shocked to think the Bills aren't blowing smoke. If they wait for the pick though, he could be gone and you lose the luster of that pick.

If I'm the Bills, I want to get as many picks between 15 and 50 as possible. If you can get the 15 and 45 for the 8, then spin that 15 for the 25 and 55 since you get your pick of the litter of the 2nd tier at 15...that would be my master plan if possible. At 25, 41, 45 and 55......you can probably get 4 starters on opening day if things fall perfectly.

If Austin is there at #8......I want him. Hands down. You can give defenses nightmares with Spiller, Austin, Freddy and Stevie on the field at the same time. 2 legit gamebreakers and 2 smart, tough players who can all line up just about anywhere.

I don't want a QB unless Tyler Wilson is there in the 2nd or maybe late 1st if you think he's the goods.

This draft is very weak at WR/LB/CB/QB in my opinion.

The draft is good at S/OL

In the back of my head, depending how things shake out, a backup plan this year could be moving Glenn to guard and have Hairston start at tackle. Pears was NOT healthy last year and should bounce back strong. You can find a tackle/guard at 3-5 as well that could hit.

In my dream scenario.....with the trade downs you get Cyprien - SS, Alford - CB, Wilson - QB, and Warford - G.......

My issues with Wilson is durability and throwing ability. His arm strength is average IMO and there are questions about if he can remain healthy.

The good news is he fits the Bills system and is an SEC product meaning he has played good defenses.

Why move Glenn to guard when he seemed to do a pretty fine job as a rookie LT?

My issues with Wilson is durability and throwing ability. His arm strength is average IMO and there are questions about if he can remain healthy.

The good news is he fits the Bills system and is an SEC product meaning he has played good defenses.

If the Bills can protect him he should be able to remain healthy. I remember watching some videos of his college play (some time ago) and he would get rocked every fifth play just standing in the pocket and making a throw.

whether or not some or any of your prognostications comes true, your level of attention to and comprehension of the bills and the nfl makes me view my fandom as though it belonged to a pink-uniform-wearing blue-light-lime-drinking ditzoid.

For the record, is that bad? Sounds bad..

Why move Glenn to guard when he seemed to do a pretty fine job as a rookie LT?

If the Bills can protect him he should be able to remain healthy. I remember watching some videos of his college play (some time ago) and he would get rocked every fifth play just standing in the pocket and making a throw.

Valid point.

All I know is that I think Barkley is a bad idea. It isn't that he plays for USC its that he had some decent options and played in a weak conference. I think he looks better than he really will be in the NHL.

I favor Nassib because Syracuse sucked, he had meh receivers from what I understand, and he was in a weak conference but he had to at least overcome something as oppose to smooth sailing.

Honestly it could be my biased and fan boy glasses for Nassib but he looks the best to me.

O but dear god no E.J. Manuel... FSU wasn't bad or anything but just no.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.