Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

I'll just say this. In my opinion, this is the first Bills team, since the Flutie days, to be playing w/ their own feelings of energy/excitement. Their own feeling of looking forward to getting on the football wearing a Bills jersey. I'm in no way saying this is the best team since the Flutie days. Just saying this is the first team since then to be playing w/ a their own feelings of energy, excitement and pride.

One confession: I withhold emotional investment in these games to such a point that, when Johnson caught the winner, I was happy, but not rabidly elated like I might've been in years past. That's the trade-off I've made for myself, albeit reluctantly -- I can't afford having my Sunday (and Monday) ruined by a heartbreaking loss. On the other side of the coin, I'm happy the Bills won, but I don't have that vaguely walking-on-clouds feeling that I used to get after a big Week 2 win like that one.

I also like PA's take on Manuel. There's something in the guy -- a goodness, almost -- that makes me want to believe that he can be our franchise QB. He just seems to "get it", as they say.

But even after the heroics, I have my doubts. If his accuracy does not improve (he missed Chandler for an easy score there in the first quarter), he will trend toward being more Josh Freeman than ... well, I'm not sure what existing QB is akin to his "ceiling" (Luck?) ... just say, a franchise QB.

It's game two. Lots of positive things here, lots of hope, but still plenty of room for both doubt and improvement. If it eases the jitters, it's handy to remember that Eli Manning sucked a fat dick his first year(s), and that a QB's career will be defined more by how well he overcomes his weaknesses rather than the magnitude of his initial successes.

This game cemented my thoughts about game one: the Bills are fun to watch again.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

It's game two. Lots of positive things here, lots of hope, but still plenty of room for both doubt and improvement. If it eases the jitters, it's handy to remember that Eli Manning sucked a fat dick his first year(s), and that a QB's career will be defined more by how well he overcomes his weaknesses rather than the magnitude of his initial successes.

This game cemented my thoughts about game one: the Bills are fun to watch again.

good post. i especially love that that phrase makes it through the profanity filter.

given that he's thrown 7 INT's so far this year, there are some who will say that eli's back to his old ways.

But even after the heroics, I have my doubts. If his accuracy does not improve (he missed Chandler for an easy score there in the first quarter), he will trend toward being more Josh Freeman than ... well, I'm not sure what existing QB is akin to his "ceiling" (Luck?) ... just say, a franchise QB.

This was the knock against EJ coming out of FSU, he had accuracy problems. Will be interesting to see how that limits him going forward. I do hope he continues to succeed but these have been 2 tough games to win and we need to dominate a Jets team that IMPO is not all that good. Long way to go but at least EJ has shown good signs.

This was the knock against EJ coming out of FSU, he had accuracy problems. Will be interesting to see how that limits him going forward. I do hope he continues to succeed but these have been 2 tough games to win and we need to dominate a Jets team that IMPO is not all that good. Long way to go but at least EJ has shown good signs.

Neither are the Bills ;)

Seriously though, the Jets played the Patriots arguably better than we did until Geno Smith imploded with turnovers. I don't know why you feel we have to dominate them.

In other news, did anyone else catch the quote from Byrd about Pettine? It's in here: http://www.wgr550.com/Buscaglia--Sideline-Reactions--Bills-24---Panthers/17299368

"I'm going to be honest with you. Everything Coach Pettine talked about in the meeting… happened. A lot of it that he emphasized to us, you saw it play out out there. Credit to him and what he's brought over to add to this defense. Guys were just flying around, and like I said, everything he said it came to fruition… Tendency wise, things on Brady. It was legit."

1) That's pretty legit praise for Pettine.

2) Oh that locker room cancer bum Jairus Byrd, how DARE he be complimentary of the coaching staff!?!?! He's just setting it up to tear it all down, trade him now before he executes his nefarious plot!!!! :rolleyes:

I watched him play a ton at Florida State (I'm an ACC guy) and accuracy was never a big problem with him from what I saw. His worst year in college he completed over 65%. He had a rough game against Florida last year, but otherwise looked good the whole year. I saw him beat my team (Virginia Tech) with a last minute drive, which rarely happens against a Bud Foster coached defense.

Neither are the Bills ;)

Seriously though, the Jets played the Patriots arguably better than we did until Geno Smith imploded with turnovers. I don't know why you feel we have to dominate them.

In other news, did anyone else catch the quote from Byrd about Pettine? It's in here: http://www.wgr550.co...nthers/17299368

Without Amendola, the Bills would have beaten the Pats.

I thought we were better than to take one part of one sentence grossly out of the context in which it was stated, but I guess not. We've disagreed frequently, but wow, you just lost a ton of respect from me doing that garbage.

Lighten up dude, I wasn't being serios. And the rest of the sentence had nothing to do with Byrd, hence the reason I didn't include it.

Damn this place is uptight and regular season hasn't even started yet.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Lighten up dude, I wasn't being serios. And the rest of the sentence had nothing to do with Byrd, hence the reason I didn't include it.

Damn this place is uptight and regular season hasn't even started yet.

You certainly have a tendency to blame everyone else instead of yourself.

Couldn't help but think of this quote from Deadspin this year on why the Bills suck

"Every year, the Bills win one game early, and that one win—even if it's against a shi**y opponent—is enough to turn every dumbf*** Bills fan into Ron Jaworski. I TELL YOU WHAT I REALLY LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS I THINK THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO BE AN OUTSTANDING TEAM IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. It takes virtually nothing to sucker these people in. They are the lab rat that keeps getting shocked by the electrified cheese."

I'm one of those lab rats....

Edited by wjag

I suppose we're always hopeful that the power plant finally runs out of fuel powering that electrified queso.

Besides, what are we going to do, give up on them? No chance in hell. That's one of the reasons why the Patriots fanbase is so awful, 90% of them did give up on their team, then bandwagoned the shits out of it when they started winning again. That's no way to be.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Without Amendola, the Bills would have beaten the Pats.

Edelman has 7 receptions for 79 yards and 2 TDs. Vereen had a 101 yards on 14 carries and 7 receptions for 58 yards. The Bills had 5 receptions total by wide receivers. The better team found a way to win when they weren't at their best. Amendola or not, Brady and the Patriots would have found a way.

Edelman has 7 receptions for 79 yards and 2 TDs. Vereen had a 101 yards on 14 carries and 7 receptions for 58 yards. The Bills had 5 receptions total by wide receivers. The better team found a way to win when they weren't at their best. Amendola or not, Brady and the Patriots would have found a way.

I disagree. Without Amendola drawing double coverage Edelman doesn't put up those numbers.

That cheese is shockingly tasty.... I am too a caged lab rat, as is 75% of the city at this point.

I would think the majority of football fans in the area know where this team is at this point. The Bills beat a below average team on Sunday with an exciting finish, a finish which should do wonders for their rookie QB's confidence going forward. I don't think that means that a large portion of the fan base is putting money aside for playoff tickets. It's going to take a few seasons to fill out the roster and learn how to walk as they say. 2013 is about EJ Manuel, if the kid turns out to be the player fans hope he will be it will allow the Bills to concentrate on other areas instead of searching for a QB which they have done for what seems to be an eternity.

I disagree. Without Amendola drawing double coverage Edelman doesn't put up those numbers.

10 receptions for 104 yards while being "double covered" tells you the Bills had issues in the secondary. The Pats receivers had 21 receptions in the game which really should have been closer to 30 if Tompkins didn't have his issues with the ball. Not to take anything away from Amendola because he had a nice game, he is a cog in the machine known as the Patriots offense.

I would think the majority of football fans in the area know where this team is at this point. The Bills beat a below average team on Sunday with an exciting finish, a finish which should do wonders for their rookie QB's confidence going forward. I don't think that means that a large portion of the fan base is putting money aside for playoff tickets. It's going to take a few seasons to fill out the roster and learn how to walk as they say. 2013 is about EJ Manuel, if the kid turns out to be the player fans hope he will be it will allow the Bills to concentrate on other areas instead of searching for a QB which they have done for what seems to be an eternity.

10 receptions for 104 yards while being "double covered" tells you the Bills had issues in the secondary. The Pats receivers had 21 receptions in the game which really should have been closer to 30 if Tompkins didn't have his issues with the ball. Not to take anything away from Amendola because he had a nice game, he is a cog in the machine known as the Patriots offense.

I stand by my statement. The mighty pats offense scored 13 points against an awful Jets team without Amendola.

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle but she doesn't. Saying the Pats should have had more but for Tompkins troubles is silly. They should have had less but for CJ's fumble giving them the short field and SJ's untimely drop.

Look we're not a great team. I'm fine with that, but the Pats aren't all that great either.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. They were always down by less than a touchdown. Bulldog said a woman stopped him in the parking lot and asked "Did they actually win that game?"

What the hell is wrong with the "diehard" fans in Buffalo that they'd rather try to beat traffic than stick around to see if their rookie QB can engineer an amazing comeback? Pretty astonishing that that was a thing today.

When you kick a dog too many times, it flinches for no good reason. So it goes with Bills fans. It's been so long since they could expect a comeback win, they just can't imagine the possibility.

When you kick a dog too many times, it flinches for no good reason. So it goes with Bills fans. It's been so long since they could expect a comeback win, they just can't imagine the possibility.

It's been two years since they did it back-to-back. It was silly for anyone to leave that game unless there was a medical emergency.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.