The other sports thread

Eleven

Goodnight, Nationals. I work too hard to watch the end of this, and I hope it isn't the end of the season. If Williams had a brain, I'd at least be assured of a Game 5.

Might be in luck. Bryce Harper just hit a ball across the cove, and it's all tied at 2 in the 7th.

I also cannot stand the idea that you shouldn't swing at the first pitch. So many guys will never lift the bat off their shoulder as the pitch comes in. I'd be willing to bet that, in about 25% of at-bats, the first pitch is the best pitch the batter will see. Jayson Werth does it allllllll the time.

I also cannot stand the idea that you shouldn't swing at the first pitch. So many guys will never lift the bat off their shoulder as the pitch comes in. I'd be willing to bet that, in about 25% of at-bats, the first pitch is the best pitch the batter will see. Jayson Werth does it allllllll the time.

They had the stat in the game, batters who swung and put the ball in play on the first pitch hit an average .350-.360 something. Even Harper hit .309 (or .319?) and he;s critiqued for swinging too much on the first pitch.

Rationale is, I think, make the pitcher work. Yet the number one thing for most pitchers is throw strikes, and get out front in the count. So it makes sense they want to start off with a strike.

ESPN got every single wildcard game and divisional series wrong:

http://espn.go.com/m...ting-postseason

Amazing.

the only prediction that is even close is Tristan Cockcroft, but he has the Nats winning the WS.

Tristan Cockcroft

@SultanofStat

ESPN Fantasy

AL: KAN over OAK

NL: SF over PIT

ALDS: KAN over LAA

BAL over DET

NLDS: WAS over SF

STL over LAD

ALCS: BAL over KAN

NLCS: WAS over STL

Edited by Touched by Boyes

So Gurley is suspended for what Manziel did with impunity, it seems. It SEEMS, so far.

There are some serious inequalities in the system in the NCAA. They sure don't like certain types getting too "uppity."

You know what bothers me more, it isn't that Gurley is suspended for signing autographs, it's that raping or sexually assaulting a girl gets you no suspension at all, AKA Jameis Winston.

This country is @ss backwards.

Edited by LGR4GM

You know what bothers me more, it isn't that Gurley is suspended for signing autographs, it's that raping or sexually assaulting a girl gets you no suspension at all, AKA Jameis Winston.

This country is @ss backwards.

There have been false accusations of rape or sexual assault before, just ask Michael Irvin or the Duke lacrosse team. I note that the accuser at Florida has just dropped her accusation and Florida's QB has been cleared to return to campus.

I am not saying that accusations should not be taken seriously. And I agree that substantiated allegations should carry much greater consequences than signing autographs. But I think we have to be careful. I don't know how much proof there was in Winston's situation.

Edited by Eleven

There have been false accusations of rape or sexual assault before, just ask Michael Irvin or the Duke lacrosse team. I note that the accuser at Florida has just dropped her accusation and Florida's QB has been cleared to return to campus.

I am not saying that accusations should not be taken seriously. And I agree that substantiated allegations should carry much greater consequences than signing autographs. But I think we have to be careful. I don't know how much proof there was in Winston's situation.

There hasn't been any proof that Gurley got paid for his autographs yet.

I don't think college campuses take rape allegations against athletes seriously at all. Victim shaming is inbred into the system.

There hasn't been any proof that Gurley got paid for his autographs yet.

I don't think college campuses take rape allegations against athletes seriously at all. Victim shaming is inbred into the system.

What did Duke fail to do, in your opinion, besides ruin the lives of four completely innocent men?

I should add quickly, Gurley probably did get paid and he should be suspended. I just find it interesting how seriously NCAA takes this issue and how dismissive it is of sexual abuse especially considering 1 in 5 women on a college campus will get abused.

What did Duke fail to do, in your opinion, besides ruin the lives of four completely innocent men?

This is the problem with the entire issue. 1 case of lying propagates the idea that most women lie about these encounters.

I should add quickly, Gurley probably did get paid and he should be suspended. I just find it interesting how seriously NCAA takes this issue and how dismissive it is of sexual abuse especially considering 1 in 5 women on a college campus will get abused.

Gurley probably did get paid and so did Manziel. So Gurley should sit out half a game against Rice.

I don't know that the NCAA is dismissive of sexual abuse, but I also don't know that it takes it seriously enough.

All that said, it's got to be more than just a she said / he said.

As for Duke in particular I think they should have suspended the players pending the investigation. I think in Duke's case they didn't handle the press properly and it spiraled.

Gurley probably did get paid and so did Manziel. So Gurley should sit out half a game against Rice.

I don't know that the NCAA is dismissive of sexual abuse, but I also don't know that it takes it seriously enough.

All that said, it's got to be more than just a she said / he said.

Agreed. I will say in the Winston case they had a rape kit done that night but also had two "witnesses" swear he didn't do it. The truth will never be known but something happened that wasn't legit.

I have to go but I think it is something interesting to consider going forward, especially with how the NFL treats women. Not to sounds paranoid but I think the college to NFL football culture tends to treat women as objects. Just some thoughts, I'll read what other ppl post tomorrow.

This is the problem with the entire issue. 1 case of lying propagates the idea that most women lie about these encounters.

Hold up there. Not at all what I am saying.

Sexual violence by players does not carry NCAA sanctions. Players taking payments does. The discrepancy is completely explained by those two sentences.

Duke didn't ruin anyone's life. I know the wife of one of the players accused. His college sports season was ruined, certainly not his life.