The other sports thread

Eleven

Assuming everyone wins out, if Alabama got in over an undefeated team that would be an outrage of monumental proportions.

Isn't an "outrage of monumental proportions" the very definition of BCS.. Aren't we locked into the same what if arguments every year?

Touche sir. I will say that we are two years away from a 4 game playoff. That's a start at least.

Wait, what? College is going to a play-off format? I like it, frankly. You could easily go with 4 or 8 teams and it wouldn't be a huge deal. There can be all those other bowls for fun, of course.

Wait, what? College is going to a play-off format? I like it, frankly. You could easily go with 4 or 8 teams and it wouldn't be a huge deal. There can be all those other bowls for fun, of course.

Sort of.. There will still be ranking controversies. But if you are in, you will play in elimination bowls culminating in a National Championship game.

It'll be better, but still ripe with controversy for the one-loss teams.

Sort of.. There will still be ranking controversies. But if you are in, you will play in elimination bowls culminating in a National Championship game.

It'll be better, but still ripe with controversy for the one-loss teams.

Exactly. But it is a gigantic step in the correct direction.

Hey, that almost makes the National Championship respectable! :) It's tough to imagine there's more than 3-4 teams each year that can legitimately claim to be the best in the nation, and this should sort them out.

The Blue Jays traded Yunel Escobar and prospects to Miami for Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, and Emilio Bonifacio.

As a Blue Jays fan, I am ecstatic. Buehrle really fills a hole at starting pitcher the Blue Jays have been needing. They are still going to win with offense, but the pitching quality just went sky high.

I just wonder how Marlins fans will react to the bait and switch that was pulled on them for the opening of that new stadium. They went crazy buying free agents last year and now every single one they signed is gone, as well as all of the other higher profile guys on the team. That whole organization really needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, world series titles and all.

I just wonder how Marlins fans will react to the bait and switch that was pulled on them for the opening of that new stadium. They went crazy buying free agents last year and now every single one they signed is gone, as well as all of the other higher profile guys on the team. That whole organization really needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, world series titles and all.

I agree. They got $360 million from the taxpayers for the new ballpark and they aren't even trying to field a competitive team. That's really, really crappy.

This move really isn't that different from the move the Red Sox made when they traded Gonzalez to the Dodgers, that was considered a great move by most. Which is ironic considering both teams won only 62 games last year.

If it isn't working than blow it up. The Marlins won 62 games with those players, I think they can achieve that level of success without them. As a Red Sox fan I want to see what they do this off-season, Marlins fans should feel the same way.

This move really isn't that different from the move the Red Sox made when they traded Gonzalez to the Dodgers, that was considered a great move by most. Which is ironic considering both teams won only 62 games last year.

If it isn't working than blow it up. The Marlins won 62 games with those players, I think they can achieve that level of success without them. As a Red Sox fan I want to see what they do this off-season, Marlins fans should feel the same way.

It's very different because that was a break from the normal for Boston. This kind of move is standard for the marlins and the fact that it comes so closely after opening the new park makes it look extra dubious.

And college football just got turned upside down. Wow.

With Barkley hurt the Fighting Irish should cruise to 12-0, the way the season has been going, who knows.

The two big upsets put Alabama right back in the driver's seat for a shot at the National Championship.

It's very different because that was a break from the normal for Boston. This kind of move is standard for the marlins and the fact that it comes so closely after opening the new park makes it look extra dubious.

I know it looks "dubious", IMO, baseball wise it was a good move.

SEC championship game will decide if Georgia or Alabama plays... Notre Dame (if they win out) for the BCS.

Im a huge tide fan, and when Oregon missed that OT kick last night I think I orgasmed a little. This is the shot that Alabama needed, if they can't muster up a huge victory against Georgia after a redeeming shot like this, then they don't deserve to be there. In my opinion I don't think ND had a tough schedule, other than beating Oklahoma(which was impressive) they almost choked several times to unranked teams at home and many other teams they played earlier in the year aren't even ranked. They haven't faced a defense as stout as an SEC team.

Im a huge tide fan, and when Oregon missed that OT kick last night I think I orgasmed a little. This is the shot that Alabama needed, if they can't muster up a huge victory against Georgia after a redeeming shot like this, then they don't deserve to be there. In my opinion I don't think ND had a tough schedule, other than beating Oklahoma(which was impressive) they almost choked several times to unranked teams at home and many other teams they played earlier in the year aren't even ranked. They haven't faced a defense as stout as an SEC team.

I'm pretty neutral on this, but if you're going to criticize schedules, your first look has to be at Alabama's. "Powerhouses" such as Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Ole Miss, and Western Carolina? Come on. ND doesn't have those weak spots. And Arkansas and Tennessee were weak this year, while Michigan (which was a common opponent) and Mizzou were hardly greats.

Alabama faced two tough teams this season, nearly lost to one, and did lose to the other.

Edited by Eleven

I'm pretty neutral on this, but if you're going to criticize schedules, your first look has to be at Alabama's. "Powerhouses" such as Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Ole Miss, and Western Carolina? Come on. ND doesn't have those weak spots. And Arkansas and Tennessee were weak this year, while Michigan and Mizzou were hardly greats.

Alabama faced two tough teams this season, nearly lost to one, and did lose to the other.

ND is 4-0 against "Top 20" teams and Alabama is 3-1 against "Top 20" teams. Both defenses are giving up 10.1 points a game. They are evenly matched, IMO.

It's a weird situation, IMO, Alabama can lose to Georgia in the SEC title game and still make the National Championship game if ND loses. Unless Alabama gets blown out by Georgia, I don't see Florida or Texas A&M jumping into the top twp spots.

I hope Ohio State goes 12-0 and can't play for the National Championship, it would be a appropriate punishment.

The Toronto Argos will basically have home field advantage for the 100th Grey Cup next Sunday.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/2012/11/big-play-argos-out-to-end-60-year-grey-cup-drought-at-home.html

Yeah, yeah. I know it's only the CFL, but the Grey Cup game is usually more exciting than the typical blow-out Super Bowl.

The Toronto Argos will basically have home field advantage for the 100th Grey Cup next Sunday.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ht-at-home.html

Yeah, yeah. I know it's only the CFL, but the Grey Cup game is usually more exciting than the typical blow-out Super Bowl.

I like CFL football. I don't knwo much about it, but I always find it intersting. The rule changes from the American game really increase the fun for me. I watch so many athletic NFL quarterbacks allow themselves to become second or third stringers when they could go to the CFL when they could be dominating in Canada. Oh well...money I suppose.

Interesting college football scenario: If Georgia Tech loses to Georgia this weekend, Georgia is favored by 13 at home, Tech will play Florida St in the ACC championship game with only 2 possible bowl outcomes. If they Beat Florida State, they will head to the BCS Orange Bowl, if they lose, they will be completely ineligible for a bowl game. Pretty steep drop from conference champion, to losing season.

Interesting college football scenario: If Georgia Tech loses to Georgia this weekend, Georgia is favored by 13 at home, Tech will play Florida St in the ACC championship game with only 2 possible bowl outcomes. If they Beat Florida State, they will head to the BCS Orange Bowl, if they lose, they will be completely ineligible for a bowl game. Pretty steep drop from conference champion, to losing season.

I think that about sums up why I both love and loathe college football.