The other sports thread

Eleven

What?

No one cares about Lance Armstong and his fall from grace?

Cue the chirping crickets ...

I wore a Livestrong yellow bracelet for years and years. Took it off and threw it away. I'm profoundly disappointed.

I'm not a Notre Dame homer. Never have been. I'm more of an old Big 8 guy, but that's disintegrated completely, now. (Thank you, four Texas teams that weren't needed or wanted.)

But someone tell me what Oregon and K-State have done to be ranked above ND. There's no rational explanation. After that incredible A&M-Bama game, ND, and not at least one of those two (especially Oregon, which plays overrated teams and other assorted Pac-12 crap), belongs in the top two. K-State at least has an argument; U of Nike does not. (Great coach, though.)

Edited by Eleven

I'm not a Notre Dame homer. Never have been. I'm more of an old Big 8 guy, but that's disintegrated completely, now. (Thank you, four Texas teams that weren't needed or wanted.)

But someone tell me what Oregon and K-State have done to be ranked above ND. There's no rational explanation. After that incredible A&M-Bama game, ND, and not at least one of those two (especially Oregon, which plays overrated teams and other assorted Pac-12 crap), belongs in the top two. K-State at least has an argument; U of Nike does not. (Great coach, though.)

All season, all the undefeated teams have been ranked by the human polls in the order of their preseason rankings. So the order for the undefeated teams is based not on anything they've done this year, but on what the coaches and writers thought about them before the season started.

I haven't paid attention to college football in years. Used to be a big fan. One thing that always PO'd my Irish family was my disdain for ND. About the only thing I root for, if you can call it that, is the demise of ND each year.

I haven't paid attention to college football in years. Used to be a big fan. One thing that always PO'd my Irish family was my disdain for ND. About the only thing I root for, if you can call it that, is the demise of ND each year.

If you want to see a thread get derailed faster than injecting religion into a politics thread... Keep spouting this ignorant non-sense! ;)

Sincerely,

LPF, ND '05

If you want to see a thread get derailed faster than injecting religion into a politics thread... Keep spouting this ignorant non-sense! ;)

Sincerely,

LPF, ND '05

Why is rooting against a particular football team "ignorant non-sense!"? Glad to see you went there. Someone had too...

Why is rooting against a particular football team "ignorant non-sense!"? Glad to see you went there. Someone had too...

mostly just wanted to give you a hard time. That just seemed like an appropriately ridiculous accusation. :)

Notre Dame is Notre Dame, not simply because of the millions that love her, Notre Dame is also Notre Dame because of the millions that hate her.

mostly just wanted to give you a hard time. That just seemed like an appropriately ridiculous accusation. :)

Notre Dame is Notre Dame, not simply because of the millions that love her, Notre Dame is also Notre Dame because of the millions that hate her.

My loyalties are all over the map

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Blue Jays

Atlanta Braves

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Florida State Seminoles

Georgetown Hoyas

I have no affiliation whatsoever with any of these colleges. I can't explain why I like who I like and why I hate who I hate. It's always been this way.

My loyalties are all over the map

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Blue Jays

Atlanta Braves

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Florida State Seminoles

Georgetown Hoyas

I have no affiliation whatsoever with any of these colleges. I can't explain why I like who I like and why I hate who I hate. It's always been this way.

Well, I'm guessing you live near DC, so Georgetown makes sense. I'm not sure of your age, but if you formed your sports allegiances between 1990 and 1995, The Blue Jays, Braves, Huskers, and Seminoles make perfect sense. As for the bills and Sabres, I'll guess your like everyone else here, we secretly hate ourselves and want to bring as much misery as possible into our lives.

This is 100% correct. Just so right.

ND has beaten three teams currently in the top 25, two of whom are in the in top 15. They are 10-0. They should at least be #2.

Well, I'm guessing you live near DC, so Georgetown makes sense. I'm not sure of your age, but if you formed your sports allegiances between 1990 and 1995, The Blue Jays, Braves, Huskers, and Seminoles make perfect sense. As for the bills and Sabres, I'll guess your like everyone else here, we secretly hate ourselves and want to bring as much misery as possible into our lives.

Ummm 1975-1980....

Liked Georgetown well before I could spell DC or ever thought to move here. Big East battles before they destroyed the college basketball conference were epic.. Loved the Big Eight battles between NU and OU every year. Bobby Bowden.. Just loved his play calling... Blue Jays obvious.. Braves during college when they had all that pitching and couldn't win. Sabres and Bills, birth mark..

Ummm 1975-1980....

Liked Georgetown well before I could spell DC or ever thought to move here. Big East battles before they destroyed the college basketball conference were epic.. Loved the Big Eight battles between NU and OU every year. Bobby Bowden.. Just loved his play calling... Blue Jays obvious.. Braves during college when they had all that pitching and couldn't win. Sabres and Bills, birth mark..

In that case, you are indeed "all over the map" :)

So I think if Bama wins out they will still play in the BCS championship game provided they Beat Georgia in the SEC championship game. On a side note I get to go to the Georgia Southern v Georgia game this weekend and as I look out my window at Sanford stadium, I gotta say I am pretty stoked.

ps: how do I insert a photo from my desktop?

Edited by LGR4GM

So I think if Bama wins out they will still play in the BCS championship game provided they Beat Georgia in the SEC championship game. On a side note I get to go to the Georgia Southern v Georgia game this weekend and as I look out my window at Sanford stadium, I gotta say I am pretty stoked.

Not if K-State, Oregon, and/or Notre Dame are still undefeated. At 12-0 (13-0 for Oregon), all will have a better case than a 12-1 Alabama team. Let's look at the resumes if all these things happen:

1. Kansas State will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Texas

2. Oregon will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Stanford, Oregon State, and USC/UCLA.

3. ND will have victories against four current Top 25 teams: Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford, USC

4. Alabama will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Michigan, LSU, Georgia/Florida

Assuming everyone wins out, if Alabama got in over an undefeated team that would be an outrage of monumental proportions.

Edited by gohansrage

Not if K-State, Oregon, and/or Notre Dame are still undefeated. At 12-0 (13-0 for Oregon), all will have a better case than a 12-1 Alabama team. Let's look at the resumes if all these things happen:

1. Kansas State will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Texas

2. Oregon will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Stanford, Oregon State, and USC/UCLA.

3. ND will have victories against four current Top 25 teams: Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford, USC

4. Alabama will have victories against three current Top 25 teams: Michigan, LSU, Georgia/Florida

Assuming everyone wins out, if Alabama got in over an undefeated team that would be an outrage of monumental proportions.

I don't think everyone else wins out. ND is a long shot IMO considering they almost lost to Pitt. I think K-State and Oregon is def possible. Also Alabama losing to (a #8 now) Texas A+M will be different in voting (again IMO). I am just saying I think Alabama still has a shot whether the others drop a game or not.

Point of clarification. Bama won't beat Florida/Georgia. They will either beat Georgia or not. Florida was eliminated from the SEC champ game when the Dawgs beat Auburn.

the next question is if 2 of the 3 lose a game before the end and then Georgia beats Alabama do they then play for the BCS Championship?

Edited by LGR4GM

Hey there LGR4GM you've been in our lovely state how long? Full on 'Dawg supporter already? ? for you son did you hurt yourself hoppin on the bandwagon?

I can see Stanford stadium from my office window... actually I might be able to toss a football and hit it from here.

I was in Columbia for the loss. I have seen every game this season. I will not root for a different college team (other than UB, whom I did root for when they played Georgia) even if they suck next year. And I work for UGA so it was inevitable. I will admit I payed a lot less attention to college football prior to my move.

As for your question, they actually very kindly helped me up onto the bandwagon, ppl are quite nice around here. ;)

Edited by LGR4GM

We are nice here in the south arent we.... I have been many places and when away I always pine for my GA home. Although on the 24th I'll hate your sorry bulldog ass ,,,,,, GT alum

Hehe sorry. GT will prob lose unless Richt decides to save the starters for the SEC Champ game.

"more reply options"

can't do it through fast reply

thanks!

post-2716-0-56649400-1352745472_thumb.jpg

I don't think everyone else wins out. ND is a long shot IMO considering they almost lost to Pitt. I think K-State and Oregon is def possible. Also Alabama losing to (a #8 now) Texas A+M will be different in voting (again IMO). I am just saying I think Alabama still has a shot whether the others drop a game or not.

I don't think they are a long shot at all. Wake Forest is very beatable. I'd go as far as to say they cannot beat ND unless ND decides to give them the game (like they almost did to Pitt). That leaves USC. The Trojans have a great offense, but the ND defense has shut down Oklahoma and Stanford. Both of those teams have offenses that are as efficient as SC's (USC is averaging 42 points per game. OU is averaging 42 not including the ND game, Stanford is averaging 30 not including the ND game.). Really that game will be determined by ND's offense versus USC's defense--a matchup that favors ND.

USC can defintely beat ND, but in no way is ND a long shot to go undefeated.

Point of clarification. Bama won't beat Florida/Georgia. They will either beat Georgia or not. Florida was eliminated from the SEC champ game when the Dawgs beat Auburn.

Thanks. I didn't realize Florida was officially eliminated from the SEC title game.

the next question is if 2 of the 3 lose a game before the end and then Georgia beats Alabama do they then play for the BCS Championship?

Yes. A 12-1 Georgia team definetly gets in the title game over a 11-1 K State team or a 11-1 ND team. I'm pretty sure they would get in over a 12-1 Oregon team, but if Oregon's only loss is a one point loss in the Pac-12 title game it could be close (In my opinion, with all else equal, you put a Conference winner in over a Conference runner up every time).

Edited by gohansrage

Thanks. I didn't realize Florida was officially eliminated from the SEC title game.

Yes. A 12-1 Georgia team definetly gets in the title game over a 11-1 K State team or a 11-1 ND team. I'm pretty sure they would get in over a 12-1 Oregon team, but if Oregon's only loss is a one point loss in the Pac-12 title game it could be close (In my opinion, with all else equal, you put a Conference winner in over a Conference runner up every time).

Yea because Georgia is 7-1 in the SEC and so is Flordia but Florida lost to Georgia. Since there are no more SEC games for either team left, it is all over.

It will be interesting to see how the final few weeks go and hopefully it will be very interesting. Anything is Possible but I think it will be K-State V. Oregon in the finals.