The other sports thread

Eleven

Ok, all I know is that the catcher has to leave a path to home plate, which he obviously did on this play.  Sounds like the rule and whatever punishment should have been enforced.  

But, just like other leagues, MLB doesn't always enforce their own rules, except maybe in hindsight, so I'm not surprised.

I honestly thing the non-enforcement of this rule is kind of like the non-enforcement of tagging second base on a DP (neighborhood play); it's considered part of the game.  I think it's tacitly accepted that runners will try to break up DPs and will alter their paths to do so.  I feel badly that your SS was injured but I don't think that play was extraordinary in any way.

I honestly thing the non-enforcement of this rule is kind of like the non-enforcement of tagging second base on a DP (neighborhood play); it's considered part of the game.  I think it's tacitly accepted that runners will try to break up DPs and will alter their paths to do so.  I feel badly that your SS was injured but I don't think that play was extraordinary in any way.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  Slides don't start after the bag much if ever.  Baseball admitted their mistake with the suspension.  Hindsight.  Unfortunately we have a game 5 that we probably wouldn't have been needed otherwise.

The opinions of other players and writers who cover thousands of games also disagree with you.  

It was extraordinarily dirty.  That's one way that play was extraordinary.  

And no offense, but your open hatred of the Mets blinds your view as much as my view is blinded by my being a Mets fan.  The outside evidence is on my side, however.

Jays Win!  :w00t:

That 7th inning was the full spectrum of emotions crammed into one hour long moment. The feeling of both the highs (and the lows) are why sports are so appealing to me. Even though it was the correct call, I would have hated to have the Martin throwing error decide such a close game.

I would hate to be Elvis Andrus this morning. That was close to Buckner level stuff last night. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  Slides don't start after the bag much if ever.  Baseball admitted their mistake with the suspension.  Hindsight.  Unfortunately we have a game 5 that we probably wouldn't have been needed otherwise.

The opinions of other players and writers who cover thousands of games also disagree with you.  

It was extraordinarily dirty.  That's one way that play was extraordinary.  

And no offense, but your open hatred of the Mets blinds your view as much as my view is blinded by my being a Mets fan.  The outside evidence is on my side, however.

I hate the Dodgers, too.  Maybe more than the Mets.  I remember 1981.

I don't think there would be any outcry from anyone, or any suspension, if not for the injury.  No writer, player, etc. would be calling the play dirty.  It was routine.

Please look at the play in the Toronto game and tell me how it's different, other than the fact that the catcher's leg wasn't broken.

Edited by eleven

I hate the Dodgers, too.  Maybe more than the Mets.  I remember 1981.

I don't think there would be any outcry from anyone, or any suspension, if not for the injury.  No writer, player, etc. would be calling the play dirty.  It was routine.

Please look at the play in the Toronto game and tell me how it's different, other than the fact that the catcher's leg wasn't broken.

I haven't seen the video and can't find one anywhere, but it seems that they're not different based on the still shots I've seen.  There are rules on the books for both plays that baseball should have enforced but did not.  That's my argument.  Not the aftermath.  

And for 's sake the play was not routine.  If it was routine there would have been no injury, no outcry, and no suspension.

MLB, like every other sports league, declined to enforce their own rules to the detriment of a team and the entire sport.

I guess I just don't get it. I can't fathom taking an infant to a sporting event. It just seems inappropriate. I could see if the child is old enough to enjoy it, but when they don't even know what is going on is there even a point?

Having the story, perhaps? It's still first hand even if you don't remember it, right? If something legendary had happened, that person would always be able to say that they were there.

Believe it or not, once or twice a year you get to do something you want when you have an infant. :) Let's put it this way, if your choice is Sabres playoff game with an infant or stay home, what are you going to do? I know I'm taking RosePie, even if the night is a disaster. Sometimes you have to gamble that things will go well and everyone comes out happy.

Believe it or not, once or twice a year you get to do something you want when you have an infant. :) Let's put it this way, if your choice is Sabres playoff game with an infant or stay home, what are you going to do? I know I'm taking RosePie, even if the night is a disaster. Sometimes you have to gamble that things will go well and everyone comes out happy.

Man, I don't know. I think I'm leaving the kid with the grandparents if I want to go do something like that. Or I'm staying home and enjoying it from my couch. It just seems like a logistical nightmare and something that is unfair to other fans. No one wants to be at a hockey game around me and my infant child. 

I know we've discussed this before here, but I still see sporting events, especially at the pro level, as adult level entertainment. That's not to say kids shouldn't be welcome in some capacity, but I think a lot of people here went to sporting events with their dads back in the less "family friendly" days of sports and it really wasn't a problem. You just had to be "of an age". 

I haven't seen the video and can't find one anywhere, but it seems that they're not different based on the still shots I've seen.  There are rules on the books for both plays that baseball should have enforced but did not.  That's my argument.  Not the aftermath.  

And for ###### 's sake the play was not routine.  If it was routine there would have been no injury, no outcry, and no suspension.

MLB, like every other sports league, declined to enforce their own rules to the detriment of a team and the entire sport.

It's in the second video in the link I posted above.  It's about halfway through.

Man, I don't know. I think I'm leaving the kid with the grandparents if I want to go do something like that. Or I'm staying home and enjoying it from my couch. It just seems like a logistical nightmare and something that is unfair to other fans. No one wants to be at a hockey game around me and my infant child. 

I know we've discussed this before here, but I still see sporting events, especially at the pro level, as adult level entertainment. That's not to say kids shouldn't be welcome in some capacity, but I think a lot of people here went to sporting events with their dads back in the less "family friendly" days of sports and it really wasn't a problem. You just had to be "of an age". 

There were two infants about five seats away from me on Monday.  Neither was as much trouble as the two four-year-olds in front of me.

As for your second point, I totally agree.  It's like a rock concert.  Feel free to bring your kids, but this is a place for grownups to blow off steam.  So don't expect me not to curse when the Sabres get scored on or something.

Edited by eleven

Without those errors he doesn't get up until the next inning with bases empty.  Even if he crushes it, the game is only tied.

That's assuming the Rangers should've been awarded the run when the ball caromed off the batter's hand/bat in the first place.

It's in the second video in the link I posted above.  It's about halfway through.

As I've said they were both illegal plays under MLB rules and should have been ruled so accordingly.  The rules say that the runner is automatically out when he goes out of his way to make contact with the catcher.  He was already out, so not that big of a deal.  Perhaps the double play should have been granted; however that part does not seem to be covered by the rules I've read.  Unless that is covered by the regular interference rules, in which case the batter should have been called out as well.

The Utley play was obvious and intentional interference as defined in the rule book.  The rule book states that he and the batter should have been called out.  MLB can correct the call after the game, which they did, but it really needs to be called on the field when it matters or the rule is useless.

As I've said they were both illegal plays under MLB rules and should have been ruled so accordingly.  The rules say that the runner is automatically out when he goes out of his way to make contact with the catcher.  He was already out, so not that big of a deal.  Perhaps the double play should have been granted; however that part does not seem to be covered by the rules I've read.  Unless that is covered by the regular interference rules, in which case the batter should have been called out as well.

The Utley play was obvious and intentional interference as defined in the rule book.  The rule book states that he and the batter should have been called out.  MLB can correct the call after the game, which they did, but it really needs to be called on the field when it matters or the rule is useless.

I know both plays violated the written rules; my point is that those rules are so seldom enforced that they may as well be off the books.  

I know you're upset about this and I don't blame you one bit.  I've seen my teams screwed by such stuff, too.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this.  I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

If it makes you feel better:  May Wilmer Flores hit four home runs tonight.

I know both plays violated the written rules; my point is that those rules are so seldom enforced that they may as well be off the books.  

I know you're upset about this and I don't blame you one bit.  I've seen my teams screwed by such stuff, too.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this.  I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

If it makes you feel better:  May Wilmer Flores hit four home runs tonight.

We're not that far off, and I see your point.  I just wish MLB, and sports leagues in general, enforced (not ignored) the rules on the books as circumstances dictate instead of screwing everything up, making things worse, and undermining their integrity. Then we get the public relations spin afterwards.  :wallbash:

I would like to be confident about the Mets chances, but I've seen this story many times before and I'm afraid that I already know the ending.  I'll likely just have add it to the "disappointment and screw-job" list; also known as being a Bills-Sabres-Mets fan.

We're not that far off, and I see your point.  I just wish MLB, and sports leagues in general, enforced (not ignored) the rules on the books as circumstances dictate instead of screwing everything up, making things worse, and undermining their integrity. Then we get the public relations spin afterwards.  :wallbash:

I would like to be confident about the Mets chances, but I've seen this story many times before and I'm afraid that I already know the ending.  I'll likely just have add it to the "disappointment and screw-job" list; also known as being a Bills-Sabres-Mets fan.

As a Bills-Sabres-Jays fan, I thought I was seeing another addition to my personal "disappointment and screw-job" list in the top of the 7th in last nights game. Luckily the round ball bounced my way to change the outcome.