The other sports thread

Eleven

You all don't need to worry about who makes it in, or not.

Really, does anyone think the Blue Jays are beatable in the AL?

Very strong pitching ... starters and relievers ... and a starting lineup that can out score anybody.

Unless something really goes wrong I see a Jays - Cardinals (maybe Dodgers) World Series in the near future.

It wasn't a shot at the Rangers, or any other team.

Realistically though, the Blue Jays are the best team in the AL.  In fact, they are the team with the best record, as of now.

:thumbsup: :beer:

Clinched the AL East and soon to be clinched the AL Pennant. It's down to Jays and Royals.

I feel like Randy Quaid in Major League 2, right now

I've seen it, but I don't remember it. Only remember the first one.

I know we aren't going far, but I'll root like hell to beat the Blue Jays. I'm a fan of two small town teams that are the good guys and have never won anything. It's fun to be a fan of the big bad wolf sometimes

I know we aren't going far, but I'll root like hell to beat the Blue Jays. I'm a fan of two small town teams that are the good guys and have never won anything. It's fun to be a fan of the big bad wolf sometimes

I was 11 in 96. The Yankees got rocked in games 1 and 2 of the WS against Atlanta. I was crushed after game 2. I had just finished watching the Bills lose 4 super bowls and now my Yankees were not only going to lose the WS, they would probably get swept.

That is far and away my favorite sports championship ever. Better than 98, better than Cuse in 03. We'll see of the Sabres can replace that feeling one day.

I was 11 in 96. The Yankees got rocked in games 1 and 2 of the WS against Atlanta. I was crushed after game 2. I had just finished watching the Bills lose 4 super bowls and now my Yankees were not only going to lose the WS, they would probably get swept.

That is far and away my favorite sports championship ever. Better than 98, better than Cuse in 03. We'll see of the Sabres can replace that feeling one day.

That's actually a pretty awesome story, I can just imagine how crushed you were when you thought you'd see another team lose it, especially at 11. I remember my world ending when the Sabres lost in 2007 ECFs, I was 13. 

The Yankees in 2009 are the only team I've ever watched of mine win a championship. I didn't really watch baseball until about 2004, chose a really ###### year to do that. I remember winning the WS, and just watching every single highlight all day and night. Reading every newspaper, ever article, anything I could to relish in that. It was sweet, but a few years later I realized everyone just treated it like another Yankee's title; it was the norm, and therefore it wasn't nearly as special as I thought it was. That's what makes me so damn excited to see a Buffalo championship. There won't be any feeling in the world like that

Edited by WildCard

I was actually a baseball fan back then...and the Braves were my team. I hate you.

That's actually a pretty awesome story, I can just imagine how crushed you were when you thought you'd see another team lose it, especially at 11. I remember my world ending when the Sabres lost in 2007 ECFs, I was 13. 

The Yankees in 2009 are the only team I've ever watched of mine win a championship. I didn't really watch baseball until about 2004, chose a really ###### year to do that. I remember winning the WS, and just watching every single highlight all day and night. Reading every newspaper, ever article, anything I could to relish in that. It was sweet, but a few years later I realized everyone just treated it like another Yankee's title; it was the norm, and therefore it wasn't nearly as special as I thought it was. That's what makes me so damn excited to see a Buffalo championship. There won't be any feeling in the world like that

The Blue Jays haven't been in the playoffs in nearly 20 years, and as a Jays/Bills/Sabres fan, you can understand my excitement in finally having someone to root for in the playoffs. I've never seen any of my teams win a championship and it is very rare that I even get to see playoff/postseason action. all you damn Yankees fans don't know what it's like to be a fan of team that just assumes they will be in the playoffs on an annual basis.

Not only did the Jays beat the Yankees to win the division, they also may just win the whole freakin AL title. I'm pumped. 

The Blue Jays haven't been in the playoffs in nearly 20 years, and as a Jays/Bills/Sabres fan, you can understand my excitement in finally having someone to root for in the playoffs. I've never seen any of my teams win a championship and it is very rare that I even get to see playoff/postseason action. all you damn Yankees fans don't know what it's like to be a fan of team that just assumes they will be in the playoffs on an annual basis.

Not only did the Jays beat the Yankees to win the division, they also may just win the whole freakin AL title. I'm pumped. 

Oh, I know that feeling as a Buffalo fan. I get your excitement, my buddy is a huge Jays fan. It's not going to change the fact that I will laugh when they lose in the ALCS or WS 

I was fully behind Gibbons resting his starters in that second game of that double header after the Jays clinched the division in the first game.

I was livid when he rested them the next day, but thought they were two games ahead of the Royals and the Royals were sputtering.

Now it looks like the Jays will play Texas in the Divisional Series (best of 5).  Would it not be better to play the Wildcard winner, would it not be better to, if it comes down to it, play game 7 of the ALCS and WS at home.

If that second day of rest comes back to bite the Jays on the ass, I will not be impressed.  It's been over 20 years since the Jays were even close to the post-season, so I am enjoying it.

#firegibbonsnow

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The Mets :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

At least it doesn't appear that I'm going to have to clear a bunch of time to watch the MLB playoffs.  At least they choked after clinching this time!

I'm pinning my hopes on this WSJ article dispelling, somewhat, the connection between end of season form and success in the playoffs.  A few days off, the knoweldge that the Dodgers take playoff choking to the level of performance art, and a good start by DeGrom in game one and we'll all feel better about it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-important-is-playoff-momentum-to-a-teams-worldseries-hopes-1443222139

Also, there's a connnected article pointing out that teams with home field advantage actually have losing records in the Division Series and League Championship Series for both leagues over the past 20 years.  As home field for the World Series is settled in the dumbest and most arbitrary way possible, no point in worrying about it. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dispelling-the-myth-of-home-field-advantage-in-baseball-1443825563

Oh, I know that feeling as a Buffalo fan. I get your excitement, my buddy is a huge Jays fan. It's not going to change the fact that I will laugh when they lose in the ALCS or WS 

Toronto is going to win it all.

Anybody check on LGR?

#alabamageorgia

I believe the entire state of Georgia was destroyed yesterday.

I'm pinning my hopes on this WSJ article dispelling, somewhat, the connection between end of season form and success in the playoffs.  A few days off, the knoweldge that the Dodgers take playoff choking to the level of performance art, and a good start by DeGrom in game one and we'll all feel better about it.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-important-is-playoff-momentum-to-a-teams-worldseries-hopes-1443222139

Also, there's a connnected article pointing out that teams with home field advantage actually have losing records in the Division Series and League Championship Series for both leagues over the past 20 years.  As home field for the World Series is settled in the dumbest and most arbitrary way possible, no point in worrying about it. 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dispelling-the-myth-of-home-field-advantage-in-baseball-1443825563

It's dumb, sure, but it's not arbitrary.

Sure, I'll be as hopeful as I can, but Dodgers home record this year? 54-26  Road? 37-44  Losing a two game lead with the tiebreaker with 6 to play could end up being a monumental up.

In a totally unrelated vein, I've commented in the past that I like the Dallas Stars broadcast duo of Ralph Strangis and Daryl "Razor" Reaugh.  Strangis decided to leave at the end of last season which was kind of a bummer; he calls a good game.  His replacement, though, is Dave Strader, who I saw regularly in Detroit when he called the Red Wings games when we were there in the 1990s.  He calls a good game, and should serve as a great straight man to Razor's goofiness.

Honestly, I'm not really a fan of the Stars much, if at all.  But I like their broadcasters.