Sabres HARBORcenter updates

sabills

The picture that is looking at downtown (toward the Northwest) from what it says will be the hotel lobby...if there was ever one SINGLE picture to justify getting rid of the Skyway, this is it.

Agree totally. The Skyway gives eyesores a bad name.

I hate the 190 more (i know I said "the"). Hey, let's separate the city from it's own waterfront.

Robert Moses should be hung in effigy, even though he's been deceased for a long time, because of the travesty known at the 190. Billions of dollars in prime waterfront property wasted.

I think the 198 is here to stay. It would be way too much work to remove it.

The 190 and the Kensington are my two big hates. Give me the Humboldt Parkway back please.

Wasn't the original plan for the Humboldt Parkway stretch of the Kensington to be underground? They should have done that. Screw it, let's bury it now!

I will kill anyone who tries to take my 198 away from me.

So, more Angry 11 posts? I'm in. PARK-WAY! PARK-WAY! PARK-WAY!

Robert Moses should be hung in effigy, even though he's been deceased for a long time, because of the travesty known at the 190. Billions of dollars in prime waterfront property wasted.

Wasn't the original plan for the Humboldt Parkway stretch of the Kensington to be underground? They should have done that. Screw it, let's bury it now!

We could easily dedicate an entire thread to the botched development decisions in and around the city.

I will kill anyone who tries to take my 198 away from me.

Its going to be downgraded, the question is how much. Current proposal from the DOT is for a 40 mph parkway, but people are pushing for slower. Nothings guaranteed ever in this city, but its heading in that direction. Sorry, eleven.

http://buffalorising...ph-city-street/

http://buffalorising...-and-remove-it/

Edited by sabills

Either make it a tunnel or downgrade it starting at Delevan. You can keep some of it, but the parkway should be restored. With the 290 going north around the city and the 190/90 covering South and West, the Kensington and Scajaqueda don't need to be expressways anymore.

Its going to be downgraded, the question is how much. Current proposal from the DOT is for a 40 mph parkway, but people are pushing for slower. Nothings guaranteed ever in this city, but its heading in that direction. Sorry, eleven.

http://buffalorising...ph-city-street/

http://buffalorising...-and-remove-it/

Believe me, I want it. But this is a bigger undertaking than anything we've done yet.

Either make it a tunnel or downgrade it starting at Delevan. You can keep some of it, but the parkway should be restored. With the 290 going north around the city and the 190/90 covering South and West, the Kensington and Scajaqueda don't need to be expressways anymore.

Kensington and 198 are cross-town expressways and they are vital.

They're not. Maybe in the 50s they were, but they hardly see enough volume to justify their capacity.

You couldn't be more wrong. The 198 handles 60,000 cars/day alone. Downgrading it to 30mph would be a huge mistake and would adversely impact the tourist destinations and colleges in the area who depend on efficient traffic flow for their users.

They're not. Maybe in the 50s they were, but they hardly see enough volume to justify their capacity.

I don't think 130,00 cars a day is anything to laugh at. And those two weren't even state routes until the early '60's

You couldn't be more wrong. The 198 handles 60,000 cars/day alone. Downgrading it to 30mph would be a huge mistake and would adversely impact the tourist destinations and colleges in the area who depend on efficient traffic flow for their users.

What they said. Both routes are near congestion during rush hours. If you take them away, and everyone is using regular streets, traffic will become a nightmare. Kind of like downtown Washington, where there is no East-West crosstown expressway, and the North-South one is of limited utility. And the city of Washington, itself, has a population similar to that within the bounds of 90/290/190.

What they said. Both routes are near congestion during rush hours. If you take them away, and everyone is using regular streets, traffic will become a nightmare. Kind of like downtown Washington, where there is no East-West crosstown expressway, and the North-South one is of limited utility. And the city of Washington, itself, has a population similar to that within the bounds of 90/290/190.

Agreed. And we don't exactly have the greatest public transportation in the world to attempt to compensate, either.

Well at least Buffalo has a commuter train to downtown, at least they did 10 years ago. Rochester has jack-######. And their 'express' bus-route from the airport to downtown, the last time I rode it, takes you right through some of the most high-crime rate sections the city with frequent stops. The one and only time I rode it - I thought, what GREAT PR for tourists arriving by plane and staying in one of the downtown hotels. LOL

Edited by Jsixspd

Agreed. And we don't exactly have the greatest public transportation in the world to attempt to compensate, either.

People will adapt. You take away the expressways and it will force people and the city to invest in alternate transport. It's good in the long run but people hate change.

People will adapt. You take away the expressways and it will force people and the city to invest in alternate transport. It's good in the long run but people hate change.

How much money do you think we have to spend? And why are we fixing something that doesn't need fixing? Most people here have no problem with 33 or 198. It's the Skyway that everyone wants to take down.

Edited by Eleven

How much money do you think we have to spend? And why are we fixing something that doesn't need fixing? Most people here have no problem with 33 or 198. It's the Skyway that everyone wants to take down.

You fix these things because they're a disgrace to the history of the city. Who cares how much it costs, it's about the principle of the thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.