Jordan Staal

RazielSabre

Shocking. The crew that created and perpetuated the legend of hordes of baby eating, beer swilling (well they got that part right), pillaging Sabres fans aren't happy with getting Jordan Staal for essentially 3 prospects. Never would have seen that one coming. :rolleyes:

The ones I spoke to are knowledgeable hockey fans though, they're just team swapping whores who used to root for some other team. I personally agree with them that the Canes gave up far too much for a player they would have got next year in FA anyway. As a Sabres fan I love that they made the trade because if the Canes stay at 8 one of he forwards that slipped almost certainly goes to them.

The ones I spoke to are knowledgeable hockey fans though, they're just team swapping whores who used to root for some other team. I personally agree with them that the Canes gave up far too much for a player they would have got next year in FA anyway. As a Sabres fan I love that they made the trade because if the Canes stay at 8 one of he forwards that slipped almost certainly goes to them.

Assuming Sid doesn't end up Cookie-Puss by the end of the season. Also assumes he didn't somehow end up at the trade deadline with Detroit or some other team that might end up being to his liking (hey, he wants to play with his brother, maybe he finds his way to the Strangers, dude has lots o' brothers; yeah, I know, the Pens would never trade him to the Strangers, but who's to say the Blue Jackets don't land him in part of a Nash trade and then THEY send him to the Strangers).

You have a chance, today, to get a player that's better (in all reasonable likelihood) than any of the ones you are giving up. You have to make that trade, especially when you know that you are one of the few teams that has an inside edge on him WANTING to be there.

If you really want a 3rd line center back, you can almost definitely pick one up at the trade deadline, or possibly even this weekend.

And as for your last sentence, I'm very happy that things fell the way they did. If Staal going to the Candy Canes was the last piece of the puzzle to get Grigs to drop, so be it. :thumbsup:

That's not the sentiment I've got from Canes fans I've spoken to or what I've read on their message boards. I've heard opinions anywhere from it was a bit too high of a price to pay to downright anger that Rutherford got fleeced.

There was some hysteria--on both sides--on the Kassian-Hodgson deal here, too. And this is a team with fans that know hockey, not 700 die-hards and then a bunch of fans who occasionally watch a game.

All trades take a little while to be judged.

Assuming Sid doesn't end up Cookie-Puss by the end of the season. Also assumes he didn't somehow end up at the trade deadline with Detroit or some other team that might end up being to his liking (hey, he wants to play with his brother, maybe he finds his way to the Strangers, dude has lots o' brothers; yeah, I know, the Pens would never trade him to the Strangers, but who's to say the Blue Jackets don't land him in part of a Nash trade and then THEY send him to the Strangers).

You have a chance, today, to get a player that's better (in all reasonable likelihood) than any of the ones you are giving up. You have to make that trade, especially when you know that you are one of the few teams that has an inside edge on him WANTING to be there.

If you really want a 3rd line center back, you can almost definitely pick one up at the trade deadline, or possibly even this weekend.

And as for your last sentence, I'm very happy that things fell the way they did. If Staal going to the Candy Canes was the last piece of the puzzle to get Grigs to drop, so be it. :thumbsup:

According to the TSN Draft coverage, the Rangers almost got him. They were right in the negotiations for him and were very close to getting him, it forced the Canes to up the deal to include the second prospect to sweeten the deal. It could have been really bad for the Canes if Staal went to the Rangers to play with his other brother cause I can see that eventually becoming the reason for Eric wanting out and making the Rangers teh front runner for him. This move keeps eric happy in Carolina, and may be the best advantage to eventually get their other brother from the Rangers.

Seems like teams are trying to reunite family members all over the league this year, c'mon Ottawa, lets help reunite one more and move Folingno to his brother and dads old team. I'd be willing to help bring a local boy back home to ottawa in the deal by making the swap for Roy.

According to the TSN Draft coverage, the Rangers almost got him. They were right in the negotiations for him and were very close to getting him, it forced the Canes to up the deal to include the second prospect to sweeten the deal. It could have been really bad for the Canes if Staal went to the Rangers to play with his other brother cause I can see that eventually becoming the reason for Eric wanting out and making the Rangers teh front runner for him. This move keeps eric happy in Carolina, and may be the best advantage to eventually get their other brother from the Rangers.

Seems like teams are trying to reunite family members all over the league this year, c'mon Ottawa, lets help reunite one more and move Folingno to his brother and dads old team. I'd be willing to help bring a local boy back home to ottawa in the deal by making the swap for Roy.

I'd make that trade as well. Then if Grigorenko is able to stay up with the Sabres this season I'd be pretty happy with our lineup.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville

Foligno (M) - Ennis - Stafford

Foligno (N) - Grigorenko - Leino

Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

Obviously we could use some other moves and upgrades, but outside of moving Stafford and Leino and picking up guys to upgrade the 4th line, I'd feel comfortable with that forward group. Once guys like Armia and Girgensons develop it will look even better.

I'd make that trade as well. Then if Grigorenko is able to stay up with the Sabres this season I'd be pretty happy with our lineup.

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville

Foligno (M) - Ennis - Stafford

Foligno (N) - Grigorenko - Leino

Obviously we could use some other moves and upgrades, but outside of moving Stafford and Leino and picking up guys to upgrade the 4th line, I'd feel comfortable with that forward group. Once guys like Armia and Girgensons develop it will look even better.

I would be fine with that team as you show it right now. A full offseason with vanek and Pommers working with Hodgson, and a full season of the FES line hopefully playing like they did at the end of last season will make a big difference. If the team can stay healthy (the biggest issue last season) then they have the ability to be a good team. Of course there will be some that will argue that the team has to lead the league in "Hits" in order to win.............

I would be fine with that team as you show it right now. A full offseason with vanek and Pommers working with Hodgson, and a full season of the FES line hopefully playing like they did at the end of last season will make a big difference. If the team can stay healthy (the biggest issue last season) then they have the ability to be a good team. Of course there will be some that will argue that the team has to lead the league in "Hits" in order to win.............

I'm as much of a proponent of increasing toughness and hits as anyone, but I think that lineup could produce. I doubt the Sabres will move Roy for a non-center but I anticipate him having a good (contract) year and Darcy being able to move him for more (1st round pick plus) as the next deadline approaches. Personally I'd prefer to grab Nick Foligno but much of that is probably just personal sentiment from watching his Dad play for us growing up and being wow'd by how well Marcus has played so far.

Nicks been good too with the Sens. I don't think with Hodgson and the emergence of Ennis as a Centre that theres a huge need for one other then maybe a better one on the 4th line and depth in case of injury? (improving on whats existing is always a plus, I'm just saying I'd be good with what you listed) This team doesn't need a complete overhaul like alot suggest. Injuries may have been viewed as just an excuse last season, but they were a huge part on why the team struggled last year. When healthy they were a very good team. My problem with Roy is do you put him as the #1 centre and bump Hodgson down to 3rd (assuming the FES line is the #2) or do you put Roy on the 3rd line and hope he plays well enough to get something more valuable then what you can get now? I'd prefer to see Hodgson with Vanek and Pomminstein so they can develop into a great line, instead of putting Roy there and taking him away when traded.

Nicks been good too with the Sens. I don't think with Hodgson and the emergence of Ennis as a Centre that theres a huge need for one other then maybe a better one on the 4th line and depth in case of injury? (improving on whats existing is always a plus, I'm just saying I'd be good with what you listed) This team doesn't need a complete overhaul like alot suggest. Injuries may have been viewed as just an excuse last season, but they were a huge part on why the team struggled last year. When healthy they were a very good team. My problem with Roy is do you put him as the #1 centre and bump Hodgson down to 3rd (assuming the FES line is the #2) or do you put Roy on the 3rd line and hope he plays well enough to get something more valuable then what you can get now? I'd prefer to see Hodgson with Vanek and Pomminstein so they can develop into a great line, instead of putting Roy there and taking him away when traded.

Prediction- If Roy is on the team to start the season AND the team looks like a playoff-bound team, Roy will be a Sabre at the end of the season. I cannot see the team moving Roy miid-season if they are in the playoff hunt.

Prediction- If Roy is on the team to start the season AND the team looks like a playoff-bound team, Roy will be a Sabre at the end of the season. I cannot see the team moving Roy miid-season if they are in the playoff hunt.

I think that's practically a statement of fact. If the Sabres are in playoff position and Roy is playing well (thus a part of it), I'd set the odds of Regier trading him at about .05%.

Yup. I might hate him, but he's a good hockey player. His poor playoff numbers leave a bit of a nagging doubt though.

Personally, I put Roy on the 3rd line and keep him away from Vanek, but I'm guessing Ruff puts Roy with Vanek and Pominville and breaks up the FES line to boot. He'll probably put Ennis back on the wing with Hodgson centering him and Stafford or something along those lines.

If Grigorenko makes the team this year I anticipate something like:

Vanek - Roy - Pominville

Ennis - Hodgson - Stafford

Foligno - Grigorenko - Leino

I definitely prefer the first lineup.

Personally, I put Roy on the 3rd line and keep him away from Vanek, but I'm guessing Ruff puts Roy with Vanek and Pominville and breaks up the FES line to boot. He'll probably put Ennis back on the wing with Hodgson centering him and Stafford or something along those lines.

If Grigorenko makes the team this year I anticipate something like:

Vanek - Roy - Pominville

Ennis - Hodgson - Stafford

Foligno - Grigorenko - Leino

I definitely prefer the first lineup.

Theres no way they break up the FES line and move Ennis away from Centre. I know ruff is hated by many around here and feel he is incompetent when it comes to lines and goalie rotations, but theres no way they break up that line. If Roy is still here to start the season, Grig is either in Rochester or the 4th line Centre. Darcy made mention of chemistry with players during the draft as a reason why he passed on a trade that many assumed included Stafford, No way they turn around and then break up the line and do away with the chemistry they had.

Theres no way they break up the FES line and move Ennis away from Centre. I know ruff is hated by many around here and feel he is incompetent when it comes to lines and goalie rotations, but theres no way they break up that line. If Roy is still here to start the season, Grig is either in Rochester or the 4th line Centre. Darcy made mention of chemistry with players during the draft as a reason why he passed on a trade that many assumed included Stafford, No way they turn around and then break up the line and do away with the chemistry they had.

You're assuming of course that thats precisely how they view the chemistry. Don't get me wrong, I'm the last one who wants to see the FES line broken up, but Darcy did say something along the lines of viewing chemistry in pairs... A line with Stafford and Ennis centered by Hodgson might fit what they're looking at along those lines. It's not that bad of a line either, I'd just prefer the FES line.

I don't want that line broken up either unless they trade Stafford for a reasonable return and I definitely prefer to see Ennis at the pivot, I'm just speculating. Given Ruff's preference for juggling the lines though I can see just about every combination of players being on the ice together. Sure the FES line ended the season on a tear but how many games in a row do you think Ruff would keep them together if they aren't scoring and the team is losing games? My guess is about a game and a half before he shakes things up while looking for the mystical spark. Sure he may put them back together but it's possible he goes in a different direction all together.

There is absolutely no way Grigorenko goes to Rochester this year.

I don't want that line broken up either unless they trade Stafford for a reasonable return and I definitely prefer to see Ennis at the pivot, I'm just speculating. Given Ruff's preference for juggling the lines though I can see just about every combination of players being on the ice together. Sure the FES line ended the season on a tear but how many games in a row do you think Ruff would keep them together if they aren't scoring and the team is losing games? My guess is about a game and a half before he shakes things up while looking for the mystical spark. Sure he may put them back together but it's possible he goes in a different direction all together.

Its possible if they show that the end of the last season was a fluke they are broken up soon, but I think Ennis is going to continue to play centre and that they found his position. I can't see them breaking up that line to put Hodgson there and move Ennis back to the wing so Roy could go back to being with Vanek and Pomminstein. Roy has shown that Pomminstein and vanek need him to succeed and he hasn't helped elevate their game.

thats true because he won't be old enough. its juniors or sabres.

My mistake, technicality, replace Rochester with Juniors. My point was that he would be in the minors.......

BTW, I thought Carolina made out extremely well in this trade. I also don't think the Sabres (or anyone else but Carolina) had a shot at him.

Pittsburgh bid a great job as well. They got a nice return and didn't let the situation fester. Staal made it clear he wanted to be elsewhere and the Pens made it happen pretty quickly.

Archived