Jordan Staal

RazielSabre

Pittsburgh bid a great job as well. They got a nice return and didn't let the situation fester. Staal made it clear he wanted to be elsewhere and the Pens made it happen pretty quickly.

Well, they certainly acted decisively, but they lost a thoroughbred and came away with a 3rd/4th liner who will never be a productive scorer, the #8 pick in a poorly regarded draft and a prospect. They didn't get anyone who will be nearly as good an NHL player this year or next year as the one they lost.

I don't know whether they could've suckered the Sabres or someone else into a richer deal, but if they didn't shop around much, they didn't give themselves the chance to find out.

Well, they certainly acted decisively, but they lost a thoroughbred and came away with a 3rd/4th liner who will never be a productive scorer, the #8 pick in a poorly regarded draft and a prospect. They didn't get anyone who will be nearly as good an NHL player this year or next year as the one they lost.

I don't know whether they could've suckered the Sabres or someone else into a richer deal, but if they didn't shop around much, they didn't give themselves the chance to find out.

Why risk letting the situation getting out of control. As good as Stall is, the Pens have Stanley Cup visions and avoided what could be a huge distraction. IMO, Staal made it clear to the Pens where he wanted to play and they made it happen. Did they take less in the process? More than likely. I thought it was a class move by the Pens.

Sutter is everything you want from a 3rd line center and more, and can step into a 2nd line role if needed. He was on the short list of players Gillis would have accepted in return for Hodgson at the deadline last year. Does Darcy pull the tigger on Hodgson, Pysyk and the 12th pick for Staal? Perhaps, but not without a Staal contract extension, and as you point out that was only happening with the Canes. The Canes get the win in the short run but Pitt is sitting pretty to win this deal in the years to come.

Sutter is everything you want from a 3rd line center and more, and can step into a 2nd line role if needed. He was on the short list of players Gillis would have accepted in return for Hodgson at the deadline last year. Does Darcy pull the tigger on Hodgson, Pysyk and the 12th pick for Staal? Perhaps, but not without a Staal contract extension, and as you point out that was only happening with the Canes. The Canes get the win in the short run but Pitt is sitting pretty to win this deal in the years to come.

The Pens walked away from the first round with two pretty good defensive prospects. Here is a Stanley Cup favorite walking away from the draft improving their team as much as any lower tier team.

The Pens walked away from the first round with two pretty good defensive prospects. Here is a Stanley Cup favorite walking away from the draft improving their team as much as any lower tier team.

A contender, I can agree with, but there's no way I can call Pittsburgh a Stanley Cup favorite after the way they played in the playoffs this year.

And Pitt is probably the only team in the league that can feel good about replacing Staal with Sutter since they are so deep at center. In he end it's a trade that works very well for both teams, which is how it should be.

A contender, I can agree with, but there's no way I can call Pittsburgh a Stanley Cup favorite after the way they played in the playoffs this year.

If Crosby is healthy there is no better team in the East, maybe in all of hockey.

And Pitt is probably the only team in the league that can feel good about replacing Staal with Sutter since they are so deep at center. In he end it's a trade that works very well for both teams, which is how it should be.

Sutter must be the most excited player in the NHL. This is an opportunity to take his career to the next level. Just look at what playing for the Pens did for James Neal.

Archived