Jordan Staal

RazielSabre

Don't flame me for this! I don't know much about him but I'm asking a question.

I don't see the big deal with Staal, I'm only readin his stat line but his numbers are average, he hasn't played a full season since 09-10 and in 25 goals he had 0 GWG so his hardly clutch. Sure his big and as I say puts up respectable but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I cant help but see a overhyped player.

Help?

I don't see the big deal with Staal, I'm only readin his stat line but his numbers are average, he hasn't played a full season since 09-10 and in 25 goals he had 0 GWG so his hardly clutch. Sure his big and as I say puts up respectable but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I cant help but see a overhyped player.

Help?

Staal is a player every team needs. He is a big center that can play physically and can also play all aspects of the game. He'll be out on the ice late in the game protecting a lead and also when you are down a goal. He'll be on the #1 PK & #1 PP. He is also only 23 years old and already played a great deal of hockey. The only concern is the injuries.

"TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports on Twitter that Staal has turned down a 10-year offer from the Penguins, indicating to the club that he doesn't plan on signing an extension now.

"He is not prepared to enter into a contract extension at this time," Staal's agent, Paul Krepelka, told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398922

If he's not going to sign an extension I wouldn't trade for him. No sense in giving up alot of assets to get a guy for one year. I think part of the reason he wants out, and part of the reason for his limited stats, is his role behind Crosby and Malkin.

Paul Hamilton was just on WGR and talked about Staal - he believes the reason he turned down the 10-year contract is that he was not getting enough ice time in Pittsburgh. You have Malkin and Crosby as the big two up front. Reasoning is that if Staal was with a team where he was on a #1 line (maybe #2), he would get more ice time and his stats would improve. Sounds reasonable. Hamilton pointed out that despite indications Staal would want to go to Carolina to be with his brother(s), the Sabres have Ted Black as team prez and with his Penguins history, we might have an "inside track". Nobody really knows until the deal(s) go down....

By the way, the fact that there is more activity about the draft on this board than there is actual draft/trade activity makes me wonder if any deals are imminent. It could turn out to be a quiet day.... :(

Paul Hamilton was just on WGR and talked about Staal - he believes the reason he turned down the 10-year contract is that he was not getting enough ice time in Pittsburgh. You have Malkin and Crosby as the big two up front. Reasoning is that if Staal was with a team where he was on a #1 line (maybe #2), he would get more ice time and his stats would improve. Sounds reasonable. Hamilton pointed out that despite indications Staal would want to go to Carolina to be with his brother(s), the Sabres have Ted Black as team prez and with his Penguins history, we might have an "inside track". Nobody really knows until the deal(s) go down....

By the way, the fact that there is more activity about the draft on this board than there is actual draft/trade activity makes me wonder if any deals are imminent. It could turn out to be a quiet day.... :(

I happen to agree with the bolded, although, I will say teams are probably waiting right up to the draft or close to it in an effort to maximize any bidding that may be going on. Just my thoughts on it is all.

He's also young enough that a 10 year contract would probably wind up costing him some money. He's basically looking at becoming the youngest free agent the league has ever seen. He will play through those entire 10 years. He can get 2 or 3 separate big contracts over those years.

I don't understand why he'd want to go to Carolina! Yes, I get it, his brother is there. I guess that'd be cool for him. However if he goes to the Canes he will NEVER be the number one center. Here's a guy who's played his whole career behind two of the best centers in the league and now with the chance to leave he doesn't want to be a number one???

C'mon, Jordan. Buffalo is the solution. You'll be our number one guy. Closer to Canada. We're better than the Canes! Do it.

Staal is a player every team needs. He is a big center that can play physically and can also play all aspects of the game. He'll be out on the ice late in the game protecting a lead and also when you are down a goal. He'll be on the #1 PK & #1 PP. He is also only 23 years old and already played a great deal of hockey. The only concern is the injuries.

Fair enuff, thanks for that. Either way the guy will probably get Parise type money I'd predict. Someone will overpay for him.

I don't understand why he'd want to go to Carolina! Yes, I get it, his brother is there. I guess that'd be cool for him. However if he goes to the Canes he will NEVER be the number one center. Here's a guy who's played his whole career behind two of the best centers in the league and now with the chance to leave he doesn't want to be a number one???

C'mon, Jordan. Buffalo is the solution. You'll be our number one guy. Closer to Canada. We're better than the Canes! Do it.

Maybe as an offseason signing if Hodgson, Ennis or whoever else don't work out but Darcy has already said no-one who is entering the final season of their contract.

Another reason Staal gets a little more hype than his scoring stats should suggest is because, according to the player usage charts, he routinely plays against very difficult on-ice competition, and he still excels. This is indicative of a great two-way player. The logical conclusion is that if he played on a team that gave him more opportunities in a offensive role and less of a shut-down role, his scoring stats could take off a little. Most people would agree that the kid's at least capable of being a stud #2, or an ok #1 if you play for Columbus. Of course, behind Malkin and Crosby, he'll always be #3.

He wants to play with his brother and get more ice time. His agent will get him there.

The guys on Versus (NBC Sports, whatever) said they expect the Canes to move Eric to be the wing on Jordan's line typically and that when they want to keep them separate, then Jordan falls to #2 pivot. For whatever that's worth.

Dude, where are you getting your info from?

He's played 82 games the last three out of four seasons and as a third line center has averaged 44 points a season. In the one season he only played 42 games he was on pace for 60 points. On any team other than PIT, he's a solid 1st or 2nd line center. Are you saying you'd rather have Roy than Staal? c'mon.

It's a big deal. A lot of teams had their eyes on him. I assumed BUF was looking too. CAR had the inside track and they nabbed him for what I think is a small price. A true third line center and two prospects? CAR got the better of this deal and will have no problem re-signing him next year.

Help?

Dude, where are you getting your info from?

He's played 82 games the last three out of four seasons and as a third line center has averaged 44 points a season. In the one season he only played 42 games he was on pace for 60 points. On any team other than PIT, he's a solid 1st or 2nd line center. Are you saying you'd rather have Roy than Staal? c'mon.

It's a big deal. A lot of teams had their eyes on him. I assumed BUF was looking too. CAR had the inside track and they nabbed him for what I think is a small price. A true third line center and two prospects? CAR got the better of this deal and will have no problem re-signing him next year.

Likely at below market rate.

That's not the sentiment I've got from Canes fans I've spoken to or what I've read on their message boards. I've heard opinions anywhere from it was a bit too high of a price to pay to downright anger that Rutherford got fleeced.

That's not the sentiment I've got from Canes fans I've spoken to or what I've read on their message boards. I've heard opinions anywhere from it was a bit too high of a price to pay to downright anger that Rutherford got fleeced.

Shocking. The crew that created and perpetuated the legend of hordes of baby eating, beer swilling (well they got that part right), pillaging Sabres fans aren't happy with getting Jordan Staal for essentially 3 prospects. Never would have seen that one coming. :rolleyes:

Lets see how it shakes out. Take away the (2) 1st line centers he had in front of him in Pit and put on the pressure to perform as a 1st or 2nd line center. My guess is he melts like Lieno butter. Was not the answer to Buffalo's needs. Agree he will be good for marketing in Carolina.

Shocking. The crew that created and perpetuated the legend of hordes of baby eating, beer swilling (well they got that part right), pillaging Sabres fans aren't happy with getting Jordan Staal for essentially 3 prospects. Never would have seen that one coming. :rolleyes:

They're just mad he has more teeth than everyone on the board combined.

Lookit all them chiclets!

Stanley+Cup+Practice+RRSPinlDbz9l.jpg

You're right. The locals are up in arms about it. However, it just speaks to the fact that we dont have the brightest fan base down here. Sutter was a fan-favorite. Folks liked him and for good reason. IMO, it's just plain dumb to think of this as anything other than a good deal for CAR. Sutter was a 3rd line center on a mediocre non-playoff team. He's a solid two-way player with good defensive skills. He'll fit fine with PIT on their 3rd line. Regardless of what you read, I go to every CAR home game and I can tell you that Sutter is not a game-changing player, but simply a role-player that can be replaced.

As far as the prospects are concerned, what else can you say but we'll see. They may turn out well, but they may not. This franchise is having some issues with public perception since they won the Cup. The owner wont spend, small-market, build from within, blah, blah. The bottom line is that folks needed to see something happen or else alot of season ticket holders were going to bail. Many already have. Trust me, CAR will gain way more ticket buyers because of Staal2 than lose because of Sutter leaving. Call it a PR move if you want, but they HAD to do it.

Archived