The WORST Thing About Missing Playoffs - No Evaluation

CallawaySabres

The one thing I am REALLY worried about is that if they miss the dance this year, there will be no proper evaluation on how THIS group can deal with playoff hockey. I don't care how well Stafford, Roy and others have played down the stretch, this group (including the young guys) will not get the experience of playing playoff hockey together until 2013.

Desperation and playing for their lives have been the reasons this team has turned it around. Yes, they have been healthy but they have been playing for their lives the past several weeks. What happens when THIS group has to play teams in a 7 game series when the opponent is playing for THEIR lives? What happens when the lax attitude of the first half of the season rears its' ugly head next season?

Maybe this team IS closer than people think but I really don't think we find out until another calendar year (unless they make the dance).

I really can't think of anything worse, honestly.....

Humiliation of having the highest payroll in the league and not even qualifying for the post season. Although I'd still rather have this predicament then some years past where ownership was too cheap to keep their own (ala Drury, Briere).

Humiliation of having the highest payroll in the league and not even qualifying for the post season. Although I'd still rather have this predicament then some years past where ownership was too cheap to keep their own (ala Drury, Briere).

I think most people know injuries played a pretty major role in this outcome. Now having a healthy lineup for the playoffs and getting smoked would be a lot more telling.

I don't know if I agree that we can't evaluate this team unless the make the playoffs. I think I have a pretty good idea of where this team is based on what we've seen this season.

Key Points:

-Good, young, talent makes this team better.

-Ennis is a star when he's healthy.

-Foligno could be the power forward we've been waiting for.

-When our D is injured, this team is not very good.

-Derek Roy needs to go.

-Miller needs to stay healthy for this team to win.

-Parting ways with Hecht and Boyes will be a good thing, since we'll need that cap space for Ennis.

-Stafford might have saved his career with the Sabres, and I don't know if I like that.

This team needs to add one more major offensive tool and stay healthy. That will be the key to success next season.

Missing the playoffs gives me a pretty good indication of how they'd perform in the playoffs. I know a bunch of you were of the opinion that the Sbares would be dangerous in the playoffs, I wasn't among you. I think the last month and a half isn't any more representative of the team than the month of December was. Average them out and I think we've got a fair representation. I didn't have much confidence that the average was good enough to come out on top of a 7 game series against anyone but the other lowest seeds.

The worst thing about missing the playoffs...is missing the playoffs. The only thing that gives me any shred of peace is that the Sabres, as assembled today would absolutely not win the Cup. I can avoid the stress of the inevitable OT loss and series loss, or even worse, the dreaded 7th game OT loss! This club is so razor thin in their margin for error. One injury or one subpar game by Miller and they lose. They gotta build up some depth and hopefully this year a bunch of new guys will play like Vets next year....not to mention any new additions.

Missing the playoffs gives me a pretty good indication of how they'd perform in the playoffs. I know a bunch of you were of the opinion that the Sbares would be dangerous in the playoffs, I wasn't among you. I think the last month and a half isn't any more representative of the team than the month of December was. Average them out and I think we've got a fair representation. I didn't have much confidence that the average was good enough to come out on top of a 7 game series against anyone but the other lowest seeds.

Pretty good summation of my feelings as well.

The worst thing about missing the playoffs...is missing the playoffs. The only thing that gives me any shred of peace is that the Sabres, as assembled today would absolutely not win the Cup. I can avoid the stress of the inevitable OT loss and series loss, or even worse, the dreaded 7th game OT loss! This club is so razor thin in their margin for error. One injury or one subpar game by Miller and they lose. They gotta build up some depth and hopefully this year a bunch of new guys will play like Vets next year....not to mention any new additions.

Agree 100%. If you can't make it to the dance you do not deserve to be there. However I would have liked to see some of the kids get some Playoff experience for next year.

This club is so razor thin in their margin for error.

That sums it up as well as anything.

All the excuses that get pulled out are a result of this. Everything has to go PERFECT for this team to have a chance. When they don't, some view it as a reason to keep the band together. If you look at it honestly, they just aren't good. Pitt was decimated by injuries just like the Sabres, but were able to at least keep their heads above water before their run. That was without the best player in hockey on the ice.

I for one think this was pretty much an exact replay of last season. They go on a big run, some young guys get the juices flowing, many start getting giddy about the next year because they finished on a run and start projecting crazy things, then we have a repeat. Look who people were trumpeting last year at this time of the new blood.....Gerbe, Ennis, Weber, Gragnani. Gerbe was the hottest player on the team and much like this year, Ennis for some reason saved his best hustle for last. Weber looked like a top 4 stay at home defenseman, and Gragnani was a calming force in the playoffs who could rush the puck.

Just the fact that 3 of the 4 have regressed, and the other one woke up just in time to get a Darcy-Special inflated contract......this year looks even more daunting. Foligno looks good, but he is still raw and doesn't have the smoothness of a guy like Kassian. He may make a career out of hustle and a mix of garbage and skill goals, but he isn't a "sky's the limit" type of guy. Tropp is a hustler but a 4th liner on a good team. McNabb is exciting, but as we have seen in his 2nd and 3rd stints, he isn't improving like a rocketship. Brennan...ok. Pretty much we are set up like last year.....except there probably isn't room for any big f/a move since Hecht/Boyes is going to be gobbled up by Myers/Ennis. Then you need to decide of filler types like Kaleta and Sulzer.

I'm in the exact same spot as I was last year. That ain't good.

How can a team spend so much money on payroll and yet still lack depth? Are they getting hiring tips from Ralph Wilson Jr? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: One of the huge issues facing the Bills is also a lack of depth as evidenced by the collapse of that team whenever there's an injury to a key player.

Not sure what the worst part of missing the playoffs is, but I will say this:

The BEST part of this team missing the playoffs is that hopefully they will realize moving forward that all the games matter, that points in October and November are just as important as points in March. If they had squeaked in two years in a row it would only reinforce the fact that they can half-ass it for half the year and then "make a run" to get in. In essence, missing this year creates a negative consequence for all those games in the middle of the season when they mailed it in. Yes, they had injuries (and of course those injuries contributed to their poor play), but they ALSO mailed it in on many occasions. If they could have just two of those games back they'd probably be in. I hope they remember this next year.

I don't think it is a matter of depth or the quality of depth. No team can prepare for 9 starters being out of the lineup. When your top 3 defensemen spend significant time out of the lineup what more can you do? No team can carry 6 defensemen with the quality of Regehr, Myers and Ehrhoff and certainly can't do it down to the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th defensemen.

I don't think it is a matter of depth or the quality of depth. No team can prepare for 9 starters being out of the lineup. When your top 3 defensemen spend significant time out of the lineup what more can you do? No team can carry 6 defensemen with the quality of Regehr, Myers and Ehrhoff and certainly can't do it down to the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th defensemen.

How about a team that was missing Crosby, Staal, and Letang all at the same time and Malkin, Fleury, and Kennedy thrown in for good measure?

Well, they did add a lot of playoff experience (Regehr, Leino, Ehrhoff combined have around 150 playoff games) in the offseason. It really is a shame we won't get to see how they respond in the playoffs.

Like other people have already said, there's 30 NHL teams, more than half make the playoffs. If you can't make it in, that says a whole about your team.

I don't know if I agree that we can't evaluate this team unless the make the playoffs. I think I have a pretty good idea of where this team is based on what we've seen this season.

Key Points:

-Good, young, talent makes this team better.

-Ennis is a star when he's healthy.

-Foligno could be the power forward we've been waiting for.

-When our D is injured, this team is not very good.

-Derek Roy needs to go.

-Miller needs to stay healthy for this team to win.

-Parting ways with Hecht and Boyes will be a good thing, since we'll need that cap space for Ennis.

-Stafford might have saved his career with the Sabres, and I don't know if I like that.

This team needs to add one more major offensive tool and stay healthy. That will be the key to success next season.

Add Leino along with players the Sabres need to part with. To say Leino was a major disappointment would be an understatement.

The Sabres need to make some major changes in the offseason if they really want to get much closer to their goal of winning the cup in three years. One thing I am sick of seeing from Lindy Ruff's teams is the team playing like crap for most of the season, then try to squeak in the playoffs at the last minute. Yes, I know injuries played a big part in this year's mid-season slump, but like others have said, if one or two players get injured, and if Miller doesn't play spectacular, then the Sabres lose.

If you want to look at next year, if you want to be honest, you are probably aiming for a #6-8 spot. Can the Sabres improve enough and Boston falter enough to outperform them over 82 games? Probably not. Even if you do, you have Ottawa finding their legs with a decent mix of vets and young kids....with 3 or 4 difference makers on that team.

So that puts you in 4th at best. Can you catch all 3 of Pitt, Philly and the Rangers next year? I would say almost impossible. It is quite possible 1 of them falls off and the Sabres improve enough to catch them.....maybe even 2. But all 3? That leaves you looking at 5th and road ice if you can catch 2 of them.

Then you have Ottawa and New Jersey. Those are realistic to match or beat. But at the same time you have Tampa who underperformed this year but who has 4 difference makers at forward. Winnipeg who has a very young team that plays hard and can figure it out quickly. Toronto played well much of the year and collapsed. If they finally make a move on a goalie, they could be a problem. Carolina really calmed the ship and seems to be slowly righting it with Muller. Islanders? Who ever knows. Like Edmonton, so much talent...just need to figure something out someday.

You will probably be one of 8 or 9 teams chasing 3 spots next year. Is it possible the Sabres go bonkers and win the division? I guess anything is possible.....but already when handicapping next year....even if this team is healthy as can be and makes up 6 or so wins.....your best chance may be to start on the road. When you look at the dynamics, a miss is possible as well.

We shall see.

Add Leino along with players the Sabres need to part with. To say Leino was a major disappointment would be an understatement.

The Sabres need to make some major changes in the offseason if they really want to get much closer to their goal of winning the cup in three years. One thing I am sick of seeing from Lindy Ruff's teams is the team playing like crap for most of the season, then try to squeak in the playoffs at the last minute. Yes, I know injuries played a big part in this year's mid-season slump, but like others have said, if one or two players get injured, and if Miller doesn't play spectacular, then the Sabres lose.

Leino was definitely a disappointment, but I'm not ready to see him go just yet. I think if you remove Roy from this team, Leino becomes a better player. I'd like to see Leino on a line with guys like Stafford and Foligno. Leino needs to be able to get into space while his linemates dig on the boards. He just doesn't have the right linemates.

How about a team that was missing Crosby, Staal, and Letang all at the same time and Malkin, Fleury, and Kennedy thrown in for good measure?

1. They are arguably the best team in the league. They have enough talent to make up for injuries. They are an exception. Not to mention their injuries were more spread out and they weren't down 9 starters.

2. They weren't doing too hot during the middle of the season. If I remember correctly they were well below .500 for about a 30 game stretch during the middle of the season.

If you want to look at next year, if you want to be honest, you are probably aiming for a #6-8 spot. Can the Sabres improve enough and Boston falter enough to outperform them over 82 games? Probably not. Even if you do, you have Ottawa finding their legs with a decent mix of vets and young kids....with 3 or 4 difference makers on that team.

So that puts you in 4th at best. Can you catch all 3 of Pitt, Philly and the Rangers next year? I would say almost impossible. It is quite possible 1 of them falls off and the Sabres improve enough to catch them.....maybe even 2. But all 3? That leaves you looking at 5th and road ice if you can catch 2 of them.

Then you have Ottawa and New Jersey. Those are realistic to match or beat. But at the same time you have Tampa who underperformed this year but who has 4 difference makers at forward. Winnipeg who has a very young team that plays hard and can figure it out quickly. Toronto played well much of the year and collapsed. If they finally make a move on a goalie, they could be a problem. Carolina really calmed the ship and seems to be slowly righting it with Muller. Islanders? Who ever knows. Like Edmonton, so much talent...just need to figure something out someday.

You will probably be one of 8 or 9 teams chasing 3 spots next year. Is it possible the Sabres go bonkers and win the division? I guess anything is possible.....but already when handicapping next year....even if this team is healthy as can be and makes up 6 or so wins.....your best chance may be to start on the road. When you look at the dynamics, a miss is possible as well.

We shall see.

You don't think this is the least bit premature? There's a whole offseason to go through before these kind of assessments should be made. Williams and Anderson sure have change the perception of the Bills chances. Who knows what's going to happen during the summer both here and around the East.

You don't think this is the least bit premature? There's a whole offseason to go through before these kind of assessments should be made. Williams and Anderson sure have change the perception of the Bills chances. Who knows what's going to happen during the summer both here and around the East.

The Sabres didn't win this year so it's all over. All of it. Might as well move the team to Kansas so that he doesn't have to feel bad for our suffering.

^^^ THIS.

We also saw what most of these guys did in the playoffs last year. We were completely outclassed and only pushed the Flyers to 7 games because their goaltending was atrocious (and Miller stood on his head for a couple games).

Our team needs fundamental changes whether we slip into the playoffs at the 8th seed or whether we miss the playoffs. How much more evidence do we need?

1. They are arguably the best team in the league. They have enough talent to make up for injuries. They are an exception. Not to mention their injuries were more spread out and they weren't down 9 starters.

2. They weren't doing too hot during the middle of the season. If I remember correctly they were well below .500 for about a 30 game stretch during the middle of the season.

Indeed. Winning the Stanley Cup requires that your team is exceptional. It doesn't happen for mediocre teams that sneak into the playoffs.

Not sure what the worst part of missing the playoffs is, but I will say this:

The BEST part of this team missing the playoffs is that hopefully they will realize moving forward that all the games matter, that points in October and November are just as important as points in March. If they had squeaked in two years in a row it would only reinforce the fact that they can half-ass it for half the year and then "make a run" to get in. In essence, missing this year creates a negative consequence for all those games in the middle of the season when they mailed it in. Yes, they had injuries (and of course those injuries contributed to their poor play), but they ALSO mailed it in on many occasions. If they could have just two of those games back they'd probably be in. I hope they remember this next year.

This. Everyone knew the Sabres were working with a razor thin margin for error these last two months, and they were able to thrive on that edge for quite some time. Until they gouged their own jugular that is. What can you do? Play more competitively for the duration of the schedule and not mail in ANY games. It was a great run for sure, and I enjoyed watching Sabres hockey again these past few months. I'm also looking forward to how they retool this offseason. I wouldn't mind if Ruff and Darcy were shown the door, but posting here about it until my fingers bleed still isn't going to make it happen.

Archived