The WORST Thing About Missing Playoffs - No Evaluation

CallawaySabres

This. Everyone knew the Sabres were working with a razor thin margin for error these last two months, and they were able to thrive on that edge for quite some time. Until they gouged their own jugular that is. What can you do? Play more competitively for the duration of the schedule and not mail in ANY games. It was a great run for sure, and I enjoyed watching Sabres hockey again these past few months. I'm also looking forward to how they retool this offseason. I wouldn't mind if Ruff and Darcy were shown the door, but posting here about it until my fingers bleed still isn't going to make it happen.

Amen to that.

^^^ THIS.

We also saw what most of these guys did in the playoffs last year. We were completely outclassed and only pushed the Flyers to 7 games because their goaltending was atrocious (and Miller stood on his head for a couple games).

Our team needs fundamental changes whether we slip into the playoffs at the 8th seed or whether we miss the playoffs. How much more evidence do we need?

Indeed. Winning the Stanley Cup requires that your team is exceptional. It doesn't happen for mediocre teams that sneak into the playoffs.

I agree, but I don't think this team is mediocre. 10-5 to start the season and 19-7-5 since they got healthy. 29-12-5 is pretty impressive to me. Didn't the Sabres break the team record for injuries with 15 more games left to go in the season? This team is far from mediocre but they aren't the Pens. Yes theh need to do a little work during the offseason. But being only 1 year removed from being on a financial leash you can't expect them to turn into the Pens overnight. They certainly didn't. You can't deny that the changes made in the offseason and at the deadline improved this team. Part of the reason the Sabres aren't a Cup contender with the highest payroll isn't because of the fact that bad decisions were made this year, it's because they still have dead weight taking up room. And that goes hand in hand with what I said about not turning everything around in one year with a whole different strategy when it comes to stocking the roster knowing Regier can spend money. I'm as upset as anybody that they might miss the playoffs, but you can't tell me that next year isn't very promising.

^^^ THIS.

We also saw what most of these guys did in the playoffs last year. We were completely outclassed and only pushed the Flyers to 7 games because their goaltending was atrocious (and Miller stood on his head for a couple games).

Our team needs fundamental changes whether we slip into the playoffs at the 8th seed or whether we miss the playoffs. How much more evidence do we need?

Indeed. Winning the Stanley Cup requires that your team is exceptional. It doesn't happen for mediocre teams that sneak into the playoffs.

It happened to Philly two years ago on a shootout in the last game. They were one shot from going to game 7 in the Cup. Teams can get rolling at different times but you either have to be healthy or have enough depth. Sabres never seem to fall in either category....

People need to stop mentioning Pittsburgh and dealing with injuries. Yes, they were without the best player in the game...so they had to get by with ONLY having the second best player in the game, those poor things how ever did they manage! Plus, as another poster mentioned, they did go through a stretch where they were brutally bad and almost slipped out of the top 8 (coincidentally, when they had a large number of injuries) and half their fans were calling for them to write off the season and get ready for next year healthy. In a vacuum losing Crosby is huge, but let's not pretend the dropoff from Crosby to Malkin is even in the same universe as from Ehrhoff & Myers to some combination of Weber/McNabb/Brennan.

People need to stop mentioning Pittsburgh and dealing with injuries. Yes, they were without the best player in the game...so they had to get by with ONLY having the second best player in the game, those poor things how ever did they manage! Plus, as another poster mentioned, they did go through a stretch where they were brutally bad and almost slipped out of the top 8 (coincidentally, when they had a large number of injuries) and half their fans were calling for them to write off the season and get ready for next year healthy. In a vacuum losing Crosby is huge, but let's not pretend the dropoff from Crosby to Malkin is even in the same universe as from Ehrhoff & Myers to some combination of Weber/McNabb/Brennan.

Fair enough.

So when looking at the Sabres chances, it seems that "Oh man, if it wasn't for those injuries, we'd have been able to sneak into that 8th spot this year!"

Instead of, "Oh man, if it wasn't for those injuries, we would have run away with the President's trophy in March instead of being tied for 1st in the east with 10 games to go."

What are your expectations? Mediocrity, or a Stanley Cup? I was told 1 thing by management. It seems the real goal gets exposed however.

Fair enough.

So when looking at the Sabres chances, it seems that "Oh man, if it wasn't for those injuries, we'd have been able to sneak into that 8th spot this year!"

Instead of, "Oh man, if it wasn't for those injuries, we would have run away with the President's trophy in March instead of being tied for 1st in the east with 10 games to go."

What are your expectations? Mediocrity, or a Stanley Cup? I was told 1 thing by management. It seems the real goal gets exposed however.

I think this team, without as many injuries, easily snags at least the 6th spot this year. We're definitely as good, if not better than Washington, Ottawa, and New Jersey, when healthy. I think next year we're still better than Washington and Ottawa, Florida is worse, New Jersey still has old goalies and likely loses Parise, so they become worse.

And we know that once you're in the mix, you have a chance. I still think we're a piece or two away from being a top 4 team again in the East, but if Boston has a rough season next year who knows, we could take the division. I don't think anyone would be crying over 2nd place.

You don't think this is the least bit premature? There's a whole offseason to go through before these kind of assessments should be made. Williams and Anderson sure have change the perception of the Bills chances. Who knows what's going to happen during the summer both here and around the East.

A lot of people want to look at the Sabres as a single entity. It is a league. Is there a big enough case that can be made for these other top teams to falter that it should be exciting to expect a push to the top of the league? Are the teams just above and below the Sabres that far away from improvement of their own? People want to trumpet injuries in Buffalo. What if toronto or tampa had a goalie? What if Winnipeg grows into their young enthusiasm at home and brings that game on the road with consistancy? What if Brodeur can keep his level of play together one more year and NJ resigns Parise? What if Karlsson and some of the young guys on Ottawa continue to progress like you expect Myers, Foligno and Hodgson to progress? What happens when Hunter has a whole offseason with all that talent in Washington?

All I know is that even if Boyes and Hecht walk, Myers and Ennis will leave you with little wiggle room. Am I to believe that guys like Roy and Stafford whom I was told weren't moved at the deadline because nobody wants our trash...suddenly will hoodwink the rest of the league with another 6 week run when there was zero pressure?

Why not look forward? I guess since it is me trying to disect and analyze the league......I just must be complaining. Oh well.

I think this team, without as many injuries, easily snags at least the 6th spot this year. We're definitely as good, if not better than Washington, Ottawa, and New Jersey, when healthy. I think next year we're still better than Washington and Ottawa, Florida is worse, New Jersey still has old goalies and likely loses Parise, so they become worse.

And we know that once you're in the mix, you have a chance. I still think we're a piece or two away from being a top 4 team again in the East, but if Boston has a rough season next year who knows, we could take the division. I don't think anyone would be crying over 2nd place.

Just like trying to sneak into 8th place this year, the Sabres need 5 or 6 things to go their way. Boston, Pitt, NY, Philly just need 1 thing to go their way. Keep doing what you're doing. All those teams met adversity. Pitt had worse injuries than the Sabres, NY is a young team that plays their ass off every game, Philly got rid of their core, got younger, and still managed to improve their play. Boston is.....well, I guess Boston. Living off bold moves of the past.

There's always a chance.

A lot of people want to look at the Sabres as a single entity. It is a league. Is there a big enough case that can be made for these other top teams to falter that it should be exciting to expect a push to the top of the league? Are the teams just above and below the Sabres that far away from improvement of their own? People want to trumpet injuries in Buffalo. What if toronto or tampa had a goalie? What if Winnipeg grows into their young enthusiasm at home and brings that game on the road with consistancy? What if Brodeur can keep his level of play together one more year and NJ resigns Parise? What if Karlsson and some of the young guys on Ottawa continue to progress like you expect Myers, Foligno and Hodgson to progress? What happens when Hunter has a whole offseason with all that talent in Washington?

All I know is that even if Boyes and Hecht walk, Myers and Ennis will leave you with little wiggle room. Am I to believe that guys like Roy and Stafford whom I was told weren't moved at the deadline because nobody wants our trash...suddenly will hoodwink the rest of the league with another 6 week run when there was zero pressure?

Why not look forward? I guess since it is me trying to disect and analyze the league......I just must be complaining. Oh well.

Just like trying to sneak into 8th place this year, the Sabres need 5 or 6 things to go their way. Boston, Pitt, NY, Philly just need 1 thing to go their way. Keep doing what you're doing. All those teams met adversity. Pitt had worse injuries than the Sabres, NY is a young team that plays their ass off every game, Philly got rid of their core, got younger, and still managed to improve their play. Boston is.....well, I guess Boston. Living off bold moves of the past.

There's always a chance.

Needing things to go your way is what every team needs every year. That's how sports work.

It happened to Philly two years ago on a shootout in the last game. They were one shot from going to game 7 in the Cup. Teams can get rolling at different times but you either have to be healthy or have enough depth. Sabres never seem to fall in either category....

Which is not the same thing as WINNING the Cup though. Mediocre teams don't do that. Or, at least, they haven't yet. If we're ever planning to win a championship, I hope it's not by perpetually pinning our hopes on our team being the first mediocre team to ever win that trophy in the history of hockey.

Did I say you were complaining? All I'm saying is that it's premature to project next year's standings since none of these teams will even be remotely the same as they are now. The world gets incredibly boring if you can now suddenly say exactly how everything will turn out one year in advance.

You present a list of what ifs that would all hurt Buffalo and someone else could present a similar list of things that would all go in Buffalo's favor. No one has a clue which will happen. It's all exactly what I said it was, premature.

The worst thing about missing the playoffs is the East is wide open and Buffalo has been playing its best hockey the last 6 weeks. Last 2 games being the exception.

Nobody in the East is dominant, unbeatable, or one injury away from being an also-ran.

Although the best thing about missing the playoffs is I think it is setting up a pretty dynamic offseason with

Lots of options with the draft picks at potentially at 12, 22, 41, 42. That's a lot of ammo to shop or pick

Pronger and Crosby being gone for the majority of the year didn't turn the Flyers or Pens into "also rans". ;)

Proger wasn't the piece I had in mind. And each of those teams are 4 losses away from being on the golf course. Certainly not locks to get out of the first round. Playoffs are a war of attrition.

In fact...it looks like they might play each other. :lol: Something will give.

Proger wasn't the piece I had in mind. And each of those teams are 4 losses away from being on the golf course. Certainly not locks to get out of the first round. Playoffs are a war of attrition.

Well clearly one of them will not make it out of the first round since chances are they will be playing each other. :)

There's always a chance.

...does this not reinforce the value of coaching? do the Rangers respond better to Torts better than the Sabres do to Ruff? Who the hell knows ?

Fair enough.

Management said the goal was to win the Cup in 3 years, and this is year 1. Granted I'm sure missing the playoffs in year 1 wasn't part of the plan, but you can't say the real goal was to scrap for 8th place just because that's what happened in year 1 of the process.

Pronger and Crosby being gone for the majority of the year didn't turn the Flyers or Pens into "also rans". ;)

No, but if Lundqvist went through what Miller did, the Rangers would be "also rans" :P

Did I say you were complaining? All I'm saying is that it's premature to project next year's standings since none of these teams will even be remotely the same as they are now. The world gets incredibly boring if you can now suddenly say exactly how everything will turn out one year in advance.

You present a list of what ifs that would all hurt Buffalo and someone else could present a similar list of things that would all go in Buffalo's favor. No one has a clue which will happen. It's all exactly what I said it was, premature.

Mom! He called me Premature..... :P

^^^ THIS.

05-06 Edmonton Oilers came in as the 8th seed and went to game 7 of the Cup finals. Atypical, for sure, but not impossible.

Mom! He called me Premature..... :P

So completely ignore the point of the first post. Now go with some random jackass response. Par for the course I guess. My problem is that you live in this world where every single thing is predetermined. That world depresses the hell out of me. But by all means, let's start the 2013 playoffs right now.

...does this not reinforce the value of coaching? do the Rangers respond better to Torts better than the Sabres do to Ruff? Who the hell knows ?

Who were the Sabres playing for in last years run? Who are the playing for during this years run?

Actually

Past 10 years:

Torts... 7 playoff runs 1..maybe 2? Stanley Cups

Ruff.... 4 playoffs.......and..well......you know......

Disclaimer to all newbies: Ghost posts ######. leaving just enough out to support his argument.

Torts: Since 2005, lost in first round four times, missed playoffs twice, fired once.

Ruff since 2005, 2 conference finals, 2 first round losses, missed playoffs twice.

Disclaimer to all newbies: Ghost posts ######. leaving just enough out to support his argument.

Torts: Since 2005, lost in first round four times, missed playoffs twice, fired once.

Ruff since 2005, 2 conference finals, 2 first round losses, missed playoffs twice.

Yes...he won a Stanley Cup and was fired.

And I didn't make the arguement....I was refuting "nearly a decade...never winning a round."

Archived