The WORST Thing About Missing Playoffs - No Evaluation

CallawaySabres

Yes...he won a Stanley Cup and was fired.

And I didn't make the arguement....I was refuting "nearly a decade...never winning a round."

You did see the great coach part, right? Anyway....there you go.

2001-02 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 27 40 11 4 0.421 Out of Playoffs 2002-03 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 36 25 16 5 0.567 Lost in round 2 2003-04 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 46 22 8 6 0.646 Won Championship 2005-06 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 43 33 0 6 0.561 Lost in round 1 2006-07 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 44 33 0 5 0.567 Lost in round 1 2007-08 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL Head 82 31 42 0 9 0.433 Out of Playoffs 2008-09 New York Rangers NHL Head 21 12 7 0 2 0.619 Lost in round 1 2009-10 New York Rangers NHL Head 82 38 33 0 11 0.530 Out of Playoffs 2010-11 New York Rangers NHL Head 82 44 33 0 5 0.567 Lost in round 1

So your argument is that your sh*t stinks a different stink?

X was being snarky about Tortorella.

I didn't say he was a great coach.....I was just comparing him to our resident, beloved Coach4Life.

In A DECADE........75% more playoff appearances.......and INFINITY more Stanley Cups........AND.....he was allowed to leave the Sabres.

If Torts isn't great...then what does that make Coach4life???

I didn't say he was a great coach.....I was just comparing him to our resident, beloved Coach4Life.

In A DECADE........75% more playoff appearances.......and INFINITY more Stanley Cups........AND.....he was allowed to leave the Sabres.

It doesn't matter what I think.

Disclaimer to all newbies: Ghost posts ######. leaving just enough out to support his argument.

Torts: Since 2005, lost in first round four times, missed playoffs twice, fired once.

Ruff since 2005, 2 conference finals, 2 first round losses, missed playoffs twice.

And another disclaimer, some people's entire purpose is to make sure others are miserable.

No I wasn't. He IS a great coach. I have a high opinion of him.

It doesn't matter what I think.

You have earned your SabreSpace Philosophy 323 badge today....and very well at that.

And another disclaimer, some people's entire purpose is to make sure others are miserable.

That reminds me....time to go walk by the orphanage on a nice day when the windows are open and talk really loud on my cell phone..."I love you too Mom and Dad!"

You have earned your SabreSpace Philosophy 323 badge today....and very well at that.

I'd encourage you to go earn the "Actions speak louder than words" badge, but I don't think that's in the cards for you. I think you'd rather talk and talk instead of doing something, that way your conscience can be clear. It's too bad you've wasted so much energy here when you could have used it on something constructive like a hunger strike. And instead of taking that path, you'd rather choose to just "switch hobbies". What a cop out. You can't even abandon the Sabres without trying to justify it to the rest of us.

No I wasn't. He IS a great coach. I have a high opinion of him.

To accuse you of being snarky with a post is completely ridiculous. You have to be the straightest shooter on this entire board.

Anyway, Torts is one of those guys I hope never goes away, and more than likely he won't. He tends to get results and he's a great character that makes watching games that much more fun.

The worst thing that can happen is that the Sabres miss the playoffs and then DR does nothing but lean on the injury crutches until next season claiming his beloved core can still do what it clearly can not do which is at the minimum make the playoffs and actually should be winning a cup.

The worst thing that can happen is that the Sabres miss the playoffs and then DR does nothing but lean on the injury crutches until next season claiming his beloved core can still do what it clearly can not do which is at the minimum make the playoffs and actually should be winning a cup.

This is the exact fear I have and the reason I started this thread.....

Leino was definitely a disappointment, but I'm not ready to see him go just yet. I think if you remove Roy from this team, Leino becomes a better player. I'd like to see Leino on a line with guys like Stafford and Foligno. Leino needs to be able to get into space while his linemates dig on the boards. He just doesn't have the right linemates.

I like Leino digging on the boards, as he seems to be pretty good at it. I think that Leino is another player on our squad that would benefit from having a guy with jam on his line (Tropp, Foligno). Leino is a pretty physical player on the boards, so I think that with having a big body to watch his back and crash the net, we'd be making the most out of Ville's talents. Not playing with Roy would also help.

Disclaimer: I have had a deep passionate man crush on Ville Leino since the 2010 playoffs and was thrilled when he signed with the Sabres. I hope that by the end of his contract that 4.5 mil looks like a god damned steal.

EDIT: My response to your post was almost a word for word copy of what you said. :doh: I think I just read the bolded sentence and replied.

The worst thing about missing the playoffs is the East is wide open and Buffalo has been playing its best hockey the last 6 weeks. Last 2 games being the exception.

Nobody in the East is dominant, unbeatable, or one injury away from being an also-ran.

Although the best thing about missing the playoffs is I think it is setting up a pretty dynamic offseason with

Lots of options with the draft picks at potentially at 12, 22, 41, 42. That's a lot of ammo to shop or pick

Thank you once again X for clearly stating how I feel better than I could have.

You know, several posters today mentioned the 2013 playoffs.

What in the hell, especially after this year, guarantees that?

If you don't assume that your team's going to be good next year, then you're not doing it right. ;)

The worst thing about missing the playoffs is the East is wide open and Buffalo has been playing its best hockey the last 6 weeks. Last 2 games being the exception.

Nobody in the East is dominant, unbeatable, or one injury away from being an also-ran.

Although the best thing about missing the playoffs is I think it is setting up a pretty dynamic offseason with

Lots of options with the draft picks at potentially at 12, 22, 41, 42. That's a lot of ammo to shop or pick

Agree on the downside to missing the playoffs this year, but I don't think the Sabres have to horses to beat the Pens if the Sabres were somehow fortunate enough to meet up with them. The rest of the east, I could see ways for the Sabres to win any particular series. (Not saying they could or would, just that it isn't like winning the lottery if it were to get done. Though it's looking like they'll have to have the sort of luck you'd need to win the lottery to get into the mix.)

Disagree on the best part of missing the playoffs. The draft picks will most likely be worth roughly the same regardless of whether the Sabres get in or not. The best part of missing the playoffs is that guys like Miller can get fully healthy.

PS as I was typing the bit about the lottery the Bolts scored a pair.

Agree on the downside to missing the playoffs this year, but I don't think the Sabres have to horses to beat the Pens if the Sabres were somehow fortunate enough to meet up with them. The rest of the east, I could see ways for the Sabres to win any particular series. (Not saying they could or would, just that it isn't like winning the lottery if it were to get done. Though it's looking like they'll have to have the sort of luck you'd need to win the lottery to get into the mix.)

Disagree on the best part of missing the playoffs. The draft picks will most likely be worth roughly the same regardless of whether the Sabres get in or not. The best part of missing the playoffs is that guys like Miller can get fully healthy.

All things being equal - I would rather be in the playoffs. (The upside isn't terrific)

Pittsburgh and Philly just might beat the hell out of each other in round 1.

All things being equal - I would rather be in the playoffs. (The upside isn't terrific)

Pittsburgh and Philly just might beat the hell out of each other in round 1.

But it won't matter to the Sabres unless they can beat the Rags and B's AND take care of business prior to worrying about them. I don't see the Otters winning more than a game against the B's.

At this point there's only one team worth mentioning and that's the Rangers. To me they seem like a team that's ripe for the picking. They can't score goals and if they run into a hot goalie they may be done. If that does happen with whoever they draw, it could make for a very entertaining goalie battle.

At this point there's only one team worth mentioning and that's the Rangers. To me they seem like a team that's ripe for the picking. They can't score goals and if they run into a hot goalie they may be done. If that does happen with whoever they draw, it could make for a very entertaining goalie battle.

the big question about the Rags is how deep that defensive corps goes.

Sorry......It was like the FBI training run where the bad guys wearing knit caps pop up at the shooting range and then the woman walking the dog does and I blow her to bits.

-1 for me

No probs. I could see why you thought I was being flip.

I really do think most of Torts problems have come from roster design. I think he finally convinced Slats not to mortgage the future by selling off the farm. They finally have ripe home grown talent for the first time in forever.

Did I read it wrong, or were there really 7 other teams who had the same or greater number of player minutes lost to injury as the Sabres did this year? I thought I saw that somewhere recently but can't remember. If I'm not hallucinating and this is a factual number, does anyone know who those teams are?

Did I read it wrong, or were there really 7 other teams who had the same or greater number of player minutes lost to injury as the Sabres did this year? I thought I saw that somewhere recently but can't remember. If I'm not hallucinating and this is a factual number, does anyone know who those teams are?

That's right---- the Sabres have set a franchise record with man games lost (the stat has only been kept since, I think, 1998 or so) but they are barely in the top 10 for this season. It's a funny stat, though, and not completely accurate.

Archived