GDT: Buffalo at Toronto (3/31/2012, 7:05PM)

Ghost of Dwight Drane

In looking at the game stats, Roy had several more minutes of ice time than either Stafford, Ennis, or Foligno.... does that make sense?

Here's the splits for the month of March - not sure if they're updated for tonight or not...

Foligno - 10 points, 6 goals - +/- = 9

Ennis - 7 goals, 17 points - +/- = 9

Stafford - 7 goals, 16 points - +/- = 10

And Lindy's "son", Derek?

1 goal, 5 points, and a +/- of -3!

Why would any sane coach put Roy on the ice for 3 or 4 minutes longer than any of those aforementioned players???? Especially in a must win game with the season and playoffs on the line????

That is a question that the Darcy Regier that I USED to believe existed would never ask himself. Because that IS a great question, one that only the GM can address effectively.

In looking at the game stats, Roy had several more minutes of ice time than either Stafford, Ennis, or Foligno.... does that make sense?

Here's the splits for the month of March - not sure if they're updated for tonight or not...

Why would any sane coach put Roy on the ice for 3 or 4 minutes longer than any of those aforementioned players???? Especially in a must win game with the season and playoffs on the line????

absolutely that needs to be addressed. never have really understood ruffs love affair with roy. to add to that roy had the most toi of all forwards tonight. why lindy why?

They have a better chance of catching the Panthers than the Caps, really, based on Florida's schedule, though the way the season has come to this they probably don't deserve it.

Notice in The Charts thread GoDD suggested two straight losses would be ideal in the last few games, fwiw. They're very much still in this although like I said, they may not deserve it.

I'm in the camp of there is no "deserve it" for wild-card spots. If a team makes it, it's because the team deserved it.

Bottom line is that you can't bring back the same people who have been here for 15 years and have missed the playoffs for 6 years out of the last 10.

Hold up there. We're either doing this, or not. Last I was informed, it was your idea to hold all this stuff until after the season, and a lot of people honored it.

Anyway. I missed periods 2 and 3 entirely. (Family thing.) I thought they played well enough in the first to win if they kept it up all game; I take it that they didn't keep it up all game.

Sometimes it's even more ridiculous than what you have posted, against Washington the other night Roy had 20:29 TOI, Ennis had 11:38 TOI, (that's total ice time). Ennis ended up with 2 assist, while Roy went without a point, again.

In 32 more games this season Roy has 1 goal and 8 assist more than Ennis. Roy is also a -10 with 56 give away's, while Ennis is a +14 with 17 give away's. The way Lindy plays Roy is like the way bad Pee Wee coach plays his son.

When your owner, GM, and coach all use the injury excuse for the inability to play the same mindset probably seeps into the locker room. In the interviews I heard they all referenced health as the reason for their run. My guess is when you lose three defensemen in two games it shakes confidence. Couple that with the overall physical and mental exhaustion from these past couple months and I'd say you're ripe for a loss to an inferior opponent.

My fear, and probably most on this board's fear, is that this team will do nothing in the offseason due to their good run up until now. I can think of one positive from the run, Drew Stafford regaining some of his value, that probably won't be taken advantage of.

Even though they may not technically be out of the playoffs, this season was a failure. They had a terrific run to get to a point of contention, and they should be commended for that/ However, lets not forget the points sacrificed to the Carolina's, Columbus', and Islanders' of the league.

Fear, yes. Likelihood, doubtful. Pegula may love Darcy and Lindy for some reason, but he has yet to stand pat when an opportunity arises to take action. I don't think for a second he will be content with what happened, and therefore Darcy will not be content with what happens. All those picks stockpiled - I'd wager we make a bigger splash than people expect over something not happening at all.

Are you new here? :)

Roy already in his playoff form.

Sometimes it's even more ridiculous than what you have posted, against Washington the other night Roy had 20:29 TOI, Ennis had 11:38 TOI, (that's total ice time). Ennis ended up with 2 assist, while Roy went without a point, again.

In 32 more games this season Roy has 1 goal and 8 assist more than Ennis. Roy is also a -10 with 56 give away's, while Ennis is a +14 with 17 give away's. The way Lindy plays Roy is like the way bad Pee Wee coach plays his son.

just went back and looked, and in the last 16 games, since the first game in march, roy has led the the forwards in toi all but 5 games, why?

i want them to win bad but i think the only way changes will be made is if they don't make it in. right now i think they need changes more than they need to get in.

I have mixed feelings about the Sabres, In one hand I feel like its time for a total change they havent accomplished squat except for a two yr run with Drury and Brierre. They were basically handed the run in 99 to them by Muckler and Hasek, but I really like the play of alot of the young players that Darcy has drafted and brought up since the Roy Pominville Stafford so called core players( I FN HATE THAT WORD now) I really like the play of Ennis Foligno Mcnabb . And as much as I hated the Idea of Pominville being the captain I think he has really progressed his play and his leadership over the course of the year...I kinda hope they dont blow it up after this year and give them one more season. There is definatrly changes that need to be made to the roster to improve this team but I am for one more yr of the double R's...I didnt think I would want that but ohwell..

I never realized how much Roy played in relation to other fwds.

The fact he's playing more than Ennis is disgusting.

Roy better not be on this team next year.

It really is troublesome to see how much Ruff gives this guy. You have to think the young guys must bitch to each other over Xbox games on how much Roy plays for how little he does.

Haven't broken down the numbers, but heres an observation I think will be supported by our record:

Our forwards are a helluvalot worse, and our goalie is helluvalot worse without Myers and Ehrhoff in the lineup.

That more than anything is why we lost tonight and whynwe will miss the playoffs.

Bold prediction: The Sabres win the cup this year.

Apparently Bulleit (see whisky thread) isn't strong enough; I'll have what you're having.

This still (see previous post in this thread) is the worst thread I think I've seen on here in forever.

Not your fault, quicksand.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not some new convert to the Sunshine Club here. But the post-deadline Sabres have absolutely shown us some things to cheer for, not the least of which is the savvy that Darcy regier has shown us. Hodgson's gonna be amazing. And Sulzer is good, too. Amazing trade. A guy who can pull that off can do some other things that I never expected.

Only problem is, I can't count how many times I've seen this team play themselves out of a playoff spot in November-December, only to finish strong and either squeak in, or JUST miss the playoffs. leaving everyone thinking "everything will be SO much better next year".

It's a trend that started when Marty Biron took over from Hasek, carried through the bankruptcy years, was shortly interrupted by the post-lockout rules, and then re-emerged after Drury and Briere left.

Bottom line is, in my book - The roster might look new, but the team is very much the same as it always was.

I mean, what team serious about the playoffs lose to a third string goalie one night, and to the freakin' Leafs the next?

Nothing ever changes in Sabreland.

I have mixed feelings about the Sabres, In one hand I feel like its time for a total change they havent accomplished squat except for a two yr run with Drury and Brierre. They were basically handed the run in 99 to them by Muckler and Hasek, but I really like the play of alot of the young players that Darcy has drafted and brought up since the Roy Pominville Stafford so called core players( I FN HATE THAT WORD now) I really like the play of Ennis Foligno Mcnabb . And as much as I hated the Idea of Pominville being the captain I think he has really progressed his play and his leadership over the course of the year...I kinda hope they dont blow it up after this year and give them one more season. There is definatrly changes that need to be made to the roster to improve this team but I am for one more yr of the double R's...I didnt think I would want that but ohwell..

I definitely agree with this.

I think it was Mike Robitaille last night who said the Sabres needed to forget about the Pittsburgh game, and treat the Maple Leaf game as if they were playing the BEST team in the NHL, a dangerous team.

Too bad Roby wasn't the one coaching - Ruff needed to get these guys psyched, and up, and he failed to do so.

4 games left in the season and fighting for a playoff spot and it's up to the coach to motivate these guys? I don't agree. This one is on the players.

4 games left in the season and fighting for a playoff spot and it's up to the coach to motivate these guys? I don't agree. This one is on the players.

Totally agreed. You go out there and beat a clearly inferior opponent. Bottom freakin' line. You don't feel you were properly motivated or coached to take on the opponent? Screw it. Hype yourself up. Listen to whatever music you want to. Dammit, take it into your own freakin' hands.

Coaches fault my ass. Not this one.

"The killer was we let them in the game right off the bat," Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff said. "The play by Sekera was the killer. We had the crowd out of it."

I'm not happy about how free Lindy feels to throw his players under a bus in post-game interviews. Seems he does it alot these days.

Only problem is, I can't count how many times I've seen this team play themselves out of a playoff spot in November-December, only to finish strong and either squeak in, or JUST miss the playoffs. leaving everyone thinking "everything will be SO much better next year".

It's a trend that started when Marty Biron took over from Hasek, carried through the bankruptcy years, was shortly interrupted by the post-lockout rules, and then re-emerged after Drury and Briere left.

Bottom line is, in my book - The roster might look new, but the team is very much the same as it always was.

I mean, what team serious about the playoffs lose to a third string goalie one night, and to the freakin' Leafs the next?

Nothing ever changes in Sabreland.

I definitely agree with this.

The only thing that changes are the excuses.

We are going to be sold the same bill of goods the Sabres tried to sell last off-season. Hopefully there will be less fans buying their crap.

It's too bad that there are no new excuses, and there are no new people to blame. The Roy haters are hating Roy, the Ruff haters are hating Ruff, the Darcy haters are hating Darcy. It bugs me that we were beat by backup goalies on consecutive nights, because my big pet-peave is Ryan Miller being put on some untouchable pedestal, but I'm even tired of my own thoughts on that. Is there anything to say that hasn't already been said?

We might have had a chance against Pittsburgh, with Erhoff. Then the snowball of confidence continued to melt, without Myers. Injuries, huh? There's an original discussion. Ennis line played well, duh. Sorry, but I've got a massive Kool-aid hangover going on and it looks like it's going to last the rest of the season.

Archived