GDT: Buffalo at Toronto (3/31/2012, 7:05PM)

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm as absolutely frustrated as I could possibly be...but ALL teams do this. Pittsburgh just lost 2 in a row to the Islanders, effectively ending their chances at a #1 seed.

Hardly the same sense of life-or-death, don't you think? Pittsburgh could lose 8 in a row and still get in.

A good coach gets his player to play.

At times, sure, a coach can press the right buttons to get things going. But good coaches get fired all the time, and it's not because they forgot how to coach, it's because the players failed miserably. I always use the Phil Jackson comparison...the man won 11 NBA championships...ELEVEN! And last year his team, two time defending champions, got swept out of the playoffs with a whimper. Pau Gasol vanished, and no coach on the planet was going to get him to show up.

Note: This is not a defense of Ruff in particular, but more of an exposition on what I believe sports is: 90% players, 10% coaches.

Silence. If it wasn't for Miller in the last month and a half, this team wouldn't even be in this position.

Of course, if it wasnt for Miller in months prior, this team wouldn't be in this position either, lol.

Post of the night!

Was that Buffalo showing up, or Holtby in net and no effort from Ovie? Props to them for the Rangers game, but cmon, they have to do it more than once.

oh please. No effort from Ovie? He got straight worked. Sad fact is that the Sabres may have blown thier load getting back into the race. Doesn't matter if they miss the playoffs, nobody's getting fired. I'd bet my house on it...

Hardly the same sense of life-or-death, don't you think? Pittsburgh could lose 8 in a row and still get in.

Same? No. But do you honestly think the Penguins would rather face Philly in the 1st round than whoever finished 8th? I think Pittsburgh can beat any team in a series, and they weren't playing for their lives....but it's not like they had nothing to play for either.

A good coach gets his player to play.

I wonder how many times Ken Hitchcock was fired and heard that line. I think this collection of players is too fragile. Remove Myers and Ehrhoff and the team falls apart? Who is leading this team in the locker room?

do we lead the league in SH goals given up? it sure feels like it. If there was a stat for most goals given up within the last 10 seconds of a period, I bet we take the lead in that dubious category as well

Middle of the pack for the SHGA. Jersey, Tampa, Pitt, Wash, Detroit have given up most (in that order).

I wonder how many times Ken Hitchcock was fired and heard that line. I think this collection of players is too fragile. Remove Myers and Ehrhoff and the team falls apart? Who is leading this team in the locker room?

Funny that you mentioned someone with a cup.

oh please. No effort from Ovie? He got straight worked. Sad fact is that the Sabres may have blown thier load getting back into the race. Doesn't matter if they miss the playoffs, nobody's getting fired. I'd bet my house on it...

Going back to what I said originally, those games were big in this run. So was game one in Philly when they came out and gutted out a 1-0 win. They blew it game six, because they didn't show up when it counts. They have likely blown it in Toronto because they didn't show up when it counts. I don't see how that statement isn't true. Yeah they played well when they had to once, then proceeded to not do just that. Like they have been doing for 5 years.

How can it be that Washington takes care of business after a crushing loss to the Sabres, and we can't get a friggin point out of the next two games? It's not over yet, but there are HUGE odds against us now. I have no respect for the Capitals. If I called them even mediocre, I'd bite right through my tongue saying it. So where does that leave Buffalo?

Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz!

Caps won in shootout - that means they have 2 points up on the Sabres - effectively, 3 up since they have the tie-breaker. The Sabres have only 3 games to gain 3 points on the Caps, and 2 of those games are road games against the Flyers and the Bruins.

Gonna be real tough to catch the Caps now, I think. :(

Archived