GDT: Buffalo at Toronto (3/31/2012, 7:05PM)

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm not going on a Darcy rant, now, because I'll have plenty of time to do that later. But who on this team shows a propensity to will the Sabres to win... or to carry them over the hump when it matters most? I know it's not Roy. I have never believed it's Miller (which I know will invite some debate).

Who is it then? I can't find anyone in the core of this team who is the Drury, Crosby, Zetterberg. Did anyone notice the absence of this over these past two games?

Maybe Ennis? But wow. That would be a stretch for me!

28. Buffalo will still be looking back at 1999.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not some new convert to the Sunshine Club here. But the post-deadline Sabres have absolutely shown us some things to cheer for, not the least of which is the savvy that Darcy regier has shown us. Hodgson's gonna be amazing. And Sulzer is good, too. Amazing trade. A guy who can pull that off can do some other things that I never expected.

Beat you to it, pal. Been following since the late 60s. I was the curse before you were even a twinkle in your father's eyes.

The only Bills and Sabres fans that aren't the curse are the Bills fans of 64 and 65.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not some new convert to the Sunshine Club here. But the post-deadline Sabres have absolutely shown us some things to cheer for, not the least of which is the savvy that Darcy regier has shown us. Hodgson's gonna be amazing. And Sulzer is good, too. Amazing trade. A guy who can pull that off can do some other things that I never expected.

He's proven nothing to me.

We lost to the Leafs tonight.

'Nuff said.

Not speaking for everyone here, but the last thing sabres related I was truly excited for was before my voice changed and I could cheer loudly and high-pitched. That was five years ago, and it has been the same expectant feeling being shattered every year since.

I'm not going on a Darcy rant, now, because I'll have plenty of time to do that later. But who on this team shows a propensity to will the Sabres to win... or to carry them over the hump when it matters most? I know it's not Roy. I have never believed it's Miller (which I know will invite some debate).

Who is it then? I can't find anyone in the core of this team who is the Drury, Crosby, Zetterberg. Did anyone notice the absence of this over these past two games?

Maybe Ennis? But wow. That would be a stretch for me!

In the coming years I do believe that Ennis and Foligno could evolve to be that spark. I think Vanek could have been but I truly believe that Lindy cut it out of him.

I wonder how many times Ken Hitchcock was fired and heard that line. I think this collection of players is too fragile. Remove Myers and Ehrhoff and the team falls apart? Who is leading this team in the locker room?

When your owner, GM, and coach all use the injury excuse for the inability to play the same mindset probably seeps into the locker room. In the interviews I heard they all referenced health as the reason for their run. My guess is when you lose three defensemen in two games it shakes confidence. Couple that with the overall physical and mental exhaustion from these past couple months and I'd say you're ripe for a loss to an inferior opponent.

My fear, and probably most on this board's fear, is that this team will do nothing in the offseason due to their good run up until now. I can think of one positive from the run, Drew Stafford regaining some of his value, that probably won't be taken advantage of.

Even though they may not technically be out of the playoffs, this season was a failure. They had a terrific run to get to a point of contention, and they should be commended for that/ However, lets not forget the points sacrificed to the Carolina's, Columbus', and Islanders' of the league.

Does this mean that without Ehrohoff we really are an average defense? I think he's proved his worth to the team but no one seemed to step up to take leadership.

Ehrhoff and Myers lead the Sabres in ice time and are absolutely key to their transition game. Without those two, handling the Leafs only strength (ie, team speed) was problematic at best. It affects them in both zones.

Having said that, they should have been able to gut out a must win and couldn't. Too many mistakes.

My fear, and probably most on this board's fear, is that this team will do nothing in the offseason due to their good run up until now. I can think of one positive from the run, Drew Stafford regaining some of his value, that probably won't be taken advantage of.

You mean, we might actually keep him? Is that what you;re saying would be an example of not taking advantage of his value?

With the Cup as the only legitimate measuring stick, did we move forward this year, tread water, or lose ground? If we miss the playoffs, it must be considered a step back. Period. Spin it as you wish, but that's the bottom line.

I'm in no mood to hear about the "magic" woven by Darcy at the trade deadline as an argument some might make for believing we've moved forward. Potential is wonderful except during another long off-season.

Well that's the season. 2 games out now with the Caps win. It was fun.

See you next year. GODD, DeLuca and company can break out the bubbly now.

PTR

We'll wait for the Sabres to fire the Status Quo and share it with all Sabre fans. That will be a true day of celebration for all of Sabre Nation.

In looking at the game stats, Roy had several more minutes of ice time than either Stafford, Ennis, or Foligno.... does that make sense?

Here's the splits for the month of March - not sure if they're updated for tonight or not...

Foligno - 10 points, 6 goals - +/- = 9

Ennis - 7 goals, 17 points - +/- = 9

Stafford - 7 goals, 16 points - +/- = 10

And Lindy's "son", Derek?

1 goal, 5 points, and a +/- of -3!

Why would any sane coach put Roy on the ice for 3 or 4 minutes longer than any of those aforementioned players???? Especially in a must win game with the season and playoffs on the line????

Archived