(OT) Official March Madness and Championship week thread

FolignosJock

So who else on here is big D1 basketball fans? I thought we could use a thread to discuss it all Conference Championships, the bubble, selection sunday and of course the Big Dance. Big VCU fan here so i will be at the CAA tournament all weekend and give my thoughts. Gonna be hard to have a big run like last year but its all about matchups so here is hoping.

My Lobos really had a chance last week to solidify a top-8 and blew two games against inferior teams. They now have to win the MWC tourny in Vegas, which they rarely do, to guarantee a spot but they're pretty much in. Maybe it's just as well they nab a 13 or 14 spot anyway, as they're much better as underdogs.

I used to love the tournament and college basketball in general, but this concept of recruiting these HS players for one year knowing they are going to bolt for the NBA after that season has turned me off to the game. I will still watch the tournament, but will root against any team that has players who are clearly there for just one year. i.e. Carmelo at Syracuse & Wall at Kentucky

I don't really understand why the can't use the same rules college football uses where you have to have 3 years in(sorry I don't know the exact rule).

• 2 weeks later...

So who else on here is big D1 basketball fans? I thought we could use a thread to discuss it all Conference Championships, the bubble, selection sunday and of course the Big Dance. Big VCU fan here so i will be at the CAA tournament all weekend and give my thoughts. Gonna be hard to have a big run like last year but its all about matchups so here is hoping.

I think I've professed my love of VCU before. Love the spirit at that place. I think they have a shot right off the bat. I had them as a 3 point dog and they are catching 6.

Nothing wrong with this thread. I've got two alma maters with a decent chance of making the tournament; if either does, I'll actually watch it.

Congrats! Mississippi Valley St. is in the play-in. Good luck.

My Lobos really had a chance last week to solidify a top-8 and blew two games against inferior teams. They now have to win the MWC tourny in Vegas, which they rarely do, to guarantee a spot but they're pretty much in. Maybe it's just as well they nab a 13 or 14 spot anyway, as they're much better as underdogs.

Yeah....I think they are in tough. If they don't get nipped first out, they get Louisville next. The scumbags at the NCAA seem to have done whatever they could to make sure Kentucky and Duke get through. There are tons of potential spoilers in your bracket. I can see Memphis getting going, and that is only if they get by St. louis.....Louisville I think is ready for a run....Virginia is a tough, tough group for anyone.....Murray St., not getting respect but I have them getting to 16. Then Mizzu in my opinion is the best team on that entire half of board.

It's going to be a good tourney.

I've never been a big basketball fan, but I did follow college basketball for a number of years. Not so much anymore. For me, "March Madness" is watching other people running around trying to fill out their bracket sheet; it can be quite humorous. I have an tiny interest in that St. Bonaventure is in the tourney this year (a school about an hour or so outside of Buffalo for those out of the area). It's nice to see a small local school make it in. However, they are up against Florida State in the first round - I'm told that the Seminoles are really good, so it might be one and done for the Bonnies. Still, it is the NCAA Tournament and anything can happen, right? :rolleyes: Maybe I'll watch that one game......

My tourney sleeper - Iona Gaels.

You mean everyones tourney sleeper...

I've never been a big basketball fan, but I did follow college basketball for a number of years. Not so much anymore. For me, "March Madness" is watching other people running around trying to fill out their bracket sheet; it can be quite humorous. I have an tiny interest in that St. Bonaventure is in the tourney this year (a school about an hour or so outside of Buffalo for those out of the area). It's nice to see a small local school make it in. However, they are up against Florida State in the first round - I'm told that the Seminoles are really good, so it might be one and done for the Bonnies. Still, it is the NCAA Tournament and anything can happen, right? :rolleyes: Maybe I'll watch that one game......

Honestly Florida State isnt that great they showed up in tournament games against duke and UNC and obviously in the ACC tournament but they have some BAD losses this year to teams that dont have the talent Bonaventure has.

Honestly Florida State isnt that great they showed up in tournament games against duke and UNC and obviously in the ACC tournament but they have some BAD losses this year to teams that dont have the talent Bonaventure has.

Don't underestimate Florida State - they are much more than just showing up big in the ACC tournament this year. They had two bad losses this year - to BC a few weeks ago and to Princeton earlier in the season. Outside of that, almost all the teams they lost to were big programs who are in the dance - Duke (once); Michigan State; UConn, Florida. But other than that they have played some real good basketball since the start of January. They went 2-1 against Duke (winning at Duke once) and 2-0 against UNC (including a 33-point pasting) this year.

i will be rooting for my Syracuse Orange as usual. They look like they have a chance to make a serious run this year. It's a shame all the off the court issues this year but I still root for the team. Also have a minor rooting interest in the bonnies this year just because they are a good local story.

Love this time of the year... :thumbsup:

i will be rooting for my Syracuse Orange as usual. They look like they have a chance to make a serious run this year. It's a shame all the off the court issues this year but I still root for the team. Also have a minor rooting interest in the bonnies this year just because they are a good local story.

Love this time of the year... :thumbsup:

And there goes the tournament for Syracuse. Center Fab Mello ruled out for the entire tournament, F%!!!!! My brackets are completely shot!!!! I had my Orange winning it all before the season ever started! And now with no Mello, I'm saying they get no farther than the Elite 8, if they manage to get past the Sweet 16.

And there goes the tournament for Syracuse. Center Fab Mello ruled out for the entire tournament, F%!!!!! My brackets are completely shot!!!! I had my Orange winning it all before the season ever started! And now with no Mello, I'm saying they get no farther than the Elite 8, if they manage to get past the Sweet 16.

whoa.... whoa..... WHOA !!! Didn't hear about this!

it will give Roc Christmas some valuable time though... he has the best name in basketball

Mother f####r, I turned in my bracket this morning and have Cuse in the championship game losing to Kentucky. They may not make it to the sweet 16 now.

That really hurts Cuse's chances of making it far at all. When he was out for three games during the season they were much worse defensively and got outrebounded badly. Also why they lost to Notre Dame is they didn't have the inside presence that made the zone work well. When the wings and points have to pinch in to help Christmas/Kieta inside then the other team can just rain open 3's.

This is not good for my national championship/final four hopes... :cry:

Archived