Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

If you go to a website designed to talk about that book you wouldn't give an honest opinion? You would say you liked where the story was heading and that the characters were developed even though you really thought the story was choppy and the characters seemed incomplete? It doesn't mean you put the book down. You should at least be able to be honest about where you think the story is at any given time.

Not everyone boisterously voices their opinion on a TV series during the character development portion of the pilot episode. If the series gets canceled, its natural to say "well that sucked", but it's not dishonest for not saying so sooner in my opinion.

Edited by Assquatch

Know what? I'm excited for Bills football again, thanks! :D

I'm here to help. :thumbsup:

Actually I am too. I am really interested to see how they improve the team in the draft and FA. There are some guys who should be UFAs who can help right away.

You mean many posters can only be honest once the player is gone?

When did I make that statement? I believe I said if the Sabres are committed to acquiring a #1 center than they will be able to find a deal for a #1 center. I said that with an established #1 center in mind. I also said it was going to come with a heavy price that the Sabres need to be willing to pay if they are going to get a deal done.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20970-2012-trade-rumor-thread-keep-the-deadline-thread-for-substantiated-stuff/page__view__findpost__p__363568

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20970-2012-trade-rumor-thread-keep-the-deadline-thread-for-substantiated-stuff/page__view__findpost__p__363616

Now. IF both Hodgson and Kassian reach their full potential--the premise that you raised in this thread (I beg you not to ask me to go searching again)--Hodgson is a #1C and Kassian is a #1PF.

And the Sabres paid the heavy price that you, yourself, said they should pay.

This is exemplary of why it seems like you're setting the table for failure. One week, it's, "Hey, whatever it takes, just get me that No. 1 C." Literally the next week, it's, "This guy might reach his full potential (#1C), but if the guy the Sabres traded also reaches his, well, the Sabres overpaid."

GLENDALE, Ariz. — By the time the second period rolled round Tuesday night, Zack Kassian felt better.

At least he could breathe again.

“I was nervous to start, but I think I got better as the game went on,” Kassian said after making his Vancouver Canucks debut in a 2-1 NHL shootout loss to the Phoenix Coyotes.

Asked when he finally got those butterflies under control, Kassian said: “I don’t think I settled down that much. I started breathing a bit after the first period, but for the most part I was pretty nervous the whole game.”

It really didn’t show. For the most part, Kassian was effective in the 12:27 of ice time he logged. He had five hits, one shot and won two of three faceoffs. He played 20 shifts and he’ll never forget the first one. It was with Daniel and Henrik Sedin after an early Canuck penalty-kill.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/29/zach-kassian-adjusts-to-life-with-canucks/

Do you attribute players suddenly reaching a new professional level who then strangely stop acting in ways they used to in the lower ranks, do you attribute that to them just forgetting their style of play or to the coaches in their new teams in the higher level forcing it out of them? I personally see it as the latter. Much like Fitzpatrick went from crazy gunslinger to timid INT thrower AFTER that presser where Gailey told the media he was going to "work with Ryan" on his penchant for throwing into double-coverage and taking too many chances with hsi throws. I mention that because of your comment about the "backup QB syndrome", which also illucidates your opinion regarding the Fitzpatrick argument.

Players act one way with one coach and then go to another team and many times you see them "revert" back to what they were like before their previous coach got their paws on them, and often they flourish. I expect that's going to be Kassian. As happy as I am to get us another Calder candidate on this club, I am going to always wish we had a coach that, in my opinion, didn't keep trying to get his players to focus on positioning over finishing checks to the point where he screws with their heads.

Don't forget their kids in juniors, full of confidence and they feel invulnerable. Plus their around kids their age, that is a big big point. Once they actually get to the big club their a little older, a little wiser and rather than 17 year old timmy you have to hit its a 35 year called Bertuzzi who's already ended someones career.

You think that won't change your game?

Well, Lucic is a pretty valuable commodity, but I would rather have Malkin, a healthy Crosby, Eric Staal, Stamkos, Getzlaf and likely a few others.

Every time.

Kassian was a lot to give up.....but forming lines starts with centers.

Players like Lucic are the final pieces, not the foundational ones. Mostly because they can't get themselves the puck.

speaking of whom: no goals in 17 games, and 2 in his last 34. :blink:

It's remarkable that Getzlaf's scoring touch hasn't returned during this late season surge by the Ducks. He was pretty visible last night but I'd have thought his goalscoring would have be a big part of Anaheim's run.

It's remarkable that Getzlaf's scoring touch hasn't returned during this late season surge by the Ducks. He was pretty visible last night but I'd have thought his goalscoring would have be a big part of Anaheim's run.

Goal scoring is super low at this point, but he has been dishing a lot of assists. Really though, the Ducks have gone on their run for the same reason the Sabres actually look like a competitive hockey team: goaltending. Hiller started playing the way he is capable of playing, and they suddenly become a good team again. Funny how that works.

I like what I saw out of Hodgson last night. I wasn't expecting him to instantly be a world beater (actually I would have been a little worried if he was - another Bernier/Torres). I could definitely see his hockey sense and there were quite a few times I noticed him tie up a trailing winger on the break to stop a scoring chance. That was impressive to me since he had only been with the team a day or so. He generated scoring chances for Ennis and Stafford. Hope he keeps improving for us going forward.

http://forums.sabres...post__p__363568

http://forums.sabres...post__p__363616

Now. IF both Hodgson and Kassian reach their full potential--the premise that you raised in this thread (I beg you not to ask me to go searching again)--Hodgson is a #1C and Kassian is a #1PF.

And the Sabres paid the heavy price that you, yourself, said they should pay.

This is exemplary of why it seems like you're setting the table for failure. One week, it's, "Hey, whatever it takes, just get me that No. 1 C." Literally the next week, it's, "This guy might reach his full potential (#1C), but if the guy the Sabres traded also reaches his, well, the Sabres overpaid."

The posts you referenced clearly show I was giving my opinion of what the Sabres need to do if they are "committed" to filling that #1 center position. I doubt the Sabres seriously think they solved their needs at center with this one trade. They still need a a top flight established #1 center. A prospect doesn't fit that bill and is certainly not what I was referring to. As I said, a Kassian package for a center like Getzlaf or Brown is far different than Kassian for a fellow prospect. I am extremely disappointed in the Sabres inability maximize Kassian's talents. I'm sure since Hodgson fits more of the mold he will have more chance to succeed.

The posts you referenced clearly show I was giving my opinion of what the Sabres need to do if they are "committed" to filling that #1 center position. I doubt the Sabres seriously think they solved their needs at center with this one trade. They still need a a top flight established #1 center. A prospect doesn't fit that bill and is certainly not what I was referring to. As I said, a Kassian package for a center like Getzlaf or Brown is far different than Kassian for a fellow prospect. I am extremely disappointed in the Sabres inability maximize Kassian's talents. I'm sure since Hodgson fits more of the mold he will have more chance to succeed.

If only Lombardi and Murray read this site so they would know how good Kassian really is.

Two teams with physical forwards that can score.

Yeah they are both filling the net while they fight for their playoff lives, aren't they? Your response also doesn't answer the point that Kassian was and still is way over hyped at this point. He may develop into the player you envision but Hodgson is miles ahead of him in terms of being ready to make a difference.

DeLuca, you are ignoring the comparison from what you said in that thread to what you said in this thread about each reaching their full potential. Again, you said that if they did reach full potential (again, that would be #1C for #1PF), this was a bad trade.

I mean, what if Kassian completely kicked ass in LA, and Brown continued his recent pattern of relative mediocrity here? (And don't even try to tell me that Brown is kicking ass, because his numbers are Roy-like.) How is that better than what the Sabs did?

I don't know what to say anymore on this one. It's pretty clear to me.

Edited by Eleven