Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Kassian has so many attributes associated with him that he has never shown at the professional level.

This is worse than the backup QB syndrome.

To be fair though, I'm getting a feeling that the Sabres community has turned a little Boston-ish on Kassian here. That fanbase and even officials in the organization (more than most, it seems) have a tendency to tear down some outgoing players, managers, etc. Look no further than Terry Francona and Johnny Damon.

I know Kassian's NHL stint(s) were somewhat underwhelming, but I've been somewhat shocked to see how quickly the Buffalo fanbase has turned on Kassian. Maybe it's because of the high expectations on Vancouver's end, but you'd think he was absolute trash the way some people are depicting him.

Edited by Double-J
  • Like (+1) 1

Cody for Zack sounds like a trade on Saved by the Bell, and not a trade of NHL prospects.

To be fair though, I'm getting a feeling that the Sabres community has turned a little Boston-ish on Kassian here. That fanbase (more than most, it seems) has a tendency to tear down some outgoing players, managers, etc. Look no further than Terry Francona and Johnny Damon.

I know Kassian's NHL stint(s) were somewhat underwhelming, but I've been somewhat shocked to see how quickly the Buffalo fanbase has turned on Kassian. Maybe it's because of the high expectations on Vancouver's end, but you'd think he was absolute trash the way some people are depicting him.

I agree. The Buffalo fan base, like many, is extremely reactionary. I think part of it is that they feel somewhat betrayed that he's gone, when theyve built him up in their minds.

The old "Hey I dont need you, you suck anyway" that you say to an old gf.

Cody for Zack sounds like a trade on Saved by the Bell, and not a trade of NHL prospects.

I agree. The Buffalo fan base, like many, is extremely reactionary. I think part of it is that they feel somewhat betrayed that he's gone, when theyve built him up in their minds.

The old "Hey I dont need you, you suck anyway" that you say to an old gf.

So in trading Gaustad and a 4th for a 1st, Darcy got a Kelly for a Screech and random nerd?

To be fair though, I'm getting a feeling that the Sabres community has turned a little Boston-ish on Kassian here. That fanbase and even officials in the organization (more than most, it seems) have a tendency to tear down some outgoing players, managers, etc. Look no further than Terry Francona and Johnny Damon.

I Won't tear him down mainly because I had high hopes for him becoming that player and I was excited about his potential. Some people have to tear him down as he goes out the door to make themselves feel better about what they gave up ..He is only 21 and 20 games into his career. I think he may become 'that' player in a winning atmosphere like Vancouver? Who knows.

People are letting their critical observations of Kassian be known because there is no longer any rationale for them to "wait and see". We no longer have a vested interest in what he does. Everyone is free to give their postmortem thoughts on his time here because when else are we going to do it? There was no event, no timetable, no incentive for people to join in conversation en masse and give their final thoughts on the kid until now.

I did a quick search, just to see, who HAS been talking about Kassian (with me), because I know I've been talking about him, and watching him since training camp.

Pretty interesting that there was a clear arc from neutral (unknown) to positive, back to neutral (not understanding what his problem was), to mild disatisfaction over his play right into early-mid February. I think everyone had been relatively realistic, too.

I think that those who haven't been "paying attention" have been forced, now, to accept that Kassian was not equal to the Concept of Kassian. Kassian, himself, seemed to want to disown the Concept of Kassian; he was clearly trying to reinvent his rep while he was between the NHL and the AHL.

It's no wonder that the trade, then, has caused some confusion, because Kassian's short career here was nothing but confusing thanks to the contrast between expectations and reality.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I've been reading from a few posters how fans are trashing Kassian. I've yet to see one post that does. If offering an honest critique of his play to date, which includes the good with the bad, is tanamount to trashing him, I don't know what to say. I think a lot of the sensitivity is rooted in the enormous amount of optimism we've invested in him since he was selected in the draft. It's easier for some to blame Lindy Ruff and how he's "ruined" him than come to grips with the fact that he's not yet the player we all imagined.

He's a 21 year old rookie adjusting to the NHL and he's not there yet. Just like 99% of the rookies who enter the league. It took a promising player with potential to land another with promising potential. That's all. Lets wish him well and get on with it.

GO SABRES!!!

I don't feel like digging up the post I'm replying to, but this is in regards to the criticisms of Kassian that have occurred since the trading deadline and why they are coming out now....

People are letting their critical observations of Kassian be known because there is no longer any rationale for them to "wait and see". We no longer have a vested interest in what he does. Everyone is free to give their postmortem thoughts on his time here because when else are we going to do it? There was no event, no timetable, no incentive for people to join in conversation en masse and give their final thoughts on the kid until now.

So no, it isn't that there is a need to come down on him because he's gone - it is just that now is the time to post your "snapshot in time" thoughts of where he was with the Sabres. The fact that I hear Rob Ray saying there have been a lot of organization rumblings about Kassian and his time with the Sabres and in Rochester carries a lot of weight. He also said yesterday they were quietly shopping him since December. This all amounts to Kassian's performance evaluation to date. And while we were all willing to see what he matured into, we no longer have to wait. We no longer have to hope. We no longer have to dismiss any troubling signs. We can just post what we saw and move on...

This is a good point generally and I think does account for much of the Kassian commentary here since Monday.

However, I do think there is also (regrettably) more than a little of this going on:

I Won't tear him down mainly because I had high hopes for him becoming that player and I was excited about his potential. Some people have to tear him down as he goes out the door to make themselves feel better about what they gave up ..He is only 21 and 20 games into his career. I think he may become 'that' player in a winning atmosphere like Vancouver? Who knows.

I've been reading from a few posters how fans are trashing Kassian. I've yet to see one post that does. If offering an honest critique of his play to date, which includes the good with the bad, is tanamount to trashing him, I don't know what to say. I think a lot of the sensitivity is rooted in the enormous amount of optimism we've invested in him since he was selected in the draft. It's easier for some to blame Lindy Ruff and how he's "ruined" him than come to grips with the fact that he's not yet the player we all imagined.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to what I'm seeing on Twitter then. But this always happens (in any sport) where prospect hugging is part of being an educated fan. Especially in the internet age where more and more is known about these players. Heck, I'd suspect that even fans who casually follow the team are at least peripherally aware of their team's #1 or #2 prospect.

I did a quick search, just to see, who HAS been talking about Kassian (with me), because I know I've been talking about him, and watching him since training camp.

[snip]

that is just outstanding stuff.

not sure if this was already linked upthread - i did not see it, if so.

Ruff on Kassian: "I liked what he was doing on the offensive side of it for the most part," Ruff said today of Kassian, who had three goals and seven points in 27 games with Buffalo. "Good puck protection and hanging onto pucks. I’ve got a curiosity on where his physical game is going to go, and that’s it.

"But he’s a young player. You never know with young players. It’s a little bit of hit and miss. There’s a lot of inconsistency usually, so in his case there’s a lot there. It’s whether he’s going to get it to that full potential."

http://blogs.buffalo...-potential.html

i fully understand fans and the media conducting a post mortem of kassian, but i see no point, and a lot of downside, to the coach of the former player engaging in this sort of stuff. especially the bit about the "physical game." why give the guy an additional reason to take a run at someone when the teams play in a few days, or at any point in the future?

imo, ruff should've stuck to bland platitudes about how they like kassian a lot, he's a young guy with a lot of potential and promise, and we like what we got in cody.

Edited by That Aud Smell

i fully understand fans and the media conducting a post mortem of kassian, but i see no point, and a lot of downside, to the coach of the former player engaging in this sort of stuff. especially the bit about the "physical game." why give the guy an additional reason to take a run at someone when the teams play in a few days, or at any point in the future?

imo, ruff should've stuck to bland platitudes about how they like kassian a lot, he's a young guy with a lot of potential and promise, and we like what we got in cody.

I think Ruff putting the lack-of-toughness onus on Kassian is an attempt to try and allay the calls (fair or not) that he hates said toughness.

I think Ruff putting the lack-of-toughness onus on Kassian is an attempt to try and allay the calls (fair or not) that he hates said toughness.

you think so? i don't think ruff hears those claims, or, if he does, that he heeds them one bit.

i think he was just trying to downplay the quality of the player that the team sent to vancouver and amplify the notion that the sabres got the better of the deal.

you think so? i don't think ruff hears those claims, or, if he does, that he heeds them one bit.

i think he was just trying to downplay the quality of the player that the team sent to vancouver and amplify the notion that the sabres got the better of the deal.

Maybe he doesn't heed them, but I highly doubt he hasn't been paying attention to the fact that the media has, post-Lucic/Miller, labeled his team as the softest in the NHL. Let alone the talk on hockey message boards. :D

Maybe he doesn't heed them, but I highly doubt he hasn't been paying attention to the fact that the media has, post-Lucic/Miller, labeled his team as the softest in the NHL. Let alone the talk on hockey message boards. :D

I realize a team is generally a reflection of the HC, but isn't there a big difference between these two statements?

Absolutely. The Lucic game was an afront to the hockey Gods. They broke the code for the whole world to see. The thing is, and I know the usual suspects may rip me for this, I think Ruff was just as surprised by the player's reaction as we were. There have been so many times in his coaching history (not to mention his playing history) where he's deliberately sent out a posse to clean up after an event on the ice. The Neal hit on Drury comes to mind. But Lucic needed to be answered IMMEDIATELY by whomever was on the ice at the time. That's what the code calls for. And Ruff couldn't do anything but watch.

GO SABRES!!!

I realize a team is generally a reflection of the HC, but isn't there a big difference between these two statements?

Not necessarily. Vancouver fans, and the NHL media in general, has been labeling Kassian as the Lucic-killer, the piece that was missing from the Canucks' run to the Stanley Cup when they got pushed around by Boston. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch then to wonder why Buffalo, an infamously soft team, would give up that kind of player when it seems like that would be the kind of player they need ('concept' or otherwise).

or he could be just being honest about why they let the guy go.

Not necessarily. Vancouver fans, and the NHL media in general, has been labeling Kassian as the Lucic-killer, the piece that was missing from the Canucks' run to the Stanley Cup when they got pushed around by Boston. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch then to wonder why Buffalo, an infamously soft team, would give up that kind of player when it seems like that would be the kind of player they need ('concept' or otherwise).

The Canucks should concentrate more on having a Marchand-killer because he did a helluva lot more to intimidate the Canucks than Lucic did.

GO SABRES!!!

This group (both Vancouver fans and media) has not spent 7 months watching Kassian up close. I thought the same thing about Kassian and held the same hopes in reserve--- I still have a modicum of respect for Ruff and trust that he may see something in him that is a signifier he may not develop into that guy. Rob Ray and Paul Hamilton expressed similar reservations yesterday, and as much as I hated the trade initially, I have to admit I've been disappointed Kassian didn't immediately live up to my bloated and unrealistic expectations. There may be some truth to the fact he doesn't have that killer instinct, but time will tell.

Edited by Punch

And fans sometimes wonder why coaches/players do nothing but give cliche after cliche after cliche. Heaven forbid they be honest, and have interesting things to say, then they have the media/fans jumping down their throat. Ruff is honest about some reasons Kassian was parted with, Miller is honest about his feelings regarding the Gaustad trade....and they get micro-analyzed and criticized for what they said. I'd stick to the cliches too.

It was either a 1-0 game or tied at that point. Not sure he wants to fight and possibly put his team down. Wait till they are beating the sabres 5-1 on saturday night and he'll dance.

But that's already not what we were hoping for with the "Concept of Zack Kassian." I wanted someone who was ready to fight anyone, anywhere, at any time. And 1-0 or 1-1 early in the game is a fine time to drop the gloves. Why not? If you're tough and going to win the fight anyway, why not get your team pumped up?

Not only is Lucic an amazing fighter, I've never seen him decline to fight. (Maybe he has, but I've never seen it.) Not only does he not shy away from trouble, he goes out of his way to start it. He basically challenged every single Sabres player to a fight by blatantly smashing into their star goalie.