Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

By that same token, if he's successful, isn't it too early to say that he wouldn't have been equally successful here?

No, because every power forward type has failed miserably under Ruff. Dumont if you want to call him one, was fine. He started elsewhere and did even better once leaving Buffalo.

Pyatt, Torres, Bernier, Stafford, Gaustad..........

And we've already been told the Sabres were shopping him for months, and from some of the "most faithful" that Kassian just doesn't have it in him or fancies himself not a tough guy.

This is the first guy with big-league potential to "not meet his concept", yet is young enough to go elsewhere and forget Buffalo ever happened. I'm sure in 2015 when he has 28 goals and 120 PIM, everyone will have excuses. I'm saying right now if he fails, it isn't on Ruff. He only had the blood supply to his nads choked off for 2 years. Mild atrophy.....not Lindy Testicular Necrosis.

I don't buy this Kassian-Will-Kill-All-Sabres meme. Kassian is gone because he couldn't find that part of his game quick enough. He knows the Sabres don't play that way if they don't have to, and clearly he abides by that rule, too. If anything, he, like the rest of his new team, will be motivated to try and score on Miller, if Miller is the starter. Being the one to score first on a goalie who has had back-to-back shutouts is probably far and away more important to him than busting up the bodies of his former team mates (and friends).

Did you see Kassian with Lapierre last night by any chance? Watch out, little Sabres, skate fast :D

Heard an interview on 1040 out of Vancouver today and he called the sabres underachievers. Can't really say he's wrong and it was my feeling he was talking about the organization and not the players. He also said in response to the question as to why he turned down the offer to fight against the coyotes tough guy that he isn't going to waste his time fighting a guy that plays 4 minutes a game and that the canucks have given him the go ahead to fight if its from a big hit or whatever but they want him to concentrate on playing hockey. Sounded like they feel like he does and that they want him to be an all around player and not just a goon. Can't blame him for that too.

No, because every power forward type has failed miserably under Ruff. Dumont if you want to call him one, was fine. He started elsewhere and did even better once leaving Buffalo.

And we've already been told the Sabres were shopping him for months, and from some of the "most faithful" that Kassian just doesn't have it in him or fancies himself not a tough guy.

This is the first guy with big-league potential to "not meet his concept", yet is young enough to go elsewhere and forget Buffalo ever happened. I'm sure in 2015 when he has 28 goals and 120 PIM, everyone will have excuses. I'm saying right now if he fails, it isn't on Ruff. He only had the blood supply to his nads choked off for 2 years. Mild atrophy.....not Lindy Testicular Necrosis.

We're never going to agree on the rest...but for the love of whatever it is you love, can you please please please PLEASE stop mentioning Bernier? He was terrible before he got here, he was terrible here, and he was terrible upon leaving. Complete scrub. That is all.

Heard an interview on 1040 out of Vancouver today and he called the sabres underachievers. Can't really say he's wrong and it was my feeling he was talking about the organization and not the players. He also said in response to the question as to why he turned down the offer to fight against the coyotes tough guy that he isn't going to waste his time fighting a guy that plays 4 minutes a game and that the canucks have given him the go ahead to fight if its from a big hit or whatever but they want him to concentrate on playing hockey. Sounded like they feel like he does and that they want him to be an all around player and not just a goon. Can't blame him for that too.

In other words, they want him doing exactly what the Sabres did, yet get ripped for on practically a minutely basis?

You have got to be kidding. That list indicts Ruff? Their is no way you can reasonably and factually argue that any of those players would have been better if they had not played here and the only one that wouldn't get you laughed out of any intelligent (hockey related) conversation is Pyatt. Its way too early on Stafford and one of the most respected GM's in hockey thinks that Ruff did a good enough job with a late round, fringe player pick that he is now worth a 1st round draft choice.

That being said, history is filled with players that we will always wonder about. Would Montana been the same if Marv Levy had convinced his GM in Kansas City to take him? My favorite example in hockey is the story of Mike Modano and Pierre Larouche. Would Modano have listened to any other coach besides Hitchcock or would he have been doomed to a career like Larouche? Some great indvidual years but over way too soon? Who knows.

• Like (+1) 4

You have got to be kidding. That list indicts Ruff? Their is no way you can reasonably and factually argue that any of those players would have been better if they had not played here and the only one that wouldn't get you laughed out of any intelligent (hockey related) conversation is Pyatt. Its way too early on Stafford and one of the most respected GM's in hockey thinks that Ruff did a good enough job with a late round, fringe player pick that he is now worth a 1st round draft choice.

That being said, history is filled with players that we will always wonder about. Would Montana been the same if Marv Levy had convinced his GM in Kansas City to take him? My favorite example in hockey is the story of Mike Modano and Pierre Larouche. Would Modano have listened to any other coach besides Hitchcock or would he have been doomed to a career like Larouche? Some great indvidual years but over way too soon? Who knows.

Give me a name of a 200lb forward who could score 15 goals and throw 100 hits that developed under Ruff? Grosek?

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/zack-kassian-on-team1040/

Gragnani couldn't even fake a good word about Lindy Ruff and admitted it to the hosts. Starts a little before 3 min mark.

Kassian was pretty blah...other than I'm glad he got traded because he claims he never ate chicken wings. WTF?

Give me a name of a 200lb forward who could score 15 goals and throw 100 hits that developed under Ruff? Grosek?

How about the one you mentioned -- Dumont? He was drafted #4 overall in 1996, given up on by the Islanders as a washout, came to Buffalo in 2000 and had 4 20-goal seasons playing for Lindy.

How about the one you mentioned -- Dumont? He was drafted #4 overall in 1996, given up on by the Islanders as a washout, came to Buffalo in 2000 and had 4 20-goal seasons playing for Lindy.

right....I gave you the name as maybe the only one....and he went on to get a 75% raise from what Darcy turned down in paying him once he left.

I know what my eyes see.

right....I gave you the name as maybe the only one....and he went on to get a 75% raise from what Darcy turned down in paying him once he left.

I know what my eyes see.

Leaving aside the high likelihood that letting JP go was a TG/LQ decision, what does the raise have to do with whether or not he developed under Lindy?

Leaving aside the high likelihood that letting JP go was a TG/LQ decision, what does the raise have to do with whether or not he developed under Lindy?

The 1 guy you can name in 15 years that you can honestly say Ruff had a major part in developing, and he moves on to have even more success.

People like to point to the guys who didn't....but all those were lifelong Sabres.

It's is simple as pie. Or is it pi?

The 1 guy you can name in 15 years that you can honestly say Ruff had a major part in developing, and he moves on to have even more success.

People like to point to the guys who didn't....but all those were lifelong Sabres.

It's is simple as pie. Or is it pi?

Could it be that he was the only one with top talent, he developed well under Ruff, and would have continued his growth in Buffalo had OSP shelled out the cash?

No one got to continue to develop in Buffalo for 8 years. If the got good, they we're priced out of town. Before 2003, can you really say Ruff had a single prospect in the mold you define?

http://www.teamradio...an-on-team1040/

Gragnani couldn't even fake a good word about Lindy Ruff and admitted it to the hosts. Starts a little before 3 min mark.

Kassian was pretty blah...other than I'm glad he got traded because he claims he never ate chicken wings. WTF?

Ya I almost coughed up a wing when I heard the host ask that. I'm not sure if its just Van. but the radio takes jabs at the city of Buffalo all the time. Why would you ever want to live there, yadda yadda yadda. All the usual stuff. They like to call the sabres sad sack etc. Its kind of tiring considering when this franchise was lighting it up prior to the black day we all remember the canucks were the sad sack org. I think the debacle of letting Drury and Briere go kind of started that whole meme.

http://www.teamradio...an-on-team1040/

So if Stafford scores 2 more goals and gets 18 more hits then he is your protypical, developed by Lindy, power forward?

• Like (+1) 4

So if Stafford scores 2 more goals and gets 18 more hits then he is your protypical, developed by Lindy, power forward?

There you go. See what happens when you set the bar low? And the great thing is, he only costs $4 million!

By the way...Paul Hamilton says Hodgson refuses to answer the question if he asked to be traded. That's always encouraging from someone I'm told has leadership potential. He'd rather be getting more minutes on one of the worst teams in the league than being a #3 center on the best team in the league who was 1 goal from winning a Stanley Cup last year.

Kassian never ate chicken wings? Maybe he is a fruitcake. How do you not eat a freaking chicken wing in Buffalo? I'm sure even Ryan Miller puts down the tofu and patchuli a few times a year and says "F-it.....yum..yum..yum..."

There you go. See what happens when you set the bar low? And the great thing is, he only costs $4 million!

By the way...Paul Hamilton says Hodgson refuses to answer the question if he asked to be traded. That's always encouraging from someone I'm told has leadership potential. He'd rather be getting more minutes on one of the worst teams in the league than being a #3 center on the best team in the league who was 1 goal from winning a Stanley Cup last year.

Kassian never ate chicken wings? Maybe he is a fruitcake. How do you not eat a freaking chicken wing in Buffalo? I'm sure even Ryan Miller puts down the tofu and patchuli a few times a year and says "F-it.....yum..yum..yum..."

So you set the parameters, now its not a good enough quotient? Its just another example of how you see players on other teams differently then you view players you see 82 times per year. Stafford is 35th in the league among right wingers in hits and in the top 20 when you eliminate 3rd and 4th liners but somehow you and your disciples think there are all theses forwards averaging 3 or 4 hits per game and scoring 30 goals while leading their teams to the Cup and delivering babies while they are at it.

As for Hodgson, I'm not surprised you go with the negative spin as opposed to a player that knows that some things are private matters.

• Like (+1) 2

By game time tomorrow night Cody will be a basket case from all the media. They've been on the trade request question since the deadline and won't let it go. Who cares? Today they were saying that Rich Winter is his fourth player agent. This kid and his father could turn out to be a colossal headache for this organization. I wonder if Darcy did his homework on this kid. I'm hoping for the best. The kid seems o.k. but perhaps he's surrounded himself with idiots.

So you set the parameters, now its not a good enough quotient? Its just another example of how you see players on other teams differently then you view players you see 82 times per year. Stafford is 35th in the league among right wingers in hits and in the top 20 when you eliminate 3rd and 4th liners but somehow you and your disciples think there are all theses forwards averaging 3 or 4 hits per game and scoring 30 goals while leading their teams to the Cup and delivering babies while they are at it.

As for Hodgson, I'm not surprised you go with the negative spin as opposed to a player that knows that some things are private matters.

I set realistic paramaters.....guess who fits them 3 of the 5 years since leaving Buffalo?

Taylor Pyatt

Guess who has yet to do so?

Drew Stafford

So if Stafford somehow pulls it off this year.....I'll give him to you for $4 million.......then you and your Darcy/Lindy appologists can give me Taylor Pyatt at a 60% strike rate for $1 million

Sound fair?

Nope....Kassian is way too young and hasn't been around the Sabres long enough to be ruined for life. That's why I am so excited to see this progression. If Kassian fails, it isn't on Ruff and the Sabres.

That's always been my point. The guys who go away from Buffalo and don't progress....usually life long Sabres. Kotalik, Kalinin, Max....those types of guys. It's like letting an orcha whale who spent his whole life in captivity out in the wild. He's dead.

This will be the first true power forward who started in Buffalo and got out before the age most guys hit the NHL.

max had one of his best years in atlanta playing with some high scoring russian

By game time tomorrow night Cody will be a basket case from all the media. They've been on the trade request question since the deadline and won't let it go. Who cares? Today they were saying that Rich Winter is his fourth player agent. This kid and his father could turn out to be a colossal headache for this organization. I wonder if Darcy did his homework on this kid. I'm hoping for the best. The kid seems o.k. but perhaps he's surrounded himself with idiots.

How could Darcy fail to do his homework? Not like Dominic Moore had a bum wrist, Raffi Torres was fat and out of shape, or Steve Bernier had no work ethic.

Hodgson's father is not a popular fellow in Canada in some circles. I never knew that, but I like to do my homework. So what we have puzzled together the past 4 days is that

1) Hodgson wanted off the best team in the league

2) Darcy valued the #20-30 pick over Hodgson

3) Gragnani hates Lindy Ruff

4) Kassian never ate chicken wings

5) Gaustad was a good deal but is now dodging tornadoes

I set realistic paramaters.....guess who fits them 3 of the 5 years since leaving Buffalo?

Taylor Pyatt

Guess who has yet to do so?

Drew Stafford

So if Stafford somehow pulls it off this year.....I'll give him to you for $4 million.......then you and your Darcy/Lindy appologists can give me Taylor Pyatt at a 60% strike rate for $1 million

Sound fair?

ok so would you rather have drew stafford last year or taylor pyatt?

How could Darcy fail to do his homework? Not like Dominic Moore had a bum wrist, Raffi Torres was fat and out of shape, or Steve Bernier had no work ethic. Hodgson's father is not a popular fellow in Canada in some circles. I never knew that, but I like to do my homework. So what we have puzzled together the past 4 days is that 1) Hodgson wanted off the best team in the league 2) Darcy valued the #20-30 pick over Hodgson 3) Gragnani hates Lindy Ruff 4) Kassian never ate chicken wings 5) Gaustad was a good deal but is now dodging tornadoes

I think that #2 was the other way around.

Are we really using Marc-Andre Gragnani's opinion against Ruff now? The kid was awful, was benched for being awful, and he's supposed to be glowing about the guy who benched him? This is the same guy, who shortly after the Lucic incident, was asked about the lack of hitting. What does he say? "I don't know, I'd rather score some more goals." Not exactly the most media savvy.

And that's even beside the point. I'm sure he's the only player in the history of sports who didn't get along with his coach. In fact, Ruff is the only coach who ever has players who don't like him. It's never happened before, or anywhere else.

There are plenty of good reasons to dislike Ruff without pulling out complete BS. He's bad at putting/keeping lines together, he has too short of a rope with young players and too long of a rope with veterans, his coaches a style you dislike, he's bad at goalie rotations. Pick something. But christ, using a former player (who sucked) and was benched, saying he didn't get along with the coach who benched him as criticism? :wallbash:

• Like (+1) 1