February 22nd...

spndnchz

i remember watching that ottawa game on TV. just brutal.

i took the day off from work and drove around some remote parts of utah (though they couldn't have been *that* remote ... i had good enough cell coverage to stream the entire press conference. i remember thinking, "the end is near ... the cup is coming."

i still feel that way. i know this season has sucked big fat RT, and yes--there are pieces that need to be added ... but i still get the feeling that things are going to change. *immensely*.

I was really hoping this would be about 1980 instead.

In one of the most dramatic upsets in Olympic history, the underdog U.S. hockey team, made up of college players, defeats the four-time defending gold-medal winning Soviet team at the XIII Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid, New York. Happened today, in 1980.

From what my parents told me about it, most people didn't even watch it live cause it was on at like 3am on a tuesday. Most americans saw the re-play.

In one of the most dramatic upsets in Olympic history, the underdog U.S. hockey team, made up of college players, defeats the four-time defending gold-medal winning Soviet team at the XIII Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid, New York. Happened today, in 1980.

From what my parents told me about it, most people didn't even watch it live cause it was on at like 3am on a tuesday. Most americans saw the re-play.

Thanks for adding that. I couldn't because of the media limit.

No. 1980 Olympics were in Lake Placid, NY, so the game was played during the day, but was recorded and played later that night on TV. So, pretty much nobody in the US saw it live.

No. 1980 Olympics were in Lake Placid, NY, so the game was played during the day, but was recorded and played later that night on TV. So, pretty much nobody in the US saw it live.

Right thats what it was, wasn't born yet so I wouldn't know. Thanks for clarifying it.

i have some memory of a tab* commercial cutting in to interrupt a critical moment.

or was that in the gold medal game, which was, i presume, aired live?

* that's a defunct diet cola, for you young 'uns.

i have some memory of a tab* commercial cutting in to interrupt a critical moment.

or was that in the gold medal game, which was, i presume, aired live?

* that's a defunct diet cola, for you young 'uns.

Still wildly popular in Botswana apparently:

http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/ft/detail.jsp?region_id=&country_id=&drink_type_id=&all_reg_selected=&brand_id=279

Right thats what it was, wasn't born yet so I wouldn't know. Thanks for clarifying it.

Just to twist your nipple a bit - you are old enough to know they wouldn't play hockey games at 3:00am in New York - right? haha

That Ottawa clip always makes me well up with pride. I remember watching that game. Wow. What a magical few seasons post lockout.

That seems like ages ago, now. Whatever, I guess we're heard and written about it all before at this point.

I *don't* get a sense of pride out of that Ottawa clip. In my mind we never did get payback for what Neil did to Drury. I feel like that incident is a debt that appears will go unpaid.

I don't view it like that - I see it in context of the entire season.

Probably the last time Stafford was a real "man" too.

it's funny. in my memory, stafford was way more resolute in how he went after neil. watching it again and focusing on that point, i see how stafford initially had the right instinct (he circled right around to find who did it), but then was awfully reluctant once he realized who he was going to have to tussle with. and he probably took more lumps as a result of his hesitation.

EDITS:

rayzer on drury: "yeah, he'll be FINE." commentary from another era.

love that other angle that shows mair POPPING spezza. i wish we still had a guy like mair. mccormick is serviceable, but i prefer mair in his heyday.

I *don't* get a sense of pride out of that Ottawa clip. In my mind we never did get payback for what Neil did to Drury. I feel like that incident is a debt that appears will go unpaid.

What would you have had them do? It's exactly what many wanted after the Miller incident here. You go after our star, we go after yours : Ottawa :: You go after our goalie, we go after yours : Boston.

Just to twist your nipple a bit - you are old enough to know they wouldn't play hockey games at 3:00am in New York - right? haha

Dude it was the 1980's, i heard they did crazy things like think coke bottle glasses looked good with a mustache, arrest people based on the assumption of them being a communist, and actually used pay phones! Crazy stuff. Lol. They could of played a game at 3:30am, I mean hulk hogan body slammed Andre the Giant!

Thanks for posting that Ottawa fight - never saw that one before - that was awesome! Lindy Ruff actually ANIMATED about something - don't see that much any more - he just kind of has that stony unchanging sourpuss look on his face these days.

Did see the Miracle on Ice live. Back in those days stayed up many nights til dawn - and somehow still made it to work. :)

Archived