February 22nd...

spndnchz

Thanks for posting that Ottawa fight - never saw that one before - that was awesome!

right here, i was thinking this poster must be a kid who was too young to be watching the "run 'em" game when it happened five years ago.

then went on to read this

Did see the Miracle on Ice live. Back in those days stayed up many nights til dawn - and somehow still made it to work. :)

and i was all like :blink:

right here, i was thinking this poster must be a kid who was too young to be watching the "run 'em" game when it happened five years ago.

then went on to read this

and i was all like :blink:

Especially since we've established that it was played in the afternoon, not 3:30 AM EST.

Especially since we've established that it was played in the afternoon, not 3:30 AM EST.

It could be a trick!

I went to the Ottawa game. The place where Drury got blind-sided was right where I was sitting. Nobody saw the hit because he had shot the puck already. Then all of the sudden we saw a stick go flying in the air and Drury was on the ice.

The best part? I got it all on film from my seat. The footage isn't the best because all heck was breaking loose and i was too busy watching all the chaos. Who wants me to upload it to YouTube tonight and post it?

Ever since that moment, I've hated Ottawa. Just look at my avatar. Although due to events in recent years, I hate Boston just a bit more.

I can clearly recall watching the Miracle on Ice - just didn't recall what time of day it was. I do know in 1980 I stayed up late - a lot. Now thinking about it, 3 AM wouldn't make much sense for a game played in Lake Placid - unless you were living overseas somewhere - LOL. Had to take place during the afternoon or evening.

I went to the Ottawa game. The place where Drury got blind-sided was right where I was sitting. Nobody saw the hit because he had shot the puck already. Then all of the sudden we saw a stick go flying in the air and Drury was on the ice.

The best part? I got it all on film from my seat. The footage isn't the best because all heck was breaking loose and i was too busy watching all the chaos. Who wants me to upload it to YouTube tonight and post it?

Ever since that moment, I've hated Ottawa. Just look at my avatar. Although due to events in recent years, I hate Boston just a bit more.

PM me the link?

I can clearly recall watching the Miracle on Ice - just didn't recall what time of day it was. I do know in 1980 I stayed up late - a lot. Now thinking about it, 3 AM wouldn't make much sense for a game played in Lake Placid - unless you were living overseas somewhere - LOL. Had to take place during the afternoon or evening.

Isn't that how they caught the spy in Stalag 17? He said he was sitting down to dinner when he heard about Pearl Harbor, which meant he was in Germany. Who exactly are you, Jsixspd, who?!? :)

What would you have had them do? It's exactly what many wanted after the Miller incident here. You go after our star, we go after yours : Ottawa :: You go after our goalie, we go after yours : Boston.

Neil was never paid back. I don't care that Spezza took a few punches. I've wanted to see Neil laying still on the ice with blood streaming from a cut in his head ever since he laid out Drury.

You didn't say you stayed up to watch the Miracle on Ice game until 3AM. I just took it to mean you were watching all of the Olympics so you were watching things like curling and cross country skiing that they didn't show until very late at night.

(your cover is now safe again comrade.)

Thanks for posting that Ottawa fight - never saw that one before - that was awesome! Lindy Ruff actually ANIMATED about something - don't see that much any more - he just kind of has that stony unchanging sourpuss look on his face these days.

That was nothing, wait till you see him when Thomas Vanek takes his next penalty, or goes offsides.

No. 1980 Olympics were in Lake Placid, NY, so the game was played during the day, but was recorded and played later that night on TV. So, pretty much nobody in the US saw it live.

I think I watched it on CBC live in the afternoon. Canadians always had better Olympic coverage then the States IMO. When I lived back in BFLO I always (the majority at least) watched Canadian coverage.

I'm really enjoying watching this game again. I think the one thing I like is that you never get the impending feeling that someone is going to get killed. Body checks were a lot more tactical, intending to slow the man down rather than hurt him.

Here's a thought, let's eliminate egregious hitting from the game in all forms. It doesn't need to be there.

Also, is that Jamie Farr at 48:49???

Neil was never paid back. I don't care that Spezza took a few punches. I've wanted to see Neil laying still on the ice with blood streaming from a cut in his head ever since he laid out Drury.

The next game would've been a good time to do it. Feb 24th was a great game but the Sabres focused too much on hitting and got behind early.

Miller giving up the puck behind the net for the winning goal didn't help either.

I happened to catch it at the right time. The Brawl! Never before seen footage...

Awe.Some. How in the hell did you stop yourself from screaming the whole time? I went to this game with my Dad and even he was swearing up a storm.

Sadly, this will probably never happen - guys like Neil always seem to escape direct retribution. I'm reminded of a little rat named Ken Linesman. He was always cheap-shotting opponents and then letting the bigger players on the team defend him. I always wanted to see him get clobbered, but it never did, to my knowledge. Maybe later in life his knees went bad or he has other issues from playing, but somehow that just doesn't seem enough.

Sadly, this will probably never happen - guys like Neil always seem to escape direct retribution. I'm reminded of a little rat named Ken Linesman. He was always cheap-shotting opponents and then letting the bigger players on the team defend him. I always wanted to see him get clobbered, but it never did, to my knowledge. Maybe later in life his knees went bad or he has other issues from playing, but somehow that just doesn't seem enough.

Lee Fogolin got him good when Lee was with Edmonton. Smashed Linesman's nose up good by bashing his face into the ice.

Lee Fogolin got him good when Lee was with Edmonton. Smashed Linesman's nose up good by bashing his face into the ice.

this is a good point, dance.

the one i recall is when a shirtless rob ray (with a busted up hand) got hold of claude lemieux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkKlnlyPis

we were taping that game on vhs, and delighted in slow-mo'ing the moment when lemieux clearly said nnnnnooooooo [slow-mo audio] at the sight of a charging ray. not sure if that angle shows up on this clip. [EDIT: there it is at the ~2:30 mark.]

did anyone ever give dale hunter his just desserts?

Awe.Some. How in the hell did you stop yourself from screaming the whole time? I went to this game with my Dad and even he was swearing up a storm.

Your dad must be Lindy Ruff... lol

Also, right after the fight, they showed a quick video of this on the jumbotron... Everyone went crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8BfH1Q_zM

Nobody comes into our house, and pushes us around...... That's the part they played.

I wish that were still the case today.

Archived