What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Read um. You'll love Vince Flynn and his main character Mitch Rapp.

I'm an engineer by trade, a former competitive shooter, and a reloader. I geek out on firearms and the science behind them. What I enjoyed most about those Hunter novels (besides the well conceived stories) was that he was factually accurate about all of the firearm stuff. You almost never get that out of a fictional novel. I don't know if Hunter is a gunny or if he researched a ton, but the technical part of his plot line was dead on accurate. First time I've seen such technical accuracy in "fluffy" work of fiction.

I don’t think they are that technical, but I am no where near your knowldege on the firearms side. I fix teeth. They are good action novels, with some good covert insight.

The parts that dealt with actual long distance shooting, the snippits on long range ballistics, loading rounds for maximum precision, how the rifle was modified, even the setup for the conclusion (which I won't spoil here) all legit and accurate.

Have any of you read The Road? Thinking about picking it up, but would like to have a heads up.

I'd start with All the Pretty Horses, if you're new to McCarthy. Or maybe Suttree. Or even better, if you can get your hands on a copy, The Stonemason (a play).

(The reason is that most of McCarthy's stuff is set in the real world. The Road, set in a post-apocalyptic world, is almost genre fiction and isn't really representative of the rest of his work.)

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

I didn't know Taibbi had a book out. I'll have to take a look at it.

Edited by Eleven

1, Last thing you want to do is read cover to cover. You could go back and do so, but if you look at it like a project it will be a chore. I'd start with the New Testament. The Gospels read easy. The Old Testament is more Broad Street Bullies and the New King James version of the New Testament is more Soupy/Pommers after the lockout feel. I think you will get a lot of good out of it because you can see beyond the obvious in a lot of things.

2, Pat Buchanan - Suicide of a Superpower....haven't started it yet because I know I will want to go cover to cover and it is a decent size. If you read his books 20 years ago, he was bang on where we ended up.

1, that's a very interesting take on how you put the totality of Scripture in hockey layman's terms. As an aside, I read this a number of years ago to where someone could not attribute a certain quote about the OT and the NT, but I wound up finding it recently. Some people say that this is attributed to Augustine, but I know that Matthew Henry pretty much said it. "The New is in the Old contained, the Old is in the New explained." IOW, they obviously tie together.

2, I like Pat. I may not agree with his theology, but I have a deep appreciation for his love of this country. He's not your typical talking head like Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, or even Alan Colmes. He thinks outside of the "Left/Right" box, which is something that I can appreciate because of how much I've been trying to unlearn from that propaganda machine.

Marilyn Manson - The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

Previous recent reads are Walk This Way, The Dirt, The Heroin Diaries, and I Am Ozzy.

Next up is gonna be Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue.

I love rock bios if you hadn't noticed.

Edited by ubkev

If we're going to talk about reading for entertainment I can't recommend Steven Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series enough. It is the character that the Mark Wahlberg movie "Shooter" was based on. Hint, the Point of Impact novel was wayyyy better than "Shooter". Great reading if you are into action.

Just went and picked it up. GOing to be reading it on my business trip this week :thumbsup: yay for plane rides...

Marilyn Manson - The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

Previous recent reads are Walk This Way, The Dirt, The Heroin Diaries, and I Am Ozzy.

Next up is gonna be Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue.

I love rock bios if you hadn't noticed.

I read Neil Youngs bio a few years back, it is was very good.

Have any of you read The Road? Thinking about picking it up, but would like to have a heads up.

I read The Road shortly after my first son was born. This book has a completely different and more significant meaning to a new Father than anyone else. The Post-apocalyptic setting strips away everything except the Father-Son relationship and McCarthy does an amazing job of revealing the raw strength and emotion of that bond. I would recommend the book to anyone, but especially fathers of young boys.

Ok, since so many of you are readers, I'll pose this question - "what should I read next?"

First, some background. Other than a few books I had to read for school, I have only read one work of fiction cover to cover ("Confederacy of Dunces") and that was over 10 years ago. For whatever reason, I can't "get into" fiction. I'd love to, but whenever I've started one, I lose interest and never go back. Non-fiction books, for whatever reason, are different. I've read plenty, from sports books (Moneyball, The Game) to Bios (Frank Lloyd Wright, Theo Fleury), and everything by Anthony Bourdain. I've also read everything by David Sedaris, but his is sort of a fiction/non-fiction mash-up.

In two weeks I have to fly to Japan for a week long business trip. What should I read? I'd like to see if anyone has a suggestion for a novel that may actually be able to keep my attention.

Ok, since so many of you are readers, I'll pose this question - "what should I read next?"

First, some background. Other than a few books I had to read for school, I have only read one work of fiction cover to cover ("Confederacy of Dunces") and that was over 10 years ago. For whatever reason, I can't "get into" fiction. I'd love to, but whenever I've started one, I lose interest and never go back. Non-fiction books, for whatever reason, are different. I've read plenty, from sports books (Moneyball, The Game) to Bios (Frank Lloyd Wright, Theo Fleury), and everything by Anthony Bourdain. I've also read everything by David Sedaris, but his is sort of a fiction/non-fiction mash-up.

In two weeks I have to fly to Japan for a week long business trip. What should I read? I'd like to see if anyone has a suggestion for a novel that may actually be able to keep my attention.

I always have a hard time putting down Steven King books. And there are a ton to choose from. "From a Buick 8" is one of my favorites.

Why don't you try historical fiction? Maybe the blending of fiction in real historical settings will be enough to keep your attention. I like WWII stories for historical fiction. The Winds of War by Herman Wouk is a classic.

Or any of the early Tom Clancy novels like Hunt for Red October or Sum of all Fears might be enough to rope you in and keep you. Not really historical fiction but they certainly dealt with relevant topics when they were written.

Is Sci Fi/horror more your thing? Maybe take a look at some of the stuff Michael Crighton has written.

I guess I'll offer that maybe you should try to find a book that matches your tastes in movies. If you can give us an idea of what you like to watch on the big screen maybe we can point you to some book ideas.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett falls into that historical fiction catagory. Great book. I have the two "sequals" waiting for me on the shelf next to it. This thread has actually got me off my ass to finally read them.

Edited by SwampD

Maybe you should try some historical fiction or alternative history. The first is fictional characters placed in fairly well researched historical situations, the second taking a single pivotal event in history and having it go the other way.

Or just stick with non-fiction, there's no reason to force yourself to read something you're not really interested in.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett falls into that historical fiction catagory. Great book. I have the two "sequals" waiting for me on the shelf next to it. This thread has actually got me off my ass to finally read them.

I read "Pillars" a long time ago and it is a good book, I never thought about reading the sequels, perhaps it is time.

Why don't you try historical fiction? Maybe the blending of fiction in real historical settings will be enough to keep your attention. I like WWII stories for historical fiction. The Winds of War by Herman Wouk is a classic.

Or any of the early Tom Clancy novels like Hunt for Red October or Sum of all Fears might be enough to rope you in and keep you. Not really historical fiction but they certainly dealt with relevant topics when they were written.

Is Sci Fi/horror more your thing? Maybe take a look at some of the stuff Michael Crighton has written.

I guess I'll offer that maybe you should try to find a book that matches your tastes in movies. If you can give us an idea of what you like to watch on the big screen maybe we can point you to some book ideas.

Sci-Fi/Horror is definitely not my cup of tea. Anything fantasy related for that matter. I don't like any of the Star Wars movies, Star Trek, LOTR, etc. I just can't get into them.

Historical fiction might be something. I remember reading The Killer Angels in history class in High School and I really enjoyed it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.