What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Fantastic literary thriller. I know there's a movie due out, but I cannot imagine Hollywood putting every bit of these 600 pages into a movie.

I'm sure they left some things out to stay within a reasonable length, but I saw the movie a few weeks back in the theater and it was fantastic. I think it's on DirecTV cinema now, if you're interested. That's a series I would very much like to read when I have more free time.

Throw Them All Out by Peter Schweizer. I've been of the mind that all politicians whether D or R are more the same than they are different for a long time now. This books just confirms it. It's sickening the crap they get away with, and we just keep sending them to Washington while we bicker along partisan lines and the country continues down the road to oblivion.

http://www.amazon.co...31231811&sr=8-1

This one looks good to me. Thanks for the link.

I finally finised reading The Rage Against God. Very interesting and helpful read to say the least. I liked Peter Hitchens' British perspective on the subject matter because he warned that what happened in Britain and the Soviet Union (and its communist satellite states) could very well happen over here.

Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings. Different from other WWII histories in that he assumes you know the basics; the author presents accounts by individuals who lived through (or died in) the war. It puts a human face on the tragic occurrences of the time. Definitely not light summer reading.

Just finished reading "Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin. What separates world class preformers and everbody else. It is not a sports book per say. Although it does touch on the subject of the golf gene and that it has not been found contrary to popular belief.

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Fantastic literary thriller. I know there's a movie due out, but I cannot imagine Hollywood putting every bit of these 600 pages into a movie.

The movie was extremely good. I haven't read the book, but I plan to do so after seeing the film. The actress who plays her is outstanding.

not sure if any of you are in to webcomics at all, but i've been reading Questionable Content for about 3 years. Jeph Jacques did a guest strip over over WereGeek the other day, so I started reading that.

And if you're of above average intelligence, XKCD is a hilarious read.

not sure if any of you are in to webcomics at all, but i've been reading Questionable Content for about 3 years. Jeph Jacques did a guest strip over over WereGeek the other day, so I started reading that.

And if you're of above average intelligence, XKCD is a hilarious read.

I always liked QC. I haven't been reading it as much lately thought. Kinda bored with it.

One of my all time favorites was http://www.meninhats.com/

He stopped writing them years ago, but the archived strip is just so snarky and amusing.

On A Clash of Kings in the Ice and Fire series. I also have The Count of Monte Cristo going at the moment, a classic i never read in school.

There are lots of classics I wish I'd read in my younger days. Then again, there are some things I've learned about myself that I didn't know all those years ago. FML sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "The Plots Against the President" and am finding myself more and more enthralled with FDR the man and FDR the President. His politics and economic policy is just as relevant today as it was in the 30s and 40s. That said, I just ordered the following:

Looking Forward - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933)

On Our Way - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1934)

Other People's Money and How the Bankers Use It - Louis Brandeis (1914)

The Crisis of the Old Order: 1919-1933, The Age of Roosevelt, Volume 1 - Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. (2003)

On A Clash of Kings in the Ice and Fire series. I also have The Count of Monte Cristo going at the moment, a classic i never read in school.

The Count was a great read to me. I read it several month ago and I'm glad I did.

Just finished The Gorl Who Played with Fire, I started reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence, I aso picked up The First Days last night via ibook.

Zen is also a great read, I need to re-read it again it's been years. Maybe it'll be especially poingnent with the old Honda I'm working on. :)

I finally finised reading The Rage Against God. Very interesting and helpful read to say the least. I liked Peter Hitchens' British perspective on the subject matter because he warned that what happened in Britain and the Soviet Union (and its communist satellite states) could very well happen over here.

I might be stirring up a hornets nest, but what happened in the UK and USSR that he's warning about?

I might be stirring up a hornets nest, but what happened in the UK and USSR that he's warning about?

The USSR's brazen and systematic method to rid the country of all semblance of religion, and how it's been happening in the UK by more subtle means.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Borderlands by Derek Lundy (2010)

Girlfriend bought it for me because she thought I'd like it. She was right.

It's written by a man from British Columbia who decides he'd like to ride the extent of both the Canadian and Mexican borders in order to learn about them and also to honor three friends who had died recently. And he does it on a KLR.

Being Canadian, he provides a wonderful commentary on the culture in the US regarding immigrants, drugs and the securing of our borders, with a little bit of an "I don't get it because I'm from Canada" humor. But he does get it, and he does a great job of analyzing both borders while providing some motorcycle culture as well. There's also quite a bit of Canadian and Mexican history in it, which is something many of us Americans could use more of.

There's definitely some liberal slant (what do you expect) but if you are into politics, social issues, and motorcycles, you should pick this up. It's definitely one of my favorites now.

Edited by d4rksabre

The USSR's brazen and systematic method to rid the country of all semblance of religion, and how it's been happening in the UK by more subtle means.

Ah, thought it might be that. I saw some very pretty churches when I was over in the UK, including the one in "St. Mary's Butts" (*snicker*).

http://en.wikipedia...._Mary%27s_Butts

http://en.wikipedia....Reading_Minster

I have a nearly identical picture as this one of the Church in Portchester Castle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Portchester_Castle_outer_bailey_from_the_keep,_2010.jpg

There's also quite a bit of Canadian and Mexican history in it, which is something many of us Americans could use more of. There's definitely some liberal slant (what do you expect) but if you are into politics, social issues, and motorcycles, you should pick this up. It's definitely one of my favorites now.

Yep, that one just got added to my list, thanks! I have to be careful with those sorts of books, I often start getting ideas about rides to take after reading them.

I haven't been reading anything of note. Magazines, documentation, etc.

Edited by MattPie

Yep, that one just got added to my list, thanks! I have to be careful with those sorts of books, I often start getting ideas about rides to take after reading them.

I haven't been reading anything of note. Magazines, documentation, etc.

Haha I always think about it, then realize the idea of my bike carrying me any farther than Buffalo is a pipe dream unless I rebuild the motor and put a better seat on it.

I'm doing some serious pop-fiction catchup. In the last 3 weeks I've read:

Hunger Games

Catching Fire

MockingJay

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

I rather enjoyed the Hunger Games books. Young Adult fiction is a nice change of pace because the book has to focus on story and imagery rather than layers and style. Don't get me wrong, I like a good stylized story with layers upon layer of meaning, I just like the Hunger Games/Twilight/Harry Potter stuff thrown in between.

As for AGOT and ACOK, George R.R. Martin shifts so rapidly between being a history, fantasy, and adventure writer that you can never really get into a groove, which I like. The only complaint I have is that when he writes his "love" scenes, which are far to many and far too gratuitous, he very often sounds like a creepy guy writing in his mother's basement. Then I saw a picture of him:

220px-George_R_R_Martin_2011_Shankbone.JPG

Time to update the list:

The Art of Intrusion, by Kevin Mitnick

Mike at Wrykyn, PG Wodehouse

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, John LeCarre

A book of Twain short stories

On deck:

At Home, Bill Bryson

Scorecasting, Moskowitz & Wertheim

In the Garden of Beasts, Erik Larson

The Prague Cemetary, Umberto Eco

I'm currently reading the mammoth book of pirates by Jon E. Lewis. Incredibly detailed first hand accounts of famous pirates exploits by the likes of Edward Teach ( Blackbeard ), Henry Morgan, Howard Pyle and Captain Kidd. Take every nasty stereotype you've ever heard about pirates and multiply, double or triple it. Its cool to read these stories from a historic perspective rather than Hollywoods take. One of the more noteworthy was Howard Pyles taking of Panama from the Spanish. Imagine ransacking a city,Holding it Ransom and sailing into the sunset with all of the riches after holding the city hostage for months. What a party.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.