What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Well, that was interesting with regard to The Stig.

As for the KJV, it was definitely written in a form of English that was used back in those days. Obviously, most people don't talk nor write like that today (unless they like to use that kind of inflection to get their own point across).

I'm enjoying it so far. I don't seem to be having any trouble grasping meanings and I find the language to be more colorful in a good way. I think when you take that language out it loses its subtlety.

I'm enjoying it so far. I don't seem to be having any trouble grasping meanings and I find the language to be more colorful in a good way. I think when you take that language out it loses its subtlety.

:thumbsup: I'm glad to read that from you.

I didn't know Taibbi had a book out. I'll have to take a look at it.

He actually has a couple books out that I know of: Spanking the Donkey and The Great Derangement. I've read Derangement and found it to be very enjoyable. I think I read somewhere that he's beginning work on a new one as well. He's the closest comparable writer to Hunter Thompson these days.

Devil in the White City is history that reads like fiction.

Chicago in 1893.

I have this book in the queue, I may move it up a few places :thumbsup:

My daughter is headed to Chicago in the fall and so my interest in the city is a bit piqued at the moment.

Shiba Inu - A Comprehensive Guide to Owning and Caring for Your Dog.

Looking into getting a puppy. Gotta do all my research.

I sure do hope you have quite a bit of money on you, because they're not a cheap breed by any means. My wife and I bought a Shiba Inu puppy back in 2002, and it was not a purebred. He had been marked down a couple of times before we bought him, and it was around $550 back then. They also shed like crazy when it gets really hot.

I sure do hope you have quite a bit of money on you, because they're not a cheap breed by any means. My wife and I bought a Shiba Inu puppy back in 2002, and it was not a purebred. He had been marked down a couple of times before we bought him, and it was around $550 back then. They also shed like crazy when it gets really hot.

I do ok. Not terribly worried about the shedding, as I still live in the north east. But thanks for the heads up.

I do thorough research when considering life decisions. And im definitely not taking this lightly.

I have this book in the queue, I may move it up a few places :thumbsup:

My daughter is headed to Chicago in the fall and so my interest in the city is a bit piqued at the moment.

I can't recommend it enough. This is my second post on it; Erik Larsson is a master. His second, Thunderstruck, which conflates the invention of radio with a murder in London, is equally good. And I've got his third book on my shelf, waiting for my attention.

Just read "Ala-ed-Din and the Wonderful Lamp" from The Thousand and One Nights... completely different from the disney version and actually very interesting.

1001 Nights is one of the great non-Western classics. You know, I'm going to start re-reading it tonight. It's perfect for bedtime reading.

I can't recommend it enough. This is my second post on it; Erik Larsson is a master. His second, Thunderstruck, which conflates the invention of radio with a murder in London, is equally good. And I've got his third book on my shelf, waiting for my attention.

1001 Nights is one of the great non-Western classics. You know, I'm going to start re-reading it tonight. It's perfect for bedtime reading.

Who reads in bed?

Who reads in bed?

I guess you wouldn't know anything about that. :flirt:

After I get caught up with some of my reading, here's what I have planned in my queue:

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin (Henry Beveridge translation)

Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church (I have no intention of becoming Roman Catholic. It's just that it's good to know what they believe so that I don't make the mistake of misrepresenting their position.)

That's all I can think of at this time.

Ok, I guess if this counts for anything, I just read the Recent Deaths page on Wikipedia.

There have been some threads lately that have gotten political, and this one is about reading, so…

Just suppose you could make everyone, especially your political opponents, read, and think seriously about, a particular book, or monograph, or essay. What would it be? Personally I am not interested in partisan political polemics, as they are just red meat for the already convinced. I am more interested in works of political theory, economics, or some specific aspect of public policy, like health care, education, national security, or some such.

I would make one recommendation to both opponents and allies: A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles by Thomas Sowell. Sowell is a very rare bird, he is both black, and conservative. None the less, I think this book very fair to both the right and the left.

What say you all?

There have been some threads lately that have gotten political, and this one is about reading, so…

Just suppose you could make everyone, especially your political opponents, read, and think seriously about, a particular book, or monograph, or essay. What would it be? Personally I am not interested in partisan political polemics, as they are just red meat for the already convinced. I am more interested in works of political theory, economics, or some specific aspect of public policy, like health care, education, national security, or some such.

I would make one recommendation to both opponents and allies: A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles by Thomas Sowell. Sowell is a very rare bird, he is both black, and conservative. None the less, I think this book very fair to both the right and the left.

What say you all?

Have you ever read anything that was written by Ludwig von Mises?

I haven't read much about the field of education, but I've heard that Ezola Foster has written some stuff that can be quite controversial.

Have you ever read anything that was written by Ludwig von Mises?

I haven't read much about the field of education, but I've heard that Ezola Foster has written some stuff that can be quite controversial.

I bought Human Action and a companion volume with a title something like Mises made easier. They got packed into abox when I moved and are still there. I have read a good bit by his disciple Hayek. The Road to Serfdom is a classic. He also wrote the best short critique of central planning that I have read, an essay entitled The Use of Knowledge in Society. Try also The Fatal Conceit, The Constitution of Liberty, or Law, Legislation, and Liberty.

What say you all?

Anthem ... Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged ... Ayn Rand

The Road to Surfdom ... Friedrich Hayak

The Federalist Papers ... Hamilton and Madison

Das Kapital ... Karl Marx

1984 ... George Orwell

When you've read those, you can join me in bed.

Edited by Neo

Anthem ... Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged ... Ayn Rand

The Road to Surfdom ... Friedrich Hayak

The Federalist Papers ... Hamilton and Madison

Das Kapital ... Karl Marx

1984 ... George Orwell

When you've read those, you can join me in bed.

I tried to get through Altas Shrugged. Oof. Better you than me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.