Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Before Buffalo English, there was a feature written by Robert J. Summers back in 1989 (I think) published in the Gusto section of the News.  It was titled, Buffaloese, or What? I'll have to scan it and post it, as it is pretty funny (and accurate).  The title refers to "Or what? - Last words of opening sentences of 75 percent of Buffalo conversations".  For example, "How about those Bills, or what?  There are other real Buffalo linguistic gems in the piece.

It wasn't quite awesome, but I was in and around Buffalo today and listened to Petey and Rivs and, later, Sal Capaccio and Schopp. I hadn't listened to the hockey show on WGR much and was surprised by how good it was. Funny, too. The comment about Marty being in a bubble bath while on the line, complete with squeaks in French, cracked me up. I just wish I could tell Petey from Rivs.

Sal Capaccio is gooood. I've only heard snippets of him on the Bills sideline. He and Schopp could be dynamite. Nothing against Bulldog, because I'm a big fan, but Sal sounds like he can go toe to toe with Mike. I understand the yin and the yang that Mike and Chris have, and it works well. Sometimes, though, two alpha males going after one microphone is good radio.

Annnnnnd... they were talking about Pegula's very active role as owner of the Bills and whether the GM should — are you sitting down? — be able to pick the next coach. The argument they both made that of course the owner wants to pick his coach and has the right to do so gets old. I want to know what the smart move is. That's Schopp's thing, right? What's smart? There shouldn't be too much disagreement about what the smart approach is. I mean, duh.

Can't say I ever recall hearing anyone refer to Rite Aid or Kmart in the plural. However, the little mom & pop places still get referred to by the owner's last name w/ an apostrophe s attached. Never considered that to be a "Buffalo thing."

It's an ethnic thing. Other Great Lakes cities do that. I've heard it in Chicago, I've heard it in Detroit. I think is kind of dying out as immigrant communities such as Poles, Italians and Germans get more integrated into American culture.  I think it lingered longer in Buffalo because it stopped growing in the 1970s and so remained a little more "small towny" and not as cosmopolitan.

Before Buffalo English, there was a feature written by Robert J. Summers back in 1989 (I think) published in the Gusto section of the News.  It was titled, Buffaloese, or What? I'll have to scan it and post it, as it is pretty funny (and accurate).  The title refers to "Or what? - Last words of opening sentences of 75 percent of Buffalo conversations".  For example, "How about those Bills, or what?  There are other real Buffalo linguistic gems in the piece.

That's a common language tick in a lot of English dialects and accents.  The form changes, but an acknowledging/reinforcing question comes at the end of a lot of conversational English sentences.  In Canada, it's "Eh?"  When I was in England they would say, "Yeah?"  And famously in Fargo it's "Doncha know?"  I think "Y'know?" is pretty universal and not regional.  On the forum here I've seen other people use "Innit?" and I've kind of picked that up. 

It's an ethnic thing. Other Great Lakes cities do that. I've heard it in Chicago, I've heard it in Detroit. I think is kind of dying out as immigrant communities such as Poles, Italians and Germans get more integrated into American culture.  I think it lingered longer in Buffalo because it stopped growing in the 1970s and so remained a little more "small towny" and not as cosmopolitan.

That's a common language tick in a lot of English dialects and accents.  The form changes, but an acknowledging/reinforcing question comes at the end of a lot of conversational English sentences.  In Canada, it's "Eh?"  When I was in England they would say, "Yeah?"  And famously in Fargo it's "Doncha know?"  I think "Y'know?" is pretty universal and not regional.  On the forum here I've seen other people use "Innit?" and I've kind of picked that up. 

Right? seems to be picking up among the young intellectual crowd. "Carbon emissions are increasing, right? So what we need is..."

Japanese does it, I think. You soften a statement with "day sun a" (long a sound) which translates to "is it not".

This just in:

How about we stop at Panera's in Williamsport for lunch? -- MrsPie

's. Haha

My reply to that exact same question when my wife asked it 2 weeks ago. "What part of $13 for half a sandwich and a cup of soup sounds good to you?"

After much deliberation, I solved my car dilemma yesterday. Got a good deal on a 2014 Impala down at West Herr in OP. The trunk sold me. Absolutely cavernous. Plus it's got hard to find colors with the gray leather interior and the slate blue exterior. Photos don't do it justice. 

post-1361-0-21165200-1482847007_thumb.png

:wub: 

It took 12 years but I think I finally found a suitable replacement for my blue 1990 Caprice. 

That's a sharp-looking car. When the sun comes out, it'll look nice.

I knew I was going car shopping yesterday because the weather was good and I had the day off. Sunday afternoon I still had no idea what I was looking for. I was still looking at trucks and SUV's and not feeling satisfied. 

I gave up and googled "sedan biggest trunk" and the re-designed Impalas (new in 2014) came up at the top. I liked my '01 LeSabre for its trunk space, but it was old and boring. These new Impalas are striking but classy. Compared with the gaudy Charger and the Chrysler 300, I think this is the best car, even if it's not RWD. And stacked up to a Buick or Cadillac built on the same platform, it's got much more space inside. By Sunday night my research sold me. I just needed to find one I liked. Had a bunch of new and used ones picked out at West Herr, Basil and Paddock. Went to West Herr first and didn't leave. They had the only used blue one in the area and the price was right. 

The only thing I'm not sure about is the new tires they put on it. They're the stock Goodyear Eagle LS2's which are very poorly rated in the snow. Tire ratings are hit or miss, but if I get out in the snow in this thing and the tires are just awful, I'll be giving my sales guy a call to see if he wants to uphold that "West Herr difference" that he was selling to me and see if we can swap on some better rated tires. All in due time...

So, like, June.

:lol:

The sun was just out briefly and it looks goooooood. 

Congrats d4rk.  I hate car shopping.  Did I tell you guys that I am in line for a 1994 Legend ... our Legend's 'twin' in silver ...  :flirt:

-----

My wife stays up late surfing YouTube and found this gem ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1pwnb0NpQw#t=75.733333

This kid has a future in The Blues.

Congrats d4rk. I hate car shopping. Did I tell you guys that I am in line for a 1994 Legend ... our Legend's 'twin' in silver ... :flirt:

-----

My wife stays up late surfing YouTube and found this gem ...

This kid has a future in The Blues.

Car shopping is the worst. I feel your pain. I'm grateful that I found something I like.

Come on, get it lowered, throw some switches in there, black out the windows and you can be rollin in yo six for...err...one fo...

...never mind, I'm dumb

:lol: 

I am probably going to get some mild tints done. The automatic rear view mirror does a pretty good job with the incoming headlights, but I think some tints would really elevate the driving experience.