What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Scratch made red sauce and linguine, sauteed beet greens, a baguette, and a glass of unoaked merlot.

Sauce was simple and quick. Saute diced onions and garlic until tender, brown about 1.5lbs ground beef with the onions and garlic, deglaze the pan with about 8oz of white wine. Let the wine boil off. add 1 can of crushed tomatoes (last Summer's canned tomatoes if ya got em), a big handful of fresh oregano and basil roughly chopped, a dash of red pepper flakes. Salt and pepper to taste. Let it all simmer until it comes together, about 15-20 minutes.

Beet green recipe was just as simple. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a cold saute pan. Add 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic and bring the pan up to heat over a medium burner. When the pan is hot add the trimmed greens and cover the pan. When the greens just start to wilt turn them to evenly coat and add 1 cup dry white wine. Turn the burner down to low. Add some red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Let the greens lightly simmer uncovered until nearly all of the wine is boiled off, about 20 minutes, turning the greens occassionally. Serve hot. Thank me when you are done eating.

Edited by weave

• 2 weeks later...

Put this one under "future eats", as opposed to what are you eating now.....

I grow at least three sometimes more varieties of hot peppers each year. This year I only planted two, jalapenos and Super Chiles. Supers are a hybrid that are small, noticeably hotter than jalapenos, grow pointing up instead of down, and during the peak of the season there are more peppers on the plant than leaves. This year my supers didn't produce what I expected. These peppers are about 8" long, 1" wide, slightly curved, and very "meaty". They look alot like Anaheims. I harvested 10 or so today. Took about 1/2" off the bottom of one to test for heat. yeah, they are hot. About jalapeno hot. A good bit hotter than any Anaheim I've ever eaten. And they have a really, really nice flavor. Starts off peppery like a sweet green bell but the heat kicks in fast. Not scary heat, but enough to get your attention. They are really tasty. I'm thinking they will make a nice salsa verde or pickled peppers.

I wish I knew what they are. I'd be tempted to grow them again.

IMG00180-20130801-1706_zps662d3ac7.jpg

Im at Blincos in Raleigh drinking a pint of Stone IPA and waiting on a beef on weck.

Bad news for us WNY ex-pats in Raleigh. No more Blinco's. A shame because it was the only place in town to get authentic WNY Friday fish frys, beef on weck and decent wings. They also did a garbage plate knock off called a hurricane plate, but I found that to be sacrilegious. It also kind of served as the de facto home base for our raping and pillaging efforts when the Sabres came to town.

Laotion food galore. My best friend is from Laos, and tonight she, her mom, and her cousin made a feast of deliciousness for a meeting of her and her fiancee's parents. Lahp, pho, summer rolls with peanut sauce, and a tasty curry dish I can't recall the name of. Best of all, I got to take home some of the leftovers, so I know what I'm having for lunch (and dinner) tomorrow. :)

Edit: the curry soup dish was Kao Pboon. Very yummy.

Edited by biodork

Laotion food galore. My best friend is from Laos, and tonight she, her mom, and her cousin made a feast of deliciousness for a meeting of her and her fiancee's parents. Lahp, pho, summer rolls with peanut sauce, and a tasty curry dish I can't recall the name of. Best of all, I got to take home some of the leftovers, so I know what I'm having for lunch (and dinner) tomorrow. :)

Edit: the curry soup dish was Kao Pboon. Very yummy.

I didn't get a chance to try any Laotion food when I was over there. Is it more similar to Cambodian, Vietnamese, or Thai?

I didn't get a chance to try any Laotion food when I was over there. Is it more similar to Cambodian, Vietnamese, or Thai?

I've never had Cambodian food, but it's definitely closer to Thai. The "summer rolls" are very similar to the "spring rolls" you'd find at a Vietnamese restaurant (they're the ones in the rice paper wrapper that aren't fried), but their lahp and curry dishes are very similar to typical Thai food.

Cool. Cambodian is a lot like Thai with less spice. So I'm guessing it's all pretty similar. I'll have to find a Laotion place down in Philly to try it for myself.

Lunch: few-days-old Wegmans Basamati rice, with fresh ground black pepper and Dinosaur BBQ seasoning. It's one step up from baked beans straight out of the can (Hobo-beans).

Speaking of spice, I had the smallest imaginable sample of a hot sauce made with ghost pepper extract on saturday. It was a tiny drop of the sauce, maybe the size of a small ant. I had watched a bunch of people sign a waiver to try it not knowing anything about ghost peppers and smartly I wanted no part of it. I was joking with the guy at the store off to the side as the people soaked an entire tortilla chip in it not realizing the hell they were putting themselves into. After everyone left he gave me a drop of the sauce about the size of a tiny ant.

Why do they even make a sauce like that? Even the tiny drop spread the heat across half of my tongue. I really think you could make a strong case for abuse against the woman who let her 10 year old boy try it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.