Do you know Ruff's System

Who Else?

I posted this in a thread not long ago, but this is my description of Ruff's system:

His system lacks flexibility.

- We play 1-2-2 with almost no forecheck. Occasionally we go 2-1-2 but either way our forwards are more concerned with closing passing lanes (which they fail miserably at) than finishing their checks, which could cause a turnover. In our own zone, our high forwards are always looking for homerun breakout passes from our offensive defensemen, but teams have caught onto that, and we have been exposed in our own end because our offensive defensemen struggle against stronger teams and our forwards don't support in their own zone.

- On the penalty kill we try to block shooting lanes rather than attacking the puck. This technique has its upside, including keeping the guys on the ice fresher since they're not skating as hard, but when you're not blocking those shots, the whole system breaks down. Ruff has shown no desire or ability to adjust to this.

- Our powerplay should be a strength, since we have some solid offensive defensemen to man the points. Instead? We have Pommer and Roy back there. Regardless of who we put back there, we can't seem to get a shot through, and we have made almost no coaching adjustment to improve on this.

- My biggest problem is that Ruff can't get these guys to play 60 minutes. We have seen flashes of what they are capable of, which makes it even more infuriating. I see lazy coasting. I see failure to backcheck. I see inactive sticks. I see a lot of guys looking around, waiting for someone else to make a play.

I will add one big problem with the overall system, and that is the communication between Miller and our defensemen when it comes to playing the puck. Miller looks lost when it comes to puck handling, and often throws the puck into bad spots, forcing our d-men to make desperate plays to get the puck out of the zone. This has happened Miller's whole career. I thought I would eventually see coaching correct this, but years later this is still one of Miller's biggest weaknesses. Enroth (and years ago Biron) is a much better puck handler, because he gives his d-men the confidence and time to make a solid play with the puck deep in our zone, rather than causing a panic situation like Miller so often does. This is just one more element that makes our already fragile system break down.

One last thing I'll add is how passive our defensemen are as teams enter our zone. Most teams stack the blue line and hope to force an offsides. We don't. Our d-men give opposing forwards so much room to enter our zone it's ridiculous. We don't challenge until they reach the faceoff circles, and even then our d-men tend to turn into goaltenders rather than playing defense.

Idk if its been discussed, but all season I see the sabres gain the blue line and then pass wide out to the winger. This puts the shooter at an awful angle for a shot. Idk if this is because we have no center talent or what, but we don't generate traffic in front of the net, basically we need more guys willing to get in front of the net a la zetterberg, just my two cents

Yeah, I've posted this observation in a couple of the GTD threads and I think you are seeing exactly what I am. Gain the blue line by carry the puck through the middle of the ice, then pass to the wing (along the boards) for a poor angle shot. ...why doesn't the guy who takes the line and has the best shooting angle ever go it alone and shoot the puck? Or at least the passer should head to the net and look for tips and screens... but this rarely seems to happen.

I'm not sure it is the system per se... to me it might reflect a general lack of confidence on the part of our forwards (reluctant to shoot). Hard to tell...

Yeah, I've posted this observation in a couple of the GTD threads and I think you are seeing exactly what I am. Gain the blue line by carry the puck through the middle of the ice, then pass to the wing (along the boards) for a poor angle shot. ...why doesn't the guy who takes the line and has the best shooting angle ever go it alone and shoot the puck? Or at least the passer should head to the net and look for tips and screens... but this rarely seems to happen.

I'm not sure it is the system per se... to me it might reflect a general lack of confidence on the part of our forwards (reluctant to shoot). Hard to tell...

I suspect it has alot to do with our great lack of center ice talent. I assume Lindy has devised a gameplan that favores movement in the zone among our wingers, where we have much more talent (not that they've shown it in the last month-and-a-half).

I think your spot on when it comes to a confidence issue, I also think that the sabres are scared to carry on with the puck as they don't want to get hit or break a nail. There just isn't much movement at all, its just deja vu in the zone. I wonder his much is lindys system and how much is on the players for the lack if execution.

Right now were not an offensive team and certainly not a defensive team, we need to pick one and go balls to the walls, either play high risk high reward as a high powered O. Or we need to play a solid trap. This inbetween lack of identity needs to go.

Right now were not an offensive team and certainly not a defensive team, we need to pick one and go balls to the walls, either play high risk high reward as a high powered O. Or we need to play a solid trap. This inbetween lack of identity needs to go.

Poignant, agreeable, and timely. http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article715402.ece

We don't have the secondary scoring or the goaltending to trade chances. Maybe it's best to rebuild the team's tactics back-to-front, starting with a lock-down style of defense, something that we surrendered in favor of heavy pinching.

Poignant, agreeable, and timely. http://www.buffalone...ticle715402.ece

We don't have the secondary scoring or the goaltending to trade chances. Maybe it's best to rebuild the team's tactics back-to-front, starting with a lock-down style of defense, something that we surrendered in favor of heavy pinching.

I agree. Tired of seeing so many odd man rushes going towards the Sabres net. Give Myers and Ehrhoff a little more leeway perhaps since they can carry it coast to coast, but the rest of the defensive unit should look towards the stay-at-home role.

Give Myers and Ehrhoff a little more leeway perhaps since they can carry it coast to coast, but the rest of the defensive unit should look towards the stay-at-home role.

I'd say limit those coast-to-coast opportunities as well. They'll get their chances on the powerplay. When 5-on-5, they should focus on sound defensive positioning and, as the situation allows, making a good first pass.

I'd say limit those coast-to-coast opportunities as well. They'll get their chances on the powerplay. When 5-on-5, they should focus on sound defensive positioning and, as the situation allows, making a good first pass.

Exactly keep those d-men on the points on 5 on 5. Tell them to keep the puck in but stay in defensive position ready to shoot.

I think that is why we don't get any good shots from the points. The D are skating around the zone or just out of position.

I looks obvious to me that the D-men have too much on their minds creatingway too many mistakes.

Poignant, agreeable, and timely. http://www.buffalone...ticle715402.ece

Timely this is not. You mean it took this Jack A$$ Adams coach of year canddiate over half the season to figure out his system is not going to work with the players he has got.

I think that says more about a stubborn my way or the highway attitude and arrogance that is again highligthed as a big part of the problem. Do we actually have a plan and look for and acquire players that fit said plan or make it up as we go along. Might work for pond hockey pick up games not so much for a professional league.

Timely this is not. You mean it took this Jack A$$ Adams coach of year canddiate over half the season to figure out his system is not going to work with the players he has got.

I was referring to wyldnwoody44's assessment as timely with regards to the same sentiment being published in the paper.

Chill pills. Eat them.

I was referring to wyldnwoody44's assessment as timely with regards to the same sentiment being published in the paper.

Chill pills. Eat them.

LOL, ;) fair enough although I'll tell you if watching them isn't maddening enough reading all these threads can push one over the edge. Admittedly not as far for some as others

I think that says more about a stubborn my way or the highway attitude and arrogance that is again highligthed as a big part of the problem. Do we actually have a plan and look for and acquire players that fit said plan or make it up as we go along. Might work for pond hockey pick up games not so much for a professional league.

There is a real good point in there.

Not to mention that Clowe has some attributes Regier and Ruff detest, like size and toughness.

Interesting that when the Blackhawks need a center they add Brendan Morrison. I'm not saying Morrison could solve all of the Sabres' problems,he at least would have givin the Sabres some cheap depth up the middle.

Yes, Ruff hates toughness. Can't stand it. Didn't send his tough line over the boards when Drury got run. Ruff hates toughness.

Yes, Ruff hates toughness. Can't stand it. Didn't send his tough line over the boards when Drury got run. Ruff hates toughness.

How many years ago was that? 1 time in 15 years surely proves Ruff is all about grit and toughness. Like the time he went after Billy Smith. I love hearing fans tell that story and then looking at the actual video where Ruff never throws a punch.

How many years ago was that? 1 time in 15 years surely proves Ruff is all about grit and toughness. Like the time he went after Billy Smith. I love hearing fans tell that story and then looking at the actual video where Ruff never throws a punch.

I too, am sick of hearing about the Ottawa game.

Ok. Recently, Ruff has publicly lamented that Kaleta's toughness is restrained by bad officiating.

Ruff hates toughness.

Ruff not emphasizing hitting as much as other coaches does not translate into Ruff hating toughness. Hating toughness would imply he drills into his players never to hit, never to stand up for each other, and so on. Can even the biggest Ruff detractor make the honest argument they think he stands up during practice and says "Men, whatever you do, take a U-turn at every possible opportunity to finish off checks and if one of your teammates gets run over/cheap shot just pretend it didn't happen because I don't want you standing up for a teammate!" Because really, that's the only way you can make the case he hates toughness. Maybe he doesn't yell and preach about running through other teams, but that doesn't mean he hates toughness.

Ruff not emphasizing hitting as much as other coaches does not translate into Ruff hating toughness. Hating toughness would imply he drills into his players never to hit, never to stand up for each other, and so on. Can even the biggest Ruff detractor make the honest argument they think he stands up during practice and says "Men, whatever you do, take a U-turn at every possible opportunity to finish off checks and if one of your teammates gets run over/cheap shot just pretend it didn't happen because I don't want you standing up for a teammate!" Because really, that's the only way you can make the case he hates toughness. Maybe he doesn't yell and preach about running through other teams, but that doesn't mean he hates toughness.

You are pretty new to the board, but this must be sarcasm, right?

Archived