Do you know Ruff's System

Who Else?

Ya know guys, toughness doesn't have to be purely physical.

The Sabres played tough tonight, according to the stats, they were out hit 26 - 16 (don't know about that), but they were tough on the puck, they fought for position and they did not let the Habs intimidate them in the least. Hits and fighting are great to see but, there are so many more aspects to playing tough and I think they played tough tonight. I also think that it is a key ingredient to this team having any success.

• 5 months later...

DeLuca may be the only one who appreciates this.....but I just watched this interview and at 12:30 it sums up a lot of what has been wrong with Ruff's system and the way the Sabres have played these recent years.

Granted it's wrestling, but it's an athlete who if you equated to a hockey player, would be a captain for pretty much any team. For me he hit it 100%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvxi-9cS320

DeLuca may be the only one who appreciates this.....but I just watched this interview and at 12:30 it sums up a lot of what has been wrong with Ruff's system and the way the Sabres have played these recent years.

Granted it's wrestling, but it's an athlete who if you equated to a hockey player, would be a captain for pretty much any team. For me he hit it 100%.

1. He's an actor, not an athlete.

2. Says a lot more about the players than it does about the coach. Even that crappy snippet that you pointed out had nothing to do with any coaching system. It had to do with the character of the guys who step out onto the ice.

Agenda-driven crap, Drain.

1. He's an actor, not an athlete.

2. Says a lot more about the players than it does about the coach. Even that crappy snippet that you pointed out had nothing to do with any coaching system. It had to do with the character of the guys who step out onto the ice.

Agenda-driven crap, Drain.

You know darned well that professional wrestlers are athletes and that coaches draw character out of their players. Talk about contrarian.

You and nfreeman, I swear. I don't know what kind of all-time, HOF, superstar lineup Ruff would need to actually get any flak from you guys. It's never Lindy.

You know darned well that professional wrestlers are athletes and that coaches draw character out of their players. Talk about contrarian.

You and nfreeman, I swear. I don't know what kind of all-time, HOF, superstar lineup Ruff would need to actually get any flak from you guys. It's never Lindy.

Welcome back.

Welcome back.

I'm serious. It's mind-boggling. If Reagan was the teflon president, Ruff is the teflon coach. Nothing sticks to the guy. Listen on opening night for the introductory cheers. Ruff will get the loudest ovation. Why? Because he's gruff and has some scars and Rust Belt Buffalo likes that? He drinks beer? He yelled "No goal!"? People think he fought Billy Smith?

It's nuts. Who's on the cover of the freakin' 40th anniversary coffee table book (which doesn't actually turn into a coffee table, BTW)? Lindy Ruff! It's like a North Korean-style cult of personality. Dear leader Lindy. I suppose when Lindy dies in 40 years, after having coached the Sabres to a 3-1 home loss to last place Olean-Jamestown, the Cheerio smell outside the arena will disappear, the grains too mournful to emit odor any longer.

I can't take it anymore.

I'm serious. It's mind-boggling. If Reagan was the teflon president, Ruff is the teflon coach. Nothing sticks to the guy. Listen on opening night for the introductory cheers. Ruff will get the loudest ovation. Why? Because he's gruff and has some scars and Rust Belt Buffalo likes that? He drinks beer? He yelled "No goal!"? People think he fought Billy Smith?

It's nuts. Who's on the cover of the freakin' 40th anniversary coffee table book (which doesn't actually turn into a coffee table, BTW)? Lindy Ruff! It's like a North Korean-style cult of personality. Dear leader Lindy. I suppose when Lindy dies in 40 years, after having coached the Sabres to a 3-1 home loss to last place Olean-Jamestown, the Cheerio smell outside the arena will disappear, the grains too mournful to emit odor any longer.

I can't take it anymore.

Seriously, welcome back.

Well, at least I just flipped the ON switch!

Sekera's quotes from the World Championships a few years ago back up the assertion that Ruff has the players thinking too much rather reacting instinctively on the ice. But this past season, Sekera appeared much more relaxed and was easily the Sabres' most consistent, if not best all around, D man. I think the sea change in Reggie's game from the previous 2 years where he seemed to regress to last year came from his own maturation and development which is natural in a young player's learning process. There was little, if any, concern about players overthinking and underreacting from 2005-07 because the roster was filled out with talented players that understood their role. Talent and hockey intelligence goes a long way, and a roster with players unable (Adam) or unwilling (Roy) to buy in to a "system" leads to confusion and implosion.

This isn't to discount any criticism toward Ruff--- his inability to reach Adam for much of last year or get through to Roy over multiple seasons, for example, could be a direct result of limitations in his coaching style. But the point remains, paralysis on the ice caused by overthinking isn't an issue when you have players that can think, read and react in the moment. Any coaching system requires players capable of that.

Sekera's quotes from the World Championships a few years ago back up the assertion that Ruff has the players thinking too much rather reacting instinctively on the ice. But this past season, Sekera appeared much more relaxed and was easily the Sabres' most consistent, if not best all around, D man. I think the sea change in Reggie's game from the previous 2 years where he seemed to regress to last year came from his own maturation and development which is natural in a young player's learning process. There was little, if any, concern about players overthinking and underreacting from 2005-07 because the roster was filled out with talented players that understood their role. Talent and hockey intelligence goes a long way, and a roster with players unable (Adam) or unwilling (Roy) to buy in to a "system" leads to confusion and implosion.

This isn't to discount any criticism toward Ruff--- his inability to reach Adam for much of last year or get through to Roy over multiple seasons, for example, could be a direct result of limitations in his coaching style. But the point remains, paralysis on the ice caused by overthinking isn't an issue when you have players that can think, read and react in the moment. Any coaching system requires players capable of that.

Good post.

Seems to me Lindy's system is predicated on puck possession vs. a dump and chase mentality. In order to possess the puck you have to WANT the puck. And I saw very little WANT from either Adam or Roy, especially at critical times. And especially in the D end.

GO SABRES!!!

Ruff will get the loudest ovation. Why? Because he's gruff and has some scars and Rust Belt Buffalo likes that? He drinks beer? He yelled "No goal!"? People think he fought Billy Smith?

Fandom is distinct from performance evaluation. If you think those are the reasons people think Lindy Ruff is a good coach, then you're demonstrating that you're unfit to judge whether or not he is. If you think fans of Lindy Ruff spout about these things, then yeah, you're right, because that's what fandom is and that's what fans do. Some people hated on Roy because of what his living room looked like, something that had no bearing on his on-ice performance. If you were to note that people think Lindy Ruff is a good coach because he's a Jack Adams award winner and 12th among all-time coaches in regulation wins, it might help you better frame your argument about how much he sucks.

Of course it's immaterial anyways. The general manager was recently quoted as saying that Ruff is an elite coach in the league, which adds longevity to the ownership's opening statement that "he ain't going nowhere."

Fandom is distinct from performance evaluation. If you think those are the reasons people think Lindy Ruff is a good coach, then you're demonstrating that you're unfit to judge whether or not he is. If you think fans of Lindy Ruff spout about these things, then yeah, you're right, because that's what fandom is and that's what fans do. Some people hated on Roy because of what his living room looked like, something that had no bearing on his on-ice performance. If you were to note that people think Lindy Ruff is a good coach because he's a Jack Adams award winner and 12th among all-time coaches in regulation wins, it might help you better frame your argument about how much he sucks.

Of course it's immaterial anyways. The general manager was recently quoted as saying that Ruff is an elite coach in the league, which adds longevity to the ownership's opening statement that "he ain't going nowhere."

So that's the case for Lindy? Some boozed up, buffet-stuffed broadcasters voted for him one year, and he's accumulated a lot of regulation wins in 15 years? He's also 15th in points percentage among active coaches. Middle of the pack.

On the flip side, the other extreme thinks it's ALWAYS Lindy. It's Ruff's fault Luke Adam went pointless in 25 straight games. It's Ruff's fault the team didn't respond to Lucic. It's Ruff's fault we lost the captains. It's Ruff's fault Gragnani sucks. It's Ruff's fault Kassian didn't bury the league in fear. Sabres missed out on a few FAs, they don't want to play for Ruff! And on it goes. At what point are professional athletes responsible for themselves?

There has to be some sort of happy medium between the two extremes.

There has to be some sort of happy medium between the two extremes.

There is, it's called "factual information." You know, that thing that describes what's happening on by accurately describing what's happening. The problem comes when, of course, when that information isn't available. That's when people start wildly making ###### up to describe what they think is happening. It happens all the time. Whether it's the half-retarded sports column writer trying to gauge effectiveness of a coach's actions behind closed doors or an ancient religion trying to explain why the sky fireball moves around, without facts, they just start making ###### up that's rife with rumor and speculation in an attempt to explain the unknown.

Then, of course, the wild stories cause people to form unfounded or misinformed opinions, which in turn fuel more raging horseshit ideas.

So that's the case for Lindy? Some boozed up, buffet-stuffed broadcasters voted for him one year, and he's accumulated a lot of regulation wins in 15 years? He's also 15th in points percentage among active coaches. Middle of the pack.

Here's the case for Lindy:

- 4 final 4s in 9 years before getting kneecapped by ownership

- getting a team to the finals that was comprised of a great goaltender and a bunch of string and rubber bands

- winning with a team built around a goalie, and then winning with a team built around a bunch of speedy, smallish forwards but no elite players

- being chosen to be an assistant coach for one of the best hockey teams of all time -- and chosen by hockey people, not a bunch of overstuffed buffet types

Everyone is of course entitled to his or her own opinion, but I don't see how anyone could look at the sabres' roster since Black Sunday and say that Lindy has been holding them back.

Here's the case for Lindy:

- 4 final 4s in 9 years before getting kneecapped by ownership

- getting a team to the finals that was comprised of a great goaltender and a bunch of string and rubber bands

- winning with a team built around a goalie, and then winning with a team built around a bunch of speedy, smallish forwards but no elite players

- being chosen to be an assistant coach for one of the best hockey teams of all time -- and chosen by hockey people, not a bunch of overstuffed buffet types

Everyone is of course entitled to his or her own opinion, but I don't see how anyone could look at the sabres' roster since Black Sunday and say that Lindy has been holding them back.

So we are still living with "Black Sunday"? Two small guys, one who faded out of prominence in hockey within a year and the other who continues his trend of being a signifigant minus player in the playoffs. God we would be so good with those two "big" centers. LOL. Ruff is average. Quit blaming others for his poor coaching.

I don't see how anyone could equate today's game with the first year post lockout unless they just started watching hockey in the last 8 years. Coaching in those years doesn't equate with 2012. Sorry. Just my opinion.

So we are still living with "Black Sunday"? Two small guys, one who faded out of prominence in hockey within a year and the other who continues his trend of being a signifigant minus player in the playoffs. God we would be so good with those two "big" centers. LOL. Ruff is average. Quit blaming others for his poor coaching.

I have read this twice now................... WTF are you talking about?

I have read this twice now................... WTF are you talking about?

Drury and Briere. Was Drury signifigant after his first year with the Rangers. Of course not. Briere was minus 6 this year despite Pitts terrible play. And neither would give us the size down the middle that we so need and covet. How FN dumb are you?

I don't see how anyone could equate today's game with the first year post lockout unless they just started watching hockey in the last 8 years. Coaching in those years doesn't equate with 2012. Sorry. Just my opinion.

1) Briere and Drury weren't the only important pieces let go and never fully replaced.

2) I'm not sure what your last point is....2012 hockey certainly isn't 2006 hockey, it's a lot like pre-2005 hockey...you know, that time that Ruff was more consistently successful.

Whether or not Briere and Drury were effective players after leaving Buffalo (they were/are) is irrelevant. The drop off in on-ice/lockerroom leadership and the skill/tenacity levels they provided at the center position was so great it would be rivaled, arguably, by Nashville losing both Weber and Suter this year. In one fell swoop, the total team identity was cut out of the franchise, and the remaining team turtled into "fragile little children". I'm not sure if coaching could suture that wound.

1) Briere and Drury weren't the only important pieces let go and never fully replaced.

2) I'm not sure what your last point is....2012 hockey certainly isn't 2006 hockey, it's a lot like pre-2005 hockey...you know, that time that Ruff was more consistently successful.

Yes, he was more consistently successful. Could that have been because of the greatest goalie to ever play the game? He (Hasek) faced double the shots every night of Brodeur.

Absolutely--- it was the collective loss of not only Drury and Briere, but also Dumont, McKee, Grier, Campbell... as well as the Tim Connolly of 2005-06 which can't be discounted. All in a span of 18 months or so.

Drury and Briere. Was Drury signifigant after his first year with the Rangers. Of course not. Briere was minus 6 this year despite Pitts terrible play. And neither would give us the size down the middle that we so need and covet. How FN dumb are you?

right briere has not been a playoff dynamo at all in philly. He hasnt put up points in the playoffs at all. so go STFU yourself

Archived