You can't make this stuff up! Roy:

Tony P

"I believe diversity means an old old wooden ship used during the civil war era!"

I doubt very much that the affiliates are concerned about the lack of old wooden ships. Nice try, though.

Anyway, I'm gonna come out and say that Roy didn't even really need to make this statement. Anyone watching (the other three of you, at this point) can tell he's not one for trying very hard in most situations...

He makes Miro Satan look like Chris Dury, in retrospect...

I would say the interpretation... if you want to look on the positive side..

They placed a lot of pressure on themselves to play a certain way and they ended up failing. Now people are down on them and there's nothing left but for them to go out and just play the game.

The interpretation... if you don't like Roy is exactly what he said. :)

I agree with this. The only problem is that it admits that they don't play well under pressure ie. the playoffs.

There's a major league slip of the tongue. But if you think he actually means the way that many are going to interpret that, you're crazy.

Exactly. Glad somebody said it. This is way overblown.

Derek Roy is a pretty successful hockey player. You don't get there because you play under lower expectations. These guys live for the big games, for the big moments. But, those moments make you not be able to play your game, essp when one thing goes wrong, something else goes wrong. Pretty sure he meant once things started going bad, it was a really uphill battle, but now, with fans doubting them, and not expecting them to succeed, it's easier to focus on the basics and get into a groove.

All I gotta say is you'd never hear this quote from Henrik Zetterberg or Teemu Selanne, or Martin Brodeur, or Brian Gionta, etc. You're hearing this filth from Roy because he's not disappointed that they aren't winning. He's relieved. They've finally dropped to a level where the pressure is off and now he feels comfortable.

Well, he can take that attitude and go play for the Blue Jackets or some other crap team. He'd have fit right in on the Thrashers. Or maybe he and Yashin can buddy up.

All I know is that I want a player who comes out and says that they've struggled and they're going to keep playing hard and try to win every game.

But since this mindset exists in Derek Roy, then it no doubt exists in this team. He's a cancer and his BS attitude can take a hike.

No offense to Bill Hoppe, but it's a damning statement that all of 10 people will read.

Maybe you don't but you're under estimating Bill Hoppe. He's no national reporter, but we're lucky as fans to have him because he gives great updates on the team. His stuff is printed in few small papers, plus he has 2.5k followers on twitter. Most of which im guessing are Sabres fans. Then people post his stuff on forums... I enjoy reading Hoppe's work and tweets.

All I gotta say is you'd never hear this quote from Henrik Zetterberg or Teemu Selanne, or Martin Brodeur, or Brian Gionta, etc. You're hearing this filth from Roy because he's not disappointed that they aren't winning. He's relieved. They've finally dropped to a level where the pressure is off and now he feels comfortable.

Well, he can take that attitude and go play for the Blue Jackets or some other crap team. He'd have fit right in on the Thrashers. Or maybe he and Yashin can buddy up.

All I know is that I want a player who comes out and says that they've struggled and they're going to keep playing hard and try to win every game.

But since this mindset exists in Derek Roy, then it no doubt exists in this team. He's a cancer and his BS attitude can take a hike.

Judging from your signature quote from Regehr he would never think anything like that never mind state it in public. I doubt very much he would put up with that kind of BS either.

Regardless of what Roy meant by it he should never have said it. He should be in the pressbox, or better yet at home, waiting for his ticket out of Buffalo.

Exactly. Glad somebody said it. This is way overblown.

Derek Roy is a pretty successful hockey player. You don't get there because you play under lower expectations. These guys live for the big games, for the big moments. But, those moments make you not be able to play your game, essp when one thing goes wrong, something else goes wrong. Pretty sure he meant once things started going bad, it was a really uphill battle, but now, with fans doubting them, and not expecting them to succeed, it's easier to focus on the basics and get into a groove.

Certainly you can see that his statement implies that he CAN'T focus on the basics when expectations for success are higher. This is the very definition of "choker."

And if those very moments that you suggest they "live for" are the moments that make them "unable to play their game" then what are we saying here?

And while I appreciate the skill and dedication it took for Roy to become a pro hockey player, he has done very little to suggest he is any more successful at it than your average player. He had a really good year playing with Vanek and Max while facing the third lines of most teams, and hasn't been able to replicate that success, IMO anyway.

Overblown or not, Roy's comments are a window to his psyche as a professional athlete. And I'm not surprised he is lacking.

GO SABRES!!!

Judging from your signature quote from Regehr he would never think anything like that never mind state it in public. I doubt very much he would up with that kind of BS either.

Regarless of what Roy meant by it he should never have said it. He should be in the pressbox, or better yet at home, waiting for his ticket out of Buffalo.

Which is why I liked that quote from Regehr so much. It's honest. He means it. And he wants to win.

I'm just glad it finally let me get rid of the ancient Adam Mair quote I've had there for several years now.

Unfortunately it's still the same message.

Maybe you don't but you're under estimating Bill Hoppe. He's no national reporter, but we're lucky as fans to have him because he gives great updates on the team. His stuff is printed in few small papers, plus he has 2.5k followers on twitter. Most of which im guessing are Sabres fans. Then people post his stuff on forums... I enjoy reading Hoppe's work and tweets.

Gotta agree with this. I've talked to him at the Dev Camp and he's a nice knowledgeable un-stuckup dude.

I wish I had your eloquence. Very nicely put, especially the bolded part.

GO SABRES!!!

Wow. I have been reading this blog, consistently, for a couple of years now. this is my first post. chz always seems to have the breaking news and the inside scoop. Thank you chz, it is what keeps me coming back. the attitude on the board has really plummeted lately. this season sucks, changes do need to be made, this is the first time in my life that i am bored watching hockey, but i do know that it is only the first half of the first year that t. pegs has owned the team. relax.

the overreaction to derek roy's comment is mind boggling.

k-9 wrote: "I'm all for simply waiving him. Don't care if they don't get anything in return. They didn't last season when they made their run without him. He is simply expendable at this point."

come on...seriously? thats a joke right? honestly i think it is great to hear a real comment from a player instead of the old status quo "we need to bury our chances, we need to work harder."

it's not fair for me to complain, being someone that has always been on the outside looking in and not contributing, but this board needs a change of attitude, just as our buffalo sabres do.

i promise to contribute from here on out.

who cares about what derek roy says....the guy has been playing through a shoulder injury almost all year and just came back from a horrible leg injury, and you guys have done nothing but crap on him.

Go Sabres. Destroy Those Leafs tonight!!!!!!!!!

I really hope it wasn't read as a shot at Bill. Obviously I was exaggerating more than a bit. Unfortunately it is a fact that nowhere near as many people will read this one as if he had said the same thing to the News. Then there are the people who did actually read it. My guess is most aren't scouring every single article trying to analyze every little word said. Most will gloss right over it.

At the end of the day, no one will care all that much that Derek Roy accidentally turned to the wrong page of the cliche handbook that every single pro athlete is handed at orientation.

Wow. I have been reading this blog, consistently, for a couple of years now. this is my first post. chz always seems to have the breaking news and the inside scoop. Thank you chz, it is what keeps me coming back. the attitude on the board has really plummeted lately. this season sucks, changes do need to be made, this is the first time in my life that i am bored watching hockey, but i do know that it is only the first half of the first year that t. pegs has owned the team. relax.

k-9 wrote: "I'm all for simply waiving him. Don't care if they don't get anything in return. They didn't last season when they made their run without him. He is simply expendable at this point."

come on...seriously? thats a joke right? honestly i think it is great to hear a real comment from a player instead of the old status quo "we need to bury our chances, we need to work harder."

it's not fair for me to complain, being someone that has always been on the outside looking in and not contributing, but this board needs a change of attitude, just as our buffalo sabres do.

who cares about what derek roy says....the guy has been playing through a shoulder injury almost all year and just came back from a horrible leg injury, and you guys have done nothing but crap on him.

I appreciate your input and welcome to the fray, but you're not going to change most of our minds about Roy.

If he has something to say, as a veteran on this team and in the NHL, that quote is NOT it. But that is what he said, and it's there for all to see. We've heard the whole "we just need to go out and play loose and have fun" line before, but adding in the concept that expectations on the team are low? That's a remark that only an idiot makes.

I appreciate your input and welcome to the fray, but you're not going to change most of our minds about Roy.

If he has something to say, as a veteran on this team and in the NHL, that quote is NOT it. But that is what he said, and it's there for all to see. We've heard the whole "we just need to go out and play loose and have fun" line before, but adding in the concept that expectations on the team are low? That's a remark that only an idiot makes.

The only thing that would've made the fire larger would be him telling us fans that they need to simplify their game more and that they are trying to hard to make it pretty for us fans... :death: :death:

by the way, welcome aboard koomkie :thumbsup:

Gotta agree with this. I've talked to him at the Dev Camp and he's a nice knowledgeable un-stuckup dude.

Of course, there was that tantrum he threw on this very board one fateful night...

Welcome and kudos on a very nicely written first post. I hope you post more often.

As to the bolded part, I wish I could say I was joking. I realize he's been bitten by the injury bug and I can cut him some slack for that. But his propensity to take shifts off and not get back down ice on the backcheck has been readily apparent for a long time now; long before his recent injuries.

But that's beside the point. We have two As on this team that seem to be content in going through the motions and not paying the price in the corners or battling for loose pucks seemingly more often than not. For whatever reason. I think that's irresponsible of ANY player, let alone two of your alternate captains.

This latest quote by Roy, regardless of his intention or meaning, is just the verbal confirmation of his attitude on the ice. He basically admits that he can't rise to the level that heightened expectations bring. That makes me wonder what DOES he expect? It makes me question his motivation as a player. And, given how the team responded to his absence last season, I believe we'd be better off without him sooner rather than later. And if that means DR doesn't have time to find the right buyer, then so be it.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm quickly becoming labeled as a Sabres fanboy but even I want Roy gone. I can appreciate what you are saying but the truth does stand that Roy went out and the Sabres improved. Roy's history speaks for itself. The only thing I am thankful to Roy for is that his injury last year was the catalyst for Vanek improving his game. I still think Vanek has a way to go but I cannot ignore his improvement.

Your point about a real comment does ring true. It's a nice thing to hear but you just can't say that things are better now that there are no expectations. It's really not true either. We have expectations they just aren't the same as they were at the beginning of the season. In the beginning most people had the expectation the Sabres would be improved and could make a solid run into the playoffs. Now the expectations are that Roy will be traded, Regier/Ruff fired, and a multitude of other things. If I were a player I'd rather have fans expecting me to help the team, not having them expecting me to be traded.

I was never much for words from professional athletes. Actions speak louder and Roy's actions certainly tell a story so much so that my 7 year old son who has a signed Roy jersey and wears #9 on his hockey team accepts that Roy will be traded. That's saying something given that 2 months ago any mention of it to him would get him upset.

Glad you jumped in...stick around, they keep telling me it gets better. :)

Thanx 4 the kind words. There are some great contributors here...

Now if we can get u to upload an avatar...

How about this one?

post-1415-0-41784100-1326232589_thumb.jpg

Hoppe's reply to my tweet:

"I don't think he meant it as a bad thing -- came off poorly, however."

Welcome and kudos on a very nicely written first post. I hope you post more often.

As to the bolded part, I wish I could say I was joking. I realize he's been bitten by the injury bug and I can cut him some slack for that. But his propensity to take shifts off and not get back down ice on the backcheck has been readily apparent for a long time now; long before his recent injuries.

But that's beside the point. We have two As on this team that seem to be content in going through the motions and not paying the price in the corners or battling for loose pucks seemingly more often than not. For whatever reason. I think that's irresponsible of ANY player, let alone two of your alternate captains.

This latest quote by Roy, regardless of his intention or meaning, is just the verbal confirmation of his attitude on the ice. He basically admits that he can't rise to the level that heightened expectations bring. That makes me wonder what DOES he expect? It makes me question his motivation as a player. And, given how the team responded to his absence last season, I believe we'd be better off without him sooner rather than later. And if that means DR doesn't have time to find the right buyer, then so be it.

GO SABRES!!!

Thanks for the kind welcome.

i think your reply backs up what you said quite well.

and i do understand the frustration with roy this year especially.

the good news is that he has a low cap hit, and has a history of solid numbers. so if they do decide to move him via"change of scenery"

then i am sure there will be takers. i actually do like roy a lot, and i think he gets a lot of crap that is underserved, but i am going to spend an extra amount of time watching him the next few games just for my own good.

i know this isnt a stafford thread, and i need no response to this, but i feel like he has really played hard and well for a majority of the games this year. there have been games where he has been noticeably bad, but most players have those games. i like how he has drove towards the net this year and gotten himself open for shots this year. it really does suck that he has been unable to sink some of the great chances he has had, and i hope that turns around. last year pommer, in my opinion, was the same way. he had so many chances and either missed the net or broke his stick. i would like to keep stafford and give him another year, even if only to hope that his production increases and his trade value goes up.

i would have never expected this from pommer this year, but the first time he wore the c in preseason i could tell how much he picked up his game and i thought he deserved the C after that. hopefully staff can relax a little so he can focus on the goals a little more.

go sabres!!!!

Archived