You can't make this stuff up! Roy:

Tony P

I just read this quote from Roy in Bill Hoppe's mid-season review http://tonawanda-new...t-halfway-point

"We had high expectations at the start of the year. We knew that,” said Sabres center Derek Roy, who has only eight goals and 24 points. “Going forward now there’s low expectations. So now it’s easier to play. We just play loose, play fun. Go out there and play hard.

What??? The pressure to play a regular season game at a high level, being paid as a professional, is too much? What is he gonna do if they should somehow make the play-offs? There ya have it folks: the problem with this team summed-up by Mr. Roy in a few short sentences.

Like we didn't know this already.

I would say the interpretation... if you want to look on the positive side..

They placed a lot of pressure on themselves to play a certain way and they ended up failing. Now people are down on them and there's nothing left but for them to go out and just play the game.

The interpretation... if you don't like Roy is exactly what he said. :)

There's a major league slip of the tongue. But if you think he actually means the way that many are going to interpret that, you're crazy.

i don't think that's a slip of the tongue. i think it's an inartful, but brutally honest, way of trooping out the familiar cliche of "we have little or nothing left to lose, so we know we can just let it all hang out -- have some fun -- play the game as if we were kids again on the pond or the canal" type thing.

credit to hoppe -- he got a quote that leaves the GM with no real choice other than to move the guy. see ya, roysie.

Just another reason I've watched less than 10 games this season.

i don't think that's a slip of the tongue. i think it's an inartful, but brutally honest, way of trooping out the familiar cliche of "we have little or nothing left to lose, so we know we can just let it all hang out -- have some fun -- play the game as if we were kids again on the pond or the canal" type thing.

credit to hoppe -- he got a quote that leaves the GM with no real choice other than to move the guy. see ya, roysie.

Not gonna happen - Darcy loves his "core".

I am speechless. Is he trying to get himself traded? Was he unclear that his actual play was telling enough? Is he that clueless? Wow. Just...wow.

GO SABRES!!!

I think you nailed it ... he wants out and this will certainly leave DR with no good reason not to make it happen. DR's love of the core be damned.

The sad truth is that it simply doesn't matter what Roy "meant" by what he said. No amount of explanation by Roy is going to fix that very damning statement given the trajectory of the team post Lucic. What a mess. I don't envy Lindy at all having to coach players like this. And I really don't want to hear that perhaps Roy and the team are just a reflection of Lindy Ruff because Ruff NEVER played the way Roy is suggesting.

I'm all for simply waiving him. Don't care if they don't get anything in return. They didn't last season when they made their run without him. He is simply expendable at this point.

GO SABRES!!!

POS Derek. I pay the same money for my tickets for every game. Get out and f off.

Watching 24/7 I thought of you and Pominville. You both would be hazed in the Flyers or Rangers locker room.

The sad truth is that it simply doesn't matter what Roy "meant" by what he said. No amount of explanation by Roy is going to fix that very damning statement given the trajectory of the team post Lucic. What a mess. I don't envy Lindy at all having to coach players like this. And I really don't want to hear that perhaps Roy and the team are just a reflection of Lindy Ruff because Ruff NEVER played the way Roy is suggesting.

I'm all for simply waiving him. Don't care if they don't get anything in return. They didn't last season when they made their run without him. He is simply expendable at this point.

GO SABRES!!!

No offense to Bill Hoppe, but it's a damning statement that all of 10 people will read.

Archived