What has happened to this franchise?

LabattBlue

Remember how they picked up Danny Brier from the Coyotes in exchange for Chris Gratton and a couple of draft picks? I sure the Sabres would make a trade like that a 100 times over if they could.

Regier has made a ton of trades in his tenure that were unbelievably lopsided in our favor. The problem now is that I wonder if he is too prone to hold out for those types of deals.

Not every trade has to be a total robbery. We know the Sabres were "close" to trading Derek Roy before this season began. How badly do you think they wish they could go back in time and just take the best deal they had on the table right then? If we were holding out for an extra draft pick so that the Roy trade could join Regier's "legendary list", we screwed up horribly. That deal needed to get done. We're dying now and our chances of making a good trade involving Derek Roy are basically down to zero.

Bottom line: How many good trades has Regier failed to complete because he was holding out for too much?

Well, there's two kinds. There's the Liger Millenials, and the D4rksabre and I type millenials (not sure who else is a millenial in this catagory, I just personally know Carter).

Just make sure you keep the two seperate.

I think you know who I am referring to since he is the only one to ever talk about being rewired. ;)

Happy New Year.

What happened???

I am sure many people have considered that Lindy Ruff system was conceived during the lean years when money was scarce, which ultimately influenced the pool of talent the sabres could pick from.

Remember how they picked up Danny Brier from the Coyotes in exchange for Chris Gratton and a couple of draft picks? I sure the Sabres would make a trade like that a 100 times over if they could.

I Also considered a few things lately after watching several past games on NHL Network.

After watching several games, I began too realize that the Sabres had a lot of 2nd thru 4th line players for a good number of years.

It seemed like Lindy made it work with a bunch of grinders, who sometimes showed flashes of talent.

I thought about some of the players that were let go; Adam Mair, Mike Grier, JP Dumont, Danny Briere, Daniel Pallie, Taylor Pyatt, Dmitri Kalinin, Ales Kotalik, Maxim Afinogenov, Andrew Peters, Chris Thorburn, Chris Drury...

Maybe it would be easier to just name the only players that are hold overs from those days.

After the 2005 - 2006 season, I felt like it was time for a change; system, players, etc.

The system worked with those types of players; however, now that they are all gone, can you keep on pushing the same system, or do you evolve?

How much has Lindy evolved as a coach?

Is he trying to recapture the glory years by implementing the same system, or is he right in the middle of reinventing a new team system?

Look how things turned out for the Capitals when they started tooling with their system.

We all knew change was coming, and change rarely is a simple procedure.

I am sure they will turn it around in the next few months; there is a lot of pride in that room, and I am sure they are sick of being embarrassed.

I always felt like the T.V. Networks, and advertisers had a lot to do with the Dallas game.

I can only imagine the Millions of dollars going down the drain because people were not watching that series.

Nice post, this is the one I meant to post on.

ESPN Power Rankings comment:

How patient is owner Terry Pegula going to be?

Thought that'd amuse all.

Ok maybe that is a bit much but I don't think it's fair blaming him for the Lucic situation considering he admitted his fault and went straight for him next time, unlike Mccormick and even Kaleta (can't remember if Kaleta was actually playing to be honest). He just seems to play a great grinding game and I think his faceoff game is extremely useful. I think my point is for the value we won't find many who do his job better. imho.

I'm a little late on this one but Gaustad was sort of the only option the Sabres had for challenging Lucic in the rematch. McCormick was out of the line up with his concussion and Kaleta did not play either (although I doubt he would ever fight Lucic anyway).

I'm a little late on this one but Gaustad was sort of the only option the Sabres had for challenging Lucic in the rematch. McCormick was out of the line up with his concussion and Kaleta did not play either (although I doubt he would ever fight Lucic anyway).

You may have a point, but my point is he seemed to respond best out of all the players in question. Roy still backs away from everything and Stafford has seemingly stopping playing that physical, hard work game since late October.

If you remember what you said, then try to act like it. Throwing hissy fits and then having to backpeddal just continues to knock you down. I know Chz wants to keep these discussions from happening through being a reasonable moderator, but I can't get on board with that. I want you to continue to show us who you are, because it's as satisfying as watching Regier hang himself. Other posters like you who used to actually contribute we're run out of here for less. I have no desire to see censorship save your hide. Revisionist history won't help you or this forum grow.

Can we change the name of this thread to "What has happened to this board?". Aside from the obvious edit, I'm not a big fan of those multiple question marks, so those had to go too.

If you remember what you said, then try to act like it. Throwing hissy fits and then having to backpeddal just continues to knock you down. I know Chz wants to keep these discussions from happening through being a reasonable moderator, but I can't get on board with that. I want you to continue to show us who you are, because it's as satisfying as watching Regier hang himself. Other posters like you who used to actually contribute we're run out of here for less. I have no desire to see censorship save your hide. Revisionist history won't help you or this forum grow.

I never use censorship don't accuse me of it. It wasnt what he said but how he said it.

I'm not commenting on whatever the hell you all are still arguing over just making a comment:

Its the 5 threads discussing EXACTLY the same thing that kill this forum. We have so few unique threads why would anyone join? Just food for thought :)

Food for thought - I haven't merged threads in weeks.

If the Sabres get rid of any more talent on this team without getting a new coaching staff in here to try THAT out, then they really are dumb.

What "Talent" has this team gotten rid of?

Thats the problem, they let go of fringe players and keep the "core group" together (except Connolly whome they finally decided to let walk).

MacArthur, Paille? Both guys that were not playing to their expected potential and let go. MacArthur had a great start to the last season, and then he disapeared. the Sabres weren't the only team to let him go, the Thrashers gave up on him too. Paille looked pretty good in the playoffs last year for Boston, but was invisible during the regular season and has been close to the same this season

You can change the 3rd and 4th liners around all you want, but the issue is on the top end of the lineup that needs to be shaken up. the bottom guys seem to be the ones playing the best and showing the most grit/heart on the team

I never use censorship don't accuse me of it. It wasnt what he said but how he said it.

Food for thought - I haven't merged threads in weeks.

And maybe part of it is the fact that nothing much has changed with the Sabres over the last two weeks so everyone is creating a thread complaining about similar stuff.

What "Talent" has this team gotten rid of?

Thats the problem, they let go of fringe players and keep the "core group" together (except Connolly whome they finally decided to let walk).

MacArthur, Paille? Both guys that were not playing to their expected potential and let go. MacArthur had a great start to the last season, and then he disapeared. the Sabres weren't the only team to let him go, the Thrashers gave up on him too. Paille looked pretty good in the playoffs last year for Boston, but was invisible during the regular season and has been close to the same this season

You can change the 3rd and 4th liners around all you want, but the issue is on the top end of the lineup that needs to be shaken up. the bottom guys seem to be the ones playing the best and showing the most grit/heart on the team

I'd go more specific. the 2nd line needs to produce, as does the 3rd line, show heart and play MUCH harder. Lacking a top line centre hurts, but with no secondary scoring its difficult to compete.

All this talk of Miller for Getzlaf is really very funny...no way we'd ever get Getzlaf for Miller. And, as stated before, as long as Lindy is here, along with the same old core players year after year, this is exactly what we will continue to get. Lindy seemingly can destroy just about any player these days, constantly trying to make them something they are not. Even Wilson on the Leafs doesn't bother to even try to change Kessel, brutal defensively. Nope, just let him do what he's good at...scoring goals. Then we have Lindy, who fights non-stop with Vanek to make him an better all-around player. Vanek is a awesome offensive player, and should be left alone to do his thing. The Sabre teams of old had very specific roles...French Connection scored (and were not expected to play defense much), while we had defensive lines, with Luce and Ramsey, to defend against the other team's top line.

Furthermore, every player knew his role, and nothing more or less is expected. Detroit and Boston are two teams that show that players need to know their roles on any given team. Lindy seems hell-bent on trying to change everyone on the team. We do have great prospects coming, but I feel Lindy will just hurt their careers too once they get here. Can see the difference in Kassien

already, and Lindy's only had him a little while. The way he's going, Kassien will be another "softie" afraid to take a penalty the way Lindy want's this team. Even if we got Lucic, Lindy would change him too! Darcy is excellent at drafting, but over-values the present lineup's worth in any trade talk. Anyways, hope Santa was good to everyone...

I would love to see Craig Ramsey back as head coach or Schoenfeld to light a fire under these guys back sides. That being said the Sabres biggest problem is that they were not able to go and get or draft for a legitimate #1 Center. If I were Darcy, I would be working on dumping as many guys as necessary to get enough picks and assets that would allow me to draft in the top 2 next year, if not trading for a number one this year is still out of the question... which it sounds like is the case. Start with Stafford and Roy and Boyes, consider Leino and Hecht and throw in a D... Grags and Sekera and maybe put Adam out there since he seems to be another softee with talent.

The short sightedness of the Regier and Ruff draft crowd is clear and Leino was such a long shot, the Sabres would have been better moving up the board. Get rid of Regier and his mumbo jumbo talk to other GMs. I am not adverse to giving Ruff another year or till the end of the year. But Ramsey's forchecking style would better fit this game and the way it is enjoyable to me.

Just a note: Whichever team ends up with the first pick will take Yakupov and there's no way in hell they would ever trade it.

Interesting comment from Dobbler today...TP spends millions on guys like Leino and Ehrhoff. Now they're hurt and Leino is replaced by Gerbe (3 points and a +3) and Ehrhoff by Leopold (5 points in 5 games) and McNabb (4 points in 2 games) - both better than the guys they replaced. So the question is, why did TP make Darcy go after these guys for inflated salaries when we had better talent here all the time?

To answer that, I think partly it was trying to make a splash. TP wanted to come in like the cavalry and put his stamp on this team...putting everyone on notice that there's a new owner in town and the Sabres WILL win the Cup.

Perhaps he overdid it.

Just a note: Whichever team ends up with the first pick will take Yakupov and there's no way in hell they would ever trade it.

Interesting comment from Dobbler today...TP spends millions on guys like Leino and Ehrhoff. Now they're hurt and Leino is replaced by Gerbe (3 points and a +3) and Ehrhoff by Leopold (5 points in 5 games) and McNabb (4 points in 2 games) - both better than the guys they replaced. So the question is, why did TP make Darcy go after these guys for inflated salaries when we had better talent here all the time?

To answer that, I think partly it was trying to make a splash. TP wanted to come in like the cavalry and put his stamp on this team...putting everyone on notice that there's a new owner in town and the Sabres WILL win the Cup.

Perhaps he overdid it.

But they aren't essentially replacing those guys...

Gerbe had a regular spot in the lineup prior to Leino getting here. Leino was brought in for a different skill set. Ehrhoff and Leopold are pretty much the same players, just Ehrhoff is usually better (look at his career stats and then Leopold's). Now, look at Mcnabb thru the FULL 16 games he's played. 4 points total! funny how that is left out. and last I knew, it was only 3 points in 2 games. Ehrhoff was still in when he scored his goal (well it was the game that he went down). So he has 3 assists since Ehrhoff went down. The argument that the talent was already here only tells a part of the story.

Perhaps he overdid it.

I don't think the replacement players are more talented, but IMHO the biggest difference is that the replacements are hungry and fighting for permanent roster spots on this team ... I would include Leopold in that group since he sees this effort and wants to stay on the team ... he remembers what happened to that Morrisson (SP?) guy.

Why is my reply imbedded in the oroginal post?

Perhaps he overdid it.

Leino has been a disappointment so far and was definately a panic buy, as it were. Leopold is half the player Ehrhoff is, but only half. his had a good run recently and is a solid defender but trying to compare them is a little silly, especially over such a small time scale. Mcnabb is a great prospect so far but at the moment he has something to prove and has made plenty of mistakes.

Leopold is half the player Ehrhoff is, but only half. his had a good run recently and is a solid defender but trying to compare them is a little silly, especially over such a small time scale.

Leopold and Ehrhoff are not as far apart in talent as you state. Is Ehrhoff the better player? Yes, but not by a large margin.

Leopold and Ehrhoff are not as far apart in talent as you state. Is Ehrhoff the better player? Yes, but not by a large margin.

Maintaining between 40-50 points in all of the last three seasons plus being a career +63 vs a career high of 35 points last year and a career -27. Stats aren't everything but damn, Ehrhoff has been a top 2 Dman over the last two seasons and Leopold has been a great 3/4 dman. Ok maybe not half the player but to say Leopold is just as good is, well, ridiculous.

The main difference between the two is that Ehrhoff is more willing to use his body and he likes to shoot a hell of a lot more. Ehrhoff is a much higher end player offensively, but for whatever reason since coming here, Leopold has really found his scoring touch.

No, you didn't, but my reply wasn't to you in the first place, it was to Bullwinkle.

Now they're hurt and Leino is replaced by Gerbe (3 points and a +3) and Ehrhoff by Leopold (5 points in 5 games) and McNabb (4 points in 2 games) - both better than the guys they replaced

Pretty clear that the intimation was that Leopold was as good as Ehrhoff.

I keep checking this board and hoping to see a new pinned thread with breaking news about some major move...

Wasn't there going to be a meeting this week between TB, TP and DR?

Word is Greg Sutch isn't playing tonight for the colts. I know, small news but seems something is up.

Not trying to be that guy that's always posting rumors but this sounds legit (at least somewhat)

helenenothelen Helene Elliott

just had chat with Ducks GM Bob Murray. says he has two untouchables--Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu--but anyone else is in play. Says he's

helenenothelen Helene Elliott

not rebuilding and seeking draft picks. if he trades a core player, it would be for another core-type player

Soooo Getzlaf could fix this problem.

Archived