What has happened to this franchise?

LabattBlue

You mentioned why Ennis. I'm curious as to your reasons for the other three. I don't necessarily disagree with any of them, just wondering what your rationale is.

Roy - someone will take him. I'm sick of his up and downs. Perhaps he shapes up with someone else in the locker room who calls him out. Look at him getting benched for not hustling is butt back on a turnover he made. The biggest issue is that other times he actually does hustle. It's just too inconsistent for me. I think another team would look at him and say we've got the guys to put around him that will make him better. So we could get something for Roy and that makes him available. I won't discount the rumors about his character or the fans seeming disgust with him. But from a hockey perspective he has some value in a package deal.

Gragnani/Sekera - you don't need both of these guys and I'm not sure you need either of them. Sekera has a penchant for making a 2 foot pass in the defensive zone to a guy who is being covered by the same guy he is trying to avoid. It's infuriating to watch because it ends up in a turnover or a failed chance to get out of the zone or worse.. a goal. He's just not good enough for me. Gragnani is another one of those potentials. His +/- was actually pretty good but he makes some really bad plays. REALLY BAD. I don't think the Sabres need 4 offensive defensemen in the lineup each night. Get rid of them. Now, if your plan is to let Leopold go (is his contract done this year?) then keep one of them. Sekera had the most value after the 2010 Olympics when he played really well. He probably had some value last year after he had a few great games coming off his benching. I've not seen it this year and I don't know what he's got left.

I'm fine with trading Sekera if it brings back a reasonable yield, but I wouldn't want to just dump him. I think he has a really high upside. He also doesn't strike me as a locker room problem. And overall while it seems like they have too many defensemen, it also has again become clear that there really is no such thing.

I feel pretty much the same way about Ennis -- high upside, OK with trading him, but don't want to just dump him. I also don't think the Sabres can have too many smurfs and prefer Gerbe to Ennis. But I prefer both of them to Roy, and I think the Sabres can have 2 smurfs (but not 3).

I completely agree with the bolded part, and would just add that they need to be top 6 forwards. Those 2 players are the ones that prior ownership pissed away on Black Sunday. This franchise is still paying the price. If DR can't see that and can't change it, then it's time to find someone who can.

I take Gerbe over a lot of the players on the team. His attitude is perfect. He has a NASTY wrist shot and great speed. He's going to get banged up from time to time but there's no doubt that the Sabres are much better when he's in the lineup.

I would not DUMP anyone.. what's the point? If you can't improve the club then stick with what you have. I disagree about Sekera, I think we've seen the best he's going to give us. I would never think he's a locker room problem. We have too many of the WRONG defensemen, that's the problem in my opinion.

Nice post. I'd prefer to keep Gerbe over Ennis if it came to it though. I think Roy has a place in our team at the minute (his one of only a few players capable of putting up 70 points every season, like it or not we will miss that unless we replace it).

I completely agree with the last paragraph, wasn't Recchi in a similar role with the Bruins last year? We have Regehr at the back end but maybe if we can find someone for Roy's RW like Doan we have a chance.

Out of interest I'd keep Gausted all the way, he's consistently in the top 5 for faceoff wins and plays a solid role as a 3rd/4th line center.

They said Tim Connolly was capable of things too. Roy can be capable but isn't doing it. He's got a motivation issue as I said above. If you can correct that great but it's not coming from his "friends" who've grown up around him. Vanek has realized it and while there are a few times I think Vanek can give a bit more (put a body on a guy, skate a little harder) I realize he's a floater. Still, he has improved his game dramatically over 2 years ago when most nights I wanted him on the bench. I'd love to see him penalty kill. He EASILY has the best hand-eye coordination on the team and might knock out a few passes that others miss plus you have his potential to score shorties.

I agree about Gaustad. He's a 4th liner and you leave him there.

What is the limit to what you would pay him though??? I think the price is going to be too high, I think its a little too high now.

Also a question to all the posters out there.... How lucky do you think that management got after the lockout. They had a team that didnt look good on paper based on the old NHL. Then BOOM it all comes together perfectly to work in the new NHL. How much was luck? How much was front office genius? How much was lindy coaching into that team?

What's he on at the moment? I'd say anything more than $2.5Mill is really pushing it. As I say his one of the best faceoff men in the league, happy to play any minutes and with anyone. Great role model and also the main guy to challenge the team (and himself) after the Miller-Lucic incident. Very classy player. Also the only player to have made Stafford look good (a couple of times I've seen Gausted stay late after a shift, dig the puck out after dumping it in and pass to Stafford for a chance, once or twice but still made me smile). Meh I like him, despite him having little to no offensive skill.

I think how well the front office did post-lockout is the only reason they have a job. I think it was more by design than luck. Ruff also did a great job coaching the team.

My limit for Gaustad is $1.5MM x 2 years. I think Limey is well overstating his value. I think he's a pretty good 4th line center who can be the #3 center in a pinch but that's it. He has zero offensive skill. And as for the intangibles -- while I liked that part of his game last year, he lost any claim to those qualities with his starring role in the Lucic-Miller debacle. Moreover, I don't see how ANY forward on the team (other than Gerbe) can be credited with any leadership or other intangible quality after this pathetic half-season's performance.

A multi-million-dollar, multi-year contract that includes a raise over current compensation needs to be a reward for exceptional performance. When it's given out to whichever mediocre forward has an expiring contract, the incentives get screwed up, resulting in the atrocious CF we're now seeing.

As for whether management was "lucky" post-lockout: I don't think so. I think DR did a terrific job putting together a great team on the cheap, and Lindy did a terrific job coaching them. TG and LQ then made a series of bad decisions (first Grier and Dumont, then Briere and Drury, then Soupy, giving extensions to Roy, TC and Max, etc.), which flowed into DR making a series of bad decisions (overpaying for Pommer and Hecht, not revamping the top 6, not bringing in any blood-and-guts leaders at forward), which have all combined to lead this team to its current residence in poopyville.

I would not DUMP anyone.. what's the point? If you can't improve the club then stick with what you have.

I guess the point of dumping someone is the addition-by-subtraction theory, which operated beautifully last year with Roy.

Folks,

I really think we have a coaching issue here.

While I've been a fan and supporter of Lindy for many years, I think his "game" has been figured out by the rest of the league and his work in BUF should come to an end.

When the season started (and we were healthy), there was some proven talent on the team. Boyes, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Myers, Leino, Roy, Vanek, Miller. These are pretty big names. Had we not signed the new guys someone else would have and likely for the same money. If you recall, the free agent pool was thin this year and I think we did ok with these new guys considering what else was out there.

IMO, this is a coaching problem. The talent is there. They have proven stats over many years (except Leino/Myers) that demonstrates their abilities. It's the coaches job to bring that together and Lindy has fallen flat.

Yes, we've been hit by injuries, but every team in the league is at some point. We have depth in our system and again, it's coaching that is bringing us down.

Some players are ready to leave, but the core of this team is strong and can be a contender. Everyone is screaming for Stafford's and Roy's blood, but they are two of our top five scorers this year. Who do we get to replace them? Get rid of them and see what the kids can do? They're doing that in Carolina this year and they are almost dead last in the league. We need a new coach.

Yes, we've been hit by injuries, but every team in the league is at some point. We have depth in our system and again, it's coaching that is bringing us down.

Some players are ready to leave, but the core of this team is strong and can be a contender. Everyone is screaming for Stafford's and Roy's blood, but they are two of our top five scorers this year. Who do we get to replace them? Get rid of them and see what the kids can do? They're doing that in Carolina this year and they are almost dead last in the league. We need a new coach.

AHAHAHAHA... there are by my unofficial count at least 100 players with more points in the nhl this year than Roy let alone Stafford. The sabres have NO secondary scoring. To say this core is strong and a contender is a joke. In 5 years they have never once with this core come anywheres near "close" to being a contender.

Players who will replace Roy and Stafford within the next 3 years IMHO:

LUKE ADAM (more points than stafford only a few less than Roy)

ZACK KASSIAN (0.375ppga to staffords 0.510ppga) I am just going to guess that with Leino as their pivot both will surpass Roy and Staffords production by next year for Adam and then the year after for Kassian.

As for your point about coaching, we need a new GM who can than decide what to do with the coaching situation.

Folks,

While I've been a fan and supporter of Lindy for many years, I think his "game" has been figured out by the rest of the league and his work in BUF should come to an end.

When the season started (and we were healthy), there was some proven talent on the team. Boyes, Ehrhoff, Regehr, Myers, Leino, Roy, Vanek, Miller. These are pretty big names. Had we not signed the new guys someone else would have and likely for the same money. If you recall, the free agent pool was thin this year and I think we did ok with these new guys considering what else was out there.

IMO, this is a coaching problem. The talent is there. They have proven stats over many years (except Leino/Myers) that demonstrates their abilities. It's the coaches job to bring that together and Lindy has fallen flat.

The bolded part is the issue. They are barely 2 of our top 5. Roy is third, only because Adam was taken off of the Van/Pom combo-pack line, and Stafford is 5th...barely. Their +/- and streakiness is atrocious. There is no consistency to their game whatsoever. In my opinion, it's not coaching. It's the fact that those two are WAY too comfortable with their job. They feel that with DR as GM, the guy who doesn't pull off midseason trades prior to the deadline, they have all the job security in the world, especially since one of them just inked a new deal.

The GM needs to trade someone to freshen things up. This team needs a change, and the coach isn't the primary issue IMO. DR has been lambasted about his way of trying to make deals. If this is the case, that's part of the problem.

The core of this team is not strong by any means. Only Vanek and Pominville have been consistent. Gaustad is struggling to find the back of the net at all. Roy and Stafford have more bad streaks than a pair of overworn underwear has, and Hecht is stil, well, Hecht. Can some of it be attributed to coaching? yes, but the way the PLAYERS play is on them. Look at the stats provided by someone else. When the Sabres are down, even after 1 period, they rarely win. It's up to the players to not give up, and that's all I see in most of the games, as soon as they get down, they beat themselves. That's all on the 18 men dressed and with skates. Coaching can only go so far, and seeing as how Ruff can't lace up and give effort on the ice, the players need to.

Folks,

I completely disagree with this statement. Far too much of the core appears to be mentally weak. Stafford and Roy seem to exemplify this the most and that is why they are this years Connolly in the eyes of many fans.

Those 2 are both officially in leadership positions on this squad and neither 'leads' via any reasonably accepted definition of that word. I expect that either or both (especially both combined) can be used to get something reasonable in return so the team doesn't necessarily have to be turned over to 'the kids.'

Though Pominville is the captain of this squad, Roy is still very much a part of the leadership of this team and that needs to stop. Right before the Bills went on their Superbowl run, the team let 2 longtime team leaders, Devlin and Smerlas, leave via Plan B. Though both were leaders on the team, and Smerlas wasn't completely replaced (an undersized Jeff Wright became the NT), the team was better that next season as some of the younger guys really took control of the team.

Sometimes addition by subtraction is the way to go.

I know we talk a lot about leadership but some real leaders only emerge when they are designated as leaders. Until that time they follow and are good teammates. I am simply saying perhaps if some of the "core" are removed real leaders will come forward.

Agree 100%,

I completely disagree with this statement. Far too much of the core appears to be mentally weak. Stafford and Roy seem to exemplify this the most and that is why they are this years Connolly in the eyes of many fans.

Those 2 are both officially in leadership positions on this squad and neither 'leads' via any reasonably accepted definition of that word. I expect that either or both (especially both combined) can be used to get something reasonable in return so the team doesn't necessarily have to be turned over to 'the kids.'

Though Pominville is the captain of this squad, Roy is still very much a part of the leadership of this team and that needs to stop. Right before the Bills went on their Superbowl run, the team let 2 longtime team leaders, Devlin and Smerlas, leave via Plan B. Though both were leaders on the team, and Smerlas wasn't completely replaced (an undersized Jeff Wright became the NT), the team was better that next season as some of the younger guys really took control of the team.

Agree 100%.

I know we talk a lot about leadership but some real leaders only emerge when they are designated as leaders. Until that time they follow and are good teammates. I am simply saying perhaps if some of the "core" are removed real leaders will come forward.

This is similar to the addition by subtraction idea that was tossed around with guys like Tim Connolly. By removing what many of us are referring to as dead weight at this point (Roy, Stafford, maybe Pommers), it leaves room for the team to move on naturally without them.

We don't know the outcome, but it's a risk we have to accept.

i've been away from the board - partly because i haven't watched much hockey of late, partly because of holidays (that affected the first reason), and partly because the team just stinks (what i have seen, i have not liked, at all).

i also want to join/repeat the appreciation for the input of the LTS poster. solid stuff.

as usual, taro is spot on, and i agree wholeheartedly.

the more i follow hockey (and any pro sport, for that matter), the more i come to believe that the difference between the good teams and the not-so-good teams, and the difference between the good teams and the great teams, has more to do with what's going on between the ears than it does with god-given talent (and, every now and then, a team with incredible mental toughness and focus can jump right from being not-so-good, to being great, but usually the mental aspect is worth one step up).

between miller's profound moodiness, to the recent quotes in the paper about how the home crowd shouldn't just boo bad play (and thereby add to the team's problems), to the infamous mouse potatoes line from stafford, there is a fundamental douche-frat-smirk-immaturity-stank to this team that just won't go away. the fact that pominville is our captain is emblematic of this; he's a fine top-6 forward and could be a key part of a contender, but he's not a leader of men -- he isn't -- he's the best option of the bunch because he's sufficiently responsible, respectable, and respectful.

more than anything hockey-related, i look forward to a new incarnation of this team.

I never said that Roy/Stafford were breaking records. I'm simply pointing out that the two seemingly worst players on the team are in fact in the top five of team scoring. No one on this team is very good right now in comparison to most of the league.

Sounds like some people want to blow up the roster, get rid of Darcy, but keep Ruff. If these proven vets are no good, then what do you have? Nothing but kids who have had some bright spots, but who will also likely hit rough patches as well. I stand by what I said. Ruff is not bringing the Cup to BUF. Keeping him around and hoping that a wholesale roster change is going to fix things is not realistic in my view.

AHAHAHAHA... there are by my unofficial count at least 100 players with more points in the nhl this year than Roy let alone Stafford. The sabres have NO secondary scoring. To say this core is strong and a contender is a joke. In 5 years they have never once with this core come anywheres near "close" to being a contender.

Players who will replace Roy and Stafford within the next 3 years IMHO:

LUKE ADAM (more points than stafford only a few less than Roy)

ZACK KASSIAN (0.375ppga to staffords 0.510ppga) I am just going to guess that with Leino as their pivot both will surpass Roy and Staffords production by next year for Adam and then the year after for Kassian.

So...is Roy now not as good as Getzlaf? Or is he? Which is it?

the more i follow hockey (and any pro sport, for that matter), the more i come to believe that the difference between the good teams and the not-so-good teams, and the difference between the good teams and the great teams, has more to do with what's going on between the ears than it does with god-given talent (and, every now and then, a team with incredible mental toughness and focus can jump right from being not-so-good, to being great, but usually the mental aspect is worth one step up).

between miller's profound moodiness, to the recent quotes in the paper about how the home crowd shouldn't just boo bad play (and thereby add to the team's problems), to the infamous mouse potatoes line from stafford, there is a fundamental douche-frat-smirk-immaturity-stank to this team that just won't go away. the fact that pominville is our captain is emblematic of this; he's a fine top-6 forward and could be a key part of a contender, but he's not a leader of men -- he isn't -- he's the best option of the bunch because he's sufficiently responsible, respectable, and respectful.

more than anything hockey-related, i look forward to a new incarnation of this team.

Right on.

Sounds like some people want to blow up the roster, get rid of Darcy, but keep Ruff. If these proven vets are no good, then what do you have? Nothing but kids who have had some bright spots, but who will also likely hit rough patches as well. I stand by what I said. Ruff is not bringing the Cup to BUF. Keeping him around and hoping that a wholesale roster change is going to fix things is not realistic in my view.

The only thing these "vets" are "proven" at is suckitude.

I never said that Roy/Stafford were breaking records. I'm simply pointing out that the two seemingly worst players on the team are in fact in the top five of team scoring. No one on this team is very good right now in comparison to most of the league.

Nobody saying that a wholesale roster change is right is advocating for keeping Ruff. Most of us are advocating for a player or two being changed out (I.E. Roy and/or Stafford traded for someone else), and keeping Ruff, and get rid of DR. I am definitely not calling for a roster blowup, just a few small changes that will resonate thru the locker room.

They aren't the worst players on the team by far. They are players that have been given leadership roles on the team who are ill-suited for leadership roles at best. If they could slide to the side and have other leaders assume that role for them, I would be much more inclined to keep them around, but I don't see how you remove the 'A' from their sweaters on a full time basis without creating a hit to the team chemistry.

But if you remove them from the team you can significantly alter the team chemistry. That both have shown enough (30 goal scorer, near ppg player respectively) to garner interest from other teams, they could be moved and possibly even for that elusive 'leadership' type top 6 forward that the team truly needs.

Leadership and a #1 center have been this team's biggest needs for quite some time. Converting those 2 into something else probably won't bring that #1 center, but it could definitely help with the leadership - potentially both in who comes back in trade and by altering the dynamic in that comfy cavern that Pegula hath wraught down at street level in the Mmarena.

They aren't the worst players on the team by far. They are players that have been given leadership roles on the team who are ill-suited for leadership roles at best. If they could slide to the side and have other leaders assume that role for them, I would be much more inclined to keep them around, but I don't see how you remove the 'A' from their sweaters on a full time basis without creating a hit to the team chemistry.

But if you remove them from the team you can significantly alter the team chemistry. That both have shown enough (30 goal scorer, near ppg player respectively) to garner interest from other teams, they could be moved and possibly even for that elusive 'leadership' type top 6 forward that the team truly needs.

Leadership and a #1 center have been this team's biggest needs for quite some time. Converting those 2 into something else probably won't bring that #1 center, but it could definitely help with the leadership - potentially both in who comes back in trade and by altering the dynamic in that comfy cavern that Pegula hath wraught down at street level in the Mmarena.

Very well said.

I started looking to the future about a month ago, what I've seen from this teams supposed "core" has been absolutely atrocious.

If this team wins that elusive cup anytime soon, the core isn't going to be composed of Roy, Stafford, Pominville, Gaustad and Vanek.

What i CAN see, is a seasoned core group composed of guys like Adam, Kassian, Gerbe, Myers, McNabb, Foligno, and hopefully Armia. I do think Vanek will remain a sabre, and could be a veteran presence on that team. We need players who have intensity, drive, and that desire to win. There is huge potential for our farm system. We can bring in skill guys to fill scoring holes, but what our core needs is heart and drive before all else. This group coming up seems to have that. The sooner they push out the old guard the better IMO.

I am trying hard to understand what it must be like to be a Millenial? Rewired, nothing but 1's & 0's floating around in my brain, having to deal with baby boomers and other lesser generations, etc...

:lol:

Well, there's two kinds. There's the Liger Millenials, and the D4rksabre and I type millenials (not sure who else is a millenial in this catagory, I just personally know Carter).

Just make sure you keep the two seperate.

I am trying hard to understand what it must be like to be a Millenial? Rewired, nothing but 1's & 0's floating around in my brain, having to deal with baby boomers and other lesser generations, etc...

Some with far fewer 'closeds' than 'opens' it would appear. ;)

Its fun, you get to document you're entire life on facebook. It's like writing a memoir simultaneously.

Well, there's two kinds. There's the Liger Millenials, and the D4rksabre and I type millenials (not sure who else is a millenial in this catagory, I just personally know Carter).

Just make sure you keep the two seperate.

OOOHHH!!! ME! ME! PICK ME!!

wanna know the best part about this board? i keep being told I've said stuff that I haven't said ever. Like everything in the above post for instance. From the "millenials think in binary" crap right down to the "lesser generations" drivel.

Drop it for your own sake dude.

Roy - someone will take him. I'm sick of his up and downs. Perhaps he shapes up with someone else in the locker room who calls him out. Look at him getting benched for not hustling is butt back on a turnover he made. The biggest issue is that other times he actually does hustle. It's just too inconsistent for me. I think another team would look at him and say we've got the guys to put around him that will make him better. So we could get something for Roy and that makes him available. I won't discount the rumors about his character or the fans seeming disgust with him. But from a hockey perspective he has some value in a package deal.

Gragnani/Sekera - you don't need both of these guys and I'm not sure you need either of them. Sekera has a penchant for making a 2 foot pass in the defensive zone to a guy who is being covered by the same guy he is trying to avoid. It's infuriating to watch because it ends up in a turnover or a failed chance to get out of the zone or worse.. a goal. He's just not good enough for me. Gragnani is another one of those potentials. His +/- was actually pretty good but he makes some really bad plays. REALLY BAD. I don't think the Sabres need 4 offensive defensemen in the lineup each night. Get rid of them. Now, if your plan is to let Leopold go (is his contract done this year?) then keep one of them. Sekera had the most value after the 2010 Olympics when he played really well. He probably had some value last year after he had a few great games coming off his benching. I've not seen it this year and I don't know what he's got left.

I take Gerbe over a lot of the players on the team. His attitude is perfect. He has a NASTY wrist shot and great speed. He's going to get banged up from time to time but there's no doubt that the Sabres are much better when he's in the lineup.

I would not DUMP anyone.. what's the point? If you can't improve the club then stick with what you have. I disagree about Sekera, I think we've seen the best he's going to give us. I would never think he's a locker room problem. We have too many of the WRONG defensemen, that's the problem in my opinion.

They said Tim Connolly was capable of things too. Roy can be capable but isn't doing it. He's got a motivation issue as I said above. If you can correct that great but it's not coming from his "friends" who've grown up around him. Vanek has realized it and while there are a few times I think Vanek can give a bit more (put a body on a guy, skate a little harder) I realize he's a floater. Still, he has improved his game dramatically over 2 years ago when most nights I wanted him on the bench. I'd love to see him penalty kill. He EASILY has the best hand-eye coordination on the team and might knock out a few passes that others miss plus you have his potential to score shorties.

I agree about Gaustad. He's a 4th liner and you leave him there.

Roy has regularly put up 70 point seasons over the last few. The fact that he is NO leader, can be really inconsistant and has shown no real allegiance to the team I'd agree with, but unless we can get another 70 point producer (we have Vanek, Pom at a stretch and thats it) I would keep Roy. However if we could get a 70-80 point producing center for Roy/Stafford I'd be happy to move them both to get it.

Archived