What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

Leopold doesn't count? Past two games they look like the Sedin twins...in all the wrong ways.

He's had plenty of competition, but IMHO Leopold has been the worst Sabre on the ice in the past couple of weeks. The Sabres really need to unload him at the deadline.

He's had plenty of competition, but IMHO Leopold has been the worst Sabre on the ice in the past couple of weeks. The Sabres really need to unload him at the deadline.

I had a bad feeling about this defense group before the season started, but I had no idea it would be this bad. Gragnani is nothing more than another Nathan Paetsch...where is he now? Leopold should go at the deadline or in the offseason. Next year...

Myers

Regehr

Sekera

Ehrhoff

McNabb(disclaimer...he has a lot of work to do)

F/A, trade or prospect(Brennan, Scheistel, Pysyk, etc...)

Weber or a veteran defensive defenseman to play the 5-6-7 role

I had a bad feeling about this defense group before the season started, but I had no idea it would be this bad. Gragnani is nothing more than another Nathan Paetsch...where is he now? Leopold should go at the deadline or in the offseason. Next year...

Myers

Regehr

Sekera

Ehrhoff

McNabb(disclaimer...he has a lot of work to do)

F/A, trade or prospect(Brennan, Scheistel, Pysyk, etc...)

Weber or a veteran defensive defenseman to play the 5-6-7 role

I thought our defense may have some defensive shortcomings, but it would be largely offset by the offense the back end could create. Whoops.

The top 5 are pretty much set for next year and I certainly expect them to bring back Weber in a 6/7 role. As for the other guy, we have no shortage of prospects in the system, unless some are moved out in trades.

Interesting point I found on Gragnani.

If Gragnani plays 65 games this season the Sabres will retain his rights, in other words, he'll be a RFA.

If he doesn't play those 65 games he's a UFA.

Would the Sabres be playing him, especially so much at the beginning of the season, over Weber because of this? I don't think so with all the injuries to D-men but it is curious.

If Gragnani plays 65 games this season the Sabres will retain his rights, in other words, he'll be a RFA.

Would the Sabres be playing him, especially so much at the beginning of the season, over Weber because of this? I don't think so with all the injuries to D-men but it is curious.

I'm surprised you're just seeing this now. It's been mentioned several times throughout the course of the season. Unless something crazy happens, it does look like he'll hit that mark.

Oh, and playoffs count toward the figure too. Yes, I'm laughing as I type this.

I'm surprised you're just seeing this now. It's been mentioned several times throughout the course of the season. Unless something crazy happens, it does look like he'll hit that mark.

Oh, and playoffs count toward the figure too. Yes, I'm laughing as I type this.

I remember seeing it early on but the more he plays, with the type of play he's showing, it's curious-er.

They're playing him over Weber because he's better than Weber.

I remember seeing it early on but the more he plays, with the type of play he's showing, it's curious-er.

He needs what, about 20 more games? Unless he gets hurt he'll get there easily. With a lost season, they might as well try to hold onto every asset possible. If he winds up being traded, I'd think it's a safe bet that he'll get the games with that other team. Why trade for him if you're not going to play him?

I say again: take the letters away from the entire current "leadership group." They have completely failed.

Give the C to Myers, 1 A to Gerbe and the other A to Regehr.

Wait until the deadline frenzy is at its peak, and unload Roy, Stafford, Pommer, Gaustad, Hecht, Boyes, Leopold and MAG. Load up on picks and prospects. Do NOT take on other team's bad contracts in trade. Use the last 6 weeks of the season to determine whether Kassian, Tropp, Chewie and/or Foligno can play full time in the NHL next year.

This summer, sign Parise and Doan as UFAs and another tough veteran center to be the #3. Keep plenty of cap space as dry powder in case Shea Weber or another elite player becomes available in trade, and use it along with the picks and prospects picked up at the deadline to make the deal.

Never again give fat, long-term contracts to guys who haven't earned them.

They're playing him over Weber because he's better than Weber.

Thats also a pretty big reason I think. Isn't Weber with Leopold at about a -7 over the road trip so far?

I say again: take the letters away from the entire current "leadership group." They have completely failed.

Give the C to Myers, 1 A to Gerbe and the other A to Regehr.

Wait until the deadline frenzy is at its peak, and unload Roy, Stafford, Pommer, Gaustad, Hecht, Boyes, Leopold and MAG. Load up on picks and prospects. Do NOT take on other team's bad contracts in trade. Use the last 6 weeks of the season to determine whether Kassian, Tropp, Chewie and/or Foligno can play full time in the NHL next year.

This summer, sign Parise and Doan as UFAs and another tough veteran center to be the #3. Keep plenty of cap space as dry powder in case Shea Weber or another elite player becomes available in trade, and use it along with the picks and prospects picked up at the deadline to make the deal.

Never again give fat, long-term contracts to guys who haven't earned them.

Weber won't be available that long. This season might have been a bust but I can't fault Pommer's season. What about Pommer 'C', Myers and Vanek 'A'? Van and Pom have had good seasons and Myers can be captain material for years to come I think.

I'll say that If we got rid of Ruff and Regier, Stafford and Roy most of the rest deserve another shot as at this stage management has to take the fall before anyone else.

Weber won't be available that long. This season might have been a bust but I can't fault Pommer's season. What about Pommer 'C', Myers and Vanek 'A'? Van and Pom have had good seasons and Myers can be captain material for years to come I think.

I wouldn't mind keeping Pommer, but this team has been a total failure under his captaincy. If we kept him, I wouldn't want him wearing the 'C'. That's why it's easier just to trade him (not to mention his value is higher than it has been in years).

I wouldn't mind keeping Pommer, but this team has been a total failure under his captaincy. If we kept him, I wouldn't want him wearing the 'C'. That's why it's easier just to trade him (not to mention his value is higher than it has been in years).

Rank the core in terms of who you want out of here by the start of next season. Knowing they all aren't going to be moved by then, would you want Pominville out of here before Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Miller, Gaustad & Roy?

Rank the core in terms of who you want out of here by the start of next season. Knowing they all aren't going to be moved by then, would you want Pominville out of here before Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Miller, Gaustad & Roy?

1) Roy

2) Stafford

3) Pominville

4) Gaustad (unless he resigns for ~1.25 mil a year)

5) Miller/Vanek if the price is right.

Are you insinuating that with all the problems with this team, you're worried about Pomminstein being captain?

If the captaincy carries this sort of weight explain the run they went on last year w/o one.

Game in and out the two players on this team you can rely on effort is Pomminstein and Ellis. Between the two I'll take Pomminstein.

Not sure why anyone wants to get rid of Pommers. He's 1 out of 3 or 4 that actually play 2 way hockey with some heart.

And 60/70 point producers who play the game with some heart and have a good, natural 2 way game aren't too common.

I know it's not for me but I'm joining in :D

1) Stafford

3) Roy

4) Gausted

Van, Miller and Pom I'd want to keep. Stafford I want gone so bad he gets 1 and 2.

Are you insinuating that with all the problems with this team, you're worried about Pomminstein being captain?

If the captaincy carries this sort of weight explain the run they went on last year w/o one.

Game in and out the two players on this team you can rely on effort is Pomminstein and Ellis. Between the two I'll take Pomminstein.

Really? Are you sure your not meaning Gerbe?

Really? Are you sure your not meaning Gerbe?

I haven't completely fallen in love with Gerbe. I see he has heart and all, but I think he gets lost out there sometimes. When he is out there does he score? Hit? Fight? Play good D? Get the puck out of the zone consistantly? Win battles on the wall? Take faceoffs? Not get Hurt? Talk on the Bench?

I know I am going to get jumped all over for this, but I think Gerbe is sort of a legend on the same lines as Kassian.

Archived