What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

This is a question I thought of because of something Inkman said in the game day thread. He said he would be OK if the Sabres tanked if it meant a top 3 pick.

Here is my question. Say the Sabres have a disastrous road trip going 1-4-1 or something like that and found themselves in a solid bottom 5 position in the overall league standings. Would you include a Top 5 pick in a package if you could get Ryan Getzlaf?

No.

The reason is very simple, 85% of the time, top 5 picks are impact players. Getz is nice and all, but a young, impact player to bring in with the likes of Armia, Kassian, McNabb, Ennis, Myers, Suhnder and Adam (yes, even Adam) would bring this club a whole lot closer to being a contender for years to come as opposed to 1 to 4 seasons with Getz in my opinion.

You keep that quality of pick and build a real winner.

This is a question I thought of because of something Inkman said in the game day thread. He said he would be OK if the Sabres tanked if it meant a top 3 pick.

Here is my question. Say the Sabres have a disastrous road trip going 1-4-1 or something like that and found themselves in a solid bottom 5 position in the overall league standings. Would you include a Top 5 pick in a package if you could get Ryan Getzlaf?

Depends what the draft class looks like, I suppose.

That said, I would think very long about obtaining a proven commodity versus a big ?.

I would give up a top 5 pick for getzlaf but Myers would no longer be in play.

Beat me to it.

In any event, I would guess that given Anaheim's recent hot streak, Getzlaf isn't going to be traded.

No.

The reason is very simple, 85% of the time, top 5 picks are impact players. Getz is nice and all, but a young, impact player to bring in with the likes of Armia, Kassian, McNabb, Ennis, Myers, Suhnder and Adam (yes, even Adam) would bring this club a whole lot closer to being a contender for years to come as opposed to 1 to 4 seasons with Getz in my opinion.

You keep that quality of pick and build a real winner.

Why wouldn't Getzlaf be considered a "young, impact player?"

Absolutely, but of course it depends on the exact package it would be. For example, I wouldn't package Vanek, McNabb and the pick or anything like that. A top 5 pick carries a lot of value, so I'm not sure what else we'd have to include. The pick, Roy and Sekera? The hard part about making the trade work is that even with the value of a top 5 pick, we still have to move out salary equivalent to Getzlaf's to make it work, and I'm really uncertain as to what Anaheim would want to make it work seeing as they said they want core players in return for core players.

I would give up a top 5 pick for getzlaf but Myers would no longer be in play.

Beat me to it.

In any event, I would guess that given Anaheim's recent hot streak, Getzlaf isn't going to be traded.

Actually, I have to change my answer due to Getzlaf's contract status. If Getzlaf were under contract for more than 1 more year? I would make the trade in a heartbeat. But a top 5 pick is too much to give up for a guy who is 1 season away from UFA status, who's spent his entire career in Southern CA and whose wife is from there.

Absolutely, but of course it depends on the exact package it would be. For example, I wouldn't package Vanek, McNabb and the pick or anything like that. A top 5 pick carries a lot of value, so I'm not sure what else we'd have to include. The pick, Roy and Sekera? The hard part about making the trade work is that even with the value of a top 5 pick, we still have to move out salary equivalent to Getzlaf's to make it work, and I'm really uncertain as to what Anaheim would want to make it work seeing as they said they want core players in return for core players.

My thought would be that the Top 5 pick would be the center piece of a deal. Maybe throw in another first round pick, Roy and Sekera.

Actually, I have to change my answer due to Getzlaf's contract status. If Getzlaf were under contract for more than 1 more year? I would make the trade in a heartbeat. But a top 5 pick is too much to give up for a guy who is 1 season away from UFA status, who's spent his entire career in Southern CA and whose wife is from there.

Exactly, he would need to sign a deal for more years in order for me to want to do that, and in that case Myers and a lot of other names are taken off the table. A mediocre player can be put on the block with the pick in that case, as a top 5 garners a lot.

Any deal would be contingent on Getzlaf's willingness to sign with the Sabres long term.

Any deal would be contingent on Getzlaf's willingness to sign with the Sabres long term.

But that can't happen until this summer -- so making the trade now would expose the Sabres to an unacceptable (IMHO) risk.

I suppose if you're talking about making the trade this summer, then an extension could be part of the deal. In that case I would definitely trade a top 5 pick for Getzlaf and would gladly sweeten the pot as needed with just about any asset the Sabres have other than Myers, Vanek, McNabb or Kassian.

why do so many of you want to rush Kassian-Foligno-Adam. From what I have seen Folingo is not ready for the nhl, Kassian has only shown it in spurts, and Adam being the most nhl ready on a line is a scary thought. Let the 3 simmer the rest of the season where they are and give them a off season to mature then unleash em on the nhl if they are all ready.

Thank You for being the only other person on this board that thinks Kassian isn't Peter Forsberg in his prime; If only it wasn't for LIndy.

Good post. Sorry to have snipped, but ...

Practice makes perfect. I did not see the practice, but from what you describe above I can see the results in each and every game.

"Uninspired practice" leads directly to unispired games. "Passing, shots = off" in practice leads directly to those results in games.

You read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking; however, I wasn't sure if it was just a media circus event, or if they were really practicing.

If you get a chance check it out, I think it is still on the Sabres site.

I understand there a lot of factors involved.

Gerbe definitely stood out amongst his peers; he could have quite once he broke a play up but, instead he drove to the other end in an attempt to finish and score.

Rob Ray shared an interesting fact about the Dominator; he said Hasek would get really mad if players did not shoot to score at game speed when they came at him.

Take a look if you have time; I don't think I am over estimating what I saw.

Unfortunately this year, our rookie owner got schooled on albatross contracts and players who don't live up to expectation. Hopefully, he'll learn. We know his intentions are good. After the promise of last year's finish and the new additions, things looked bright but it bit the dust with the Lucic hit. Apparently that was an organizational defining moment with the realization that Buffalo isn't and has never been tough enough.

Dineen might not be the best example, after I read my post I edited it, but still I think he'd do good with better organization and talent than he has in Florida. I agree that there's probably quite a few other choices, but I like Rolston's background in development especially with the slew of young guns in the Sabres system.

Keep in mind that when you're talking about Rolston's background in development, you're talking about 16 year olds. His most recent years were with the USNDTP program and prior to that, college. He needs some time with some older players before he's going to get his shot. He's currently in his first ever head coaching gig with players older than 19.

Aside from the obvious management/coaching change I'd also say we need some tougher player plus a 4th line thats willing to defend our stars and as much as I'm a fan of Gausted, thats not him, neither is it McCormick or Ellis really. Infact Finley/Kassian seem to be the only ones who have done that and thats not their role (debatably part of Finleys), albeit I think its an element Kass needs in his game.

Aside from the obvious management/coaching change I'd also say we need some tougher player plus a 4th line thats willing to defend our stars and as much as I'm a fan of Gausted, thats not him, neither is it McCormick or Ellis really. Infact Finley/Kassian seem to be the only ones who have done that and thats not their role (debatably part of Finleys), albeit I think its an element Kass needs in his game.

McCormick was in the top 10 in the league for number of fighting majors last season (I think he was #6). And he was well on his way to repeating before he got his coconut dinged. I think you are not giving Cody enough credit when you claim he's not willing to defend his mates.

That being said, he's not an intimidating fighter. And I doubt anyone is going to rank him among the best fighters anytime soon. Maybe that was the angle you were going for. I'll agree with your assessment of the others.

I don't necessarily think this team needs more fighters. It does need more scrappy players though. A little truculence on ech line and D pairing goes a long way.

McCormick was in the top 10 in the league for number of fighting majors last season (I think he was #6). And he was well on his way to repeating before he got his coconut dinged. I think you are not giving Cody enough credit when you claim he's not willing to defend his mates.

That being said, he's not an intimidating fighter. And I doubt anyone is going to rank him among the best fighters anytime soon. Maybe that was the angle you were going for. I'll agree with your assessment of the others.

I don't necessarily think this team needs more fighters. It does need more scrappy players though. A little truculence on ech line and D pairing goes a long way.

I'll go with that, I think you phrased my point better than me tbh lol

If i were in charge?

Hire Craig Patrick as adviser.

Hire Colin Campbell as General Manager.

Hire Pat LaFontaine as assistant GM.

Hire Bob Boughner as head coach.

Trade Derek Roy to Hawks for Jeremy Morin.

Trade Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford for Jhonas Hiller and Ryan Getzlaf.

Trade Brad Boyes for a pick.

Allow Jochen Hecht to go back to DEL.

Sign Tim Gleason as UFA.

Sign Jarret Stoll as UFA.

Sign Adam Burish as UFA.

Draft Filip Forsberg (cuz we wont get #1)

Thomas Vanek - Luke Adam - Jason Pominville

Filip Forsberg - Ryan Getzlaf - Zach Kassian

Ville Leino - Jarret Stoll - Jeremy Morin

Tyler Ennis - Paul Guastad - Adam Burish

Tyler Myers - Robyn Regehr

Christian Ehrhoff - Tim Gleason

MA Gragnani - Jordan Leopold

Jhonas Hiller

Jhonas Enroth

Ok, im done dreaming.

Quick question/idea/whatever you want to call it:

When you're looking at this line up I think most of us would agree that we want at least 3 new centers in the lineup by next year. Assuming we dump Roy and let Gaustad and Hecht walk (which I'm not exactly sure if I'm okay with yet), who (in the organization currently) could you see filling those holes?

Let's say they sign/trade for at least one center (preferably a true #1 center). Who do you want filling the other 3?

There's Adam, who most of us would agree is probably better suited for center. So there's one.

But then there's a drop off. Do we sign/trade more than one center? Or do we give Ellis, Leino or Hecht/Gaustad another shot next year? Or do we look to Rochester for a guy like Armia. Do you think Armia could be in the lineup by next October or does he need time in the AHL?

Lots of options here I guess. What say you? Do you want 2 or more new centers or are there guys here currently you're willing to try out?

I'll hang up and listen, haha.

Quick question/idea/whatever you want to call it:

When you're looking at this line up I think most of us would agree that we want at least 3 new centers in the lineup by next year. Assuming we dump Roy and let Gaustad and Hecht walk (which I'm not exactly sure if I'm okay with yet), who (in the organization currently) could you see filling those holes?

Let's say they sign/trade for at least one center (preferably a true #1 center). Who do you want filling the other 3?

There's Adam, who most of us would agree is probably better suited for center. So there's one.

But then there's a drop off. Do we sign/trade more than one center? Or do we give Ellis, Leino or Hecht/Gaustad another shot next year? Or do we look to Rochester for a guy like Armia. Do you think Armia could be in the lineup by next October or does he need time in the AHL?

Lots of options here I guess. What say you? Do you want 2 or more new centers or are there guys here currently you're willing to try out?

I'll hang up and listen, haha.

The way I see it, we'll need Vanek's center, Luke Adam, and a #3 center. We can re-sign Goose for the #4 role if he takes a drop in salary. I'd like to see the Sabres sign Jarret Stoll to be our #3 center. If we can't make a play for a prototype #1 center I'd be OK with Adam reprising that role next season and bringing in another 50-60 pt center for the 2nd line, Mikhail Grabovski comes to mind.

PS... Arnia plays wing.

The way I see it, we'll need Vanek's center, Luke Adam, and a #3 center. We can re-sign Goose for the #4 role if he takes a drop in salary. I'd like to see the Sabres sign Jarret Stoll to be our #3 center. If we can't make a play for a prototype #1 center I'd be OK with Adam reprising that role next season and bringing in another 50-60 pt center for the 2nd line, Mikhail Grabovski comes to mind.

PS... Arnia plays wing.

Oh, haha just going off of what it says on NHL12. Guess that's not the best solution. I like the Grabovski Idea, but again the issue of cap space comes to mind. If we acquire a big time center like Getzlaf, we'll have to pick up his contract. So I guess it will come to down how much cap space we can cut up until July 1st.

Sabres fans rejoice! For the time for change has come! Whether it's Darcy... whether it's Lindy... whether it's Miller, Roy, or Stafford.. something is on the verge of changing. Terry Pegula and the Sabres are at a breaking point. I firmly believe that a loss to Winnipeg tomorrow, which is essentially inevitable, will be the last straw. We will see some kind of change. We are this close to seeing signs of life from this organization.

Personally, I think Lindy Ruff is clueless at this point.. I constantly find myself questioning his decisions. I hate the fact that he sent Kassian down in favor of guys like Ville Leino, who arguably blew the game tonight with that turnover, or Cody McCormick, or even Matt Ellis... although Ellis has been one of the better forwards in terms of "playing his role," I'm not sure that an Ellis-type player is what they need in the lineup. However, I don't believe a coaching change is going to do the trick, we need a change of PLAYERS. Or maybe both would be beneficial-- but I don't see a coaching change happening.

I think a trade is the only option. I know people aren't real stoked on "rumors" but just throwing some names out there I've heard mentioned... Hemsky, Clowe, A Chicago Centerman Not Named Toews (Shaw?), and I'll add in Getzlaf since he's arguably the most credible rumor, coming from Paul Hamilton.

I'm not too interested in Hemsky, but I think the bottom line is I'd like to see pretty much ANYTHING happen. First and foremost, I'm at the point where I don't care if we atrociously overpay for a top line centerman-- give up Myers for Getzlaf, if that's really the offer. One could argue that goaltender is the most important position, but I don't believe that a goalies individual talent is as important as a forward--Maybe Dominik Hasek, or Patrick Roy were a different story-- but there is no modern day Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy. The #1 center position is the most important position on a hockey team and it is painfully obvious that we need to address it. There is no way that Teddy, Darcy, and Terry are oblivious to this fact.

Obviously the fanbase would be split on a Myers for Getzlaf trade -- but I'm sure Toronto fans weren't too happy about Burke giving up two first round picks for Phil Kessel at the time, but now they have one of the premiere goal scorers in the NHL locked up for two more years, and are on the verge of a playoff run. They look like a dangerous 'black horse' team. You need to take risks if you want to improve a hockey team. Maybe it doesn't work out as planned, and we miss the playoffs by a long shot anyway. I wouldn't hold it against Darcy for giving it a shot, and there's a good chance that Pegula and Co. will do what it takes to keep Getzlaf around.

A poster was recently comparing Bobby Ryan and Corey Perry to Drew Stafford.... if Ryan Getzlaf can make Drew Stafford play like Bobby Ryan, I am all for it.

Another option is Iginla... with the Cammalleri trade, it appears that Calgary is trying to make a push for the playoffs rather than "rebuild." But right now, our #1 pick is looking more an more valuable. It is likely we will have a Top 10 pick in the draft. If Calgary starts falling out of contention, maybe a Tyler Ennis, Roy/Stafford/Gragnani and our #1 pick is enough for a 35 year old Jarome Iginla with one year left on his contract. Now, personally I highly doubt an Iginla trade happens, but my main point here is the importance and value of our first round pick this year. It is a great bargaining chip to have..

Or, perhaps the plan is instead to re-stock. I don't think any sort of "blow it up" scenario is going to occur, but if you move a Roy, Stafford, or Boyes, you could likely get some nice young talent in return and begin to introduce a new "core" as players like Pominville and Vanek shift to the team "veterans." Maybe that would be the better approach, it's hard to say as a fan. You would definitely keep or first round pick if this is the plan, but surely we will start to see players be shipped off for draft picks or prospects.

There is no way ownership and management can put up with this for this long. This team is TERRIBLE. Or should I say TERRY-BULL. It's time for something to happen.. when Winnipeg does us in tomorrow, something has to happen. This can't go on.

/rant

Sabres fans rejoice! For the time for change has come! Whether it's Darcy... whether it's Lindy... whether it's Miller, Roy, or Stafford.. something is on the verge of changing. Terry Pegula and the Sabres are at a breaking point. I firmly believe that a loss to Winnipeg tomorrow, which is essentially inevitable, will be the last straw. We will see some kind of change. We are this close to seeing signs of life from this organization.

I agree with this

Personally, I think Lindy Ruff is clueless at this point.. I constantly find myself questioning his decisions. I hate the fact that he sent Kassian down in favor of guys like Ville Leino, who arguably blew the game tonight with that turnover, or Cody McCormick, or even Matt Ellis... although Ellis has been one of the better forwards in terms of "playing his role," I'm not sure that an Ellis-type player is what they need in the lineup. However, I don't believe a coaching change is going to do the trick, we need a change of PLAYERS. Or maybe both would be beneficial-- but I don't see a coaching change happening.

Lindy didn't send Kass down, DR did, and he didn't do it in favor of others for kicks and giggles, but because of cap reasons

I think a trade is the only option. I know people aren't real stoked on "rumors" but just throwing some names out there I've heard mentioned... Hemsky, Clowe, A Chicago Centerman Not Named Toews (Shaw?), and I'll add in Getzlaf since he's arguably the most credible rumor, coming from Paul Hamilton.

I'm not too interested in Hemsky, but I think the bottom line is I'd like to see pretty much ANYTHING happen. First and foremost, I'm at the point where I don't care if we atrociously overpay for a top line centerman-- give up Myers for Getzlaf, if that's really the offer. One could argue that goaltender is the most important position, but I don't believe that a goalies individual talent is as important as a forward--Maybe Dominik Hasek, or Patrick Roy were a different story-- but there is no modern day Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy. The #1 center position is the most important position on a hockey team and it is painfully obvious that we need to address it. There is no way that Teddy, Darcy, and Terry are oblivious to this fact.

Obviously the fanbase would be split on a Myers for Getzlaf trade -- but I'm sure Toronto fans weren't too happy about Burke giving up two first round picks for Phil Kessel at the time, but now they have one of the premiere goal scorers in the NHL locked up for two more years, and are on the verge of a playoff run. They look like a dangerous 'black horse' team. You need to take risks if you want to improve a hockey team. Maybe it doesn't work out as planned, and we miss the playoffs by a long shot anyway. I wouldn't hold it against Darcy for giving it a shot, and there's a good chance that Pegula and Co. will do what it takes to keep Getzlaf around.

A poster was recently comparing Bobby Ryan and Corey Perry to Drew Stafford.... if Ryan Getzlaf can make Drew Stafford play like Bobby Ryan, I am all for it.

Another option is Iginla... with the Cammalleri trade, it appears that Calgary is trying to make a push for the playoffs rather than "rebuild." But right now, our #1 pick is looking more an more valuable. It is likely we will have a Top 10 pick in the draft. If Calgary starts falling out of contention, maybe a Tyler Ennis, Roy/Stafford/Gragnani and our #1 pick is enough for a 35 year old Jarome Iginla with one year left on his contract. Now, personally I highly doubt an Iginla trade happens, but my main point here is the importance and value of our first round pick this year. It is a great bargaining chip to have..

Or, perhaps the plan is instead to re-stock. I don't think any sort of "blow it up" scenario is going to occur, but if you move a Roy, Stafford, or Boyes, you could likely get some nice young talent in return and begin to introduce a new "core" as players like Pominville and Vanek shift to the team "veterans." Maybe that would be the better approach, it's hard to say as a fan. You would definitely keep or first round pick if this is the plan, but surely we will start to see players be shipped off for draft picks or prospects.

I too would love to see something happen, but right now our players are all playing so bad, I don't know what real value to give them, or whether we under/over value them.

There is no way ownership and management can put up with this for this long. This team is TERRIBLE. Or should I say TERRY-BULL. It's time for something to happen.. when Winnipeg does us in tomorrow, something has to happen. This can't go on.

/rant

Again, agreed.

Archived