What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

I'd still go for him if it seems were out of the playoffs in a month, and get him for next season.

get ruutu, and maybe trade miller for quick before the deadline.

26yr old Quick: 18-11-6 with a 1.93gaa and a .934sv%

31yr old Miller: 10-11-2 with a 3.05gaa and a .901sv%

NOT REMOTELY POSSIBLE and that comes from me which is saying something... or nothing,

26yr old Quick: 18-11-6 with a 1.93gaa and a .934sv%

31yr old Miller: 10-11-2 with a 3.05gaa and a .901sv%

NOT REMOTELY POSSIBLE and that comes from me which is saying something... or nothing,

miller got a good resume, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted experienced goaltending in the playoffs

I agree. But I also wish the process would've started last season at the trade deadline.

I don't get that feeling at all.

I would be shocked if anything other than a token, non-difference making, trade is made. They may very well trade Roy, problem is you are not getting a difference maker by trading Roy.

The Ducks have won three in a row, they may be less willing to make a deal now and let's be honest, why would the Ducks want Roy as their top center when they a much better option in Getzlaf.

I agree. But I also wish the process would've started last season at the trade deadline.

Fair enough, but dismantling a team that was playing really well heading into the playoffs would have been unprecedented in the NHL. Even trading the upcoming UFAs like TC and Montador would've only gotten them a few draft picks.

To me the real crossroads was last summer. Instead of rebuilding the top 6, which had failed yet again in crunch time, they doubled down on it by extending Stafford, not unloading any of the other underperforming losers and giving the letters to that group. What a debacle.

At this point I have no solutions. I don't love the idea of firing DR and having a new GM conduct a trade deadline auction of 5 or 6 players, but it may be the least bad alternative.

Fair enough, but dismantling a team that was playing really well heading into the playoffs would have been unprecedented in the NHL. Even trading the upcoming UFAs like TC and Montador would've only gotten them a few draft picks.

To me the real crossroads was last summer. Instead of rebuilding the top 6, which had failed yet again in crunch time, they doubled down on it by extending Stafford, not unloading any of the other underperforming losers and giving the letters to that group. What a debacle.

At this point I have no solutions. I don't love the idea of firing DR and having a new GM conduct a trade deadline auction of 5 or 6 players, but it may be the least bad alternative.

At this point, it really feels like it is the least of all evils...problem is, we should not have gotten to this point :(

I have to say it: I feel like something is coming to an end, and I feel a bit sad about it.

Yeah and unfortuantely it's my love of and enjoyment following my favorite childhood and current team.

The better Elton John song choice here is Funeral for a friend. I really just can't watch this escapade on ice anymore the way they play and I ultimately end up feeling.

+100 QFT

I totally agree with first bolded point and I believe the choice of captains and alternates for this burning ship came from Lindy. It is only right he should go down with it.

I also think the second bolded point is really the only option at this point however hence my sadness for the team I love because I am not convinced they (the owner) will do do it.

The worst bad alternative is to allow Regier to make those decisions. I can't imagine he's capable of fixing this teams problems. He's the one that implemented them. One soft underachieving player at a time.

They have to do something. If there is a a shakeup in the next week or so, and it's effective, they can still make the playoffs. But another 2 weeks of this? The season will be over. I just can't believe that TP will have spent who knows how much on salary, locker rooms, zambonis with fricken laser beams, ice cooling systems, etc. and be content to watch the season go down the tubes without acting.

They have to do something. If there is a a shakeup in the next week or so, and it's effective, they can still make the playoffs. But another 2 weeks of this? The season will be over. I just can't believe that TP will have spent who knows how much on salary, locker rooms, zambonis with fricken laser beams, ice cooling systems, etc. and be content to watch the season go down the tubes without acting.

My thoughts exactly. How much water does a ship need to take on before someone acknowledges that we are just about to sink?

This is the 23rd day since I started this thread. It was obvious to me, and I would guess to everyone else here, that they needed to do something 23 days ago.

On that day, they were 16-13-3 and 1 point out of the playoffs. Since then, they've gone 2-8 and are now 5 points out of the playoffs.

I would also assume that the trade value of virtually everyone on the roster has declined since then.

This is on Darcy.

This is the 23rd day since I started this thread. It was obvious to me, and I would guess to everyone else here, that they needed to do something 23 days ago.

On that day, they were 16-13-3 and 1 point out of the playoffs. Since then, they've gone 2-8 and are now 5 points out of the playoffs.

I would also assume that the trade value of virtually everyone on the roster has declined since then.

This is on Darcy.

It is on Darcy no question about it.. The more I get away from the emotional anger of watchinig this team flounder for 5 years with this crap of a team he put together the more I just think it might not be such a terrible thing to just bottom out. If you look at the top teams like the Penguins, Blackhawks, the Canucks they all have a few things in common. Top draft picks. We have been picking just out of the top tier since Turgeon was drafted. If it wasnt for some good trades that brought us Lafontaine and Hasek we wouldve been in for some very disturbing hockey the past 20 years...Give me some Crosby, Kane, Toews, Malkin type picks to build around and cheer for. Enuff of the mid round picks and hoping they turn into a Mogilny type player...Your not gonna be able to trade for a star type player unless you have one to give back..

Maybe Regeirs biggest mistake in hindsight was not letting 06 be the hat trick of all horrible offseasons and not matching Vaneks offer sheet and taking the multiple picks he wouldve recieved from Edmonton.

This is on Darcy.

exactly. everyone needs to stop drinking the Regier/Ruff cool-aid.

Right now I think it's more on Ruff. His line juggling and misuse of players is mind boggling. He broke up what was, at the time, the most productive line in the NHL. Why, because Jochen Hecht, a guy who actually is not even a center, got healthy?

He needs to play guys where they play the best, not where he wants them to fit.

I have to say it: I feel like something is coming to an end, and I feel a bit sad about it.

That's the way these things go.

One reminisces about some good times (in this case 4 ECF and one SCF, President's Trophy and probably a few others along the way) ... but lament for what could have been and tend to focus on the disasters along the way that have lead to this point and the shambles "it" has tuned into.

The overall thought process invariably leads to sadness.

It is on Darcy no question about it.. The more I get away from the emotional anger of watchinig this team flounder for 5 years with this crap of a team he put together the more I just think it might not be such a terrible thing to just bottom out. If you look at the top teams like the Penguins, Blackhawks, the Canucks they all have a few things in common. Top draft picks. We have been picking just out of the top tier since Turgeon was drafted. If it wasnt for some good trades that brought us Lafontaine and Hasek we wouldve been in for some very disturbing hockey the past 20 years...Give me some Crosby, Kane, Toews, Malkin type picks to build around and cheer for. Enuff of the mid round picks and hoping they turn into a Mogilny type player...Your not gonna be able to trade for a star type player unless you have one to give back..

Maybe Regeirs biggest mistake in hindsight was not letting 06 be the hat trick of all horrible offseasons and not matching Vaneks offer sheet and taking the multiple picks he wouldve recieved from Edmonton.

I'm not a believer in the "bottom out to get high draft picks" approach. I'd much rather see an aggressive rebuild like the Flyers put together after the Sabres crushed them in 2006.

As for Vanek, I was dead set against letting him go and taking the picks in 2007, but now I'm not sure. I do think though that that was not DR's decision -- that was part of the TG/LQ CF that has crippled the team to this day.

I'm not a believer in the "bottom out to get high draft picks" approach. I'd much rather see an aggressive rebuild like the Flyers put together after the Sabres crushed them in 2006. As for Vanek, I was dead set against letting him go and taking the picks in 2007, but now I'm not sure. I do think though that that was not DR's decision -- that was part of the TG/LQ CF that has crippled the team to this day.

Edmonton did bottom out the next few years, but by the same token would they have if they'd have taken Vanek? Impossible to see if it would have made us better imho. I'm happy we have Vanek, not sure there are that many goal scorers of his ilk around so why not keep the one we have.

Archived